Yes.
今晚我们不是约好了和,呃……
Uh, aren’t we supposed to have dinner with, uh…
和音乐会的那两人吃晚饭吗?
with, uh, th-those concert people tonight?
– 怀曼一家
– 是的,是他们
– The Wymans.
– Yeah, them.
– 是的
– 克莱尔,昨天晚上……
– Yes, we are.
– [Sighs] Claire, about last night…
– 嗯……
– 看报纸
– Uh…
– Read the paper.
报纸说了什么吗?
Does it say something about it?
她有个名字……
It had a name…
卡罗琳·艾弗瑞
Caroline Avery.
她23岁
She was 23 years old.
她是被强♥奸♥后掐死的
She’d been raped and then smothered to death.
她来自贝克斯菲尔德
She was from Bakersfield.
谢谢
Thank you.
嗨,亲爱的,我可以……
Hey, baby. Could I, uh, get a…
某个日子吗?伙计
Some day, huh, buddy?
厄尔,你在这干什么?
Earl, what are you doing here?
我来看你。还能有别的事吗?
I’m here to see you. What else?
亲爱的,我到处找你
Baby, I’ve looked everywhere for you.
我昨晚在那拖车房♥里,而你不在那儿
I was at the trailer last night. You weren’t there.
你的车在,但你不在
Your car was there, but you weren’t there.
亲爱的,那你在哪里过夜?看看你的头发
Honey, where you been sleeping? Look at your hair.
我……我在外面睡的
I… I slept outside.
我不想在我们的床上睡觉
[Sniffles] I didn’t wanna sleep in our bed.
大家在看着呢。你要点些什么吗?
People are looking. You wanna order something?
是的,你睡在大米做的床上怎么样?
Yeah. How about you on a bed of rice?
闭嘴
Cut it out.
– 想来杯咖啡吗?
– 哦,好的,给我来点咖啡
– You want a cup of coffee?
– Oh, yeah. Give me some coffee.
– 来一个鸡蛋三明治怎么样?
– 蛋黄要打散吗?
– How about an egg sandwich?
– With a broke yolk?
对,蛋黄要打散
Yeah, with a broke yolk.
谢谢,亲爱的。你怎么来到这里的?
Thanks, baby. How did you get here?
佩格捎我来的,出事之后我不想开车
Peg brought me. I didn’t wanna use the car after what happened.
嗯,对的
Yeah, right.
你什么时候下班?
What time you gettin’ off?
– 大概一个小时
– 我用一种你很快会适应的方式来……
– About an hour.
– What do you say I chauffeur you around…
开车带你逛,你觉得怎么样?
to the manner in which you are soon to become accustomed?
– 我肯定
– 我在让我们离开这里,亲爱的
– I’m sure.
– I’m getting us out of here, baby.
离开道尼
I’m getting us out of Downey.
直到车轮脱落,亲爱的
Till the wheels come off, baby.
直到车轮脱落
Till the wheels come off.
那是个美丽的女士还是什么吗?
Is that a fine-lookin’ woman or what?
抱歉,能再说一次吗?
I beg your pardon?
你想娶这样的女人吗?
How’d you like to be married to something like that?
我是的
I am.
嘘嘘
– [Moans]
– Shh, shh, shh.
妈妈,爸爸
Mommy, Daddy.
该死!
Shit!
啊,愚蠢的爸爸睡在妈妈身上
Ah, silly Daddy, sleeping on Mommy.
爸爸,奥斯丁在哭,吵醒我了
– [Sighs]
– Daddy, Austin’s crying and he woke me up.
– 为什么?
– 他想念苏西
– What is it?
– He misses Suzy.
好,你去叫奥斯丁过来,还有威尔也叫上
Well, you go tell Austin to come in here, and Will too.
– 我有好消息,是个惊喜
– 是关于苏西的吗?
– I got some good news, a surprise.
– About Suzy?
可能吧,你去找他们回这里来
Maybe. You go and get them and bring ’em back here.
威尔、奥斯丁
Will, Austin.
醒醒,醒醒
Wake up, wake up.
好了
Okay.
[Crying]
过来,没事。会没事的。听着
Come here. It’s okay. It’s gonna be all right. Listen.
– 孩子们,你们能保密吗?
– 可以
– Kids, can you keep a secret?
– Yeah.
好的,爸爸昨晚做了一件他从没做过的事
Okay, Daddy did something last night he shouldn’t have done.
所以你们要保密。爸爸昨晚去了警♥察♥局……
That’s why you have to keep it a secret. Daddy went down to the police station…
– 为苏西登了寻人启示……
– 寻人启示是什么?
– and put an A.P.B. Out on Suzy.
– An A.P.B.?
你没想过为狗登寻人启示吧?但我做了
You’re not supposed to put A.P.B.’s out on dogs, but I did it.
然后我今天早上接到一个电♥话♥
And I got a call this morning.
我想他们知道苏西在哪里
I think they think they know where Suzy is.
– 真的吗?
– 是的,等我喝完咖啡……
– Really?
– Yes. And as soon as I have my coffee…
我就去看看能不能找到她,好吗?
I’m gonna go down and see if I can find her, okay?
– 你们现在去穿好衣服
– 我也要去
– Now you guys go and get dressed.
– I wanna go with you.
不,你们去穿衣服。看能不能找到我们的小狗吧
No. You go get dressed, and we’ll see if we can’t find our little doggy.
穿上衣服,Will,按你♥爸♥爸说的做
Put your clothes on, Will. Do what your dad says.
吉恩,别现在。孩子们会……
Gene, not now. The kids will…
噢
Oh.
这是圣特蕾莎的作品中的几行散文……
There’s a line of prose from the writings of St. Teresa…
跟我想的越来越像了
which seemed more and more appropriate as I thought toward this.
所以我要好好考虑这句子
So I want to offer a meditation on the sentence.
圣特蕾莎,373年前的伟大女性……
St. Teresa, that extraordinary woman who lived 373 years ago…
说过:“言语引导你走向事实……
said, “Words lead to deeds.
“为灵魂做准备,让灵魂准备好……
“They prepare the soul, make it ready…
“让灵魂变得温柔。”
“and move it to tenderness.”
只有这样表达,这个想法才那么明了和美丽
There’s a clarity and beauty in that thought expressed in just this way.
这个句子也漏了一点……
There’s also something a little foreign in the sentiment…
在我们这个时候来看……
coming to our attention in these times…
你好吗?先生,我叫奥布瑞·贝尔
How are you today, sir? My name is Aubrey Bell.
– 你一定是威瑟斯先生
– 我是
– You must be Mr. Weathers.
– Yeah.
我这里有些东西要给威瑟斯太太,她赢的
I have something here for Mrs. Weathers. She won something.
– 她在家吗?
– 哦,她不在家
– Is Mrs. Weathers home?
– Oh, she’s not at home.
– 她赢了什么?
– 我会告诉你的。我可以进来吗?
– What did she win?
– I’ll have to show you. May I come in?
我现在很忙。告诉我是什么东西吧
I’m kind of busy right now. Tell me what it is.
她赢了一个真空吸尘器和地毯香波,无线的
She won a free vacuuming and carpet shampoo, no strings attached.
我还可以清洗你的床垫
I’ll even do your mattress.
床垫数月数年所堆积的东西会让你非常地惊讶
You’d be surprised what could build up under a mattress over the months, over the years.
– 枕头也一样
– 真的吗?
– Same with the pillows.
– Really?
是的,先生,你今天走运了
Yes, sir. This is your lucky day.
嗯,我能看出你这里出了些问题
Well, I can see you’ve had some kind of problem here.
那完全不会影响我的工作的
That doesn’t affect my work any.
要看的我都看过了
I’ve seen about everything there is to see.
– 那你今天想干什么?
– 要不去海滩吧
– So, what do you want to do today?
– Maybe go to the beach.
没门。谁载我们去?
[Scoffs] No way. Who’s gonna drive us?
– 我不知道。我们问问警♥察♥吧
– 好的,走
– I don’t know. Let’s go look at the cop.
– Yeah, come on.
– 警♥察♥很怪诞
– 他在看着我们
– Cops freak me out.
– He’s looking at us.
– 那个警♥察♥在干什么?
– 嗨,小伙子
– Oh, what is that cop doing?
– Hello, boys.
– 嗨,有什么问题吗?
– 没问题
– Hi. What’s the problem?
– No problem.
– 我得拿走那条狗,但是……
– 什么?为什么?
– 拿走?拿走?爸爸!爸爸!
– I’m gonna have to take that dog, though.
– What? Why?
– Take? Take? Dad! Dad!
– 怎么啦?
– 他要带走我们的狗
– Yeah? What’s the matter?
– He’s taking my dog.
嗨,抱歉,警官,这里发生什么事了?
Hey, hey. Excuse me. Officer, what’s going on here anyway?
– 你养这狗多久了,先生?
– 那又有什么区别啊?这是我小孩的狗