我想让你进入’帆船’
I want you to enter ‘Sailing Boats’.
当丹比先生看到它时 他会写一篇值得你才华的评论
And when that Mr Denby sees it he’ll write a review worthy of your talents.
曼彻斯特的每个人都会读它
And everybody in Manchester will read it,
你会让你母亲感到骄傲的
and you’ll make your mother so proud.
不是吗?
Won’t you?
嗯?你说什么?
Hmm? What do you say?
-我不知道 妈妈嗯… -你不知道是什么意思?
-I don’t know, mother. Um… -What do you mean you don’t know?
…我为你画的
The… Well, I painted it for you.
当然了
Well, of course, you did.
但我希望每个人都能欣赏它
But I want everyone to admire it.
你会为我这么做…
You’ll do this for me…
不是吗?
won’t you?
会让我很开心的
It’ll make me so happy.
-开心吗? -是的
-Happy? -Yes.
好吧 妈妈 我为你画
Well, I’ll enter the painting for you, mother.
当然我会的
Course I will.
-哦! -当然
-Ooh! -Of course.
哦 多棒啊!哦 哦 哦哦
Oh, how wonderful! Ooh, ooh.
儿童游戏 童年的朋友
Childhood games. Childhood friends.
一些我从来不知道的事
Something I’ve never known.
那是谁?谁在这里?
Who’s that? Who’s here?
玩
Playing.
那里没人!好 好 好 好
There’s nobody there! Well, well, well, well.
真奇怪
That’s very strange.
真奇怪
That’s very strange.
哦 好吧
Oh, well.
我想我得打喷嚏了
I, I think I’ve, I think I’ve gotta sneeze.
哦!哦!
Oh! Oh!
哦 我的钱到哪里去了?哦 我希望没人捡到
Oh, where’s my money gone? Oh, I hope nobody’s picked it up.
总是妈妈和我
It was always mother and me.
包裹起来 锁起来
Wrapped up, locked away.
藏在她的蕾丝窗帘后面
Hidden behind her lace curtains.
滴答声 滴答声
Tick-tock, tick-tock.
对于其他孩子 你必须时刻保持警惕
You must always be vigilant where other children are concerned.
虱子和尼特
Lice and nits.
我不明白
I don’t understand.
艺术评论家 丹比先生
The art critic, Mr Denby,
在夏天的展会上没有提到你的画
has made no mention of your painting, in the Summer Show.
不是吗?
Hasn’t he?
不 多琳·斯坦霍普告诉她所有有教养的朋友…
No. Doreen Stanhope told all her cultured friends…
我们不需要艺术评论家告诉我们我们喜欢什么 是吗 妈妈?
We don’t need an art critic to tell us what we like, do we, mother?
是的 当然 我们有 人们需要被建议 这是强制性的
Yes, of course, we do. People need to be advised, it’s mandatory.
绘画就在那里 它存在 它将永远存在
Painting’s there, it exists. It will always exist.
人们可以看到它是什么 或不是
People can see it for what it is. Or not.
我好心地给报纸的编辑写信抱怨
I’ve a good mind to write to the editor of the newspaper and complain.
这个人自称是专家 什么专家?
The man claims to be an expert, an expert on what?
他显然对艺术一无所知
He obviously knows nothing about art.
相当
Quite.
谢天谢地 你不同意伦敦展览 多难堪
Thank goodness you didn’t agree to the London exhibition, how embarrassing.
喝你的茶 妈妈 …去冷
Drink your tea, mother, it’s… going cold.
我付了两先令的特权进入你的画
I paid two shillings for the privilege of entering your painting
进入夏季秀
into the Summer Show.
为什么人们看不到我们能看到的东西?
Why can’t people see what we can see?
“一个完全令人愉快的图片
“A perfectly delightful picture.”
今天下午你干什么?
What are you doing this afternoon?
哦 像往常一样
Oh, the usual.
可能会在你的窗户上开始
Might make a start on your windows.
你工作太辛苦了 亲爱的
You’re working too hard, dear.
很高兴出去一点
Nice to get out a bit.
一直陪着我不健康
It isn’t healthy staying in with me all the time.
你以前从没说过 妈妈为什么?
You’ve never said that before, mother. Why’s that?
今天下午 多琳·斯坦霍普打电♥话♥来看我
This afternoon, Doreen Stanhope is calling to see me.
我们要分享格林哈尔格的香草片
We’re going to share a vanilla slice from Greenhalgh’s.
那么 为什么长脸?
So, why the long face?
没长脸了 妈妈
Haven’t got a long face, mother.
那可就争论了
Well that’s debatable.
你为什么不做几份三明治 走进法恩沃斯?
Why don’t you make a few sandwiches and walk into Farnworth?
那太好了
That would be nice.
我不想去法恩沃斯散步
I don’t want to go for a walk into Farnworth.
你不能止步于此
Well you can’t stop here.
劳丽!
Laurie!
我打算和多琳一起享受一段隐私
I’m intending to have a tête à tête with Doreen, I’m entitled to a bit of privacy.
嗯 对不起 你发现我很尴尬 妈妈
Well, sorry you find me an embarrassment, mother.
不 我只想让你多出去
No, I just want you to get out more.
就这样 我坚持
That’s all. I insist.
很好 如果你想我离开…
Very well. If you want me out of the way…
我要开到博尔顿去
I shall get off into Bolton.
不 我只是想让你出去一点
No, I just want you to be able to get out a little.
不管怎样 博尔顿最大的吸引力是什么?
Anyway, what’s the big attraction of Bolton?
烟囱是的 它是兰开夏郡最高的
A chimney. Yes, it’s the tallest in Lancashire.
你当然知道如何过自己的生活
You certainly know how to live a life.
我可能会在路上画一些草图
I might make some sketches on the way.
-不要迟到 -我不会迟到的 妈妈
-Don’t be late. -I won’t be late, mother.
你喜欢你的香草片
You enjoy your vanilla slice.
哦 我打算.
Oh, I intend to.
好
Good.
嫉妒
Jealousy.
多年来 我来这里
For years, I’ve come up here.
多年来 我走过这个沼地
For years, I’ve walked across this moor.
独自 我不需要任何人
Alone. I don’t need anyone.
你可以从这里看到一切
You can see everything from up here.
像一只鸟 我观察它
Like a bird, I observe it.
一切的陛下
Majesty of everything.
景观 城镇 烟雾弥漫 蒸汽和火
The landscape, the towns, smoke-belching, steam and fire.
工业的力量
The power of industry,
就像炉子一样…
like a furnace…
…燃烧
…burning.
“亲爱的劳里先生
‘Dear Mr Lowry,
你的工作很简单
There’s a simplicity to your work.
没有什么是通过像样或表示人为创造的
Nothing is artificially created through likeness or representation.
一切都通过纯粹的情感表达来传达
All is conveyed by sheer expression of feelings.’
一切都很神秘…一首诗
There’s a mystery in everything… a poetry.
人们认为他们可以做他们想做的事 他们不能 你知道的
People think they can do what they want. They can’t, you know.
没有人是自♥由♥的
Nobody is free.
我们都被抓了在图片中
We’re all captured. In a picture.
每个人都对其他人都是陌生人
And everybody is a stranger to everyone else.
你好 妈妈!是我!
Hello, mother! It’s me!
母亲?
Mother?
你下午过得好吗?
Did you have a good afternoon?
你谈过有趣的事情吗?
Did you talk about, um, interesting things?
嗯…
Did um…
斯坦霍普夫人呆了多久?
How long did Mrs Stanhope stay?
这是一次短暂的访问
It was a fleeting visit.
我看你没吃过香草片了
Well I see you haven’t eaten your vanilla slices.
斯坦霍普夫人没有心情 我也没有
Mrs Stanhope wasn’t in the mood and neither was I.
我该接受它…把它拿走 放进猪皮里?
Shall I take it… take it away, put it in the larder?
你可以把它放下你的烟囱 我关心
You can drop it down one of your chimneys for all I care.
怎么了 妈妈?怎么了?
What is it, mother? What’s the matter?
你知道怎么了
You know what’s the matter.
我有吗?
Do I?
是的 你做到了!
Yes you do!
-嗯 不 我没有 -哦 你不知道吗?
-Um, no I don’t. -Oh, you don’t?
然后阅读这个 所有将揭示
Then read this and all will be revealed.
这是一张20英镑的支票 妈妈!
It’s a cheque, mother, for 20 pounds!
20磅!
20 pounds!
好吧 把房♥子砸了你绕着你转!
All right, smash up the house. You’re round the twist you!
你就像妈一样
You’re like your mother.
你怎么敢谈论我妈妈?
How dare you talk about my mother?
我还没说完!
I haven’t finished with that!
完成了!好了 我完了!
Finished with that! Well, I’m finished with you!