主席,这节威利溪水坝的议案
Mr. President, this section of the bill,this dam on Willet Creek
什么都不是只是
is nothing but…Mr. President.
史密斯议员想要让他的同僚发言?
Does Senator Smithwish to yield to his colleague?
是的,先生
Why, yes, sir.
你可以继续,议员
PRESIDENT:You may proceed, senator.
主席
Mr. President,
我提出一个困难的任务
I have risen to a difficult task
从我得来的证据
to say from evidencethat has come to my attention,
我想史密斯议员不值得谈这个议案
I consider Senator Smithunworthy to address this body.
[CROWD MURMURING]
你们出去让议员回来
You boys go out and get the senators.BOYS: Yes, sir.
里面有事情发生,快来
Something going on inside, come on.
议会休息直到恢复秩序
The senator will suspenduntil order is restored.
请所有的议员都进去
BOYS:All senators arewanted on the floor, please.
[CHATTERING]
– 怎么回事?- 我不知道
What’s going on?I don’t know.
[BANGING GAVEL]
你可以继续
You may proceed.
回到议案
I refer to the bill
他已经提出国立儿童营的议案
he has introduced forthe creation of a national boys’ camp.
他提出土地的一部份为此贡献出来
He named a portion of landto be dedicated to that purpose
由全美小朋友共同买♥♥下
and to be bought by contributionsfrom boys all over America.
议员们
Senators,
我有证据证明我的同僚拥有在他的议案里提及的土地
I have evidence to prove my colleagueowns the land described in his bill.
[CROWD MURMURINGTHEN GAVEL BANGING]
他被指派当议员后的第二天买♥♥的
He bought it the day afterhis appointment to the Senate
目的是
and is holding it
利用他的当政的特权为了他自己的利益!
using his privileged officefor his own personal profit!
[CROWD MURMURINGTHEN GAVEL BANGING]
童子军有难了
Boy Ranger had a wreck.
这事有古怪
This doesn’t make sense.
同时
Accordingly,
我提出的解决方案
I offer a resolution,
由特权选举议会审理
an inquiry by the Committeeof Privileges and Elections
对于我同事继续掌政
as to the fitness of my colleagueto continue to sit in this chamber.
是否适当
Mr. President, I…
[CROWD BOOING]
秩序!
Order!
主席,清除中廊除非秩序恢复
Chairman, clear the galleriesunless order is restored.
特别报导!童军议员被同僚帖上污点
Flash! Ranger senatorbranded by colleague.
特别报导!潘恩下令开除史密斯
Flash! Paine brings chargesto expel Smith.
– 桑德斯在哪?- 她知道内♥幕♥
Where’s Saunders?She’ll have the lowdown.
我希望我知道她开她的老爷车出城了
I wish I knew.She left town in that jalopy of hers.
潘恩控告史密斯提出儿童营是为了他自己的利益
Paine accuses Smith of introducinga boys’ camp built for his own profit.
给我香烟
Give me a cigarette.
潘恩在会议之前要求听证
Paine’s asked for a hearingbefore the Committee.
特权选举议会室
坦白说,我亲爱的议员
Well, frankly, my dear senators,
今天早上艾伦先生闯进我的办公室
the morning that Mr. Allenburst into my office
带来证据说史密斯拥有营地的地契
bringing proof that Smithhad the deed to that campsite,
我非常吃惊!
I was dumbfounded!
对不起,当这件事发生时你做了什么?
Pardon me, what did you do whenthis was brought to your attention?
我跟记录部门的首长商谈
I consulted with the headof the Department of Records,
金亚瑟先生
Mr. Arthur Kim.
金先生,你记得记录过这项合约吗?
MAN:Mr. Kim, do you rememberrecording such a deed?
到这里来的那一天艾伦先生来到我面前
Yes. On the date set forth here,Mr. Allen came before me
记录这项合约
to record this deed,
说以杰佛森·史密斯的名字买♥♥下二百亩的土地
setting over 200 acresin the name of Jefferson Smith.
艾伦先生你认识史密斯先生多久?
How long have you knownSenator Smith, Mr. Allen?
好多年了
Oh, a good many years.
他每年夏天都用我的威利溪办他的童军营
He used my land by Willet Creekevery summer for his Boy Rangers.
看来像是个很好的人
Seemed like a mighty nice fellow.One day he made a proposition.
有天他提出一个计划
说他有机会卖♥♥土地说是至少五百元一亩地
Said he had a chance to sellthat land for at least $500 an acre.
每亩可以卖♥♥二十五元我就很高兴了所以我们就这么说定:
I’d be glad to get 25 for it.So we set it up like this:
我让给他土地契约他给我一份合约
I deeded him the land,and he gave me a contract
如果他卖♥♥掉保证给我一半
guaranteeing me half,if he made the sale.
你现在介意
Mind you now, the whole thingsounded fishy at the time.
这整件事听起来很奇怪
你讲的合约
That contract you mentioned,have you got that document?
你有拿到吗?
That land wouldn’t bein his name if I didn’t.
如果我没拿到土地不会在他的名下
是的,先生过户好了的
Yes, sir. Signed and delivered.
我从没签任何的契约!
I never signed any such contract!He certainly did!
他当然有!
Just a moment, please.
请等等
[CROWD MURMURING]
合约同意书
肯尼斯·艾伦杰佛森·史密斯
After a long study of this signature,it is my professional opinion
根据我长久对签名字迹的研判以我专业的经验
这绝对是杰佛森·史密斯亲笔签名
that it is definitely inJefferson Smith’s own handwriting.
根据我笔迹专业经验
As an expert on handwriting,
我说这合约上的签名是伪造的
I’d say the name of Jefferson Smithon this contract has been forged.
我敢拿我二十年专业
I would stake my whole 20 yearsprofessional career
说这不是伪造的
on the fact that this is not a forgery
是史密斯先生的亲笔签名
but is Mr. Smith’s own signature.
这对我来说是痛苦的义务
This is a very painful duty for me.
这小子是我最好朋友的儿子
This boy’s the sonof my very best friend.
我在议院支持他我帮他提出议案
I sponsored him in the Senate.I helped frame his bill.
当他提出来的时候我去恭喜他
When he presented it,I went to congratulate him
而指出水坝已经要建立
but pointed outa dam was already going up
是在他选择的营地的地点
on the very sitehe’d chosen for his camp.
旁边附近也有个很好的营地
There are othergood campsites nearby
所以我建议他选另一个
so I suggested he choose another.
他变得很生气
He became furious.
他说, “挪开水坝”
He said, “Move the dam.”
我对于他激烈的反应非常惊讶我不能理解
I was amazed at his violent reaction.I couldn’t understand.
直到我有证据证明他拥有这两百亩的地
Until the evidence came to me thathe owned those very 200 acres.
就如你们已经听过的
And as you have heard,
小心的计划来赚取暴利
had carefully laid plansto make an enormous profit
从这国家的小孩身上一分一角的赚回来
out of the nickels and dimes scrapedtogether by the boys of this country.
面对事实
Faced with that,
不管我个人对这孩子的感觉
regardless of mypersonal feelings for the boy,
我的责任感告诉我议院该开除他
my sense of duty told mehis expulsion from the Senate
才是唯一可能的答案
was the only possible answer.
非常漂亮,那个泰勒黑手
Beautiful, that Taylor machine.
[ALL MURMURING]
史密斯议员,请
MAN:Senator Smith, please.
上证人席好吗?
Will you take the chair, please?
议会现在听你辩解史密斯议员
The Committee is readyto hear you now, Senator Smith.
各位,坐好!
MAN:Keep your seats, gentlemen!
会议还没休会
Committee is not adjourned yet.
安静!请安静!
Quiet! Please!
[BAND PLAYING & MEN LAUGHING]
当吉姆·泰勒拿那童子军开刀时他根本不知道是怎么回事
That Ranger never knew what struckhim when Jim Taylor opened up on him.
你们这群女孩哪一个要?
Which one of you girls wants this?
[WOMEN CHATTERING]
Eenee, meenie, minie, mo.
– 你要吗?- 是
Do you want it?WOMAN: Oh, yes.
[???]
民有民治
民享的政♥府♥决不会从地球上消失
[JEFF SOBBING]
Oh… Oh.
你知道,我有预感我在其它地方都找不到你时
You know, I had a hunchI’d find you here
我会在这里找到你
when you weren’t anyplace else.
你好吗,桑德斯?
How’ve you been, Saunders?
很好
Oh, all right.
你的丈夫好吗?
Your husband. How’s he?
My…? Oh.
老迪斯我们没有结婚
Old Diz. We’re not married.
Oh.
你知道我回来后发现什么好事在等我?
Good thing I got back just when I did.You know what I found waiting for me?
No.Jar of preserves from your mother.
你妈做的果酱
你收到了?
Oh, you did?
里面是什么,草莓?
What was it, strawberry?Uh-huh.
最好的
That’s the best kind.
Well, I…
我看见报纸你真的当上了议员
I see by the papersyou certainly got to be a senator.
你真的对我很了解桑德斯
You sure had the right ideaabout me, Saunders.
你告诉我回家继续告诉小孩子废话
You told me to go back home andkeep filling those kids full of hooey.
你说,我是个很简单的人耳朵后面还溼的
Just a simple guy, you said,still wet behind the ears,
很多美国梦的废话
lot of junk about American ideals.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!