[BOYS YELLINGAND TRUMPET PLAYING FANFARE]
全市的小孩都受伤
[BOYS SCREAMING]
Children hurt all over the city.
叫杰夫停止!
Tell Jeff to stop!
是,好的
Yes. Yes, all right.
再见
Yes. Goodbye.
史密斯议员现在说了二十三个小时又十六分钟
“Senator Smith has now talkedfor 23 hours and 16 minutes.
议院宣告无效里这次是最不寻常最特殊的事
The most unusual and spectacularthing in the Senate annuls.
一个孤独简单的美国人
One lone and simple Americanholding the greatest floor in the land.
站在最伟大的发言台
他缺乏的经验在他发言时被弥补回来了
What he lacked in experience,he’s made up in fight.
但累坏了的童军的腿快垮了
But those tired Boy Ranger legsare buckling.
看不清的眼睛,声音消逝了
Bleary-eyed, voice gone.
他撑不了多久所有华盛顿的官员
He can’t go on much longer.And all official Washington
在这里亲眼看到落幕
is here to be in on the kill.”
不跟真♥相♥妥协
JEFF [IN HOARSE VOICE]:There’s no compromise with truth.
这些我在发言台上要说的
That’s all I got up on this floor to say.
什么时候?
When was it?
似乎是一年前
A year ago, it seems like.
糟糕的事要发生我要阻止他
Terrible things are happening.I’ve got to stop him.
他们现在在听他说什么事都可能发生
They’re listening to him.Anything might happen now.
起来我只要求这样
Just get up off the ground.That’s all I ask.
跟那位国会园顶顶端女士一起
Get up there with that ladythat’s on top of this Capitol dome.
那个代表自♥由♥的女士
That lady that stands for liberty.
如果你们要看的话透过她的眼睛看这个国家
Look at this country through her eyesif you want to see something.
但你们不只会看见风景
But you won’t just see scenery.
你会看见整个游♥行♥人们在几百年奋斗之后
You’ll see the whole parade of whatman’s carved out for himself
为自己开创的
after centuries of fighting.
为比丛林法案更好的事奋斗
Fighting for something betterthan just jungle law.
奋斗所以他能用双脚站立,自♥由♥而且正派
Fighting so he can stand onhis own two feet, free and decent,
像他被创造时一样
like he was created.
不管他是什么种族颜色,宗教
No matter what his race,color or creed.
这才是你看到的
That’s what you’d see.
这里没有地方容得下收贿
There’s no place out there for graft
贪心或是谎言
or greed or lies
或是与人类自♥由♥妥协
or compromise with human liberties.
如果这是成人在这世界做的事
If that’s what the grownupshave done with this world,
我们最好赶紧开始建立儿童营
we better get thoseboys’ camps started fast
看看小朋友能做什么
and see what the kids can do.
现在还不算太晚
It’s not too late.
因为这个国家比泰勒的要大多了
Because this countryis bigger than the Taylors
或是比你,我任何其他的都大!
or you or me or anything else!
一旦伟大的法则见到曙光就不会迷失
Great principles don’t get lost oncethey come to light.
他们就在这里!
They’re right here!
你只要再看看他们
You just have to see them again.
主席先生
Mr. President.Will the senator yield for a question?
议员可不可以弃权?
史密斯议员愿意弃权给他的同僚?
PRESIDENT:Will Senator Smith yieldto his colleague?
好,我弃权
Yes, I yield for a question.
议员已经说对他州里的人♥民♥说话
The senator has said he is speakingto the people of his state.
像他说的一样,他一直在等就像他想叫他们
He has been waiting,as he so fancifully puts it
一大批的人群过来
for them to comemarching here in droves.
各位有没有兴趣听那些人要说什么?
Would the gentlemen be interestedin what those people have to say?
在这里
Here it comes.
是的,先生,我想
JEFF:Yes, sir, you bet I would.
主席先生
Mr. President.Have I permission to bring in
能允许我带进来
我州里回应的证据?
evidence of the responseof my state?
有人反对吗?
Is there objection?
你可以继续了,议员
You may proceed, senator.Pageboys!
见习生!
Come on, boys, on your feet.
[COUGHING]
我不能忍♥受,我不能忍♥受看见他这样受伤害
I can’t stand it. I can’t standto see him hurt like this.
开始审理公共意见
MAN:Public opinion made to order.
泰勒做的
Taylor-made.
这里这是这位先生的答案
PAINE:There it is.There’s the gentleman’s answer.
电报,五万份
Telegrams. 50,000 of them
要求他下台
demanding that he yield this floor.
我要请议院宣读
I invite the Senate to read them.
我邀请我同僚宣读
I invite my colleague to read them.
人♥民♥给杰佛森·史密斯答案了
The people’s answerto Mr. Jefferson Smith.
[LETTERS RUSTLING]
停止,杰夫!停止!
Stop, Jeff! Stop!
我想这又是一个失败的案子潘恩先生
I guess this is just anotherlost cause, Mr. Paine.
你们所有的人不懂什么是失败的案子
All you people don’t knowabout lost causes.
潘恩先生知道
Mr. Paine does.
他曾说过只有失败的案子值得奋斗
He said once they werethe only causes worth fighting for.
他曾经奋斗过
He fought for them once.
为了一个理由任何人都奋斗过
For the only reason that any manever fights for them.
[COUGHS]
因为一个简单而明白的规则:
Because of just one plain, simple rule:
爱你的邻居
Love thy neighbor.
在今天这个世界
In this world today full of hatred,
充满着恨
a man who knows that one rulehas a great trust.
知道那个规则的人要有相当的信任
你知道那个规则潘恩先生
You know that rule, Mr. Paine.
我为了这敬爱你就跟我爸一样
And I loved you for it,just as my father did.
你知道你为了失败的案子比谁都用心
And you know you fight for lost causesharder than for any others.
是的,你甚至会为他们死
Yes, you even die for them.
像一个我们两都认识的人潘恩先生
Like a man we both knew, Mr. Paine.
你以为我被打败
You think I’m licked.
你们都认为我被打败!
You all think I’m licked!
我没被打败!
Well, I’m not licked!
我要站在这里继续为失败而努力奋斗!
I’m going to stay right hereand fight for this lost cause!
即使这房♥间充满了像这样的谎言
Even if this room getsfilled with lies like these
泰勒和他所有的军队会进入这里
and the Taylors and all their armiescome marching into this place.
有人会听我的
Somebody will listen to me.
[SAUNDERS SCREAMTHEN CROWD MURMURING]
Oh, Jeff!
他没事,他只是昏过去
He’s okay. He just fainted.
Okay.
[GUNSHOTTHEN PEOPLE SCREAMING]
[GUNSHOTS]
– 让我走!- 怎么回事,乔?
Let me go!What’s the matter, Joe?
我不适合当议员!我不适合活下去!
I’m not fit to be a senator!I’m not fit to live!
开除我!
Expel me! Expel me, not him!
开除我,不是他!
Willy Taylor’s a fraud! It’s a crimeagainst the people who sent me here.
威利·泰勒是个骗子!
开罪了让我来这的人
而我犯了罪!这孩子说的是句句实言!
I committed it!Every word that boy said is the truth!
每句关于泰勒以及我还有贿赂
Every word about Taylorand me and graft
还有我州里腐♥败♥的政♥治♥!
and the rotten politicalcorruption in my state!
句句实言!我不适合这个职位!
Every word of it is true!I’m not fit for office!
我不适合在任何有荣誉有信任的地方!
I’m not fit forany place of honor or trust!
开除我,不是那个孩子!
Expel me, not that boy!
[CROWD CHEERING]
我们成功了!我们成功了!
We did it! We did it!
秩序,各位!拜托!
Order gentlemen! Please!
他成功了!
[YELLING]
放开我!
He did it!Let go of me!
太好了!
Yahoo!
[CHEERING CONTINUES]

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!