PRESIDENT: Will Senator Smith yield?Yield how?
– 史密斯议员弃权吗?- 怎么弃权?
– 他会为了一个问题弃权吗?- 好
Will he yield for a question?All right.
我希望问我年轻的同事
I wish to ask my junior colleague,this piece he intends to speak,
他打算要说的事
does it concern Section 40of that bill, the dam on Willet Creek?
是不是跟四十节法案,威利小溪的水坝有关?
这件事的每一个层面每一件事
Every aspect of this matter,everything
都跟听证会有关
was dealt with in committee.Mr. President?
– 主席先生?- 我问我优越的同事
I ask my distinguished colleague,has he one scrap of evidenceto add now
他现在有没有证据要补充
是他在听证会上没法或是不能说明的?
to the defense he did not giveat that same hearing?
对于伪造的文书我没有什么好辩护的!
I have no defense against forged papers!PAINE: The committee ruled otherwise!
议会有不同的决定!
这位先生还是有罪
The gentleman stands guiltyas charged.
我代表每个成员说
I believe I speak for every member
没人在乎听到一个受到人格谴责的人
when I say that no one cares to hearwhat a man of his condemned character
在这里说任何一个立法的方案
has to say about any sectionof any legislation before this House!
– 秩序,秩序,各位!- 主席先生
Order, order, gentleman!JEFF: Mr. President,
因为四十节是不正当的利益而我是被陷害而有罪
I stand guilty as framedbecause Section 40 is graft.
我正准备要这么说我本来要告诉你
And I was ready to say so.I was ready to tell you
我州里的某个人詹姆士·泰勒先生
that a certain man in my state,Mr. James Taylor,
要为了他私人的利益使水坝案通过
wanted to put through this damfor his own profit.
一个操控政♥治♥的黑手
A man who controlsa political machine
操控我州里所有的人
and controls everything elsein my state.
甚至有权力操控议员的人
A man even powerful enoughto control congressmen.
我在那天去找他的时候我看见有三个在他房♥间
I saw three of them in his roomthe day I went to see him.
– 议员会弃权?- 我不会弃权!
PAINE: Will the senator yield?I will not yield!
这位同样的人詹姆士·泰勒,到这里来
This same man,James Taylor, came down here
保证我在这议院里下二十年的席位
and offered me a seatin this Senate for the next 20 years
如果我投这诈欺的水坝一票
if I voted for a dam that he knewand I knew was a fraud,
但是如果我敢开口反对水坝
but if I dared to openmy mouth against that dam,
他发誓他会把我剖成两半
he promised to break me in two.
我上来这里开始说话
I got up hereand I started to open my mouth
而泰勒先生长而有力的手臂
and the long and powerful armof Mr. Taylor
伸进这神圣的议院抓住我的脖子
reached into this sacred chamber andgrabbed me by the scruff of the neck…
主席,程序上的一点
PAINE: Mr. President, a point of order.JEFF: Mr. President?
主席先生?
PRESIDENT:Senator Paine will state it.
潘恩议员有话要说
It was I who rose in thischamber to accuse him.
是我在议会里控告他
他说我是用假证据控告他犯罪
He’s saying that I was carrying outcriminal orders on falsified evidence.
他归咎我不配作议员我要求
He has imputed to me conductunworthy a senator, and I demand
他弃权发言
that he yield the floor.
我没说潘恩议员是在那房♥间的议员!
I did not say that Senator Paine wasone of the congressmen in that room!
我在那里面!
I was in that room!
[ALL MURMURINGTHEN GAVEL BANGING]
秩序,各位
PRESIDENT:Order, gentlemen. Order, gentlemen.
我指控这个人
PAINE:I accuse this man.
因为他的言语,他小心的否认
By his tone,by his careful denials,
他想造成我品行的坏印象
he is trying to plantdamaging impressions on my conduct.
我告诉你为什么我们会在那间房♥间
I’ll tell you whywe were in that room.
因为,泰勒先生我们州上一位受景仰的市民
Because Mr. Taylor,a respected citizen of our state,
带了揭发他的证据
had brought with himthe evidence against this man
我们建议他辞职
and we were urging him to resign.
为什么?避免替有名誉的州带来污点
Why? To avoid bringing disgraceupon a clean and honorable state.
但他拒绝了!
But he refused!Mr. President…
主席先生
PAINE:There is only one answerto a man like him.
对于像他这种人只有一个答案
我会给各位看到真♥相♥的
The truth, which I roseand gave to this body.
主席先生
Mr. President,
他想要勒索这个议院像他要勒索我一样
he is trying to blackmail thisSenate as he tried to blackmail me.
他为了预防他的除名,他会甚至
To prevent his expulsion, he’ll even tryto hold up this Deficiency Bill,
试着阻止应该马上通过而且对国家非常重要的
vital to the country,which must be passed immediately!
预算不足的议案!
我有发言权吗?
Have I the floor?
我对这位厚脸皮的人已经失去耐性
I have lost all patiencewith this brazen character.
我很抱歉我指派了他
I apologize to this bodyfor his appointment.
我后悔我曾经认识他我厌倦了
I regret I ever knew him. I’m sickof this contemptible young man.
这个卑鄙的年轻人
And I refuse to stay hereand listen to him any longer.
我拒绝留在这里再听他说话
我希望这里的每个人都跟我感觉一样
I hope every memberof this body feels as I do.
放弃发言权!放弃!
SENATORS:Get off the floor! Yield the floor!
[ALL CHATTERINGAND GAVEL BANGING]
各位!
Gentlemen! Gentlemen,please address the chair!
各位,请致词!
主席先生,这位先生要什么?
Mr. President, what doesthe gentleman want of this body?
我会告诉你,先生!
I’ll tell you, sir!
我要个机会跟相信我的人说话
I want a chance to talk to peoplewho’ll believe me.
我州里的人认识我也认识泰勒先生
The people of my state, they know meand they know Mr. Taylor.
当他们听见我的故事他们会行动
When they hear my story,they’ll rise up
永远毁灭泰勒机器
and kick Taylor’s machineto kingdom come.
我要回到那里一个星期把证据带回来
I want one week to go back thereand bring you proof.
同时我要议院答应
In the meantime,I want this Senate’s promise
不会开除我而且不会通过议案
that I won’t be expelledand this bill will not be passed.
– 议员放弃发言?- 问个问题
Will the senator yield?JEFF: For a question.
这位不耻而有罪且不名誉的先生的站在这里
Has the gentleman the effronteryto stand, convicted and in disgraceand try to force postponement
试着要延期预算不足的议案?
of the Deficiency Bill?For one week.
– 一星期- 主席先生!
Mr. President!I appeal to the senator.
我向议员们上诉
他了解这个议案已经在两院里
Is he fully aware that this billhas been months in both Houses,
一再被拖延了好几个月?
delayed and delayed?
好几百万人没有食物没有地方住
Millions will bewithout food and shelter.
公共工作会停止!
Public works will be at a standstill!Will we keep relief from the country?
我们能替国家继续减轻负担?
The people of my state need relieffrom crooked men riding their backs!
我州里的人♥民♥需要永久的免除
让骗子骑在他们背上!
主席先生,如果议院对于
Mr. President, if the Senate yieldsto this sort to blackmail,
这种勒索让步我们会变成笑柄
it’ll become a laughingstock.
对我们来说,要听他说话是个侮辱
It is an insult to this bodyto have to listen.
对我们的同僚潘恩议员是种侮辱
An insult to our colleague,Senator Paine.
我会跟从议员的典范
I, for one, will followthe senator’s example
拒绝继续再待在议院只要这个人有发言权!
and refuse to remain in this chamberas long as that man holds the floor!
[ALL MURMURINGTHEN GAVEL BANGING]
秩序,各位!
Order, gentlemen!
我想我要在这对我州的人♥民♥说
I guess I’ll have to speak tothe people of my state from right here!
我告诉你们
I’ll tell you,
野马也不能把我从这里拖下去
wild horses won’t drag meoff this floor until those
即使要花整个冬天那些人也要听到我要说的!
people have heard everythingI’ve got to say, if it takes all winter!
[ALL MURMURINGTHEN GAVEL BANGING]
妨碍国事进行!
Filibuster!
主席先生好像只剩下我们了
Well, Mr. President,we seem to be alone.
[CROWD CHUCKLING]
我不因为社会原因而抱怨只是
I’m not complainingfor social reason, it’s just…
我觉得如果各位错过是很可惜
I think it’d be a pity if thesegentlemen missed any of this. And…
And uh…
[RATTLING]
我要求主席注意
I call the chair’s attention to…
议院常规的
to Rule Fiveof the Standing Rules of the Senate.
第五条
Section… Section Three.
第三节
如果不达法定人数
“If it shall be found thata quorum is not present,
多数的议员都不参与
a majority ofthe senators present…”
看起来像我
And that looks like me.
[CROWD LAUGHINGTHEN GAVEL BANGS]
如果必要会指挥军队
“…may direct the sergeant atarms to request, and if necessary
强迫未到的议员
compel the attendanceof the absent senators.”
主席先生,我因此指挥
Well, Mr. President, I so direct.
[CROWD MURMURINGTHEN GAVEL BANGING]
未达法定人数建议
The absence of a quorumbeing suggested.
– 要求达到法定人数- 要求达到法定人数
Bring the call to quorum.Call to quorum.
不需要赶,主席先生我有很多时间
There’s no hurry, Mr. President.I got plenty of time.
[BOYS SHOUTING IN DISTANCE]
要求达到法定人数!要求达到法定人数!
BOYS:Quorum call! Call to quorum!
[BELL BUZZING]
要求所有的议员立即到席!
BOY:All senators wanted on the floor!
[ALL MURMURINGTHEN GAVEL BANGING]
司仪唱名
PRESIDENT:Clerk will call the roll.
– 安格纽先生- 到
CLERK: Mr. Agnew.AGNEW: Here.
艾尔柏特先生
CLERK:Mr. Albert.
艾尔佛莱德先生
Mr. Alfred.
– 艾许曼先生- 到
Mr. Ashman.ASHMAN: Here.
乔,写下来!史密斯还占着发言权
Joe, get this! Smith gotthe floor and is holding it.
就在他们要把他踢出去时!
Just as they were about to kick him out!He did it, Diz. It’s wonderful!
他办到了,迪斯太棒了!
It was terrific!

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!