噢那在月底总数的 不足是什么?
Oh, what’s a little shortage in the books at the end of the month?
一个好的银行职员 知道该怎么做的对吗查莉?
Any good bank clerk can cover up alittle shortage. Isn’t that right, Charlie
– 大家都听到了 – 那就好大家都知道这里是银行
– Everyone can hear you. – Good. We all know what banks are.
看上去很正常但在内里 就不知道有什么发生了
Look all right, but noone knows what goes on when they lock the doors.
但骗不了我祖 带我去见你们的经理吧
Can’t fool me, though. Well, Joe, let’s see your president.
– 你还要开个户口吗查理? – 我就为此而来啊
Still want to open that account, Charles? That’s why I’m here.
那你在这里先等一下 我去找格林先生
Well, uh, you wait right here. I’ll see if Mr Greene’s busy.
查理他不喜欢 开那种玩笑的
And, uh, Charles, he doesn’t care much for jokes about banks.
我想四万美金对他来说 肯定不是玩笑了吧
Well, $40,000 is no joke. Not to him, I bet.
那是我的一个玩笑 这个世界都在拿我开玩笑
It’s a joke to me. The whole world’s a joke to me.
我很快回来
I’ll be right back.
你不应该那样逗我爸爸
You shouldn’t tease Papa like that.
我不是要逗他 我只是不喜欢这里的气氛
I wasn’t teasing him. I just hate this stuffy atmosphere.
他叫我们进去啊
They’re waving for us to come in.
– 你好格林先生 – 你好查莉
– Hello, Mr Greene. – Hello, Charlie.
格林先生这位是我内弟 奥克里先生
Well, Mr Greene, this is my brother-in-law, Mr Oakley.
– 你好 – 你好奥克里先生
– How do you do? – How are you, Mr Oakley?
格林先生我打算 在这里逗留一段时间
Well, Mr Greene, I was thinking of settling down here for a while.
– 强大的国家
Great country. Great country.
– 当然你最近在干什么?
We think so. What have you been doing?
为这里做点贡献
I suppose you might call me a promoter. I’ve done a little bit of everything.
问题是当我赚到钱 我就对钱没有了兴趣
The only trouble is that once I make the money, I’m not interested in it.
对钱没有了兴趣?
Not interested in money?
外面有很多钱 在等着有人去捡啊
You know there’s money just lying around waiting for somebody to pick it up.
我想我应该 把一些零钱存起来
I thought maybe I’d put some of my loose cash away for safekeeping.
很自然我就想到了祖工作的 银行零钱?
– In the bank where Joe works, naturally. – Loose cash?
我有个习惯在旅行的时候 带着大量的现金
Well, I got in a habit of carrying a lot of cash with me when I was travelling.
– 是个危险的习惯啊奥克里先生 – 我还没丢过一分钱呢格林先生
– A dangerous habit. – Never lost a penny in my life.
我想上天是 保佑那些蠢人和恶棍的
I guess heaven takes care of fools and scoundrels.
– 是啊 – 三万三万五四万
– Yes. – Thirty, thirty-five…
四万开个户口好吗?
Forty thousand. Shall we start with forty?
只要填一张资料纸就可以了 奥克里先生细节的问题
– If you’ll just write out a deposit slip. – Ah, details.
你遇到我这样注意 细节的人就对了格林先生
I’m glad to see you’re a man who understands details, Mr Greene.
那些对我是最重要的 每个细节都很重要
They’re most important to me. Most important. All the little details.
噢不好意思 不知道你们在忙
Oh, dear. I’m sorry. I didn’t know you were busy.
– 我们迟点来吧 – 进来吧既然已经来了
– We can come back. – Come in, now that you’re here.
格林太太这位是我叔叔 奥克里先生
Mrs Greene, I’d like you to meet my uncle, Mr Oakley.
查理叔叔这两位是 格林太太和波特太太
Uncle Charlie, this is Mrs Greene and Mrs Potter.
格林太太波特小姐
Mrs Greene, Miss Potter.
是波特太太
Mrs Potter.
– 我可不那么认为 – 是吗?
– Something about you made me think – – Yes?
– 怎么了玛格莉? – 我们想购物但现在只有五块钱
– What did you want, Margaret? – I need some money to go shopping.
做寡妇也有一点是好的
There’s one good thing in being a widow, isn’t there?
就是不用问丈夫要钱花
You don’t have to ask your husband for money.
– 给你 – 噢谢谢
– Here you are. – Oh, thank you.
再见奥克里先生 波特太太
– Goodbye, Mr Oakley. – Mrs Potter.
再见格林太太
Bye, Mrs Greene.
好了格林先生
There. There you are, Mr Greene.
– 查莉我们去吃午饭吧 – 再见奥克里先生
– Charlie, let’s see the town. – Goodbye, Mr Oakley.
– 再见格林先生 – 有问题随时可以来查询
– Bye, Mr Greene. – Call on us for advice anytime.
– 谢谢 – 祖送奥克里先生出门吧
– Thank you. – Joe, you may see Mr Oakley out.
祖只要你醒目点 他的位置迟早是你的
Joe, keep your eyes open. You’ll have his job in a couple of years.
他回来了
Here he is.
那些做调查的人来了 早了一个小时啊
Those must be the questionnaire men. They’re a whole hour early.
– 我不会见他们的 – 别担心
I won’t see them.
你不想的话就不见吧 我明白的
You don’t have to if you don’t want to. I’ll see that you don’t.
小心他们对你母亲做什么
The way they got around your mother.
我想她要警惕一点
I thought she’d have better sense.
– 你好 – 你好
– How do you do? – How do you do?
– 你们应该就是来做调查的吧 – 我是格翰牛顿太太
– You must have come to interview us. – My name is Graham, Miss Newton.
– 你好 – 这位是桑德斯
– Oh, how do you do? – And this is Fred Saunders.
你好 请进来
How do you do? Won’t you come in?
– 我去叫妈妈 – 谢谢
– I’ll call my mother. – Thank you.
妈妈他们进来了
Mother, the government men are here.
请做
Will you sit down?
你们说是四点的 现在还没准备好啊
But you said 4:00. Nothing’s ready now.
我丈夫还在银行 而这里…
My husband is still at the bank and-and the house is –
我们就是想这样 牛顿太太
That’s all we want now, Mrs Newton, some pictures of the house.
桑德斯会在周围拍照 而我就问你问题
Saunders can get busy and I’d like to ask a few questions.
好的但我希望你们 等我把房♥子收拾好了
Alright, but I do wish you’d waited until I had the house looking its best.
我想在这里安放鲜花 还有在厨房♥里挂新的窗窗布
I wanted flowers around and fresh curtains in the kitchen.
还有很多东西我想你们拍照的
And there are a lot of things I don’t want you to photograph.
– 你们拥有这房♥子吗? – 不是房♥子拥有我们
– You said you own the house? – Own it? It owns us.
有一样东西开始要修理的话 整间房♥子都要修理了
No sooner do I get one thing fixed than something else gets broken.
要再刷一下油漆…
And then it needs fresh paint and th-
桑德斯先生 不好意思…
Mr Saunders, I’m very sorry
请不要给这张椅子拍照
but you simply cannot take a picture with that chair in it.
– 要套一个沙发套 – 你们家有六个人?
– It needs a new slipcover. – And there are, uh, six in your family?
– 是五个 – 五个?但是…
– Five. – Five? But –
我叔叔只是来探望我们的
Well, my uncle ‘ s just visiting.
我说过他的 他是从东部来的
I told you about him. He’s here from the East.
我叔叔不希望有什么麻烦
My uncle doesn’t want to be bothered with a lot of questions.
做调查的时候我们要…
Well, you see, on a survey, we usually –
他对调查不感兴趣…
He’s not interested in a survey
我答应过他不会骚扰他的
and I promised him he wouldn ‘ t be bothered.
我们希望你们都参与
Well, we’d like it if we could get all of you.
想了解你们做什么 和想做些什么
You know, your opinions, what you do or what you want to do.
我叔叔的意见很特别的 我想你们不会接受
My uncle’s opinions aren’t average and I’m afraid they wouldn’t help you.
我想每个人都有自己的思想
I think when someone asks for privacy, they should have it.
其实我们这次的目的是…
Well, we’ll… The whole idea of this thing is that –
格翰先生我想你们应该 选择另外的家庭
Mr Graham, perhaps you’d better choose another family.
我们也有这样做的 但你们的家庭是…
We’ll do anything you say, of course, but this family seemed right and –
是一个很好的家庭
It is a nice family.
查莉你为什么 不让他问下去呢?
Charlie, let the young men go ahead, so long as they’re here.
那好吧
Well, alright.
好的桑德斯 去拍些照片吧
OK. Saunders, go ahead and get another shot.
牛顿太太可以告诉 我你丈夫在哪里工作吗?
Mrs Newton, what organisations do you and your husband belong to?
在厨房♥照一张好吗?
How about a picture in the kitchen?
我想不是很适合
Well, I’m afraid the kitchen isn’t quite the way I’d like it.
过来
Come along.
牛顿太太 你要先打鸡蛋吧
If you’ll start by breakin’ an egg, Mrs Newton.
噢不不应该先打蛋的
Oh, but you don’t start a cake by breaking an egg.
要先把牛油和糖放进去
You have to put the butter and sugar in first.
有没有调查 我都不会先打蛋的
Survey or no survey, I’m not going to start by breaking an egg.
我要做一个枫叶蛋糕 我弟弟很爱吃的
I thought I’d make a maple cake. My brother Charles loves maple cake.
– 你弟弟做什么的? – 我想他什么都做
What does your brother do? I guess he just does about everything.
– 是什么工作? – 应该是做生意的男人都是那样
What does he do? He’s just in business. You know, the way men are.
我丈夫在银行 但我想查理是生意人
My husband works in a bank, but I think Charles is just in business.
如果你要在 我打蛋的时候拍照
If you really want a picture of me breaking an egg,
那就要等我把 牛油和糖放进去
you’ll have to wait till I cream the butter and sugar.
我会等的
I’ll wait.
我可以到楼上看看吗?
I wonder if we could take a look upstairs.
请你带我去吧 你妈妈会叫我的好的
You show us, and your mother can call us when she’s ready.
桑德斯先生
– Alright. – If you’d rather wait, Mr Saunders.
加蛋的时间要很及时
Folding in the eggs has to be done just right.
不能让它等得太久
I can ‘ t beat them and let them stand.
我一听到你打蛋的声音 就马上下来
The minute I hear you’ve broken the eggs, I’ll come right down.
好的
Yes.
我不知道你想找什么
I really don’t see what you want to look up here for.
那间房♥是谁的?本来 是我的现在查理叔叔住着
Whose room is that? It’s mine. My uncle’s using it now, though.
我想知道 里面的布局是怎样的
I’d like to see what your room looks like. Typical girl, typical room.
但我叔叔正在休息
Typical of you to ask. My uncle’s resting.
我不想打扰他
I really don’t want to disturb him.
– 那是后楼梯吗? – 没错可以到大厅的
– Is there a back stairs? – Mm-hm. Right down the hall.
我和你打赌 你叔叔不在里面
I’ll bet you 50 cents that your uncle isn’t in there.
打赌很无聊的
Oh, betting’s silly.
你只是想进去拍照
All you want to do is photograph my room, doesn’t he?
我知道叔叔在里面
– That’s it. – Besides, I know my uncle’s in there.
但我还是认为他在里面 我们进去看看吧
Alright, I’ll still bet he isn’t. Let me knock and see.
我先敲门
Oh, I’ll knock.