干杯
Cheers.
去修道院了吗
Been up to the Abbey?
是啊 现在那里不一样了
Yes. Yes, things are obviously very different now.
修女换了一拨
Nuns are different,
不是当时收留从良荡♥妇♥的那群人了
not the same ones they had when the Magdalen girls were there.
当然 她们都不在了
Sure. They’re all gone now!
有几个人留在我们这
We’ve had a few staying here,
希望找到自己儿女的踪迹
looking to find what happened to their sons or daughters.
她们在修道院经历的只有痛苦
There’s not many of them gets any joy from there.
那场烧毁一切的大火
And the big fire that destroyed everything,
你知道是怎么回事吗
do you know how that started?
我觉得是她们点的火
I should think they put a match to it.

Who?
修女们
The Sisters.
后院的空地上确实起了场大火
Sure they had a great fire on the field out the back.
那修道院并没起火吗
So the Abbey wasn’t on fire?
她们生了一堆很大的火
They had a bloody big bonfire,
烧了所有记录 成千上万的文件
burnt all the records. Thousands of them.
为什么
Why?
这是很多年前的事了
This was years ago.
对于把孩子卖♥♥到美国的事
I suppose they were embarrassed about
我猜她们有些尴尬
selling all them babies to America.
她们不想人们说三道四
And they don’t want people telling tales.
那是我母亲
That’s me mother.
你说她们把孩子卖♥♥给美国人
You say they sold babies to Americans?
很多美♥国♥佬♥来爱尔兰找小孩子
A lot of the Yanks came over to Ireland to look for babies.
只有他们买♥♥得起
They were the only ones who could afford them.
一千英镑
A thousand pounds.
简·罗素在1952年从德里买♥♥了个婴儿 那个影星
Jane Russell bought a baby from Derry in 1952 – the film star.
真是不可思议 贩卖♥♥婴儿
I can’t believe they sold babies.
她来这想找法国小孩
She came in here looking for Bourbon
她们却只能给她一个爱尔兰的
but they had to give her a glass of Paddy instead.
你要是天主教♥徒♥ 有一千镑
If you were a Catholic with a thousand pounds,
就可以买♥♥个婴儿
you could buy a baby.
简·罗素买♥♥了个孩子带回家
Jane Russell bought one to take home with her.
但我不会再说一遍了
But I’m not one to repeat gossip.
我明白
No, no, I can see that.
-干杯 -好的 干杯
– Sláinte. – Yes, cheers.
萨莉 你说我要是有什么想法
Sally, you told me to call you
就给你打电♥话♥
if I came up with something,
这真是天上掉馅饼了
and this just sort of fell into my lap.
接着说
Go on.
非常有意思
It’s quite interesting.
我想到一些主题
I think there are themes about
关于追寻家谱的
people searching for their family trees
还有爱尔兰大流散
and the whole Irish Diaspora.
不要用”大流散”这种词 马丁
Don’t use words like Diaspora, Martin.
我拼不出这词 没人知道它的意思
I can’t spell it and people don’t know what it means.
爱尔兰大饥荒之后的大批迁徙
The exodus that followed the Irish famine.
不不不 我对它的意思没兴趣
No, no, no. I’m genuinely not interested in what it means.
好吧
Ok.
谁是好人 谁是坏人
Who are the goodies, who are the baddies?
是一个爱尔兰老太太
Well, it’s about a little old Irish lady,
退休护士
a retired nurse,
寻找失散多年的儿子
who is searching for her long lost son
孩子一出生 就被坏修女们
who was taken, snatched from her at birth,
残忍♥地夺走
by evil nuns.
结局呢
So how does it end?
肯定不是皆大欢喜就是悲惨至极
And it’s got to be really happy or really sad.
无论他是IBM的老板
Either he’s the chairman of IBM,
还是无业游民 都无关紧要
or a hobo, doesn’t matter.
五十年的沉默被两个简单的词语打破
The years melted away as a fifty year silence
流逝的岁月仿佛随之消散
was broken by two simple words:
你好 妈妈
“Hello, mum”.
我现在就可以写出来
I could write it now.
我还不知道你这么愤世嫉俗
I didn’t know you were so cynical.
我猜安东尼被人收养 去了美国
My guess is that Anthony was adopted and sent to America.
修道院基本只和美国客户有来往
The Abbey dealt almost exclusively with American customers.
真不敢相信 她们竟然贩卖♥♥婴儿
I can’t believe they sold babies.
她们是想给他一个更好的生活
They were trying to give him a better life.
-他们是想从他身上赚钱 -有一个问题
– They tried to make money out of him! – There’s a problem.
我今早联♥系♥了
I got through to
科克[爱尔兰南部郡]的圣心收养协会
the Sacred Heart Adoption Society in Cork this morning.
他们让我去问爱尔兰收养局
They just referred me to the Irish Adoption Board,
收养局的人又把球踢回了收养协会
who referred me back to the Sacred Heart Adoption Society.
让你兜圈子
Sending you round in circles.
他们不会帮忙的
They aren’t gonna help us.
但我昨晚和在华盛顿的旧相识谈了谈
But I spoke to some contacts from my Washington days last night,
在美国倒可以想想办法
and there are avenues we can pursue in America.
眼前的问题是
The stumbling block is, of course,
我替你寻子的能力是有限的 菲洛梅娜
I can only get so far speaking on your behalf, Philomena.
但你作为他的母亲
But as his mother,
他们有法律义务向你提供他的信息
they would be legally bound to provide you with the information.
你的意思是让我母亲和你一起去趟美国吗
Are you suggesting you take my mother to America with you?
如果你愿意的话
If you want.
我的主编已同意提供往返开销
My editor’s agreed to foot the bill.
你觉得和马丁去美国怎么样
How would you feel about that, going to America with Martin?
不知道
I don’t know.
如果你想 我可以陪你一起去
I could come with you if you like?
不 不用 你还有工作要忙
No, no, no, you have your work.
我只是担心 马丁得成天陪着
I’m only worried that Martin will have to go all that way
我这个疯老婆子
with a daft old woman like me.
-我可没觉得你疯 -得了吧
– I don’t think you’re daft. – Go away, would you?
也不老
Or old.
我愿意去
I think I would like to go.
我想知道安东尼有没有想起过我
I want to know if Anthony ever thought of me,
我对他可是日日想念
cos I’ve thought of him every day.
去华盛顿呢 夫人
Oh, Washinton, lovely.
-你们自己打包的行李吗 -是的
– Did you pack your baggage yourself? – Yes.
我女儿帮我收拾的
My daughter helped me.
这简直就是皇家待遇 马丁
I’m getting the royal treatment, Martin.
我感觉自己就像罗马教皇
I feel like the Pope.
对你的髋关节有好处
Well, it’ll save your hip.
那书好看吗
Is that an interesting book?
我刚看完这本
I’ve just finished mine.
我这本就算了 有点无聊
Uh… Yeah, no, mine’s rather dull.
讲十月革命的
It’s about the October Revolution.
政♥治♥交易[马匹交易]
Political horse-trading…
我这本也是讲马的呢
Oh, mine’s about horses.
这书讲了一个叫罗伯特的人
It was about this fella Robert,
他和某个女公爵订了婚
and he’s engaged to this duchess.
而他只是一个医生的儿子
And he’s only the son of a doctor,
可以说是混得相当好了
so he’s done very well for himself.
这个女公爵呢 她可糟透了
But this woman, this duchess, oh she’s terrible.
她特别虚荣
She’s as vain as you like,
成天就知道照镜子
and she’s always looking at herself in the mirror
自我陶醉什么的
and all that sort of thing.
反正呢 她就觉得他特没出息
Anyway, she thinks he’s dull as ditch-water,
他就对马产生了浓厚的兴趣
so he takes up an interest in the horses,
因为这可以让他融入上流社会
because that way he can get in with the upper classes.
然后他就在马厩里认识了一个姑娘
And of course he meets this girl down the stables.
那姑娘的父亲连医生都不是
And she’s not even a doctor’s daughter.
就是个独脚的农场工人而已
Her father’s just a farmhand and he only has one foot.
-上帝 -不过他们还是相爱了
– Oh, dear. – But anyway of course they fall in love,
他现在就特别纠结
and he’s now torn between
是娶了女公爵 跻身公爵之位
becoming a duke if he marries the duchess,
然后成为庄园领主什么的
he’ll become lord of the manor and all that sort of thing,
还是选择心爱的马厩姑娘
and the stable girl who he loves,
但那个姑娘可是身无分文
but she hasn’t a penny to her name.
一直到了婚礼那天
Well the big day’s coming, the wedding,

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!