without saying a word to a solitary soul.
一切安排妥当了 他有可能去国外吗?
Everything was arranged. Could he have gone abroad?
他也应该告诉我们啊!
He would have let us know. Confound that girl!
不会有什么意外吧?
What the deuce could have happened?
一分钟前他们还在那里挑选婚礼歌♥曲…
One minute they were picking hymns for the wedding…
– 切特先生? – 什么事?
– Mr. Chetwynd? – What now?
对不起 先生 有重要的事
I’m sorry, sir. It seems to be important.
林森自♥由♥联盟的斯坦登先生找你
Stourton of the Lytham Liberal League.
好吧 我去一下 你和谢尔登谈吧
All right, I’ll see him. You talk to Sheldon.
谢尔登 你最后一次见雷纳先生是什么时候?
Sheldon, when did you say you last saw Mr. Rainier?
基蒂离开一小时后 快吃饭的时候
It was close to dinnertime, miss. About an hour after Miss Kitty left.
查尔斯先生叫我帮他收拾行李
Mr. Charles asked me to put some things into a bag for him.
我不知道为什么…
I don’t know quite why, miss…
但我猜他去了利物浦
but I sort of think that he may have gone to Liverpool.
– 利物浦? – 是的
– To Liverpool? – Yes, miss.
1920年那天晚上 他从利物浦回来
It was from Liverpool he came that night…
应该说从他死亡中回来那天晚上…
that he came back from the dead, as you might say.
请你告诉我那天晚上发生的一切事情
Please try to tell me everything you can remember about that night in 1920.
他告诉过你到底发生了什么吗?
What did he tell you about what had happened to him?
好吧 小姐 那是1920年11月 那天晚上下着雨
Well, miss, it was a wet night. In November, it was.
他在利物浦被一辆计程车撞倒了
He’d been knocked down by a taxi
被送去了当地的一家化学药品店…
and carried into a chemist’s shop in Liverpool.
请进
Come in.
汉森小姐
Miss Hanson.
请原谅我来这里 大家都很担心你
Please forgive me for coming. We were all so anxious.
你看起来状态很不好
You’re not well.
我本应该告诉你们我在哪里的 对不起
I should have let you know where I was. I intended to. I’m sorry.
我也不想打扰你 但是有很重要的事
I hate to bother you, but something very important came up.
你怎么知道我在利物浦的?
How did you know I was in Liverpool?
– 谢尔登说的 – 是谢尔登
– Something Sheldon said. I made inquiries. – Sheldon, yes.
汉森小姐 我们坐下吧
Won’t you sit down, Miss Hanson?
你说有很重要的事找我?
You say some important business induced you to follow me?
爱德华.莱克 西林森地区的议员…
Sir Edward Lake, Member of Parliament from West Lytham…
在星期一早上死了 议会决定补选一名议员
died on Monday morning. There will be a by-election.
今天早晨 西林森自♥由♥联盟委员会
This morning, a committee of the West Lytham Liberal Association…
一致决定推选你为议员候选人…
unanimously decided to support your candidacy…
你愿意参加竞选吗?
should you consent to stand in the Liberal interest.
谢尔登告诉了你12年前关于我的事吗?
Did Sheldon tell you of my experience here about 12 years ago?
是的 雷纳先生
Yes, Mr. Rainier.
以前我曾经回到这里
I came back here at that time…
想寻找过去的线索
hoping to stumble on the trail of my past…
但是我一无所获
but I failed then…
这次也是这样
and I’ve failed now.
– 一无所获? – 一无所获
– Nothing helped you? – Nothing.
为什么我一直感觉到一种强烈的失落感?
Why should I feel a sense of loss so acute that…
这一直困扰着你吗?
That it’s spoiling your life?
不 我以前一直都在逃避
No, I’m not being honest with myself.
我的人生是不完整的 我感觉我曾经伤害过什么人
My life’s not complete, and I’ve hurt others.
我不知道我为什么跟你说这些
I don’t know why I bore you with my affairs.
你感觉你在利物浦住过吗?
You feel that perhaps you lived in Liverpool?
– 有可能 – 但不肯定
– It seems possible. – But not certain.
你是说我也许仅仅是来过这里?
You mean I might have been visiting the city?
利物浦是个大港口
Well, Liverpool’s a big port.
我也许是坐船来的? 不会的 我没这种感觉
I might have come in on some ship. Strange. That hadn’t occurred to me.
或者是坐火车来的?
Or by train.
也许你是从附近的一个城镇来的…
You might have come in from a nearby town…
或者是乡村?
or from the country.
– 也许是出差 – 也许吧
– Perhaps on business. – Perhaps.
如果是这样 那你应该住在一个宾馆里
In that case, maybe you stayed at some hotel.
我熟悉利物浦 我常来这儿
I know Liverpool. I’ve been up here often.
你知道出车祸的时候 你是去哪里吗?
You know the direction you were walking in when the accident happened?
知道 我查过
Yes, I checked that.
当时我正沿着梅森街朝南边的广场走 当时正在下雨
I was walking down Mason Street toward the square. It was wet.
梅森街北边有两家宾馆
Well, there are two hotels north of Mason Street.
奥林匹克宾馆和北方大宾馆
There’s the old Olympic and the Great Northern.
车祸地点离奥林匹克宾馆太远
It’s quite a distance from the Olympic.
如果当天下了雨的话 你应该是从北方大宾馆出去的
So, if it was wet, the chances are, you were coming from the Great Northern.
假设我住过那家宾馆 我会以什么名字登记呢?
Presuming I stayed at a hotel at all, under what name was I registered?
有一个办法可以试试
There’s just one chance to find out.
如果你真住那家宾馆 你的行李就一定还留在那里
If you were at a hotel, you walked out leaving unclaimed luggage.
宾馆会保留那些行李吗?
Would they keep it so long?
– 所以我们要查一下 – 对
– It’s worth investigating. – Yes.
汉森小姐 很高兴你来这里 你帮了我的大忙
I’m glad you came, Miss Hanson. You’ve given me fresh hope.
你和我一起去 我们从北方大宾馆开始查
You must come with me. We’ll start with the Great Northern.
请你转告宾馆经理
Please be kind enough to tell the manager
这个箱子不是我的
this suitcase is of no interest to me…
很抱歉麻烦了他们
and I’m sorry to have troubled him.
约翰.史密斯
John Smith.
没有创意的隐姓埋名者
Highly unimaginative incognito.
这些破烂有什么好藏的
What could be more anonymous than these poor rags?
– 没找到任何熟悉的东西吗? – 没有
– Nothing seemed familiar to you? – No.
这些东西毫无价值
There’s a finality about that most unrewarding find:
我们又没有线索了
Like a door slammed and bolted.
现在我必须要面对现实
Now I shall learn to accept myself for what I am:
我注定是一个心理上残缺的人 基蒂和你都看出来了
A psychological defective. As Kitty saw me. As you must see me.
汉森小姐 你必须给我保密
You must keep my secret, Miss Hanson.
你能给西林森自♥由♥联盟发一个电报…
Will you send a telegram to the West Lytham Liberal Association…
说我同意参加竞选 好吗?
telling them I’ll receive the Committee tomorrow?
是 雷纳先生
Yes, Mr. Rainier.
– 8:15有列火车去伦敦 – 我会订票的
– There’s an express to London at 8:15. – I’ll make reservations.
恭喜你 雷纳先生 漂亮的胜利!
Congratulations, Mr. Rainier. Famous victory.
首相非常高兴你当选为林森的新议员
The Prime Minister’s delighted. Our new member from Lytham.
– 恭喜你 – 谢谢
– Yes. Congratulations. – Thank you.
– 很高兴能和你同事 先生 – 谢谢你
– It’s good to have you with us, sir. – Thank you.
– 我们为你光荣 雷纳先生 – 谢谢你
– The party is honored, Mr. Rainier. – Thank you, sir.
– 恭喜 – 非常感谢
– Mr. Rainier, congratulations. – Thank you very much.
汉森小姐
Miss Hanson.
恭喜你 雷纳先生 伟大的胜利
My compliments, Mr. Rainier. A great triumph.
谢谢
Thank you.
让你久等了 有点事耽搁
Have I kept you waiting? I was delayed.
非常感谢你能过来
Nice of you to come down for my debut.
– 我做的还行吧? – 非常好!
– Was I satisfactory? – Very.
上茶 谢谢
Waiter, some tea, please.
你要点什么? 蛋糕?三明治?
What would you like? Cake? Sandwiches?
– 给我菜单 – 谢谢你
– Bring an assortment. – Thank you.
我还没谢你在竞选中给我的巨大帮助呢!
By the way, I haven’t really thanked you for your help in the campaign.
没有你 我当不了这个议员
I don’t know what I should have done without you.
这是我的荣幸 我对政♥治♥很感兴趣
I thoroughly enjoyed it. Politics interest me.
是吗?这太好了
Do they? I’m glad of that.
为什么盯着我看?
You’re staring at me, you know.
对不起 你的头发在阳光下闪闪发亮 这吸引了我
I’m sorry. It struck me your hair is bright red in the sunshine.
是吗?但是你看得这么专注
Was that all? You were looking so intensely.
有时候任何人都会产生一种 似曾相识的感觉
Everyone has these feelings of having lived through certain moments before.
你是说 你感觉到你以前认识我吗?
You mean, you have the feeling that you’ve known me before?
刚才就是
I had, for a moment.
实际上 你第一次来我办公室的时候
As a matter of fact, I felt it quite strongly
我的这种感觉非常强烈
the first day you came into my office.
– 你掩饰了这种感觉 – 是的
– You didn’t show it. – No?
– 这是你雇我的原因吗? – 也许是
– Is that why you engaged me? – Perhaps.
主要还是因为你办事利落的风格
It was also your air of quiet efficiency.
对不起…
Forgive me…
我想知道你还会再结婚吗?
but is there any possibility that you might marry again?
可能性很小
Not the slightest.
我问这个问题 是因为我想向你求婚
I’m asking you because I have a proposal to make.
因为我的从政生涯需要你
I need your help in my parliamentary life.
– 作你的公♥关♥秘书? – 也不全是
– Social secretary? – Not exactly.
你知道…
You know…
我也不知道我怎么会有这个想法
it seemed quite a reasonable idea when it came to me.
但是现在 我却不敢再想了
But now, I’m rather losing my nerve.
为什么?怕我太吃惊?
Why? Is it so startling?
我怕这样会冒犯你 但我这样说绝不是一时冲动

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!