山姆·傅利议员死了
“Senator Samuel Foley dead.”
在这的圣文森医院死的
Died here at Saint Vincent’s.
是他政♥治♥上的好伙伴乔瑟夫·潘恩议员送他走的
“At the bedside was politicalsidekick Senator Joseph Paine.”
长途台?
Long distance?
我是乔·潘恩,帮我接住在杰克森市的州长
Joseph Paine speaking. I wantthe governor’s residence, Jackson City.
Hello? Oh, Joe!
乔!
不!
Oh, no!Couldn’t have happened at a worse time.
不可能比这更糟的时候发生了
打给吉姆·泰勒,告诉他我今晚飞回来
Call Jim Taylor. Tell himI’m on a plane for home.
立刻
Yes, Joe, yes. Right away.
什么事?
What is it?
– 山姆·傅利死了- 老天!
Sam Foley’s dead.Great saints!
傅利
Of all times,Foley had to go and die on us.
得在这个时候突然去世
你打给谁?
Who are you calling?Taylor, my dear.
泰勒,亲爱的
什么事,黑皮?
What’s up, Happy?Sam Foley died tonight.
山姆·傅利今晚过世了
真是遗憾
That’s too bad.
别激动,潘恩要来吗?
Well, don’t get excited.Is Paine coming?
是,吉姆
Yes, Jim. Yes, Jim.
是,吉姆
Yes, Jim.
如果你说不他就吓死了
He’d drop deadif you ever said no.
亲爱的,没时间说笑
No, my dear, this is no time for jokes.
我要指派一个新的议员
I’ve got to appoint a new senator.The governor will see all committees.
州长要召开议会
告诉他我不要等了
Tell him I won’t wait any longer.Yes, Mr. Edwards.
可能泰勒在里面告诉他怎么做
Probably got Taylor in there,telling him what to do.
叫他们等一下,我马上要见他们
HOPPER:Tell them to wait.I’ll see them immediately.
我没办法再拖延这些咆哮的市民了
I’ve got to see those citizens,I can’t put them off.
他们要知道谁会接替傅利的位子
They’ll want something to say aboutwho takes Foley’s place.
八成已经有人选了
Ten to one they’ve got a man.Relax, Happy.
放轻松,黑皮
Stop having kittens.
别玩了
去告诉吉姆·泰勒跟乔·潘恩
Go and tell Jim Taylor and Joe Paine,
我再给他们一分钟去决定
I give them one minuteto make up their minds.
你去告诉吉姆·泰勒
You go tell Jim Taylor.
我会告诉他
I will tell him.
是告诉吉姆·泰勒别太嚣张的时候了
It’s high time I told Jim Taylora thing or two.
要是你和乔还在研究这个任命
If you and Joe gab any longerabout this appointment,
我就马上见那些议员
I’ll see those committees.You’ll see them when we’re finished.
我们开完会后你就能见他们了
但快点,好吗?
Yes, Jim. But hurry, will you?Yes, we’ll hurry. We’ll hurry.
就这样告诉他,黑皮
That’s telling him, Happy, old boy.
吉姆
Jim, with this Willet Creek Damcoming up,
关于威利水坝的案子
任何接替傅利位子的人
the man who takes Foley’s place
不能问任何问题或是提出反对
can’t ask any questionsor talk out of turn.
我们一定要确定这一点
Got to be absolutely sure.That’s why I say Horace Miller.
所以我提名贺瑞斯·米勒
他会服从命令
He’ll take orders all right.
要是我们不要这水坝案通过
Suppose we don’t try to go throughwith this dam.
要是延到下个国会会期
Suppose we postpone ituntil next session of Congress.
或是完全放弃
Or drop it altogether.That’d be a crime, Joe.
乔,太可惜了
在我们这么努力之后?
After all the work we put in on it?
藏在预算不足议案中
Getting it buried in this Deficiency Billas nicely as you please.
就如你想的一样的好
让它通过到目前还蛮顺利的
Having it approved.It’s rolling along.
就像从小孩身上拿走糖一样
Like taking candy from a baby.
值得用一个新议员去冒这个丑闻的风险吗?
Is it worth the risk of a scandal,with a new man in the Senate?
值得冒风险?
Worth the risk?
你怎么回事?
What’s the matter with you?
你所关心的我一定会很小心的
Where you’re concerned,I wouldn’t take the slightest risk,
尤其是你在议院里的好名誉
especially with your great reputationin the Senate.
看这里
Here, look.
看我在报纸上替你做的竞选活动
Look at the campaignI started for youin all my papers.
有点奇怪,不是吗?
A little obscure,isn’t it?
我不知道,也许是
I don’t know. Maybe.
[CHUCKLES]
毕竟你是从西部来的有逻辑的人
But after all,you’re the logical manfrom the West
来争取全国的票源
for the national ticket.
在全国代♥表♥大♥会♥上什么都有可能发生
At the convention,anything can happen.
如果照你说有可能
Jim, if what you say is possible,
为什么不照我说的放弃这个水坝案?
why not do as I sayand drop things like this dam?
乔,我们不能这么做
We can’t do it, Joe.
我们已经悄悄的把水坝周围的土地都买♥♥下来
We’ve been quietlybuying all the landaround that dam
放在一个莫须有的名下
and holding it in dummy names.
如果我们现在放弃马上会有人来调查
If we drop it now,it’ll bring about an investigation.
之后就会发现我们以假的名义
It’ll show that we’re going to sell itto the state
卖♥♥给国家
under phony names.
最聪明的打算
The smartest thing for us to do
就是促使水坝案通过
is to push this dam through
让整件事结束掉
and get it over with.
好了,指派贺瑞斯
All right, appoint Miller.If you’re sure he’ll take orders.
如果你确定他会听话
Don’t worry. He’ll take orders.
别担心他会听话

Come on.
等等再等一下!
HOPPER:Just a minute.Just one more minute!
我们有人选了
We’ve got your man.
贺瑞斯·米勒
Horace Miller.Horace Miller?
天生的傀儡!
A born stooge!
贺瑞斯会表现的像训练过的海狗
Horace will perform like a trained seal.
我怎么告诉你的?
What did I tell you?
如果我提名个像贺瑞斯这样的党员–
If I throw a party man like Miller…
有某些我不能说的原因但一定要是他
For reasons I can’t go into,it’s got to be him.
你了解吗?决定你的票
Do you understand?Now make out your ticket.

Come on.
我要先见这些气愤的议员们
But I’ve got to see thoseangry committees first.
为了和谐
Work for harmony. Harmony!
和谐!
In considering candidateswho might have the high qualifications
在所有的参选人当中
最有资格当选参议员的人
of U.S. senator,
像一颗闪亮星星一样的出现
one name shone out like a beacon,
就是值得敬重的贺瑞斯·米勒
the Honorable Horace Miller.
[CROWD PROTESTING]
一位党员他是泰勒的傀儡!
A party man. He’s Taylor’s stooge!Please!
请不要!
New Citizens Committeewon’t stand for this!
新市民议会不会支持的!
他们提名他们自己的候选人?
So they namedtheir own candidate, eh?
谁?
Who?
– 你不喜欢他的- 说,谁?
You won’t like him.Come on, who?
亨利·希尔
Henry Hill.Henry Hill, that crackpot?
那个怪胎?
You should’ve killed that so fast…
你该马上把它否决掉
我没办法
I couldn’t.
– 那些人很- 算了
Those men were…Never mind.
你别提他们了
You forget about them.
那些人太过认真如果我
That bunch is outfor blood. If I…
我说别提他们
I said forget about them.
贺瑞斯·米勒会当议员就这么决定
Horace Miller goes to the Senate,and that settles it.
我不会指派贺瑞斯·米勒
I won’t send Horace Miller.
– 你不会?- 不会
You won’t?No, I won’t.
我不会让你不经意的毁掉我整个政♥治♥前途
I won’t let you callouslywreck my whole political future.
你的政♥治♥前途?
Your political future?
我买♥♥来当个礼物送你
I bought it for you as a present.
我可以很快的收回让你头昏脑胀
I can grab it back so fastit’ll make your head swim.
当我们还处在这种情况之下
You’ve got a nerve to sit and worryabout your future
你还敢坐在这里担心你的未来
when we’re in a spotlike this.
米勒就是候选人
The man is Miller.
嗨,爸
Hello, Dad.
[CHILDREN CHATTERING]
怎么了?这个让你很沮丧吗?
What’s the matter?Is it getting you down?
什么让我沮丧?
Is what getting me down?You’re in a deuce of a pickle.
你不知道要选谁
看来不是亨利·希尔不成
Looks like Henry Hill or else.
不是贺瑞斯·米勒不成
It’s Horace Miller or else.Peter!
彼得!
I wouldn’t appoint a twerp like Miller,Taylor or no Taylor.
不管泰勒要怎样,我不会指派贺瑞斯·米勒这种笨蛋
我能问你泰勒与此何干?
May I askwhat Taylor has to do with this?

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!