somewhere by your beloved River Thames, but not too far from London Town,
有漂亮结实的木地板
with good, solid, wooden floors,
明亮美丽的光线 适合工作
nice bright light for you to work by…
然后我会买♥♥下来
then I will buy the lease.
我可以把这房♥子卖♥♥了
I can sell this house.
我们会很幸福的
I think we would be happy,
就我们俩
the two of us.
她来了
There she is.
-勇猛的”无畏号♥” -恐怕马上就要退休了
-The saucy Temeraire. -Going to her death, I fear.
她完成了自己的使命
She’s served her time.
拍卖♥♥会已经确认了她的最终命运
The auctioneer’s hammer has struck that final blow.
是啊
Indeed.
如果不是她 胜利号♥可能根本无法胜利返航
If not for her, the Victory might never again have seen our shores.
是啊 还有纳尔逊将军的遗体
Aye, nor the body of Lord Nelson.
特拉法加海战的救星
The little saviour of Trafalgar.
据说造这艘船用了五千棵橡树
They say 5,000 oaks went into making that ship.
现在马上要变成五千张桌椅了
Now she’s destined to be reduced to 5,000 tables and chairs.
由五千个胖子坐上面
To be sat on by 5,000 fat arses.
先生们 我想敬一杯酒
Gentlemen, a toast.
举起酒杯 让我们敬英勇伟大的”无畏号♥”
Raise your pot of grog. To the fine, fighting Temeraire!
-敬”无畏号♥” -敬”无畏号♥”
-The Temeraire! -The Temeraire!
这杯酒敬她
Here’s to her.
-来自过去的幽灵 -不 拉比
-A ghost of the past. -No, Rabbie.
过去的已经过去了 我们看到的是未来
The past is the past. We’re observing the future.
烟雾 钢铁 蒸汽
Smoke, iron, steam.
她会是很好的作画素材啊 透纳
She’d make a fine subject for you to paint, Turner.
是吗 斯坦尼 我会好好考虑的
Oh, is that so, Stanny? I shall cogitate upon it.
多谢了
Thank you. Yeah, yeah.
是那个海顿先生来了
It’s that Mr Haydon.
带进来一团冷空气
He’s brought a cold blast of air in with him.
海顿先生 你今天早上怎么想到来找我
Mr Haydon, to what do I owe the honour of your presence this morning?
我想你今天不会不方便吧 透纳
I trust that this is not an inconvenience to you, Turner.
现在 您能接受这些英镑吗
Now, will you accept ten pounds?
-10镑 -我想偿还债务
-Ten pounds, sir? -I wish to be free of the debt.
-我感到极大的压力 -可你欠我50镑
-It weighs heavily upon me. -Sir, you owe me 50 pounds.
曼彻斯特 利兹 纽卡斯尔 我做了很多讲座
Manchester, Leeds, Newcastle. I have been giving my lecture.
爱丁堡 很美的城市
Edinburgh, fair city.
只有在伦敦 我的才华不受待见
Only in London is my genius not appreciated.
我想 这能说明我愿意还债
Consider this as a statement of intent.
-海顿先生 请坐吧 -还是不用了
-Mr Haydon, pray be seated. -I had rather not.
不想占用你太多时间
I do not wish to prevail upon your time more than is necessary.
是我要求的 请坐吧
And I prevail upon you, sir, to take a seat.
-你想让我坐哪 -你想坐哪都行
-Where would you have me sit? -Wherever you wish.
-这里可以吗 -行
-Will this suffice? -Indeed.
海顿先生 你现在是否仍贫困潦倒
Mr Haydon, do you still find yourself in a position of impecuniousness?
贫困潦倒 透纳 我已身处如此状况30年了
Impecunity? Turner, that has been my constant state these 30 years.
你家还真是豪华富足啊
You are most well-appointed here.
我都不记得自己家上一次有这么多煤是什么时候了
I do not recall the last time we had as much coal in our scuttle as that.
我甚至担心这个冬天我们需要烧家具取暖
I fear we shall be burning our furniture this winter.
海顿夫人还好吗
Does Mrs Haydon find herself faring well?
不 她仍旧没有恢复
She does not. She has not recovered.
我担心她是不会好了
I fear that she may never do so.
是因为什么
What ails her, sir?
我们已经有五个孩子先后去世
We have buried five children.
-是吗 -在帕丁顿老教堂墓地
-Indeed? -In Paddington old churchyard
他们把泥土翻开 把以前的棺木抬出来
they remove the soil, extract the coffins,
再把坑挖深一点
dig the hole deeper,
然后把一具棺木叠在另一具上面
then reinter the coffins with another atop.
她连续经受了五次这种侮辱
Five times she has had to suffer that indignity.
-可怜啊 -的确可怜 透纳
-‘Tis pitiable. -It is pitiable, Turner.
你从未经历过失去孩子的痛苦
You have never had to endure the loss of a child.
的确没有
I have not, sir.
一个临死的孩子
A dying child,
作为绘画素材 挺有力量的 对吧
’tis a potent subject for a painting, is it not?
你现在在忙什么呢 透纳
And what is your present endeavour, Turner?
-呃 一副海洋主题的 -海洋主题的
-Er…marine piece. -A marine piece?
你还没画够那些船和火烧云吗
Do not you tire of boats and the fiery firmament?
没有
I do not, sir.
有时候我会想 要不自己干脆
Sometimes I consider it might make a better course for me
放把火把房♥子烧了
were I to set light to the house
跟我的老婆孩子一起
with my wife, my surviving children and myself within it.
这样他们就不用再承受我这个负担了
Then they would no longer be saddled with me.
痛苦是自己的 不要把它加于自己所爱之人身上
Your pain is your own, sir. Do not inflict it upon your loved ones.
你能接受我这10镑吗
Will you take my ten pounds?
不 你的欠款一笔勾销了
I will not, sir. You are free of your debt.
-一笔勾销 怎么会 -我免除了
-Free? How so? -‘Tis expunged.
不行 我来这里不是寻求你的怜悯和施舍
Er…no, sir. I do not come here a seeker after charity or pity.
没有怜悯 施舍 也没有债务了
You have neither charity nor pity nor debt.
我没有期待是这种结果
I do not wish it in such a circumstance.
海顿先生 我还有很多事要忙
Mr Haydon, I am much preoccupied.
姑娘 麻烦你送这位先生出门
Me damsel, be so kind as to escort the gentleman into the street.
再见
Good day to you, sir.
你这样我无法接受 透纳
This does not sit well with me, Turner.
让他眼睛瞎掉吧
Damn his eyes.
-是透纳和琼斯 -透纳先生 琼斯统帅
-Turner and Jones. -Mr Turner, Captain Jones.
-很高兴见到你 -拉斯金先生
-It’s a pleasure to see you. -Mr Ruskin!
晚上好
Good evening to you.
这次旅途还不错吗
I trust you had a pleasant journey?
是的 您最近还好吗
Indeed. You find yourself well, sir?
很好 谢谢 你的画在家里最醒目的地方 透纳先生
I do indeed, thank you. Pride of place, Mr Turner.
很好
Splendid.
仿佛这房♥子是围绕着画盖起来的
As though the house was built around it.
-请进吧 -琼斯
-Please, come through. -Jonesy.
我丈夫认为
Er, my good husband is of the opinion
醋栗的生长更喜欢寒冷的天气
that the gooseberry prefers the colder climate,
但我觉得 温暖的天气对所有的水果都更好
whereas I consider that all fruits benefit from the warmth.
我已过世的母亲总是坚持说 醋栗和大黄
My dear late mother always insisted that both the gooseberry and the rhubarb
都适宜在我们本岛的寒冷气候下生长
favour the colder climes of our victorious isles.
说醋栗可能更适合温暖的气候 我不怀疑
I do not doubt that the gooseberry for its preference may enjoy the warm,
但是 我觉得
however I am convinced
由寒冷中开始生长 会令果实更大
that a cold start promotes the more vigorous specimen.
我们必须要提的是
Are we not to take as empirical evidence
在曾经去地中海地区的远行中
our many expeditions to the warmer climes of the Mediterranean
我们在那里并没有发现大量的醋栗
where we do not exactly encounter an abundance of gooseberries?
-哈 的确 -正是
-Ha! Indeed. -Exactly so.
我在耶路撒冷也没有发现有很多醋栗
I did not myself savour many gooseberries in Jerusalem.
那里是圣城 透纳先生
The holy city, Mr Turner.
但是在苏格兰 就有很好的醋栗
And yet we do enjoy fine gooseberries in Scotland,
是吧 拉斯金先生
do we not, Mr Ruskin?
是啊 它们的生长之初
Aye, and no better a cold start
没有比苏格兰寒冷的阳光更好的了
than a good Scottish sun.
没错
Exactly that.
当然
Surely,
不管醋栗在生长初期天气有多么寒冷
regardless of how cold the start of the life of the gooseberry might be,
在成熟时都是很温暖的
it is almost certainly destined for a warm ending.
这个 大家都熟知拉斯金夫人做的美味醋栗派
To which we have all borne witness in Mrs Ruskin’s excellent gooseberry pie.
谢谢您 琼斯统帅
I thank you, Captain Jones.
我建议大家可以聊一聊
May I propose as a topic for discussion
在绘画艺术中
the question as to the depiction of the seas and the oceans
对海洋的描写
in pictorial art?
我很荣幸
Now, I appreciate that I am honoured
在场有两位最杰出的海洋绘画家
to be in the presence of two of our most distinguished marine painters,
透纳先生和斯坦菲尔德先生
Mr Turner and Mr Stanfield,
当然也不能忘了琼斯统帅和罗伯茨先生
not to forget Captain Jones and Mr Roberts, of course,
他们的画作都是在陆地上取材的
whose realisations are confined to mere naked terra firma,
同样非常优秀
exemplary though they are.
我想说的是
My point being that, alas,
我有个想法 或许会有点争议
I find myself harbouring a perhaps rather controversial opinion
是关于已经去世的克劳德[·洛兰]
regarding the long deceased Claude.
-是吗 -是啊 琼斯统帅
-Indeed? -I am afraid so, Captain Jones.
我必须承认