I guess.
哈兰雇她待在身边
Harlan hired her to be around to take care
以应对各种医疗需求
of whatever medical needs popped up.
但说实话 她就像我们家的一员
But really, she’s like part of the family.
她是个好女孩
Good kid.
也成了哈兰的好友
Been a good friend to Harlan.
家里是从巴拉圭来的
Family’s from Paraguay.
琳达非常赞赏她的职业操守
Linda really likes her work ethic.
“我们移♥民♥ 干活很靠谱”
“Immigrants. We get the job done.”
-我… -音乐剧《汉密尔顿》里的
– I… – From Hamilton.
《汉密尔顿》啊
Oh, Hamilton.
太棒了 真棒
It’s so good. It’s so good.
我在纽约公共剧院看的
I saw it at The Public.
我能不能…
May I just, um…
我马上就消失 但在此之前
Then I’ll recede, but…
我自己也是白手起家
As a self-made man myself,
我必须表达我的钦佩之情
I have to express my admiration
你如此稳扎稳打地追随你父亲的脚步
for how you followed in your father’s footsteps.
-谢谢 -太棒了
– Thank you. – Just marvelous.
你们整个家族都是
You know, the whole family, too.
琼妮有她的事业
And Joni with her thing,
沃尔特有他的出版帝国
and Walt with his publishing empire…
真是…
It’s…
这个嘛
Well…
当然 沃尔特做得很好
Yes, I mean, Walt, he’s done well
毕竟有爸爸给他的资源
with what dad gave him.
当然这不重要
Not that it matters.
但说真的 爸爸每年给他两本书
But really, dad hands him a book twice a year
而沃尔特就拿去出版
and Walt publishes it.
我跟他可不太一样
It’s just not the same.
但沃尔特肯定还经营周边产品 改编权
But surely Walt runs the merchandising, adaptations,
影视化版权…
film and television rights, I mean…
你是在套我的话吗 侦探
Are you baiting me, Detective?
你明知道他根本没做那些
You know he doesn’t.
如果你觉得我蠢到
And if you think I am dumb enough
能被人套出关于家族生意的话
to be baited into talking family business,
或者我弟弟的坏话
into shit-talking my baby brother,
而且是在一个警探
in front of a police detective,
和一个警员面前…
and a state trooper…
沃尔特什么都不经营
Walt doesn’t run shit.
因为根本就没有什么影视化版权
Because there are no TV and film rights.
哈兰从不允许对他的书进行任何改编
Harlan never allowed any adaptations of his books.
他不喜欢这想法
Hated the idea.
不会吧
No.
真的
Yeah!
让沃尔特很抓狂
Drives Walt nuts.
因为那才是真正赚钱的部分
‘Cause that’s where the real money is.
每当沃尔特借酒壮胆
When Walt would get a little Irish courage in him,
他就会去纠缠哈兰
he’d get into it with Harlan.
他在派对上有”纠缠”吗
Did he “get into it” at the party?
我的天
Oh, my God!
拜托 爸
Come on, Dad!
他根本不肯让他清闲 可怜的家伙
Wouldn’t leave him alone, the poor guy.
网飞那些人 他们的商务代表…
The Netflix guys, their business affair guy…
哈兰最终不得不炒了他
Harlan finally had to give him the hook.
我没听到他具体说了什么
I didn’t hear what he said,
但他肯定是把他踢出局了
but he must’ve really handed him his lunch.
因为沃尔特后面整晚都像只受伤的小狗一样
‘Cause Walt was like a wounded puppy the rest of the night.
什么 理查德说了什么
What? Richard said what?
不 天啊 我们没有”纠缠”
No. Jesus. We did not get “into it.”
我只是想有个准确的画面
I’m just trying to get an accurate impression.
哈兰在派对上把你叫到了一旁
Harlan took you aside at the party.
你回来后懊悔至极
When you returned, you were chastened.
哈兰到底对你说了什么
What did Harlan say to you?
网飞那些人 他们的商务代表
The Netflix guys, their business affair guy.
他送了点东西过来 这次的开价不错
He sent something over. It’s hard numbers this time,
我觉得过了这个村
and I just think this is a window
就没这个店了
that’s not gonna stay open.
我们要牢牢抓住
We need to take advantage of it
你只要看看价钱就好
and then you just need to look at the numbers!
-是 沃尔特… -爸 爸
– Yeah, Walt, look… – Dad! Dad!
是你让我负责我们的书
You… You put me in charge of our books.
就让我做主 让我做这个吧 求你了
Let me be in charge! Let me do this! Please!
儿子 那不是我们的书
They’re not our books, son.
是我的书
They’re my books.
我也不希望我们谈着谈着就吵起来
And this is not how I wanted to have this conversation.
但是你说得对 很对
But you’re right, you’re right.
我栓着你做不该你管的事情
It’s unfair of me to keep you tethered
是不公平的
to something that isn’t yours to control.
什么
What?
对 我严重地伤害了你
No, I’ve done you a grave disservice.
这么多年来
All these years,
我一直阻碍了你
I’ve kept you from building something
建立属于自己的事业
of your own that was yours.
但是你很快就不再负责
But you’re not going to be running
出版社的业务了
the publishing house anymore.
你自♥由♥了
You’re free of it.
爸 你是把我给炒了吗
Dad, are you firing me?
不
No…
我们明天再谈细节
We’ll talk details tomorrow.
我心意已决
My mind’s made up.
好孩子
Good boy.
我们谈了谈 关于电子书业务
We talked. We had a business discussion about e-books.
天啊 没什么
Jesus. It was nothing.
你要是说吵架的话
You want to talk about an argument,
兰森跟他吵了一架
hell, Ransom had an argument with him.
兰森 就是
Ransom, that’s, uh,
理查德和琳达的儿子
Richard and Linda’s son?
我们都爱兰森 他是个好孩子 我们爱他
Look, we all love Ransom, he’s a good kid. We love him.
但是
But?
但他一直都是家里的害群之马
But he’s always been the black sheep of the family.
我不是想…
And I’m not trying to…
通常而言 家丑不可外扬
I like to keep stuff like this in the family.
但是兰森 他从来不工作
But with Ransom, he’s never had a job.
而我爸 不知道为什么
And Dad, for some unknown reason,
还一直养着他
always supported him.
他们之间爱恨交加 总吵架
They have this love-hate bond. They fight.
但是那天晚上 天啊 吵翻天了
But that night, God, they had a blowout.
因为什么
About what?
你是不是疯了
Are you goddamn insane?
猜不出来是什么 但是很激烈
Couldn’t make it out really, but it was huge.
奇怪的是 他们是去另外一个房♥间吵的
And it’s strange they went into another room to do it.
通常他们就喜欢当着全家人的面
Usually they like to stoke up drama
针锋相对
in front of the whole family.
说到”纠缠”
Speaking of getting into it…
你提前抵达了 帮忙准备派对 你…
You were at the house early, to help the caterers set up. Did…
你当时跟哈兰有过谈话吗
Did you converse with Harlan at that time?
他在场 我们肯定说过话
Well, he was there. We must have spoke.
在他的书房♥里呢
In his study?
没有
I don’t think so.
我今天早晨问过承办人
You see, I spoke with the caterer this morning,
她没看见你帮她的员工
she didn’t see you helping her staff.
倒是听到哈兰那天下午
She did hear Harlan in a screaming match
跟人在书房♥里吵了一架
with somebody that afternoon in his study.
是的 我不…
Yeah, I don’t…
吵了一架
Screaming match?
不
No.
但是琼妮也在
But Joni was here, too.
她来得早 可能是跟她
She was early, so it might have been her.
你们可以问问她
You can maybe ask her.
是两个男人的声音