Pete!
我们祈祷吧
Let us pray.
仁慈宽厚的主啊
O, god, who alone are ever merciful and sparing of punishment…
我们代表您的仆人彼得 谦卑地向您祷告
…humbly we pray you in behalf of the soul of your servant, peter…
今天您把他从这个世界带走
…whom you have commanded to go forth today from this world.
请别把他交给敌人 也别将他永远忘记
Do not hand him over to the enemy, and do not forget him forever…
请把这个灵魂交给神圣的天使
…but command that this soul be taken up by the holy angels…
带回天堂 既然他对您心存希望
…and brought home to paradise. so that, since he hoped…
和信任 请别让他遭受地狱的惩罚
…and believed in you, he may not undergo the punishments of hell….
-很抱歉 他是个好朋友 -谢谢
-i’m so sorry. he was a friend. -thank you.
我主保佑 阿门
Through christ our lord. amen.
你没事吧?
You okay?
你想回家吗?
You wanna just go home?
我要去南本德
I’m going to south bend.
现在不是时候
Now is not the time.
如果我现在不走 对你对我对任何人都不好
If I don’t go now, I’ll never be any good for you or for me or anybody.
很抱歉
I’m sorry.
如果你一定要去的话 那只能一个人去了
…if you have to go, then you’ll have to go alone.
我明白
I know.
我很抱歉
I’m sorry.
爸爸
Dad.
你在这里做什么?
What are you doing here?
你可以暂时离开几周
You can take a couple of weeks off.
你爷爷操劳了一辈子
Your grandfather saved all of his life…
才把我们家带到这里
…to bring the family to this country.
他在牧场有个不错的工作 还有栋不错的小屋
He got a good job in the stockyards. he had a nice little house…
在芝加哥南部
…south chicago.
我那时大概12岁
I was about 1 2.
有人鼓动他搬到这里
Somebody sold him on the idea he ought to move to the country…
做个乳牛场农民
…and become a dairy farmer.
他买♥♥了一些土地 养了好几百头奶牛
…he buys some land, you know, and gets a couple hundred cows.
五个月内 所有的奶牛都患病死亡
Within five months, every one of those cows was dead with disease.
那时正值大萧条时期
It was the depression.
地卖♥♥不掉
Couldn’t sell the land.
也找不到工作
There was no work.
有一天
So one day…
他离家出走了
…he took off.
再没回来
Didn’t come back.
我和兄弟们被迫分开
My brothers and me, we split up…
和亲戚朋友住在一起
…to live with friends and relatives.
追逐一个不切实际的梦想
Chasing a stupid dream…
只能使你和你周围的人心痛
…causes nothing but you and everyone around you heartache.
圣母大学是给有钱的孩子
Notre dame is for rich kids…
聪明的孩子
…smart kids…
和伟大的运动员上的 并不是给我们
…great athletes. it’s not for us.
你是鲁帝格家的一员
You’re a ruettiger.
这没什么不好 你同样可以生活得不错
There’s nothing wrong with that. you can have a damn nice life.
弗兰克将会接管二号♥车间
Frank is gonna take over plant number two.
几年后 他会比我和约翰赚得都多
A couple years, he’ll make more than me and johnny.
他负责工厂的发展计划
He’s in charge of the expansion program.
我不想成为弗兰克或是约翰
I don’t wanna be frank or john.
打扰了 我想找人谈谈来这里上学的事
Excuse me, I need to see somebody about going to school here.
现在吗?
Now?
招生办公室还有几个小时才开门
Admissions office doesn’t open for another couple of hours yet.
总有人可以现在见我吧
There’s gotta be somebody I can talk to now.
麻烦你了
Please?
那你可以和神父谈谈 也许那是你需要的 孩子
Well, you could talk to a priest. maybe that’s what you need, son.
好的 谢谢
Yeah, I’d appreciate that.
稍等
Just a minute.
鲁帝格先生?
Mr. ruettiger?
-鲁迪 -我是卡维纳神父
-rudy. -i’m father cavanaugh.
你考虑这个决定多久了?
How long have you thought about this decision?
有很长时间了
For as long as I can remember–
你有按步骤走 研究过流程吗?
Have you taken the proper steps, investigated the process?
-是的 我还有很多东西要学 但是… -你是否对
-yes. I have more to learn, but– -are you fully aware…
必须作出的牺牲有明确的认识?
…of the sacrifices you’ll have to make?
是的
I am.
我会不惜一切代价
I’ll do whatever it takes.
你今天来这儿是为了什么?
What brought you here today?
我刚从我最好朋友的葬礼上赶来 他说…
I just came from my best friend’s funeral. he said that–
当然
Of course.
你说”当然”是什么意思?
What do you mean, ”of course”?
经历人生剧变的人们
Well, it’s very common for people…
往往会想通过成为神父来得到解脱
…suffering a crisis to seek escape into the cloth.
-我们建议一个悲痛的… -成为神父得到解脱?
-we recommend a grieving– -escape into the cloth?
这只是我们用于指代想成为神父
That’s just an expression that we use…
来逃离情感或心理上伤痛的
…for those who are running away from emotional or psychological pain…
人们的一种说法
…by choosing priesthood.
你认为我想成为神父?
You think I want to become a priest?
难道不是吗?
Don’t you?
我没有冒犯的意思 但我想那不适合我
Nothing against being a priest, but I don’t think it’s for me.
那你来这儿是为什么?
Why are you here?
我想到圣母大学念书
I want to go to school at notre dame.
你申请了吗?
Well, have you applied?
没有 即使我努力了我的成绩也从未出色过
No, my grades have never been very good, even though I tried.
但我会更加努力 如果需要的话我可以一天学20个小时
But I’ll try harder. I’ll study 20 hours a day if I have to.
并不是谁都可以上这所大学的
This university, it’s not for everybody.
我从很小的时候起就想来这念书了
Ever since I was a kid, I wanted to go to school here.
而且从那时起每个人都说这是不可能的
And ever since I was a kid, everyone said it couldn’t be done.
在我的一生中
My whole life,
大家一直在告诉我能做什么 不能做什么
People have been telling me what I could do and couldn’t do.
我也一直听信他们的话
I’ve always listened to them, believed in what they said.
我再也不想这样了
I don’t want to do that anymore.
好吧 鲁迪先生
Okay, mr. rudy.
这样吧
Here’s the deal…
圣十字二年制专科学院就在附近 我可以让你在那念一学期
…holy cross junior college is nearby. I can get you one semester there.
你要是修满学分的话就可以念第二个学期
You make grades, you get another semester.
或许等你有个好成绩时
Maybe with a good gpa…
你就有机会上圣母大学了
…you might have a chance of getting into notre dame.
嘿 孩子
Hey, kid!
你不允许进来的
You’re not supposed to be here!
这个地方很特别 是吧?
Hey, this place is really something else, huh?
有一天我会从那条通道跑入这座球场的
Someday, I’m gonna come out of that tunnel and run onto this field!
好吧 反正不会是今天
Well, it ain’t gonna be this day.
我是来这儿为圣母大学打球的
I’m here to play football for the irish.
帕斯基恩教练知道吗?
Coach parseghian know about it?
不 他还不知道
No, not yet.
那你最好先告诉他
Well, maybe you best tell him first.
是 你说得对
Yeah, you’re right.
我应该这么做
Yeah, that’s what I should do.
谢了
Thanks.
回头见
I’ll see you around.
他知道你来吗?
Is he expecting you?
我不会耽误太久的
This’ll just take a second.
-请等一下 -教练?
-now just a moment– -coach?
-我能和你说几句吗? -我很抱歉 教练 我试过阻止他了
-can I talk to you for a second? -i’m sorry, coach, I tried.
-没关系 我来处理吧 -需要关门吗?
-no, it’s all right. I’ve got it. -shall I close the door?
-找我做什么 孩子? -我叫鲁迪 鲁帝格
-how can I help you, son? -i’m rudy ruettiger.
我来这儿是想谈谈为圣母大学打球的事
I’m here to talk about playing football for notre dame.
我们的陪练选拔日在两周以前进行过了
Our walk-on tryout date was two weeks ago.
我不是说今年 我打算在明年春天加入
I’m not talking about this year. I was thinking about next springtime.
你是这里的学生吗?
Are you a student here?
不 我在圣十字学院读书 但我会成为这里的学生
No. I’m at holy cross. but I’m gonna be a student here.
自从小时候能够记事起
I’ve been a notre dame fan for as long as I can remember,
我就一直是圣母大学的球迷
Since I was a little kid.
我在高中就开始… 我能坐下吗?
In high school, I started– is it all right if I sit down?
我在高中就开始打角卫
In high school, I started at cornerback.
我不是队里速度最快或是个子最大的
I wasn’t the quickest guy on the team or the biggest…
但我在队中负责领导拦截
…but I led the team in tackles.
但是话说回来
But anyway…
我在一家炼钢厂工作了四年

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!