Daddy said it’s bad when people get divorced.
爸爸说人们离婚是件坏事。
I know. Sometimes married people just find out
我知道。有时候已婚的人会发现
they can’t live with each other.
他们不能住在一起。
The Meyers are divorced.
迈耶一家离婚了。
Mmm.
嗯。
Shelly, can I have a cookie?
雪莉,能给我一块饼干吗?
Mmm!
嗯!
Hey, where are all the cookies?
嘿,饼干在哪里?
Well, I guess you found my secret hiding place.
好吧,我想你找到我的秘密藏身处了。
What are you saving for?
你存钱干什么?
SHELLY: Nothing in particular.
雪莉:没什么特别的。
Just putting it away for a rainy day.
只是为了以防万一。
(CLOCK CUCKOOING)
(时钟咕咕叫)
I’m supposed to be home at noon for lunch.
我中午应该回家吃午饭。
Thanks, Shelly.
谢了,雪莉。
Bye.
再见。
Well, Miss Vada, what do you say we head back?
好吧,瓦达小姐,我们回去怎么样?
Can I use your bathroom first?
我能先用一下你的浴室吗?
Sure.
当然。
You don’t have to wait.
你不必等待。
Daddy will be mad if you’re late.
如果你迟到,爸爸会生气的。
Okay.
可以。
(DOOR CLOSES)
(门关上)
“The great way is not difficult for those with no preferences.
“伟大的道路对那些没有偏好的人来说并不难。
“With the absence of both love and hate,
没有爱和恨
“everything becomes clear and undisguised.”
一切都变得清晰和毫不掩饰。
That was written by a Chinese philosopher in the year 600.
这是一位中国哲学家在公元600年写的。
Now, why would I choose to bring that up in a creative writing class?
现在,我为什么要选择在创意写作课上提出来呢?
Because the absence of judgment
因为缺乏判断力
helps us to appreciate reality.
帮助我们欣赏现实。
In other words,
换句话说,
I want you to listen to your classmates’ writing
我要你听听你同学的作文
with a clear and open heart.
心胸开阔。
Okay?
可以?
So, who’s going to go first?
那么,谁先去?
I got one.
我有一个。
Yeah.
是 啊。
“I sang a song for you to hear
“我唱了一首歌♥给你听
“I painted a picture for you to see
我画了一幅画给你看”
“I picked a rose for you to smell
“我摘了一朵玫瑰给你闻
“I planted grass for you to touch
我种了草让你触摸”
“But you did not hear my song
“但是你没有听到我的歌♥
“You did not see my picture
“你没看到我的照片”
“You did not smell my rose
“你没有闻到我的玫瑰味
“And you did not touch my grass.”
你没有碰我的草
Maybe she was out of town.
也许她出城了。
That’s not funny.
一点都不好笑。
His poem is about futility.
他的诗是关于徒劳的。
We toil in unrewarded obscurity.
我们默默无闻地辛勤劳动。
Now, I hear judgment.
现在,我听到了审判。
Let’s not forget the part about the open heart.
别忘了敞开心扉的那部分。
Vada, is there something I can do for you?
瓦达,有什么我能帮你的吗?
I paid the money.
我付了钱。
For this class?
为了这个班?
Uh-huh.
啊哈。
I want to be a writer.
我想成为一名作家。
But Vada, this is a…
但是瓦达,这是。。。
This is an adult writing class.
这是成人写作课。
Hey, I think it’s real beautiful.
嘿,我觉得很漂亮。
She wants to be a writer.
她想成为一名作家。
RONDA: More power to you, little sister.
给你更多的力量,小妹妹。
Vada, you sure you want to do this?
瓦达,你确定要这么做?
Okay. Welcome to the class. Go find a seat.
可以。欢迎来上课。去找个座位。
(STUDENTS APPLAUDING)
(学生鼓掌)
Okay. Who’s next?
可以。下一个是谁?
I experienced something with my boyfriend the other day
前几天我和男朋友经历了一些事情
and I wrote a few words down.
我写了几个字。
BIXLER: Floor’s yours, Ronda.
比克斯勒:地板是你的,隆达。
“He covers me like a blanket
“他像毯子一样盖住我
“From the cold, dark night
从寒冷黑暗的夜晚”
“As I look into his eyes, I know it’s right
“当我看着他的眼睛,我知道这是对的
“To touch, to feel
去触摸,去感受”
“I know he’s real
“我知道他是真的
“Flesh, all a mesh
肉,都是网”
“Flesh, all a mesh
“肉,都是网
“I can’t fight it
我不能反抗”
“There’s no point
“没有意义
“I wake up and light a joint”
我醒来点燃了一根大♥麻♥
(STAMMERING) Vada.
(结结巴巴地)瓦达。
I wrote a poem, too.
我也写了一首诗。
BIXLER: Please.
比克斯勒:拜托。
Ode to Ice Cream by Vada Sultenfuss.
Vada Sultenfuss的冰淇淋颂歌♥。
“I like ice cream a whole lot
“我非常喜欢冰淇淋
“It tastes good when days are hot
天热的时候味道很好”
“On a cone or in a dish This would be my only wish
“在蛋卷上或盘子里,这是我唯一的愿望
“Vanilla, chocolate or rocky road Even with pie a la mode.”
香草,巧克力或岩石路甚至派洛杉矶模式
That’s all I got so far.
到目前为止我只知道这些。
I hear that, Vada.
我听到了,瓦达。
“Flesh all a mesh” or “rocky road,” it’s about desire.
所有的肉体都是网状的或“石头路”,这是关于欲望的。
Vada, that’s… It’s very sweet
瓦达,那是。。。它很甜
and it rhymes and that’s also good,
它押韵而且很好,
but you’re not expressing to me what’s in your soul.
但你没有向我表达你的灵魂。
I want you to show me how you see the world,
我要你告诉我你是怎么看待这个世界的,
your fears, your desires,
你的恐惧,你的欲望,
your innermost secrets.
你内心的秘密。
VADA: My fears and secrets:
瓦达:我的恐惧和秘密:
I’m afraid I killed my mother.
恐怕我杀了我母亲。
(TUBA PLAYING I’M JUST WILD ABOUT HARRY)
(大号♥演奏我对哈利很着迷)
* Cannot do without *
不能没有
* Harry’s wild about me *
“哈利对我很疯狂”
Excuse me, Harry. I’m sorry.
对不起,哈里。我很抱歉。
I just want to let you know the flowers were delivered
我只想告诉你鲜花已经送过来了
and the room’s all set up.
房♥间都布置好了。
Thanks.
谢谢。
Listen, I want to apologize for the other day downstairs about Vada.
听着,我想为前几天楼下关于瓦达的事道歉。
I was a little harsh.
我有点苛刻。
I shouldn’t stick my nose in other people’s business.
我不应该管别人的事。
It’s just that I like Vada very much.
只是我很喜欢瓦达。
After my wife died, Gramoo moved in here to help us take care of Vada.
我妻子死后,格拉莫搬到这里来帮我们照顾瓦达。
They were very close.
他们非常接近。
But lately, as her mind’s been wandering more and more,
但最近,随着她的思绪越来越乱,
Vada’s been acting kind of crazy.
瓦达表现得有点疯狂。
I’m sure she’ll snap out of it, though.
不过,我相信她会振作起来的。
I’m sure she will.
我相信她会的。
THOMAS J: Nothing’s biting today.
托马斯J:今天什么都不痛。
VADA: Maybe they had a big breakfast.
瓦达:也许他们吃了一顿丰盛的早餐。
I’m going to be an acrobat when I grow up.
我长大后要当杂技演员。
Big deal. I can do that, too. Thomas J., you got something.
了不起的事。我也能做到。托马斯J,你有发现。
Oh, no!
哦,不!
Hurry.
快点。
I’m trying.
我在努力。
Reel it in.
把它卷起来。
It’s only a sunny. Throw it back.
只是个晴天。把它扔回去。
I don’t like touching fish.
我不喜欢碰鱼。
I’m gonna pull the hook out without having to touch it.
我要把钩子拔♥出♥来♥,不用碰它。
You’re hurting him. Don’t kill him.
你在伤害他。别杀他。
Ouch.
哎哟。
Darn hook.
该死的钩子。
I’m bleeding. Did he get away?
我在流血。他逃走了吗?
Go look.
去看看。