I must confess
他笔下的大海乏味 平淡 又沉闷
that I find his rendering of the sea rather insipid, dull and uninspiring.
这个说法挺大胆啊 拉斯金先生
That is an extremely bold statement, young Mr Ruskin.
非常感谢
Thank you very much.
克劳德有过属于自己的时代
Claude was a man of his time.
这正是我要说的 透纳先生
My point exactly, Mr Turner,
但那个时代早已过去了
but that time is now long past.
当我欣赏一幅当代杰作时 比如你的画
When I experience a modern masterpiece such as yours,
你捕捉的那个瞬间 十分清晰 给我触动
I am struck by the clarity with which you have captured the moment.
比如说 你的《奴隶船》
Take, for example, your slave ship,
就那幅”奴隶落水身亡 台风即将来临”
“Slavers Throwing Overboard the Dead and Dying -Typhoon Coming On”,
我很有幸 能每天早晨
by which I have the good fortune to be greeted every morning
在去吃早餐的路上 可以欣赏到
on my way into my meagre breakfast.
那些泛起泡沫的浅红色海水
The impact of the foaming brine incarnadine
将那些可怜的黑人奴隶淹没
consuming those unfortunate Negro slaves
一直都让我心跳加速
never ceases to quicken the beat of my heart.
但是 当我欣赏一幅克劳德的画作时
Yet when I gaze upon a work of Claude
感觉自己看到的只是
I find myself enduring nothing more
他精准的笔触
than a mere collection of precise brushstrokes
怎样都无法震撼到我
which instil in me no sense of awe whatsoever,
更别提海洋了
let alone the sea.
简直荒谬
Preposterous!
不好意思 拉斯金夫人
I do beg your pardon, Mrs Ruskin.
-克劳德·洛伦是一个天才 -没错
-Claude Lorrain was a genius. -Quite so.
我感觉透纳先生是过分谦虚了
I sense an excess of modesty in Mr Turner and there
不必如此
is no need for such humility.
拉斯金先生
Mr Ruskin, sir,
猜测海洋画作的意图是这样
to conjecture upon the matter of seascape painting is one thing
但真正身处其中
but to stand amongst the elements
感受和阐释一个人看到的景象
and to experience and to interpret what one sees
是完全不同的另一回事
is something quite other.
-你听听 -的确
-Hear, hear. -Quite.
确实有可能是这样
That is as it may be.
克劳德是站在陆地上作画的 看着海港中平静的海面
Claude painted from the land, looking at the sea becalmed by the harbour.
-噢 的确 -“上帝保佑 我的灵魂”
-Oh, indeed. -“Bless the Lord, oh my soul
出自《诗篇》104:3
“把栋梁置于水中的楼阁”
“Who layeth the beams of his chambers in the waters
“借着风的翅膀而行”
“and walketh upon the wings of the wind.”
十分贴切 母亲
How apt, Mother.
谢谢你 约翰
Thank you, John.
当我儿子还小的时候
When my son was but a small boy,
不知偷听了谁说
he was overheard to remark that…
“海浪十分适宜观赏”
“waves of sea are indeed lovely to watch
“但它们总是来了又去”
“but they are always coming or gone,
“从不会保持在同一个形态”
“never in any taken shape to be seen…”
-哪怕一秒 -“哪怕一秒”
-For a second. -“…a second.”
对海洋的感受 我在四岁的时候
I find myself marvelling at my own wealth of perception,
已经十分好奇了
even at the early age of four.
是啊
Quite so.
拉斯金先生 我有个问题想问你
Mr Ruskin, can I pose you a somewhat conundrous question?
请问吧 透纳先生
Please do, Mr Turner.
这两者你更喜欢哪个
To which do you find yourself the more partial,
牛排腰子派 还是 牛肉火腿派
a…steak and kidney pie or a veal and ham pie?
我必须承认 透纳先生
I must confess, Mr Turner,
对于你这个问题
that I find myself quite unable to answer your question
我无法准确回答
with the precision that I would wish.
夫人
Your Majesty.
乏味之极
Terribly flat.
-无趣 -色调很暗啊
-Dull. -It’s rather dark, isn’t it?
-马丁爵士 -嗯
-Sir Martin. -Sir?
-这幅画是谁的 -我想应该是
-Who is the artist? -I believe, sir, it’s…
约翰·费纳利
Mr John Ferneley, sir.
噢 费纳利先生啊
Oh, Mr Ferneley.
透纳
Turner.
他眼睛显然是快失明了
He is clearly losing his eyesight.
这幅简直糟糕透顶
And this one is vile.
难以置信
Unbelievable.
-这画的什么 -我不知道
-What it that? -I don’t know.
一团脏兮兮 乱七八糟的黄色
A dirty, yellow mess.
这幅画真是可怕
It is a truly frightful piece.
精神病的写照
It is indicative of mental disease.
凄惨又毫无效果
It is wretched and abortive.
悲哀啊
Sad.
透纳似乎完全没有绘画的章法了
Mr Turner seems to have taken leave of form altogether.
有一次 他画画的时候
He has on former occasion chosen to paint
用奶油 巧克力 鸡蛋 和果酱蛋黄
with cream or chocolate, yolk of egg or currant jelly.
这幅画他是把厨房♥所有的东西都用上了
But here he uses his whole array of kitchen stuff.
-鸡蛋和菠菜 -不 是肥皂水和刷墙粉
-Eggs and spinach. -No, soap suds and whitewash.
果酱馅饼 新鲜的果酱馅饼
Jam tarts! Jam tarts! Fresh jam tarts!
那个讨厌的蛋糕店小子去哪了
Where is that wretched baker’s boy?
他可是死定了
His fate, I fear, he won’t enjoy.
快去弄死他
He will indeed the lad destroy!
我有灵感了
I have an inspiration.
-是什么 -这简直充满魔力
-What’s that? -We’re filled with fascination.
-他在干嘛呢 -为什么要这样呢
-What is he doing? -And why is he doing it?
不管他在折腾什么 我们马上就能看到了
Whatever he’s brewing, we’ll soon be viewing it.
现在我们展示的是透纳先生刚送来的大作
A masterpiece I here present which Mr Turner has just sent.
虽然画作意图是好的 但我们仍有怀疑
While mostly blessed with good intent, we have our doubts.
这位先生是谁
But who’s this gent?
你们这些普通的人类
Ye common throng and hoi polloi,
我是个有钱有文化的人
I am a rich and cultured boy.
我靠欺骗恶棍们挣了钱
My wealth derives from tricking knaves
卖♥♥点咖啡 茶 还有奴隶
and selling coffee, tea and slaves.
我家应有尽有
My house is full of things of beauty,
有画 雕塑 还有其他赃物
paintings, sculpture and other booty.
我喜欢喝酒 又贪心
I like to drink and gourmandise…
但我眼前这幅是个啥
But what is this that greets my eyes?
这是艺术界最新潮的
It is the latest thing in art.
看上去像一堆过期果酱馅饼
It looks like bits of old jam tart.
这是透纳先生的新作 放在你家壁炉上
‘Tis Mr Turner’s latest piece, which placed above your mantelpiece…
噢 别王婆卖♥♥瓜了
Oh, cease your costermonger sounds!
我买♥♥了
I’ll buy it.
-这里是一千镑 -噢 我十分乐意接受
-Here’s 1,000 pounds. -Oh, I thank you in my humble way.
-别糊弄 今天就送来 -马上 绝不拖延
-Don’t grovel, send it round today. -I’ll do so, sir, without delay.
欢呼吧 雀跃吧
Rejoice! Hurrah! Hip, hip, hooray!
虽然毫无艺术品位
Though ignorant of art and taste,
我自己开心得不得了
I’m filled with boundless glee,
因为透纳觉得好的 我也觉得好
for what’s good enough for Turner…is good enough for me!
拉斯金先生 我觉得 误导人们
Mr Ruskin, I fail to see wherein lies the charity
认知到自己真正有多少才华 是不妥的
in misleading people as to the amount of talents they possess.
一个人的才华是沉睡着的
Talent is something that lies dormant
需要在适宜的情形中展现出来
and needs to be drawn out in the right circumstances.
如果他有机会展现出来的话
If one has the opportunity to have it drawn out.
我的妻子 艾菲
My wife, Effie,
我仍在等待她的才华得以显露
I am still waiting for her talents to arise and be drawn out.
我觉得才华在显露的时候 同时也会被摧毁
I think talents can be crushed as much as they may be drawn out.
的确
Precisely.
或许作为丈夫 有这个义务
Perhaps it is the duty of the husband…
普鲁塔克说过”绘画是无声的诗篇”
Plutarch said, “Painting is silent poetry.”
您对诗歌♥感兴趣吗
Are you interested in poetry, sir?
真美
Sublime.
寂寞
Loneliness…
和孤独
solitude…
是不一样的
’tis not the same.
的确不同 透纳先生
Indeed not, Mr Turner.
它会到来的
It will come.
拉斯金女士 它会到来的
Mrs Ruskin…it will come.
爱情
Love.
几点了
What is the hour?
-6点35 -噢
-Five-and-twenty to seven. -Oh.
天哪
Oh, God!

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!