It may sound outrageous to you, but it’s not a sudden impulse.
我仔细考虑过
I’ve thought it over very carefully.
汉森小姐 我们同病相怜
You and I are in the same boat, Miss Hanson.
我们都有过不为人知的经历
We’re both ghost-ridden.
这听起来有点像故事 但我确实无法表达这种感受
That sounds a bit romantic, but I think it expresses it.
我们都被笼罩在过去的阴影中
We are prisoners of our past.
是的
Yes.
如果我们能抛开各自的孤独
What if we were to pool our loneliness…
彼此相互支持关心
and give each other what little we have: Support, friendship?
汉森小姐 我正式向你求婚
I’m proposing marriage, Miss Hanson.
或者说结合?
Or should I call it a merger?
你知道我对合并企业还是很在行的
You know, I’m good at mergers.
一个国会议员不应该是单身的 玛格丽特
A Member of Parliament should have a wife, Margaret.
所有的人都说“我需要一个聪明的妻子”
So I’m told on all sides. “He needs a clever hostess.”
你有出色的从政天赋
You have exceptional gifts.
这会让你施展你的才华
Would it interest you to have a wider field for them?
你不用担心我会对你有非份之想
You need have no fear that I would make any emotional demands upon you.
我们之间只有真挚的友谊
I have only sincere friendship to offer.
除此之外 我不会有别的任何要求
I won’t ask any more from you.
你不用现在就回答我
Please. Don’t answer at once. Think it over.
这完全是一个自私的求婚
It’s completely a selfish proposal…
但你知道 没有你的帮忙
but I can’t have you giving me notice, you know.
我不可能会竞选成功
I’d be lost without you.
汉森小姐…玛格丽特
Miss Hanson… Margaret…
– 我的话是否伤害了你? – 我不知道
– have I hurt you? – I don’t know.
我很好
This comes of boasting that I never cry.
你会考虑这件事吗?我明天给你电♥话♥
You will think about it? I’ll call you tomorrow.
不行 我等不及了 就在今晚9点好吗?
No, I can’t wait so long. Tonight, about 9:00?
我希望你能答应我
I hope the answer will be yes.
茶来了
Here’s the tea.
这不是什么好的求婚
It wasn’t a very flattering proposal, really.
或者说一个结合的建议
Rather, a suggestion for a merger.
只有商人才会说这种话
He used that very expression.
– 非常冷血 是吗? – 是非常直接
– Pretty cold-blooded, isn’t it? – Well, it’s honest.
看来我是没机会了
I’m sorry. Sorry for myself.
– 我希望你会幸福 保拉 – 也许会
– I want you to be happy, Paula. – It may work out.
他也许会从此爱上我
He might even fall in love with me.
那样不是很好吗?
Would that be so very extraordinary?
如果当初他不离开你 那会更好
It would be very extraordinary if he didn’t.
但现在的情况正朝好的方面发展
But the situation is very extraordinary.
但有句话我必须对你说…
It seems rather hard, what I’m going to say…
如果你嫁给他 就要按他的方式行事
but if you marry him, keep to his terms.
我想你是对的
I suppose you’re right.
你还爱他吗?
And you love him?
爱
Yes.
那你还会被伤害的 保拉
You’re going to be hurt, Paula.
约翰 支持我好吗?
John, don’t be against it.
你好
Hello?
是我 雷纳先生
Yes, Mr. Rainier.
查尔斯 还没到9点呢
Charles. You’re early.
我同意了 查尔斯
It’s yes, Charles.
那不是雷纳夫人吗?她现在很出风头
Isn’t that Mrs. Rainier, who gives those political dinners?
雷纳女士 她和雷纳先生真般配
Lady Rainier. He was in the birthday honors.
他们都说她应该进内阁
They say he’ll be in the Cabinet.
可惜他们到现在还没孩子
Pity there’s no son to inherit the title.
多好的一对夫妻啊! 我听说雷纳先生对他夫人很好
Such a wonderful couple. I hear he’s devoted to her.
太神奇了! 她居然能请到他跳舞
Well, it’s really amazing. She’s got him to dance.
还能让他微笑 这个女人简直是个奇迹
She’s got him to smile, too. That woman is a marvel.
晚安 谢尔登 今天的晚会你安排的很好
Good night, Sheldon, and thank you. You managed beautifully.
谢谢 夫人
Thank you, milady.
– 谢谢你 谢尔登 – 晚安 查尔斯先生
– Thank you, Sheldon. – Good night, Mr. Charles.
你肯定已经摸透了那个老家伙
You certainly mellowed the old gentleman.
我送他的时候 他还不愿走呢!
He was positively purring when I put him into the car.
是的 我想他今天玩的很开心
Yes, I think he really enjoyed himself.
– 反正我是很开心 – 胡说
– I know I did. – Nonsense.
天啊!快3点了 你明天还有两个约会
Good heavens! It’s nearly 3:00. You have two committees tomorrow.
– 是今天 – 对 快要天亮了
– Today. – Yes, that’s true. It’s nearly morning.
5月25日 知道是什么日子吗?
The morning of May 25. Does that suggest something to you?
是我们结婚3年的纪念日
It’s the anniversary of our wedding. Our third anniversary.
等我一下?你看起来一点都不累
Will you wait just a moment? You don’t look the least bit tired.
这是我送你的纪念日礼物
All my gratitude goes with this, Margaret.
我欠你的太多了
I owe you more than I can put into words.
太美了 真的 你真好
It’s too beautiful, really. You spoil me.
这块绿宝石据说是玛丽.路易丝女王用过的
The emerald is said to have belonged to the Empress Marie Louise.
是吗?真让我吃惊
Really? That’s thrilling.
你能给我带上吗?
Will you put it on for me?
你觉得怎么样?
There. How do you like it?
你知道吗?你真的很美很美
Do you know you’re a very beautiful woman?
谢谢 我希望你是这么想的
Thank you. I rather hoped you thought that.
玛格丽特…
Margaret…
你开心吗?
are you happy?
– 为什么这样问? – 良心谴责
– Why do you ask? – A twinge of conscience.
如果我没闯入过你的生活…
If I hadn’t interfered in your life…
我就永远成不了雷纳女士
I should have never been Lady Rainier…
能讨首相的欢心 带皇后的宝石
entertained the Prime Minister, worn a queen’s emerald.
这还不够吗?
Is it enough?
也许还不够
Perhaps not.
你还要什么呢?
Is there anyone else?
没有了
No.
– 查尔斯 你为什么这样问我? – 因为…
– Charles, why are you asking me? – Because if there were…
我一直想说 我不想强迫你做任何事
I’ve often wanted to say this, I wouldn’t hold you to our bargain.
我没有这个权利
I haven’t the right.
你想离开我吗 查尔斯?
You’re trying to get rid of me, Charles?
你知道的 我离不开你
You know I’d be utterly lost without you.
很高兴你这样说 我喜欢我的工作
I’m glad to hear that, because I like my job.
今晚一个女人告诉我说 她非常的嫉妒我
A woman told me tonight that she envied me more than anyone she knew.
嫉妒我有一个这样的丈夫 查尔斯
She envied me my husband, Charles.
大多数女人都会这样的
Most women do.
现在我真的累了
Now I really am tired.
晚安 查尔斯 谢谢你的礼物
Good night, Charles, and thank you for the wonderful present.
晚安 玛格丽特
Good night, Margaret.
史密斯!
Smithy!
玛格丽特 我是不是说错什么伤害到了你
Margaret, I’m afraid I said something to hurt you.
没有 查尔斯
No, Charles.
如果是因为我的不善表达…
If I expressed myself clumsily…
– 我没事 真的 只是… – 我希望我们之间能互相坦诚
– It’s nothing, really. It’s just that… – I wish you would be frank with me.
真的吗?
Do you?
那是一件礼物吗?
Were those a gift?
是的
Yes.
我碰巧看见的
I came across them quite by chance.
只是一串很便宜的项链
They’re just cheap little beads.
但对你很重要 是吗?
But they have a value for you that this does not?
他说这串项链的颜色像我的眼睛一样
He said they were the color of my eyes.
你说像吗?
They are, aren’t they?
玛格丽特
Oh, Margaret.
是不是有什么过去的事情在你心底 让你一直不能释怀?
Isn’t there something morbid in burying one’s heart with the dead?
– 很奇怪你会这样说 – 是吗?
– That’s a strange thing for you to say. – Is it?
你都没有自己的记忆
You haven’t even a memory.
是的 没有
No.
你一生中最美好的东西…
And the best of you…
你的真爱…
Your capacity for loving…
你最快乐的时光… 都埋藏在了你消失的记忆中
your joy in living is buried in a little space of time you’ve forgotten.
– 这不是一回事 – 为什么不是?
– It isn’t quite the same thing. – Why not?
因为我隐约感觉到 我还有…
Because in some vague way, I still have…
– 希望? – 是的 希望
– Hope? – Yes, I suppose that’s it.
有吗?查尔斯
Have you, Charles?
你是不是感觉到有什么人?
Do you feel that there really is someone?
有一天你会找到她?
That someday you may find her?
我不想说这个 玛格丽特
I’d rather not talk of it, Margaret.
因为我说不上来
It’s nothing I could put into words.
但有时候这些东西不是困扰着你吗?