在轻声细语中
“And yet ’tis whispered
贡朵拉的小船驶进致命的水域
that when the gondolas glide through the fatal waters…”
这片水域流淌着一片血红
“These same waters still run crimson
那是维奥拉小姐和她英勇爱人的鲜血
“with the blood of lady viella and her gallant lover,
他们死于幽灵之手
slain by the phantom hand.”
全书完
“The end.”

Jo?

Jo?
怎么了 贝丝?
Yes, Beth?
进来吧
Come in.
你怎么了 乔?
What’s the matter, Jo?
我的故事
My story.
可怜的乔
Poor Jo.
写得好吗?
Isn’t it any good?
简直太棒了
It’s wonderful.
对了 劳里在楼下等你呢
Oh. Well, Laurie’s waiting downstairs for you.
烦人 我让他别来打扰我的
Oh, bilge! I told him not to bother me.
他说他会等你下来
He said he’s going to wait until you come down.
随他吧 我希望他能意识到我没时间听他胡扯
Let him. I wish he’d realize I haven’t time for his nonsense.
包裹里是什么?
What’s in the package?
我做的拖鞋
Slippers. I made them.
给谁的?- 一位绅士的
Who for? – A gentleman.
一个绅士?
A gentleman?
这家里的人都犯什么毛病了?
What’s the matter with everybody in this family?
这是一位老绅士的
Oh, this is an old gentleman.
爸爸?他们不会让他在军队里穿这个的
Father? They won’t let him wear those in the army.
爸爸也不老
Father isn’t old.
是给劳伦斯先生的
They’re for Mr. Laurence.
他人真好 让我去弹钢琴
He’s been so kind about letting me play on that lovely piano.
这几周我一直去那里
In all the weeks I’ve been going there,
我都没有见到他
I haven’t even seen him.
我说 这不是艾米的发带吗?
Say, isn’t this Amy’s hair ribbon?
是的 但我以为她打算扔掉了
Yes, but I think she was going to throw it away.
你以为?
You think?
真有你的
You’re a trump.
你的小说写完了吗 乔 我能看看吗?
Is your story finished, Jo? Can I read it?
现在还不行 贝丝 祈祷吧
Not now, Beth. But keep your fingers crossed
也许你能看到它被印刷出来的
and maybe you’ll read it in print.
我怎么向劳里说?
What will I tell Laurie?
跟他说我消失了
Oh, tell him I went up in smoke.
你难受吗?
Did you have a bad time?
还好
Not very.
这么快就出来了?
Well, you got through quickly.
是啊 谢天谢地
Yes, thank goodness.
怎么一个人来?
Why’d you go alone?
不想让别人知道
Didn’t want anyone to know.
我从没见过你这么古怪的人
Well, you’re the oddest fellow I ever saw.
你拔了几个?
How many did you have out?
什么拔了几个?
How many of what did I have out?
当然是牙齿
Teeth, of course.
我的乖乖
Christopher Columbus!
原来你以为我去拔牙了
Is that what you thought?
不然的话 是什么?
Well, what is it, then?
秘密
A secret.
我以为我们之间没有秘密了
I thought we weren’t going to have any secrets from each other.
你就是那样的女孩
That’s a girl for you.
哦伙计 这不一样的
Oh, bilge! This is different.
好吧 守护好你的秘密吧
Alright, keep your secret.
我…我也有一个秘密
I’ve…I’ve got one, too.
好事吗?
Something plummy?
很好的事
Something very plummy.
你说你的秘密 我就说的
You tell me yours, and I’ll tell you mine.
好吧 给你
Alright. Here.
你自己念
Read for yourself.
“支付约瑟芬·马奇小姐1元”
“Paid to Josephine March, $1.00.”
为什么?
For what?
这个嘛…
Well…
翻过去看
Turn it over.
付清她的小说《幽灵之手》稿酬
“In full payment for her story entitled the phantom hand.”
嗯 你觉得怎么样?
Well, what do you think of that?
一块钱呢
$1.00.
这个嘛…
Oh, well…
也许还不多
It isn’t much, perhaps,
但总有一天我会赚到更多的
but someday I’ll get as high as $10.
乔 我不明白
Jo, I…I just don’t understand you,
你把自己关在阁楼上
cooping yourself up in that garret,
错过跟我玩的机会 是为了工作
missing a lot of fun with me, working,
还是什么?
and for what?
为了这区区一块钱
For one measly little dollar.
这不只是一块钱
It isn’t the dollar,
至少…不全是为了钱
at least, that’s… That’s not all of it.
呃 是为了…
It’s…well, it’s…
我写的故事能被出版
It’ll be in print, and I wrote it,
然后人们读到它
and people will read it,
那些我不认识的人们
people I’ve never even seen.
好吧 我知道梅格的手套在哪里
Well, anyway, I know where Meg’s glove is.
那就是你的秘密?
Is that your secret?
等我说完嘛
Wait’ll you hear where it is.
好吧 在哪儿?
Well, where is it?
在某人口袋里
In a certain pocket.
谁的?
Whose?
布鲁克的 是不是很浪漫?
Brooke’s. Isn’t that romantic?
不 这挺可怕
No, it’s horrid.
难道你不喜欢?- 真荒唐
You don’t like it? – It’s ridiculous.
这些恶心的废话
Of all the sickly, sentimental rubbish.
让我反胃
I’m disgusted.
真希望你没告诉我
I wish you hadn’t told me.
我很高兴梅格不知道这件事
I’m glad Meg doesn’t know about it.
她会生气的
She’d be furious.
我告诉你 她才不会关心这种事呢
She doesn’t care about such stuff, let me tell you.
她对现状很满意了
She’s perfectly happy with the way things are.
你最好让布鲁克先生离我们远些
You’d better tell Mr. Brooke to keep away from us,
否则我会让他知道我的想法
or I’ll let him know what I think of him.
竟妄想拆散我们家庭
Trying to break up my family.
乔 当有人爱上你的时候
Oh, you’ll feel differently, Jo,
你就会感到不同了
when someone falls in love with you,
在一个温和的夏日
on a soft summer day,
阳光穿过了树林
with the sun setting through the trees,
你爱人的手臂环绕着你
and your lover’s arms stealing around you.
哼 我倒想看看谁敢
Huh! I’d like to see anyone try it.
是吗?
Would you?

Hey!
我会捉到你的!
I’ll get you!
你捉不到!
You can’t catch me!
我会的!
Oh, yes, I can!

Hey!
让我进去
Let me in!
开门啊!快!
Open the gate! Quick!
要不是我跌倒 我会捉到你的
I’d have caught you if I hadn’t fallen.
你真该看看劳里他…
Oh, you should have seen Laurie when he…
你好 乔小姐
Hello, miss Jo.
谢谢你下午陪我 梅格
Thank you for the afternoon, Meg.
谢谢你 约翰
Oh, why, thank you, John.
以前 客人拜访从没这么愉快过
Paying visits has never been quite so much fun before.
希望我们能再次见面
I hope we can do it again soon.
再见 布鲁克先生
Good-bye, Mr. Brooke.
一起走吧 梅格
Come along, Meg.
再见 约翰
Good-bye, John.
再见 梅格
Good-bye, Meg.
那么…再见了 乔
Well… Good-bye, Jo.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!