traveling in the opposite direction.
就在他们擦肩而过时
As the monk and the priest Crossed paths
白眉
Pai Mei
白眉几乎是高深莫测的
in a practically unfathomable display of generosity
向他友善的点了点头
gave the monk the slightest of nods.
这点头礼
The nod
却没得到回应
was not returned.
到底是和尚是有意羞辱白眉
Now, was it the intention of the Shaolin monk to insult Pai Mei?
还是他没注意到对方的社交礼仪
Or did he just fail to see the generous social gesture?
和尚真正的意思无从得知
The motives of the monk remain unknown.
唯一知道的是
What is known
后果
were the consequences.
第二天早上白眉来到了少林寺
The next morning Pai Mei appeared at the Shaolin temple
要求掌门方丈
and demanded
自刎谢罪
of the temple’s head abbot that he offer Pai Mei his neck to repay the insult.
起先方丈想和安抚他
The abbot, at first, tried to console Pai Mei
却发现白眉
only to find Pai Mei was
难消怒气
inconsolable.
接下来
So began
白莲教就血洗少林
the Massacre of the Shaolin Temple and
全寺60僧众无一幸免
all 60 of the monks inside at the fists of the White Lotus.
然后传说从此开始
And so began the legend of Pai Mei’s
白眉的五指穿心掌
Five-Point-Palm Exploding-Heart Technique.
-五指穿心掌到底是啥? -非常简单
-Exploding-Heart Technique? -Quite simply
武学中最致命的一招
the deadliest blow in all of martial arts.
他以五指击你
He hits you with his fingertips
五指不等的内力击在你身上
at five different pressure points on your body
然后让你自己逃走
and then lets you walk away.
但是你在五步之内
But once you’ve taken five steps
穿心
your heart explodes inside your body
倒地而死
and you fall to the floor, dead.
-他把这招传给你了吗 -没有
-Did he teach you that? -He teaches no one
他的五指穿心掌从不传人
the Five-Point-Palm Exploding-Heart Technique .
说到这儿
Now
我最喜欢你的一点就是
one of the things I’ve always liked about you,
小乖
Kiddo
你看起来比实际的年龄更聪明
is you appear wise beyond your years.
让我给你这聪明人一点忠告:
So allow me to impart a word to the wise.
无论如何
Whatever
不管白眉说什么 你都得服从
Whatever Pai Mei says. obey.
即使你短暂地露出些许不敬的眼神
If you flash him, even for
他立刻把你眼珠子挖出来
an instant defiant eye he’ll pluck it out.
如果你的美式骄傲触怒了他
And if you throw any American sass his way
他劈断你的脖子象劈小树枝那么容易
he’ll snap your back and your neck like they were twigs.
那你就成为一个故事了
And that will be the story of you.
他答应收你为徒了
He’ll accept you as his student.
-你怎么啦? -没事儿
-What happened to you? -Nothing.
-和他动手了? -朋友间过个招罢了
-Get in a fight? -Friendly contest.
他怎么会答应收我的?
Why did he accept me?
因为他已经很老很老了
Because he’s a very, very very old man.
和其他老不死的王八蛋一样
And like all rotten bastards
他愈老就愈寂寞
when they become old they get lonely.
年纪改不了他的脾气
Which has no effect on their dispositions
但也让他学到了 有个伴儿的重要
but it does teach them the value of company.
光是瞧这些台阶 我腿就软了
Just seeing those steps again makes me ache.
以后你挑着水桶上上下下的
You’ll have lots of fun carrying buckets
可有你乐的啦
of water up and down that fucker.
我何时能再见到你?
When will I see you again?
就像我最喜欢的70年代 一首黑人灵歌♥的歌♥名
That’s the title of my favorite Soul song of the ’70s.
-啥? -没什么
-What? -Nothing.
等他说你可以出师时
When he tells me you’re done.
你想会是何时?
When do you think that might be?
亲爱的 那全看你自己了
That, my dearest, depends entirely on you.
记住 切勿讥讽 切勿顶撞
Now remember, no sarcasm, no backtalk.
起码头一两年里
At least not for the first year or so.
你得给他时间来 慢慢让你进入状况
You’re going to have to let him warm up to you.
他讨厌白人 藐视美国人
He hates Caucasians, despises Americans
更不喜欢女人
and has nothing but contempt For women.
所以像你这种情形 得多花点儿时间了
So in your case, it might take a little while.
再见啦
Bye.
师♥父♥
Master
你的汉语好差 我一个字也听不懂
Your Mandarin is lousy.
我一个字也听不懂 而且好刺耳
It causes my ears discomfort.You bray like an ass!
我没要你说话 你就别说
You are not to speak unless spoken to.
你的汉语好呢 还是你的广东话好?
Is it too much to hope you understand Cantonese?
我的日语很好
I speak Japanese very well
我没问你日本话 也没问你蒙古话
I didn’t ask if you speak Japanese
我问你会不会说广东话?
I asked if you understand Cantonese?
一点点
A little.
你是来学武的 不是学讲话
You are here to learn the mysteries of Kung fu not linguistics.
如果你不懂汉语
If you don’t get me,
就像狗一样
I’ll communicate with you like I would a dog
我会斥喝你 命令你 用棍打你
When I yell, when I point, when I beat you with my stick.
你的师♥父♥是不是比尔?
Bill is your master, is he not?
是的
Yes, he is.
你师♥傅♥说过你曾经学过武术
Your master tells me, you’re not entirely unschooled.
你学过些什么?
What training do you possess?
我精通虎鹤拳
I am proficient in Tiger-Crane Style.
更精通日本武士道剑术
And I am more than proficient in the exquisite art of the Samurai sword.
日本剑道 开什么玩笑
The exquisite art of the Samurai sword. Don’t make me laugh!
你所谓的剑道不值个屁 你就更加笨
Your so-called exquisite art,is only fit for Japanese fat heads!
你居然敢正视我
Your anger amuses me.
你觉得本道的功夫跟你比如何?
Do you believe you are my match?
不知
No.
你知道本道会杀人吗?
Are you aware I kill at will?
知道
Yes.
那么你是想死啰?
Is it your wish to die?
不
No.
傻瓜
Then you must be stupid
真是傻瓜
Then you must be stupid so stupid.
本道好想看看你有多傻
Rise, and let me look at your ridiculous face.
起身
Rise.
亏你还学过虎鹤拳
So my pathetic friend,
刚才走了一百来台阶就在喘了
Is there anything that you can do well?
我看你不单是傻
What’s the matter?
身体也很虚啊
Cat got your tongue?
对了 你会说日本话
Oh yes, you speak Japanese.
我最恨日本人
I despise the Goddamn Japs!
去兵器架那边
Go to that rack.
拔那把剑
Remove the sword.
我要看下你的武功有多深
Let’s see how good you really are.
出招
如果我输给你的话
If you land a single blow
我♥干♥脆拜你为师
I’ll bow down and call you master.
你看到我的功夫了吧 试我的脚法
From here you can get an excellent view of my foot.
你的剑术只是一般入门的水平
Your swordsmanship is amateur at best.
残废也比你强
Your so-called kung-fu is really quite pathetic.
再来啊!
废物
我已经给你机会显示一下你的武功 我看到了
I asked you to demonstrate what you Know and you did
你一点都不会
Not a goddamn thing!
现在我要你以虎鹤拳 和我的鹰爪拳比试一下
Let’s see your Tiger Crane match my Eagle’s Claw.
你和其他美国女人一样
Like all Yankee women
只知道在餐馆点菜 花男人的钱
all you can do is order in restaurants and spend a man’s money.
痛吗? 我问你呢?
Excruciating, isn’t it?
痛!
Yes!
你相不相信我
If it was my wish
随时能砍下你的手臂
I could chop your arm off.
不要!
No, please don’t!
你相不相信我想怎样就怎样
It’s my arm now. I can do what I please.
如果你不想我砍你的手动手
If you can stop me I suggest you try.
我不行
I can’t.