because you asked him?
天啊!你不了解萨姆 我可说不动他
Good gracious, you don’t know Sam. He’s as hard as nails.
我可以保证 这都是他的意思
No, you can take my word for it. The whole thing was his idea.
我不明白 保拉?
I can’t tell you what it means, Paula.
你是要我去一个新的地方 重新开始 寻找梦想…
To be someone again, to be wanted.
这都是你替我做的
It’s all your doing.
你现在好多了!
How you do run on.
一说起话来 就停不了啦!
There’s no stopping you once you’ve started.
现在你吃晚饭
You just eat your supper.
我下去一会儿就上来 到时间了我就送你去车站
I’ll go down and I’ll be up again in time to fetch you for the train.
再见
Goodbye.
– 照常吗? – 谢谢 毕夫
– The usual? – Please, Biffer.
萨姆 他真的很高兴 真希望你能听到他说的话
Sam, he’s as pleased as punch. I wish you could have heard him.
你真是个好人
You are an angel.
没什么的
That’s all right, old girl.
这给了他很多信心 让他知道了自己想要什么
It’s given him confidence just knowing that he’s wanted.
这些东西对他的病很有帮助
That’s all he needs to get well.
– 这是你的 – 谢谢 毕夫
– There you are. – Thank you, Biffer.
晚上好 先生 最近怎么样?
Evening, Mr. W. What’s it to be?
有好有坏 可能更糟
Half and half, and rush it, will you?
现在他们都盯得我很严
They’ve been watching me like hawks…
自从停战日那天我犯了个错以后
since I blotted me copybook Armistice Day.
什么错?
Why?
一个疯子趁着大雾跑了
One of our loonies slipped off in the fog…
那天是我值班
while I was supposed to be watching the gate.
一下子就跑了 什么都没留下
Got clean away, uniform and all.
不一定吧? 你们抓他回来了吗?
No. Really? But you got him back, didn’t you?
还没有 不过我们会的
Not yet, but we shall.
– 是个什么样的疯子? – 我要回去睡了
– What sort of a bloke? – It’s getting late.
个子高高的 黑头发 有点迟钝
Tallish, dark hair, shuffles a bit.
说话有困难 好像永远在想什么事情似的
Can’t get his words out. Always thinking something different.
我想他并不危险 是吧?
He’s not dangerous, I suppose?
我们这里从没听说过有疯子 一切都很平静
There’s no saying with loonies. Quiet as mice for weeks.
突然听到这个消息 感觉好像有人拿着斧头在追你似的
Then all of a sudden, up and after you with an ax.
萨姆 我去吃晚饭 你来吗?
Sam, I’m going in to supper. You coming?
马上就来 保拉
Just a moment, Paula.
– 埃拉 你来吗? – 来了
– Ella, coming? – Coming.
时间到了 是吗? 快12:30了
It’s time, isn’t it? Nearly 12:30.
– 史密斯 – 我准备好了
– Smithy. – I’m all ready.
坐下来 好吗?
Sit down a minute, will you?
出了什么问题吗?
There’s nothing wrong, is there?
史密斯 我要和你谈谈
Smithy, I’ve got to talk to you.
我实话实说吧 萨姆不愿意带你走了
I won’t beat about the bush. Sam won’t take you.
不带我走了?
Won’t take me?
刚才酒馆里来了一个人 他是从疯人院来的
There was a man from the asylum in the bar just now.
他告诉大家你是逃出来的
He told everybody about your escape.
萨姆认为带着你太危险了
Sam feels it’s too risky taking you.
我想他可能是对的
I think perhaps he’s right.
我想你也许应该回疯人院去
I think perhaps you should go back to the asylum…
直到你完全康复 然后…
until you’re all well again, and then…
回疯人院?
Go back?
这是为你好 史密斯
It is best, Smithy.
你需要有人看护 需要有熟悉你病情的医生
You need care, and you need doctors that understand your case.
我也觉得这很可怕 可是为了你的病情…
I feel dreadful about it, but it’s for your sake.
萨姆也想帮你
Sam wants to help…
但他说我没有权利带你走
but he says I have no right to take you.
他说我在拿你的病情冒险
He says I’d be risking your sanity.
也许 拿你的生命冒险 你明白吗?
Your life, perhaps. You do understand, don’t you?
你不会生我的气吧? 你不会认为是我出♥卖♥♥♥了你吧?
You’re not angry with me? You don’t think that I’ve gone back on you?
我并不是害怕带你走
It’s not that I’m afraid.
因为我认为他们是对的 大家都认为你应该回去
It’s because I think it’s right. They were all against me, all of them.
如果我认为他们是错的 我一个人也会带你走的
They couldn’t have made me do it if I didn’t think it was right.
你真的明白吗?史密斯
You do know that, Smithy, don’t you?
告诉我你怎么想的 告诉我你不生我的气了
Tell me you understand, that you’re not angry with me.
告诉我吧! 我想听你说话
But tell me. Let me hear you say it.
史密斯 说话好吗?
Speak to me, Smithy.
你一直都能和我说话的
You could always speak to me.
等一下 史密斯!
Wait for me, Smithy.
过来 史密斯! 穿上你的外衣
Come on, Smithy. Get your coat on.
我知道我是对的 我知道!
I know I’m right. I know it.
被他们说动了 真让我羞愧
I’m ashamed of myself, letting them talk me out of it.
来 我来帮你 咱们得赶快!
Here. Let me help you. We’ll have to hurry.
别担心 史密斯 我不会和他们一样的
Don’t you worry, Smithy. We can’t go with the others…
我们得找个安静的地方 慢慢适应新的环境
but we’ll find some quiet place where you can rest and get fit.
戴上帽子 拿上行李 咱们走!
Here’s your hat. Take your parcels. Come on.
我们从后门走
We’ll go by the back door.
我还要和毕夫说句话
I’ve got to see the Biffer.
走那边 不要让任何人看见你 这扇门通往外面的小巷
Go that way. Don’t let anyone see you. There’s a door leading to the alley.
在外面等我 我很快就来
Wait for me outside. I’ll only be a minute.
毕夫 这是我欠你的钱
Biffer, here’s the money for my bill.
怎么了?他已经走了吗?
What? Off already?
他们想送史密斯回疯人院
They want to send Smithy back to the asylum.
不行
No.
我不会送他回去的 我现在带他去乡下
I’m not gonna let him go. I’m taking him into the country.
你不干了?
Giving up your job?
我在那么安定好以后 再和你联♥系♥
I’ll let you know when we get settled.
– 麻烦你把我的行李弄过去 – 你是对的 祝你好运!
– Will you send my trunk on to me? – You bet, and good luck to you.
谢谢 毕夫 你真好 再见
Thanks, Biffer. You’re one in a million. Goodbye.
再见 祝你好运
Goodbye. Good luck.
史密斯 你干了什么?
Smithy, what have you done?
– 他想拦住你吗? – 是的
– He tried to stop you? – Yes.
萨姆?
Sam?
我推了他一把 他就躺在这里了
I pushed him and he fell.
如果他们现在抓住你 你就完了!
If they get you now, you’re done for.
– 是我的错 别理我了 – 不行
– I’m no good. Let me alone. – No. I won’t.
– 我们不能丢他在这里 – 我们必须走
– We can’t leave him. – We must.
我们会再想办法的 快走!
We’ll think later. Come.
我犯了错 我应该回疯人院去
But I’m no good. I’d better go back.
真糟糕!梅桥那个火车站长认识我
That was bad luck, the stationmaster recognizing me at Melbridge.
他们会在康弗德抓住我们的
They may have wired ahead to Canford to stop us.
那么 我们就不去康弗德了
Well, we won’t go on to Canford.
我们在斯威顿岔口下车
We’ll get out at Swinton Junction.
从斯威顿 我们可以去西边的德文郡和康袄尔郡
From Swinton, we can go into the west country to Devon or Cornwall.
然后我们再找一个宁静而美丽的小村庄住下来
We’ll choose some little country place, quiet and lovely.
这里是世界的尽头
It’s the end of the world.
宁静而美丽
Lonely and lovely.
我们在这里会很安全 即使…
We’ll be safe here, even if…
我们先打个电♥话♥
We’ll phone first, and then we’ll see.
好的 德温特夫人 他明天可以到我这边来
All right, Mrs. Deventer, he can come for a couple of hours tomorrow…
然后周五我会再来一趟
and I’ll look in on Friday.
– 谢谢你 医生 – 再见
– Thank you, Doctor. – Goodbye.
再见
Goodbye.
– 早上好 女士 – 早上好
– Morning, ma’am. – Good morning.
很抱歉 刚才我不在
Sorry I wasn’t down.
– 你们想租♥房♥♥吗? – 得看情况
– Were you wanting rooms? – Well, that depends.
– 我能用一下你的电♥话♥吗? – 当然可以 就在里面
– May I use your telephone? – Certainly. It’s in there.
谢谢
Thank you.
史密斯 过来坐这儿 你累坏了吧!
Smithy, come and sit down. You look worn out.
看样子他很不舒服 真可怜!
He does look poorly. The poor dear.
是这个电♥话♥吗?
Is this the phone?
是的 先拿话筒 然后摇手柄
Yes. You just picks it up, turns the handle…
好的 谢谢
Yes. Thank you.
我想打个长途电♥话♥
I want to make a trunk call, please.
梅桥 4294
Melbridge 4294.
什么?
What?
克里威登 2707
Clevedon 2707.
你好
Hello?
你好 保拉
Hello, Paula.
萨姆很好 他很快就恢复了
No, he’s all right. Come to in a jiffy.
他没什么事 就是头上起了个包
Right as rain, barring a bump on his head.
有苹果那么大