两位钦使已经喜气洋洋地回来了
are joyfully return’d.
你总是带着好消息来报告我们
Thou still hast been the father of good news.
真的吗 陛下 不瞒陛下说
Have I, my lord? Assure you, my goodliege,
我把我对于我的上帝和我的宽仁厚德的王上的责任
I hold my duty, as I hold my soul,
看得跟我的灵魂一样重呢
both to my God and to my gracious king.
此外
And I do think…
除非我的脑筋在观察问题上不如过去那样有把握了
or else this brain of mine hunts not the trail of policy
不然我肯定相信
so sure as it hath us’d to do,
我已经发现了哈姆莱特发疯的原因
that I have found the very cause of Hamlet’s lunacy.
啊 你说吧 我急着要听呢
O, speak of that! That do I long to hear.
请陛下先接见了钦使
Give first admittance to the ambassadors.
我的消息留着做盛筵以后的佳果美点吧
My news shall be the fruit to that great feast.
那么有劳你去迎接他们进来
But thyself do grace to them, and bring them in.
我的亲爱的乔特鲁德
He tells me, my dear Gertrude, he hath found
他对我说他已经发现了你的儿子心神不定的原因
the head and source of all your son’s distemper.
我想主要的原因
I doubt it is no other but the main,
还是他父亲的死和我们过于迅速的结婚
his father’s death and our o’erhasty marriage.
好 等我们仔细问问
Well, we shall sift him.
欢迎 我的好朋友们
Welcome, my good friends!
伏提曼德 我们的挪威王兄怎么说
Say, Voltimand, what from our brother Norway?
他叫我们向陛下转达他的友好的问候
Most fair return of greetings and desires.
他听到了我们的要求 就立刻传谕他的侄儿停止征兵
Upon our first, he sent out to suppress his nephew’s levies,
本来他以为这种举动是准备对付波兰人的
which to him appear’d to be apreparation ‘gainst the Polack,
可是一经调查 才知道它的对象原来是陛下
but, better look’d into, he truly found it was against your highness,
他知道此事以后 痛心自己因为年老多病 受人欺罔
whereat griev’d, that so his sickness, age, and impotence
震怒之下 传令把福丁布拉斯逮捕
was falsely borne in hand, sends out arrests on Fortinbras,
福丁布拉斯并未反抗 受到了挪威王一番申斥
which he, in brief, obeys, receives rebuke from Norway
最后就在他的叔父面前立誓决不兴兵侵犯陛下
and, in fine, makes vow before his uncle
最后就在他的叔父面前立誓决不兴兵侵犯陛下
never more to give th’ as say of arms against your majesty.
老王看见他诚心悔过 非常欢喜
whereon old Norway, overcome with joy,
当下就给他三千克朗的年俸
gives him three thous and crowns in annual fee,
并且委任他统率他所征募的那些兵士
and his commission to employ those soldiers, so levied as before,
去向波兰人征伐 同时他叫我把这封信呈上陛下
against the Polack with an entreaty, herein further shown,
请求陛下允许他的军队借道通过陛下的领土
that it might please you to give quiet pass through your dominions
他已经在信里提出若干条件 保证决不扰乱地方的安宁
for this enterprise, on such regards of safety and all owance
-保证决不扰乱地方的安宁 -这样很好
– as therein are set down. – It likes us well,
等我们有空的时候
and at our more consider’d time we’ll read, answer,
还要仔细考虑一下 然后答复
and think upon this business.
你们远道跋涉 不辱使命 很是劳苦了
Meantime we thank you for your well-took labour go to your rest.
先去休息 今晚我们还要在一起欢宴 欢迎你们回来
At night we’ll feast together most welcome home!
这件事情总算圆♥满♥结束了
This business is well ended.
王上 娘娘
My liege, and madam,
要是我向你们长篇大论地解释君上的尊严
to expostulate what majesty should be,
臣下的名分 白昼何以为白昼 黑夜何以为黑夜
what duty is, why day is day, night night,
时间何以为时间 那不过徒然浪费了昼 夜 时间
and time is time, were nothing but to waste night, day, and time.
所以 既然简洁是智慧的灵魂
Therefore, since brevity is the soul of wit,
冗长是肤浅的藻饰 我还是把话说得简单一些吧
and tediousness the limbs and outward flourishes, I will be brief.
你们的那位殿下是疯了 我说他疯了
Your noble son is mad mad call I it,
因为假如再说明什么才是真疯 那就只有发疯
for to define true madness, what is’t but
此外还有什么可说的呢
to be nothing else but mad?
-可是那也不用说了 -多谈些实际 少弄些玄虚
– but let that go. – more matter, with less art.
娘娘 我发誓我一点不弄玄虚
Madam, I swear I use no art at all.
他疯了 这是真的
That he is mad, ’tis true
惟其是真的 所以才可叹 它的可叹也是真的
tis true ’tis pity, and pity ’tis ’tis true
蠢话少说 因为我不愿弄玄虚
a foolish figure, but farewel lit, for I will use no art.
好 让我们同意他已经疯了
Mad let us grant him then
现在我们就应该求出这一个结果的原因
and now remains that we find out the cause of this effect,
或者不如说 这一种病态的原因
or rather say, the cause of this defect,
因为这个病态的结果不是无因而至的
for this effect defective comes by cause
这就是我们现在要做的一步工作 我们来想一想吧
thus it remains, and there mainder thus. Perpend.
奥菲利娅
Ophelia!
我有个女儿 当她还是我女儿时 她是属于我的
I have a daughter, have whilst she is mine,
难得她一片孝心 把这封信给了我
who, in her duty and obedience, mark, hath given me this.
现在请猜一猜这里面说些什么话
Now gather, and surmise.
“给
‘To…
那
the…
天仙化人的 我的灵魂的偶像
celestial, and my soul’s idol,
最艳丽的奥菲利娅”
the most beautified Ophelia,’
这是一个粗俗的说法 下流的说法
That’s an ill phrase, a vile phrase,
“艳丽”两字用得非常下流
‘beautified’ is a vile phrase,
可是你们听下去吧
but you shall hear.
“让
These
这几行诗句留下在
‘In… her…
她的皎洁的
excellent… white… bosom,
胸中”
these…’
这是哈姆莱特写给她的吗
Came this from Hamlet to her?
好娘娘 等一等 我要老老实实地照原文念
Good madam, stay awhile, I will be faithful.
“你可以疑心星星是火把 你可以疑心太阳会移转
Doubt thou the stars are fire, doubt that the sun doth move,
你可以疑心真理是谎话 可是我的爱永没有改变
doubt truth to be a liar, but never doubt I love.’
亲爱的奥菲利娅啊 我不善诗词
O dear Ophelia, I am ill at these numbers,
也无法用它来表达我内心之苦楚
I have not art to reckon my groans
但我爱你之甚
but that I love thee best,
可是相信我 最好的人儿啊 我最爱的是你
O most best, believe it.
再会
Adieu.
最亲爱的小姐
Thine evermore.
只要我一息尚存 我就永远是你的 哈姆莱特”
Most dear lady, whilst this machine is to him, Hamlet.’
这一封信是我的女儿出于孝顺之心拿来给我看的
This, in obedience, hath my daughter show’d me,
此外 她又把他一次次求爱的情形
and more above, hath his solicitings,
在什么时候 用什么方法 在什么所在
as they fell out by time, by means, and place,
全都讲给我听了
all given to mine ear.
可是她对于他的爱情抱着怎样的态度呢
But how hath she receiv’d his love?
-陛下以为我是怎样的一个人 -一个忠心正直的人
– What Do you think of me? – As of a man faithful And honourable.
但愿我能够证明自己是这样一个人
I would fain prove so.
可是假如我看见这场热烈的恋爱正在进行
But what might you think, when I had seen this hot love on the wing,
早就看出来了 不瞒陛下说
as I perceiv’d it, I must tell you that,
我在我的女儿没有告诉我以前
before my daughter told me,
假如我知道有了这么一回事 却在暗中玉成他们的好事
what might you, or my dear majesty your queen here, think,
或者故意视若无睹 假作痴聋 一切不闻不问
if I had play’d the desk or table-book, or given my heart a winking,
那时候陛下的心里觉得怎样 我的好娘娘
mute and dumb, or look’d upon this love with idle sight,
您这位王后陛下的心里又觉得怎样
what might you think?
不 我一点儿也不敢懈怠我的责任
No, I went round to work, and my
立刻就对我那位小姐说
young mistress thus I did bespeak
“哈姆莱特殿下是一位王子 不是你可以仰望的
Lord Hamlet is a prince, out of thy star, this must not be’
于是我把她教训一番 叫她深居简出
and then I precepts gave her,
这种事情不能让它继续下去”
that she should lock herself from his resort,
不要接纳他的来使 也不要收受他的礼物
admit no messengers, receive no tokens.
她听了这番话 就照着我的意思实行起来
Which done, she took the fruits of my advice,
说来话短 他遭到拒绝以后 心里就郁郁不快
and he, repulsed, a short tale to make, fell into a sadness,
于是饭也吃不下了 觉也睡不着了
then into a fast, thence to a watch,
他的身体一天憔悴一天
thence into a weakness,
他的精神一天恍惚一天 这样一步步发展下去
thence to a lightness. And, by this declension,
就变成现在他这一种为我们大家所悲痛的疯狂
into the madness wherein now he raves, and all we wail for.
-你想是这个原因吗 -这是很可能的
– Do you think ’tis this? – It may be, very like.
我倒很想知道知道
Hath there been such a time, I’d fain know that…
哪一次我曾经肯定地说过了”这件事情是这样的”
that I have positively said ‘Tis so,’
-而结果却并不这样 -照我所知道的,那倒没有
– when it prov’d other wise? – Not that I know.
要是我说错了话 把这个东西从这个上面拿下来吧
Take this from this, if this be other wise
只要有线索可寻 我总会找出事实的真♥相♥
if circum stances lead me, I will find where truth is hid,
即使那真♥相♥一直藏在地球的中心
though it were hid indeed within the centre.
我们怎么可以进一步试验试验
How may we try it further?
您知道 有时候他会接连几个钟头在这儿踱来踱去
You know sometimes he walks four hours together here in the lobby.
他真的常常这样踱来踱去
So he does indeed.
乘他踱来踱去的时候 我就让我的女儿去见他
At such a time I’ll loose my daughter to him
你我可以躲在帏幕后面注视他们相会的情形
be you and I behind an arras then, mark the encounter
要是他不爱她 他的理智不是因为恋爱而丧失
if he love her not, and he not from his reason fall’n there on
那么不要叫我襄理国家的政务
let me be no assistant for a state,
让我去做个耕田赶牲口的农夫吧
but keep a farm and carters.
-我们要试一试 -可是瞧
– we will try it. – but look
这可怜的孩子忧忧愁愁地念着一本书来了
where sadly the poor wretch comes reading.
请陛下和娘娘避一避 让我走上去招呼他
Away, I do be seech you, both away I’ll board him presently.