(对库奇区民众的爱、关心与关怀)
(诚挚感谢库奇区的 马哈劳普拉穆吉三世)
(库奇区税收长)
(普杰市警局、普杰市林务局)
(达纳百兰吉阿耶、巴拉丘塔尼) (尼基夏、劳乌博士)
(普杰市的艺人及库纳里亚村村民)
(柯泰村村民与库奇区民众)
(诚挚感谢阿米塔布巴沙坎先生)
(维多利亚女皇)
The year is 1♥8♥9♥3.
时为1♥8♥9♥3年
Champaner.
尚庞
A small village in the heart of India.
印度中心的一个小村庄
The people of Champaner
depended on agriculture
尚庞的村民以务农为生
like those in thousands of villages.
如同其他几千个村庄的居民
A British cantonment bordered the village.
一个英国兵营驻扎在村庄边缘
Two miles south, beyond the cantonment,
was the fort of the king of this province.
往南约三公里 在兵营的更远处 是这个省份的王公的堡垒
The British protected the king’s
domain from neighboring attacks.
英国人保护王公的领地免于邻省侵害
They also promised the other kings
protection from this king.
并向其他王公保证 不会受到这个王公的侵略
Thanks to this double-dealing,
靠着这样的双边交易
the British collected tax from those kings
英国人不但向其他王公收税
and the king of Champaner, too.
也向尚庞的王公征税
Lagaan.
拉干
A portion of the farmer’s harvest,
like wheat, pearl millet,
就是农人将收成的一部分 包括小麦、珍珠稷
and rice, was handed over
to the king as a tax.
及稻米上交王公作为税赋
Every king collected tax
from villages under his rule.
每位王公向他统治的村庄收税
The king would keep one share
王公自己会留下一份
and give the rest to the British.
其他全交给英国人
In this way, the British
control strengthened itself.
借此 英国人的控制持续增压
Like thousands of villages
across the country,
如同全国数千个村庄
the farmers of Champaner
toiled on empty bellies
尚庞的农民挨饿劳动
and paid taxes to the king every year.
每年缴税给王公
Last year it rained, but very little.
去年虽然有下雨 但非常少
And this year,
there has been no rain so far.
今年到目前为止仍未有雨
Dry eyes scan the sky.
干涸的双眼仰望着天空
What do you keep looking at up there?
你干嘛在那边一直看着天空?
Just wondering when the
sky will darken with clouds.
我只是在想天空何时会出现乌云
How I long for the rains!
我好希望赶快下雨!
A month of the monsoon season
has gone by without a drop of rain.
进入雨季一个月了 却没有半滴雨水
Coming, coming.
来了
By God’s grace,
at least we have drinking water,
上天慈悲 至少我们还有饮水
else we’d be parched to the bone.
否则我们就要干枯到骨子里了
-Such are His ways.
-Yes.
-真像他的作风 -是啊
The fields are barren.
How will the grains ripen?
土地贫脊 作物如何生长?
Don’t lose heart, Hari.
别失去信心 哈里
If the sky doesn’t bless us,
we’ll dig into the earth.
若天不庇护我们 我们就往地下挖
We’ll reach deep into
the earth for water.
我们会挖出地下水的
This is what I told Bhuvan.
我也是这样跟布凡说的
Where is he?
他人在哪里?
He’s been out somewhere
since this morning.
他一早就出去了
It’s time to eat.
Send him home if you see him.
吃饭时间到了 若你见到他就叫他回来
-Yes.
-You pests. I’ll wring your necks.
-好 -臭小子 我要扭断你们的脖子
Oh, no. The Great Chicken War again.
不会吧 野鸡大战又开始了
Goli’s darn kids.
哥里家的臭小鬼
See if I don’t ram
you down a gun barrel.
看我把你们塞进枪管里
Morons. Who do you think you are?
一群白♥痴♥ 你们自以为是谁啊?
Get lost, Bhura.
滚开 布拉
Hey, you wretch.
Come here, I’ll show you.
混账东西 有种过来 我让你好看
-Wait right there.
-Come on.
-你等着 -来啊
-I’ll put you in bed for days.
-How dare you hit my kids?
-我让你好几天都下不了床 -你竟敢打我的孩子?
I’ll hang them upside down by
a tree and burn chilis under them.
我还要把他们倒着绑在树上 在下面烧红辣椒呢
They’re hassling my hens. And you?
他们跑来搞我的母鸡 至于你
You behave,
else I’ll burn your slingshot.
你最好别闹事 否则我烧了你的弹弓
-Is that so?
-Stop it now.
-是吗? -别吵了
You two are worse than cats and dogs.
你们真是比猫狗打架还吵
But his boys are after my hens.
是他的小孩跑来搞我的母鸡
Stop acting like
they’re being molested.
别说得一副它们被调戏似的
Your hens aren’t getting married.
你的母鸡又没有结婚
They’re only kids.
Goli, control your kids.
他们只是小孩子 哥里 管好你的孩子
Tell me, have you seen Bhuvan?
告诉我 你看到布凡了吗?
-No. You seen him, Bhura?
-No.
-没有 你看到了吗 布拉? -没看到
Why?
怎么了?
Left, right, left…
左、右、左…
Scumbags!
混账东西!
Sons of jackals.
一群王八走狗
Strutting around in the heat.
在大热天这样炫耀卖♥♥弄
One day, you will all
return to your little island,
总有一天 你们全都会滚回
where you came from.
你们自己的小岛去
May the mighty hands of fate ruin you.
愿全能的命运之手毁灭你们
Guran, why bother
reading their fortune?
古兰 何必为他们算命?
They won’t even care. Read my fortune.
他们不会在乎的 替我算一算吧
Tell me. Will I get
the prince of my dreams?
告诉我 我会找到梦寐以求的白马王子吗?
Why not?
为何不会?
If you truly love him,
then he’s the one you’ll find.
若你真的爱他 就一定会找到他
You’ll be his bride.
成为他的新娘
-Really? You heard that, Jigni?
-Yes.
-真的吗?你听到了吗 吉妮? -听到了
But…
可是…
But what?
可是什么?
I see an obstacle.
我看到一个阻碍
What obstacle? Tell me quickly.
什么阻碍?快点告诉我
歌♥莉!
Later.
你等一下
Read my fortune.
替我算命吧
What is it, Uncle?
什么事 叔叔?
-Was Guran telling your fortune?
-No.
-古兰在替你算命吗? -没有
-Yes.
-He’s crazy.
-对啦 -他疯了
No clue about the present
and he babbles about the future!
他连当下都搞不清楚 对未来只是在胡说八道!
No, Uncle Hari. He’s not crazy.
不对 哈里叔叔 他没有疯
You forgot about sister-in-law Durga?
你忘记德嘉小姑的事了吗?
She was childless for nine years.
Then Guran said she’d have a son.
她九年都没生孩子 古兰预言她会有个儿子
And wasn’t Somu born?
Take Kesariya, for example–
结果索姆不就出生了?还有基萨雅…
All right, all right.
That lunatic is not crazy.
知道了 那个疯子没有疯
Now, tell me. Have you seen Bhuvan?
告诉我 你见到布凡了吗?
No, but I know where he’ll be.
没有 但我知道他会去哪里
Amazing.
太厉害了
So, our little girl keeps tabs on him?
咱们的小妮子一直密切注意他呢?
Lakha, what is it to you?
拉卡 关你什么事?
I see. This concerns me
and I’m not to open my mouth?
这样啊 我担心却不能开口问?
Why don’t you wear
wedding bangles for me?
你何不为我戴上结婚手镯好了?
-Lakha, what nonsense is this?
-I really mean it.
-拉卡 你在胡说什么? -我是认真的
You’ve grown old
and Gauri here doesn’t care for me.
你年纪大了 这个歌♥莉又对我漠不关心
Here, look at this. Look.
你看这个 你看啊
-See how badly hurt I am.
-Hurt?