I can’t hear you.
重要
It is.
记住了 对她而言
Keep in mind, that for her,
这个知识可能无关紧要 但你而言
this knowledge is incidental but for you
可能事关生死
it can be life or death.
所以你需要足够严肃地
So you might want to treat this material
对待这个主题 米克斯先生
with the seriousness it deserves, Mr. Meeks.
这也让我想起 我差不多
Which reminds me, I’m almost done
把你们的作业改完了 我道歉
grading your assignments. I apologize,
比平常花的时间久了一点 但是
it’s taking me a little longer than usual but,
你们很快就会收到反馈
you’ll have them back soon.
好了
All right…
德肖恩
Deshaun…
德肖恩
Deshaun!
我们来看看里面
Let’s have a look in here. Okay…
-看看 -感觉怪怪的
– Let’s see… – That feels funny!
是吗
Oh yeah?
这样呢
What about that?
怪吗
Does that feel funny?
周末去康奈尔玩怎么样
How do you feel about a weekend trip to Cornell?
-这周末吗 -对
– This weekend? – Yeah.
玛吉的姐姐说她会打点关系
Maggie’s sister said she’d make a call
让卢斯能有和教授独处的时间
and get Luce some one-on-one time with the professor.
这周末我们要参加新生儿派对
This weekend we have the sip-and-see.
-天呐 -你不想去的话
– Oh my God! – If you don’t want to go,
应该早点说 对吧
you should have said, right?
嗯 我不是不想去
Yeah, well, it’s not that I don’t want to go. I mean,
-相信我 我不想去 但是 -你就是讨厌婴儿
– Trust me. I don’t want to go, but… – No, you just hate babies.
我不讨厌婴儿
I do not hate babies.
我超喜欢婴儿
I mean, I love babies!
但你讨厌婴儿
But you hate babies.
我只是惊讶于你把
Well, I’m just shocked you’re prioritizing
前任的新生儿派对看得比儿子的大学教育更重
your ex’s sip-and-see over your son’s college education,
不过这只是我的个人想法
but hey, that’s just me.
好吧 我懂你意思了
Okay. Punchline and point made.
好吧 你来决定带什么东西
Okay, fine. You’re in charge of picking up
去参加新生儿派对
whatever someone brings to a sip-and-see.
好的 回家见
Got it. Okay, see you at home.
回见
See ya.

Hello?
没错 是我
Yes, this is Amy.
各就各位
On your mark…
预备
Set…

Go!
新星高中
将军运动场
-埃德加夫人 -你好
– Mrs. Edgar. – Hi.
感谢你抽出时间来一趟
I appreciate you coming back down here.
必须要为重要的事情腾出时间
Well, you have to make time for what’s important.
说得没错
Ain’t that the truth.
-学生们有你这样的老师真幸运 -谢谢
– Kids are lucky to have you. – Thank you.
-卢斯也一样 -我们有他真幸运
– Luce too. – We’re lucky to have him.
我们很关心他的成功
We care a great deal about his success.
-我和彼得也是 -当然
– Peter and I too. – Of course.
而且我知道家庭环境很重要
And I know context matters.
请坐
Please, sit.
考虑到卢斯的背景
Given Luce’s background,
你和彼得一定遇到了很多难题
you and Peter must have faced quite a few challenges.
语言障碍 文化冲击
the language barrier, the culture shock.
他的适应能力很强
He’s a resilient kid.
是的 但这也证明了你们的培养有方
He is. But it’s also a testament to your parenting.
谢谢
Well, thank you.
我们得到了很多支持 尤其是最开始的时候
We had a lot of support, especially in the early days. I mean,
把一个孩子从战区接出来
you don’t pull a kid out of a war zone
让他变成卢斯这样 没有许多帮助是不行的
and have him turn out like Luce without a lot of help.
我想也是
I bet.
所以我很难开口
Which is why this is so difficult.
难开口
Difficult?
上周 我给班上布置了一份作业
Last week, the class was given an assignment
以一个历史人物的口吻写篇论文
to write in the voice of an historical figure.
有学生选择了大萧条开始时的罗斯福总统
Some students picked FDR at the start of the Great Depression
甚至是猪湾的菲德尔·卡斯特罗
or even Fidel Castro at the Bay of Pigs.
目的是让他们开动脑筋
The goal was to get them to think outside of the box.
只是想确保你明白我为什么谈这个
Just want to make sure you understand where I’m coming from.
请看
Please.
这个弗兰茨·法农是谁
Who is this Frantz Fanon?
一个泛非洲革命者
He was a pan-African revolutionary.
他主张暴♥力♥是必要的净化力量
He argued that violence was a necessary cleansing force,
使殖民地人♥民♥摆脱殖民者需要它
that it was needed to free colonized people from their rulers.
-你教这个吗 -不教
– You-you teach this? – I don’t.
听着
Look,
我不会假装明白
I won’t pretend to know
卢斯要如何面对自身的某些方面
what it’s like for Luce to confront certain aspects of who he is
我也无权
and it’s not within my purview
说一个十岁前一直在…
to say what a boy who spent his first 10 years in…
厄立特里亚
Eritrea.
没错
Right.
那会是什么样子
What that might have been like,
他为了融入这里又做出了哪些调整
what kind of adjustments he must have made in order to fit in here.
我不知道他的治疗详情
And I don’t know the details of his treatment…
你肯定听说过他经历了数年的恢复
Well, I’m sure you’ve heard he went through years of recovery
他没有表现出…
and he showed no signs of…
-我无意暗示 -我只想说清楚
– I-I didn’t mean to imply… – No, I just want to be clear that
不管他那时遭受或造成了什么暴♥力♥
whatever violence he both suffered and inflicted during that time
都处理过了 已经治疗了
was dealt with, it’s been processed.
当然
Of course.
但是鉴于现在校园安全的情况
But with the climate around school security the way it is right now,
你应该能理解我的担心
you can understand my concern.
是的
Yes.
所以我觉得我需要搜查他的储物柜
Which is why I felt I needed to search his locker.
-你说什么 -艾米
– I’m sorry? – Amy…
他就是写了篇论文
He wrote a paper.
可是在这篇论文中他描述
A paper in which he describes
他认为政♥治♥问题的解决方法
his belief that the solution to a political problem
就是枪杀那些你不认同的人
is to gun down those with whom you disagree.
好吧 但他是站在这个人物的立场上
Right. But he was assuming a character.
这是作业要求的 你…
The assignment called for this and you…
我在他的储物柜发现了这个
I found this in his locker.
-不 -艾米
– No. – Amy.
不 抱歉
No, I’m sorry.
我尊重我儿子的隐私
I respect my son’s privacy.
他写了一篇论文吓到了你 行
Now, he wrote a paper that scared you. Fine.
那是你和他之间的事
That’s between you and him.
但我不会 我不会侵犯他应有的隐私权
But I won’t, I will not violate his right to the privacy he’s owed.
这是烟花
They’re fireworks.
非法且非常危险的烟花
Illegal and very dangerous fireworks.
可以在墙上炸出个洞 更别说…
They could put a hole in the wall, let alone…
你到底想说什么
Where are you going with this?
现在只有我知道这件事
Right now I’m the only one who knows about them,
但如果别人发现呢
but what if someone else were to find them?
如果一个不像你我这样了解卢斯的人
If someone who didn’t know Luce the way you and I do
意外发现这些烟花
were to stumble on this
再加上他这样背景的人写下这种言论…
within the context of his background having written this…
你拿着
Take them.
和他谈谈
Talk to him.
他这个模范对我们学校太重要 不能让他搞砸
Who he is is too important to this school for him to fuck it up.
他不能搞砸
He can’t fuck it up.
请和他谈谈
Talk to him, please.
我会的
I will.
是你一直在谈论斯蒂芬妮
You’re the one who keeps talking about Stephanie.
-我没有 -你到底什么毛病
– No, I’m not! – The fuck is wrong with you?
闭嘴 放开我

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!