爱德华…
Edward…
你一开始是怎么想到原子燃料的?
how did you first think of atomic fuel?
哦,就好像是灵光一现
Well, it just sort of hit me.
是凯斯勒式的一闪还是个偶然?
Was it a Kessler boom or an accident?
因为凯斯勒认为偶然的发现根本不是偶然
Because Kessler believes that accidental discoveries are not accidents at all.
人们会有顿悟和直觉的时刻
That people have moments of insight and intuition
他们已准备好靠他们的经验来认识自己的本来面目
that they’re prepared for by their experience to recognize them for what they are.
唠叨
Babbling.
唠叨?
Babbling?
不,你没有唠叨
No, you’re not babbling.
要是我有你这样的头脑,我不会停止说话
If I had a mind like yours, I wouldn’t stop talking.
我觉得雨在减弱
I think it’s letting up.
我觉得她想离开
I think she wants to leave.
她不知道她想要什么
She doesn’t know what she wants.
还在下雨
Still raining.
还在下雨
Still raining.
我想你舅舅想要我们…跳舞
I think your uncle wants us… to dance.
哦,好啦
Oh, now,
不要跑题了,艾德
don’t be irrelevant, Ed.
你不能从那里走到这里
You can’t get from there to here.
为什么?
Why not?
好了,可别告诉我…
Now, don’t tell me that…
你这样一个著名的出色科学家
…a famous and brilliant scientist such as yourself
会不知道芝诺佯谬
doesn’t know about Zeno’s paradox.
提醒我一下
Remind me.
你不能从那边走到这边
You can’t get from there to here
因为你总是要覆盖剩下的一半距离
because you always have to cover half the remaining distance.
比如从我到你,我得走一半路
Like, from me to you, I have to cover half of it.
可是,看?我还有一半路要走,所以…
But, see? I still have half of that remaining, so…
我走一半的路,然后…
I cover half that and, um…
那就还有一半的路剩下
there’s still half of that left
所以我又走一半的路
so I cover half of that
然后,呃…一半的路
and, uh… half of that
再一半,再一半
and half of that and half of that.
由于有无穷无尽的一半路剩下…
And since there are infinite halves left…
永远也不能到达
can’t ever get there.
所以这是怎么发生的?
So how did that happen?
我不知道
I don’t know.
这不可能
It’s not possible.
詹姆斯
James.
不,是艾德
No. Ed.
詹姆斯,我应该去跟他会合的
James. I was supposed to meet him.
走,走,走,走
Go, go, go, go, go, go, go.
我们要不要再来?
Shall we go again?
所以我们有粒子“C”凯瑟琳
So we have particle “C”– Catherine–
在粒子“J”詹姆斯的轨道上
in orbit around particle “J”– James–
激发粒子“E”爱德华
powerize particle “E”– Edward–
跟着“C”,变成一个新的实体
follows “C”, becomes a new entity.
“C”加“E”
“C” plus “E”
这就导致“J”的衰变
which causes “J” to disintegrate.
♪ 如果我能带你上到天堂
♪ If I could take you up in paradise above ♪
♪ 如果你会告诉我我是你唯一的爱
♪ If you would tell me I’m the only one that you love ♪
♪ 生命将会是一个美梦,亲爱的
♪ Life could be a dream, sweetheart. ♪
“爱德华·沃尔特斯,一位本地机修工
“Edward Walters, a local garage mechanic
“以及业余物理学家
“and amateur physicist
“扔下了一颗重磅炸♥弹♥在国际物理学研讨会上
“dropped a bombshell on the international physics symposium
“公布一个方程式,使得…
“with the announcement of a formula that makes
苏联夸耀太空成就 未知天才点亮原子热
“用喝而何子火箭…
“interplanetary travel
“…进行星际旅行成为切实可能”
“by nu-cu-lear rocket a real possibility.”
核子
Nuclear.
我就说喝而何子,教授
I said nu-cu-lear, professor.
核子
Nuclear.
照片不错
Good picture.
这一定得是…
This has got to be
有史以来有谁为讨好女人而做过最愚蠢的事情
the dumbest thing anybody ever did to impress a dame.
对,特别是你还指望跟她说话
Yeah. Especially one that expects you to talk to her–
她很聪明的
she’s smart.
闭嘴,弗兰基
Shut up, Frankie.
艾迪
Eddie
你几乎都没读完高中
you hardly finished high school.
你怎么能指望蒙混过关?
How do you expect to get away with this?
我懂好多科学的事情
I know a lot about science.
打扰了
Excuse me.
艾德·沃尔特斯?
Ed Walters?
你是哪根葱?
Who the hell are you?
比尔·莱利,泰♥晤♥士♥报♥
Bill Reilly, Times.
是吗?
Yeah?
鲍勃·罗塞蒂
Bob Rosetti.
这地方是我的
I own the place.
哦,嗨,罗塞蒂先生
Oh, hey, Mr. Rosetti.
那么你是否惊讶发现有这么一位…
So were you surprised to find out you had such a
…优秀的员工?
…brilliant employee?
惊讶?你以为我为何雇佣他?他是个天才
Surprised? Why do you think I hired him? He’s a genius.
喂,艾德,很多老百姓都想知道…
Hey, Ed, a lot of folks are wondering
像你这样的普通人怎么能有这么先进的想法?
how an ordinary guy like yourself could come up with such advanced ideas.
我想这个我能回答
I think I can answer that.
哈罗,爱德华
Hello, Edward.
恭喜
Congratulations.
谢谢你
Thank you.
你看,事实上我们现在才开始理解…
You see, the fact is that we’re only now just beginning to understand
智能的真正本质
the true nature of intelligence.
那么你是?
And you are?
詹姆斯·莫兰德
James Morland.
是…?
With the, uh…?
塞拉斯·潘恩学院
Silas Paine Institute.
实验心理学
Experimental psychology.
我们学到的是,我们称之为天才的那种东西
We’re learning that, uh, that thing that we call genius
那是一种可以做出直觉突破的能力
that is the ability to make intuitive breakthroughs
几乎可以在任何地方发展出来
can flower almost anywhere.
难道不是这样的吗,爱德华?
Isn’t that so, Edward?
你是专家
You’re the expert.
是的,我就是
Yes. Yes, I am.
这就是我来这里的真实原因
That’s really why I’m here.
哦,当然除了来拿我的车以外
Oh, apart from to pick up my car, of course,
我相信现在已经修好了吧
which I trust is ready by now.
我们打算研究你
We’d like to study you.
研究我?
Study me?
你的大脑,你的思考过程
Your brain. Your thinking processes.
这是一个绝佳的机会来增进我们对人类知识的理解
It’s an extraordinary opportunity to increase our understanding of human knowledge.
你怎么说?
What do you say?
我们能指望你吗?
Can we count on you?
同行对同行
One, uh, colleague to another.
你们很多人可能认得这个测试
Many of you may recognize this test.
这是经典的心理健康和发育考试的变体
It’s a variation on the classic P.C.& D. examination.
沃尔特斯先生将有十分钟的时间来完成这个系列
Mr. Walters will have ten minutes to complete the series.
你会在这个盒子里找到第一个问题
You will find the first problem inside this box.
你准备好了吗,艾德?
Are you ready, Ed?
– 其实… – 开始计时吧,请
– Actually… – Start the clock, please.
是啊,呃…
Yes, uh…
是的,相当…
Yes, quite, uh…
相当让人佩服
Quite impressive.
现在我们进入第二阶段
Uh, now we move on to phase two.
第二阶段?
Phase two?
对,我们,已经测试了实验对象的动作能力
Yes, we’ve, uh, tested the subject’s motor ability.
现在是时候测试他的常识了
Now it’s time to test his general knowledge–
这个方面,我必须招认…
something which, I must confess
我一直相当好奇…为此目的
I’ve been quite curious about–and to that end
我设计了一系列的多项选择题
I have devised a series of multiple choice questions–
一共50道题
50 in all–
有相对论、牛顿物理学、物理化学、当然还有…

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!