好 等一下 我不太确定她的精神状况
Wait. l’m not so sure about her mental health.
-什么意思 -她说她在看神经病医生
-What do you mean? -She said she was seeing a shrink.
心理治疗师
A psychiatrist.
你看过她对墙壁说话吗
Did you see her talk to walls?
我只是说 你知道的
l’m just saying, you know.
我只是说你没有选择
l’m just saying you don’t have a choice.
周六早上10点 带比利到中♥央♥公园的池塘去
Have Billy at the boat pond in Central Park, Saturday at 1 0.
-一定要去吗 -是的
-Do l have to? -Yes.
谢谢
Thanks very much.
爹地 你要回来念完这个故事吗
Daddy, will you come on and finish the story?
好 我马上就来
Okay, l’m coming. l’m coming.
如果那个人淹死怎么办 他们要怎么找到他
What happens if the guy drowns? How do they find him?
我想人死的时候 会有一些气泡升上来
When you die, there’s bubbles that come up or something.
我刚说到哪里
Where did l leave off?
说到这里
You left off right there.
“雷暴风 ”
“Thundering typhoons….”
还有障碍路线什么的
lt’s got an obstacle course and stuff.
-那车子跑得很快 -多少钱
-The cars go really fast. -How much?
真的很棒
lt’s really neat.
那个很棒
lt’s neat.
-来这里 我要你看—好
-Come here, l want you to look—Okay, okay.
6点前我会送他回来
l’ll have him back by 6.
你长得好帅啊
You got so handsome.
记住 我们谈过 回答要简短 讲重点
Remember, we talked about it, keep your answers short and succinct.
说实话就没问题 相信我
Just tell the truth and it’ll be all right. Believe me.
-她来了 -我知道 我看到她了
-She’s here. -Yeah, l know. l saw her.
不管怎么做 不要太情绪化 不管那个男的说什么
Whatever you do, try not to become emotional, no matter what he says.
你会听到很多让你生气的话 但你都不要有反应
You’ll hear things that may upset you. l don’t want you to react.
纽约州高等法♥院♥
Persons having business with the Supreme Court, State of New York…
特别开庭期第五期 各位有关人士请上前陈情
…special term part five, draw nigh and ye shall be heard.
现在开庭 由艾特亭法官审理 全体起立
This court is now in session. Judge Atkins presiding. All rise.
-原告律师准备好了吗 -是的 庭上
-ls the petitioner’s attorney ready? -l am, Your Honor.
我想传唤乔安娜克莱默
l would like to call Joanna Kramer.
用母爱直接攻击要害
Motherhood, going for the throat.
你发誓所言句句属实 绝无虚言
You swear to tell the truth and nothing but the truth?
是的
l do.
克莱默太太 请告诉庭上你结婚多久了
Now, Mrs. Kramer, would you tell the court how long you were married?
8年
Eight years.
这几年你是否快乐
And would you describe those years as happy?
头两年很快乐
The first two, yes.
但之后就越来越艰难
But after that it became increasingly difficult.
克莱默太太 你结婚之前有工作吗
Mrs. Kramer, did you hold a job before you were married?
我有 我从史密斯学院毕业后
Yes, l did. When l first got out of Smith…
在女仕杂♥志♥设计部门 工作好几年
…l worked in the art department of Mademoiselle magazine for years.
你结婚之后有继续工作吗
Did you continue to work after you were married?
没有
No. l did not.
你当时想工作吗
Did you wish to?
想 但每次我和泰德–
Yes, but every time l talked to Ted–
我的前夫讨论 他都不听
To my ex-husband about it, he wouldn’t listen.
他拒绝认真和我讨论
He refused to discuss it in any serious way.
他曾说我就算找到工作
He said that l probably couldn’t get a job…
薪水可能也不够付保姆费
…that would pay enough to hire a babysitter.
请告诉我 你现在有工作吗
Tell me, are you employed at the present time?
有 我现在是纽约一家 运动服装的设计师
l’m a sportswear designer here in New York.
你现在的薪水是多少
And what is your present salary?
年薪三万一千元
l make $31 ,000 a year.
克莱默太太 你爱你的孩子吗
Mrs. Kramer, do you love your child?
我非常爱他
Yes, l do, very much.
但你却选择离开他
And yet you chose to leave him.
是的
Yes.
在过去的5年婚姻中
During the last five years of our marriage…
我越来越不快乐
…l was becoming more and more unhappy.
越来越困惑
More and more troubled.
我很需要有人帮我
And l really needed somebody to help me…
但当我向泰德求助 他
…but when l turned to Ted, he just…
他不帮我
…wasn’t there for me.
所以我们越来越
So we became more isolated from one another…
疏离与孤独
…more and more separate.
他对事业非常投入
He was very involved in his career.
由于他对我的恐惧不关心
And because of his attitude towards my fears…
对我的感受也无力面对
…and his inability to deal with my feelings…
我几乎没有任何自信
…l had come to have almost no self-esteem.
我很害怕 很不快乐
l was scared and l was very unhappy.
在我心里 除了离开别无选择
ln my mind l had no choice but to leave.
当我离开的时候 我觉得自己很糟糕
At the time l left, l felt that there was something wrong with me…
所以孩子没有我比较好
…and that my son would be better off without me.
后来我到加州去 经过心理治疗后
And it was only after l got to California that l realized…
才发现自己没那么糟糕
…after getting into therapy, that l wasn’t a terrible person.
除了孩子以外 我还需要 创作上或情绪上的纾解
And just because l needed some kind of creative or emotional outlet…
但这并不表示 我是不称职的母亲
…other than my child, that didn’t make me unfit.
我要呈上一份证物 是克莱默太太的心理治疗师
l would like to submit in evidence a report by Mrs. Kramer’s therapist…
费德曼医师的报告
…Dr. Eleanor Freedman.
反对
Objection, Your Honour.
这份报告与本案无关 而且对被告没有法律约束力
The report is irrelevant and not binding on the respondent.
反对无效
Overruled.
克莱默太太 请告诉庭上 为何你要申请监护权
Can you tell the court why you are asking for custody?
因为他是我的小孩
Because he’s my child…
而且我爱他
…and because l love him.
我知道我离开了我儿子
l know l left my son.
我知道这么做很糟糕
l know that that’s a terrible thing to do.
相信我 我这一辈子都会因此自责
Believe me, l have to live with that every day of my life.
但为了离开他
But in order to leave him…
我必须相信自己 当时别无选择
…l had to believe it was the only thing l could do…
那样做对他最好
…and that it was the best thing for him.
我在那个家不能运作
l was incapable of functioning in that home.
我不知道
And l didn’t know…
有什么其他办法
…what the alternative was…
所以我想最好不要带他走
…so l thought it was not best that l take him with me.
但后来我得到一些帮助
However, l have since gotten some help…
而且我非常努力 成为一个健全的人
…and l have worked very, very hard to become a whole human being.
我不应该因此受到惩罚
l don’t think l should be punished for that.
我不认为 我的小孩应该受惩罚
l don’t think my little boy should be punished.
比利现在才七岁
Billy’s only 7 years old.
他需要我
He needs me.
我不是说他不需要他父亲
l’m not saying he doesn’t need his father…
但我真的相信他更需要我
…but l really believe he needs me more.
我当了他5年半的妈咪
l was his mommy for five and a half years…
而泰德父代母职18个月
…and Ted took over that role for 1 8 months.
我不懂谁会认为
But l don’t know how anybody can possibly believe…
克莱默先生
…that l have less of a stake in mothering that little boy…
比我更适合当这孩子的母亲
…than Mr. Kramer does.
我是他的母亲
l’m his mother.
我是他的母亲
l’m his mother.
谢谢 克莱默太太
Thank you, Mrs. Kramer.
我没有问题了
l have no further questions.
克莱默太太
Now then, Mrs. Kramer…
你说你结婚8年 对吗
…you say that you were married for eight years, is that correct?
在那段时间你先生有没有打你 或用其他方式凌虐你
ln all that time did your husband ever strike you or physically abuse you?
没有
No.
那他有没有 打你的孩子或凌虐他
Did he ever strike or physically abuse his child in any way?
你的先生是个酗酒者吗
Would you describe your husband as an alcoholic?
他常常喝酒吗
A heavy drinker?
他对你不忠吗
Was he unfaithful?
那他是曾让你生活有所匮乏
Did he ever fail to provide for you in any way?
那我可知道你为何离开他了
l can certainly see why you left him.
反对
Objection.
你打算在纽约住多久
How long do you plan to live in New York, Mrs. Kramer?
一辈子
Permanently.
你这辈子交过多少男朋友
How many boyfriends have you had, permanently?
反对问题不明确
Objection on grounds of vagueness.