陛下 照您的意思办吧
My lord, do as you please,
可是您要是认为可以的话
but if you hold it fit,
不妨在戏剧终场以后
after the play,
让他的母后独自一人跟他在一起
let his queen mother all alone
恳求他向她吐露他的心事
entreat him to show his grief
她必须很坦白地跟他谈谈
let her be round with him,
我就找一个所在听他们说些什么
and I’ll be plac’d, so please you, in the ear of all their conference.
要是她也探听不出他的秘密来 您就叫他到英国去
If she find him not, to England send him,
或者凭着您的高见 把他关禁在一个适当的地方
or confine him where your wisdom best shall think.
就这样吧
It shall be so
大人物的疯狂是不能听其自然的
madness in great ones must not unwatch’d go.
请你念这段剧词的时候 要照我刚才读给你听的那样子
Speak the speech, I pray you,as I pronounced it to you,
一个字一个字打舌头上很轻快地吐出来
trippingly on the tongue but if you mouth it,
要是你也像多数的伶人们一样
as many of your players do,
只会拉开了喉咙嘶叫
I had as lief the town crier
那么我宁愿叫那宣布告示的公差念我这几行词句
spoke my lines.
也不要老是把你的手在空中这么摇挥
Nor do not not saw the air too much with your hand,
一切动作都要温文
thus, but use all gently
因为就是在洪水暴风一样
for in the very torrent, tempest, and, as I may say,
的感情激发之中
whirlwind of your passion,
你也必须取得一种节制
you must acquire and beget a temperance
免得流于过火
that may give it smoothness.
啊 我顶不愿意听见一个
O, it offends me to the soul, to hear
披着满头假发的家伙在台上乱嚷乱叫
a robustious periwig-pated fellow
把一段感情片片撕碎
tear a passion to tatters, to very rags,
让那些只爱热闹的低级观众听了出神
to split the ears of the groundlings, who, for the most part,
他们中间的大部分
are capable of nothing
是除了欣赏一些莫名其妙的手势以外 什么都不懂
but inexplicable dumb shows and noise.
我可以把这种家伙抓起来抽一顿鞭子
I would have such a fellow whipped
因为他把妥玛刚特形容过分
for o’erdoing Termagant,
希律王的凶暴也要对他甘拜下风
it out-herods Herodpray you avoid it.
请你留心避免才好
I warrant your honour.
我留心着就是了 殿下
be Not too tame Neither, but
可是太平淡了也不对
let your own discretion be your tutor
你应该接受你自己的常识的指导
suit the action to the word,
把动作和言语互相配合起来 特别要注意到这一点
the word to the action, with this special observance,
你不能越过自然的常道
that you o’erstep not the modesty of nature
因为任何过分的表现都是和演剧的原意相反的
for anything so overdone is from the purpose of playing,
自有戏剧以来
whose end, both at the first and now, was and is,
它的目的始终是反映自然
to hold, as ’twere, the mirror up to nature,
显示善恶的本来面目
to show virtue her own feature, scorn her own image,
给它的时代看一看它自己演变发展的模型
and the very age and body ofthe time his form and pressure.
要是表演得过分了或者太懈怠了
Now, this overdone, or come tardy off,
虽然可以博外行的观众一笑
though it make the unskilful laugh,
明眼之士却要因此而皱眉
cannot but make the judicious grieve,
你必须看重这样一个卓识者的批评
the censure of the which one must in your allowance,
甚于满场观众盲目的毁誉
o’erweigh a whole theatre of others.
我曾经看见有几个伶人演戏
O, there be players that I have seen play,
而且也听见有人把他们极口捧场
and heard others praise, and that highly,
说一句比喻不伦的话
not to speak it profanely,
他们既不会说基♥督♥徒的语言
that, neither havingthe accent of Christians,
又不会学着基♥督♥徒 异教♥徒♥或者一般人的样子走路
nor the gait of Christian, pagan, nor man, have so…
瞧他们在台上大摇大摆 使劲叫喊的样子
strutted and bellowed that I have thought
我心里就想一定是什么造化的雇工把他们造了下来
some of nature’s journeymen had made men,
造得这样拙劣 以至于全然失去了人类的面目
and not made them well, they imitated humanity so abominably.
我希望我们在这方面已经有了相当的纠正了
I hope we have reform’dthat indifferently with us.
啊 你们必须彻底纠正这一种弊病
O, reform it altogether.
还有你们那些扮演小丑的
And let those that play your clowns
除了剧本上专为他们写下的台词以外
speak no more than
不要让他们临时编造一些话加上去
is set down for them
往往有许多小丑爱用自己的笑声
for there be of them that will themselves laugh,
引起台下一些无知的观众的哄笑
to set on some quantity of barren spectators to laugh too,
虽然那时候全场的注意力
though in the mean time
应当集中于其他更重要的问题上
some necessary question of the play
这种行为是不可恕的
be then to be considered that’s villanous
它表示出那丑角的可鄙的野心
and shows a most pitiful ambition
去 准备起来吧
in the fool that usesit. Go make you ready.
啊 大人 王上愿意来听这一本戏吗
How now, my lord! Will the king hear this piece of work?
他跟娘娘都就要来了
And the queen too, And that presently.
叫那些戏子们赶紧点儿
bid the players make haste.
-你们两人也去帮着催催他们 -是 殿下
– will you two help to hasten them? – we will, My lord.
-霍拉旭 -有 殿下
– What, ho, Horatio! – here, sweet lord, at your service.
霍拉旭 你是我所交接的人们中间
Horatio, thou art e’en as just a manas
最正直的一个人
e’er my conversation cop’d withal.
-啊 殿下 -不 不要以为我在恭维你
– O, My dear lord, – Nay, Do Not think I flatter
你除了你的善良的精神以外 身无长物
for what advancement may I hope from thee, that no revenue hast,
我恭维了你又有什么好处呢
but thy good spirits, to feed and clothe thee?
为什么要向穷♥人♥恭维
Why should the poor be flatter’d?
不 让蜜糖一样的嘴唇去吮舐愚妄的荣华
No, let the candied tongue lick absurd pomp,
在有利可图的所在
and crook the pregnant hinges of
屈下他们生财有道的膝盖来吧
the knee where thrift may follow fawning
你就是我灵魂里选中的一个人
Dost thou hear? Since my dear soul was mistress of her choice,
因为你虽然经历一切的颠沛
and could of men distinguish, here lection hath seal’d thee for herself
却不曾受到一点伤害
for thou hast been as one, insuffering all, that suffers nothing,
命运的虐待和恩宠 你都是受之泰然
a man that Fortune’s buffets and rewards hast ta’en with equal thanks
能够把感情和理智调整得那么适当
and bles’d are those whose blood and judgment are so well commingled
命运不能把他玩弄于指掌之间
that they are not a pipe for Fortune’s finger to sound
那样的人是有福的
what stop she please.
给我一个不为感情所奴役的人
Give me that man that is not passion’s slave,
我愿意把他珍藏在我的心坎
and I will wear him in my heart’s core,
我的灵魂的深处
ay, in my heart of heart,
正像我对你一样
as I do thee.
这些话现在也不必多说了
Something too much of this.
今晚我们要在国王面前演一出戏
There is a play to night before the king,
其中有一场的情节跟我告诉过你的
one scene of it comes near the circumstance,
我的父亲的死状颇相仿佛
which I have told thee, of my father’s death
当那幕戏正在串演的时候
I pr’ythee, when thou see’st that act a-foot,
我要请你集中你的全副精神 注视我的叔父
even with the very comment of thy soul observe mine uncle.
要是他在听到了那一段戏词以后
If his occulted guilt do not itself
他的隐藏的罪恶还是不露出一丝痕迹来
unkennel in one speech,
那么我们所看见的那个鬼魂一定是个恶魔
it is a damned ghost that we have seen, and my
我的幻想也就像铁匠的砧石那样黑漆一团了
imaginations are as foulas Vulcan’s stithy.
留心看他 我也要把我的眼睛看定他的脸上
Give him heedful note, for I mine eyes will rivet to his face,
过后我们再把各人观察的结果综合起来
and, after, we will both our judgments
给他下一个判断
join in censure of his seeming.
很好 殿下
Well, my lord
在演这出戏的时候
if he steal aught
要是他在容色举止之间
the whilst this play is playing,
有什么地方逃过了我们的注意
and scape detecting,
请您唯我是问
I will pay the theft.
他们来看戏了
They are coming to the play.
我必须装出一副糊涂样子 你去拣一个地方坐下
I must be idle get you a place.
你过得好吗 哈姆莱特贤侄
How fares our cousin Hamlet?
很好 好极了
Excellent, i’ faith,
我过的是变色蜥蜴的生活 整天吃空气
of the chameleon’s dish I eat the air,
肚子让甜言蜜语塞满了
promise-crammed.
这可不是你们填鸭子的办法
You cannot feed capons so.
你这种话真是答非所问
I have nothing with this answer,
哈姆莱特 我不是那个意思
Hamlet, these words are not mine.
不 我现在也没有那个意思
No, nor mine now.
大人
My lord,
您说您在大学里念书的时候 曾经演过一回戏吗
you play’d once i’ the university, you say?
是的 殿下 他们都称赞我是一个很好的演员哩
That did I, my lord, and was accounted a good actor.
-您扮演什么角色呢 -我扮的是裘力斯·凯撒
– What did you enact? – I did en act Julius Caesar,
勃鲁托斯在朱庇特神殿里把我杀死
I was kill’d i’ the Capitol, Brutus killed me.
他在神殿里杀死了
It was a brute part of him
那么好的一头小牛 真太残忍♥了
to kill so capital a calf there.
那班戏子已经预备好了吗
be the players ready?
是 殿下 他们在等候您的旨意
Ay, My lord, they stay upon your patience.
过来 我的好哈姆莱特 坐在我的旁边
Come hither, my good Hamlet, sit by me.