on relativity, Newtonian physics, physical chemistry and of course
一些基本的量子力学
some basic quantum mechanics.
实验对象有18分钟的时间来完成这个系列
The subject has 18 minutes in which to complete the series.
呃,请关灯
Uh, lights, please.
你要不要坐下?
Would you like to sit down?
投影机
And, uh, projector.
开始计时
Start the clock.
– 借过 – 借过
– Excuse me. – Excuse me.
借过
Excuse me.
借过
Excuse me.
我做完了
I’m done.
就这些?
That it?
在今天的一场集中智商测试中
In an intensive IQ Test today,
年轻的汽车机修工艾德·沃尔特斯得到186分
young auto mechanic Ed Walters
将自己跻身于百分之零点零零零零…
placing him in the top point-zero-zero-zero…
他通过了吗?
Did he pass?
那是我们的艾迪
That’s our Eddie!
来啊,提提我们的修理厂
Come on, mention the garage.
来啊,鲍勃&艾尔…
Come on… Bob and Al’s…
鲍勃&艾尔
Bob and Al’s…
派拉蒙新闻
在白宫,艾森豪威尔总统
At the White House, President Eisenhower
嘲笑了苏联宣称在太空竞赛中跃居领先地位
scoffed at the Soviet claims to have leapt ahead in the race to space.
他摒弃了那条红色流言
He dismissed the red rumors,
说太空第一人将会吃热狗做午餐
saying that the first man in space will have hot dogs for lunch…
而不是甜菜汤
not borscht.
而那个能把我们送上去的人名叫什么?
And the name of the man who could put us there?
艾德·沃尔特斯
Ed Walters.
我以前看错他了
I was wrong about him.
他根本不是一个天才白♥痴♥
He’s not an idiot savant at all.
他是货真价实的
He’s the real thing–
他是白♥痴♥中的白♥痴♥
he’s an idiot idiot.
油污小子是个天才
The boy grease-pit genius.
就像他的导师阿尔伯特·爱因斯坦
And like his mentor, Albert Einstein,
年轻的艾德·沃尔特斯梦想解决宇宙的奥秘
young Ed Walters dreamed of solving the mysteries of the universe.
要是你去掉明星崇拜,你自己就会看得出来
If you’d get the stars out of your eyes you’d see for yourself.
詹姆斯
James!
我们都将乘坐核子火箭引擎去月球度假
Before long, we’ll all be going to the Moon for the weekend on nuclear rocket engines
还外带省了我们的燃油费
and save on our fuel bills in the bargain.
你实际读过他那篇惊天动地的论文吗?
Have you actually read this stupendous, earth-shattering paper of his?
没有
No.
你没有吗?
You didn’t?
我很惊讶,还以为你会拼死拼活把它拿在手里看呢
I’m surprised. I thought you’d be dying to get your hands on it.
你知道,作为一名数学家同行
You know, as a fellow mathematician.
各地的数学家和物理学家们
Mathematicians and physicists everywhere
正将这一超凡的新理论放在显微镜之下
are putting this startling new theory under the microscope…
是我
It’s me.
仔细检查这个简单的汽车机修工的数学光辉
…to examine in detail the mathematical brilliance of this simple garage mechanic
他相信,在自♥由♥的土地上…
who believes, in the land of the free
以及勇者的国度里,没有什么不可能的事
and the home of the brave, nothing is impossible.
再按一次喇叭,爱德华
Do the horn again, Edward.
对对 [德语]
Ja, ja.
[ “第13号♥小夜曲”]
阿尔伯特,我们有自己的敞篷车了
Albert, we have our convertible.
好啊好啊
Good, good.
这就像是出海,还不会打湿
This is like sailing, without the wetness.
这是你的杰作,爱德华
Wonderful thing you have made here, Edward.
你怎么不笑呢?
Why aren’t you smiling?
我想我得告诉凯瑟琳实话
I think I’ve got to tell Catherine the truth.
不不,这太早了
No, no, it’s too soon.
她爱错了人,博士
She’s falling in love with the wrong guy, doc.
对,但那是爱
Ja, but it’s love.
爱德华,那是爱
Edward, it’s love.
凯瑟琳?
Catherine?
不,谢谢了
No, thank you.
艾德
Ed.
我正要问你
I was going to ask you
这里你为何要用这个运算符?
why you use that operator there?
我总是问自己同样的问题
I often ask myself the same question.

Yeah.
简直是灵光闪现
It’s just a stroke of brilliance.
好像,我就差一点可以把它算明白了
Like, I’m just so close to figuring it out.
前方有麻烦
Trouble ahead.
也许,也许不是
Maybe, maybe not.
要是她发现我们理论中的缺陷呢?
What if she finds the flaw in our theory?
放心,我们削弱她的信心就好了
Easy. We just undermine her confidence.
哦,我们不应该那么做
Well, we shouldn’t do that.
怎么?
How?
那样我们就会既说不清又反应迟钝
We’ll be obscure and obtuse.
也许你把有些事看得理所当然了
Maybe you’re taking something for granted.
要是你质疑一切会怎样呢?
What if you question everything?
看看它
Look at it
从一个完全不同的角度
from an entirely different perspective.
质疑一切
Question everything.
阿尔伯特舅舅…
Uncle Albert…
这个可能是对的吗?
could this be right?
怎么啦?
What?
我知道这种表情,我做错什么了?
I know that look. What did I do?
我从没用这种方式检视过它
I never saw it this way.
我不知道我刚才在想什么
I don’t know what I was thinking.
失陪
Excuse me.
你对她说什么了?
What did you say to her?
你为什么要让他们把你吓成这样?
Why do you let them scare you off like that?
他们是世界上最厉害的头脑
They are the greatest minds in the world.
又怎样?谁说他们无所不知?
So? Who says they have all the answers?
等等,谁说什么话了?
Wait. Who says what?
谁说你不是世界上最厉害的头脑之一?
Who says you’re not one of the greatest minds in the world?
哦,我可不像你
Well, I’m not like you.
你是天生的
You’re a natural.
你…你就像是他们中的一员
You’re just like one of them.
– 不,我不是 – 是的,你是
– No, I’m not. – Yes, you are.
– 不,我不是 – 是的,你是
– No, I’m not. – Yes, you are.
相信我,我不是
Believe me, I’m not.
哦,对…你更年轻
Oh! Well, okay– you’re younger.
重点在于
The point is,
你不只是什么傻傻的汽车机修工
you’re not just some dumb garage mechanic.
你是个天才,而我只是…
You’re a genius, and I’m just…
我不知道我是什么
I don’t know what I am.
什么?你是什么?
What? What are you?
一个家庭主妇?
A housewife?
几乎是吧
Almost.
我认为你不止如此
I think you’re more than that.
[ 模仿白兰度 ]:女士,你唯一害怕的就是你自己
[ imitating Brando]: Lady, the only thing you’re afraid of is yourself.
等等,我能不能问你一件事?
Wait. Can I just ask you something?
什么?
What?
是什么,呃…
What, um…
你为什么那么做?
Why do you do that?
什么?
What?
白兰度
Brando.
我只是想逗你笑
I’m just trying to make you smile.
那么…
Well…
谢谢
Thanks.
再见
Bye.
这样最好
It’s for the best.
我们稍微挤压一下大脑,给心灵腾出空间
We squeeze the brain a little to make room for the heart.
又或许偶然是大设计的一部分?
Or maybe accidents are part of the grand design?
如果你导致了偶然,那它就不是偶然了
If you cause the accident then it is not an accident.
啊,对对
Ah, ja, ja.
你知道,偶然的问题在于你不能预测其结果
You know, the trouble with accidents is you can’t predict the outcome.
啊,所以说也许凯瑟琳会爱上我们中的一个
Ah! So-So maybe Catherine will fall in love with one of us.
你真是个梦想家,李卜克内西
You are such a dreamer, Liebitzrecht.
哦,哦,真抱歉,你在睡觉吗?

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!