怎么那么晚?
You should have been home
from Miss Havisham’s an hour ago.
乔找你呐
Joe wanted you to go
to the tanners.
上大街去了会儿,比蒂
I stopped in the Hyde Street building.
买♥♥了本书
I bought this book
with the money
哈维沙姆小姐给我的钱
Miss Havisham gave me.
“伦敦城诗集”
“Poems of Londontown.”
没想到你还挺好学
I didn’t know you fancied reading.
不是,是为了这个,我…
I don’t. That’s just it, you see.
我想做上等人,比蒂
I want to be a gentleman, Biddy.
噢,打消这个念头吧
Oh, I shouldn’t if I were you.
这是不可能的
I don’t think that would answer…
都怪我没教养,下♥贱♥
But, Biddy,
I’m coarse, I’m common,
什么也不懂
and I’m ignorant.
这谁说的?
Who said that?
埃斯特拉
Estella.
我从来没见过这么美的姑娘
Why, she’s the most
beautiful girl I ever saw.
我太崇拜她了
I admire her something awful.
我要做个上等人,比蒂,是为了她
I want to be a gentleman, Biddy.
On our account.
你想做上等人是为了…气她呢?
Do you want to be a gentleman
to… spite her?
还是为了爱她?
Or to win her over?
不知道
I don’t know.
那么,你要是为了气她
Well, if it’s to spite her,
我看你把她的话当耳旁风好啦
I should think it could be done
by caring nothing for her words.
你要是为了爱她
Now, if it’s to gain her over,
我看她不值得你爱
I should think she’s not
worth the winning.
匹普,你有教养,不下♥贱♥
Pip, you’re not coarse
or common.
(我什么也不懂)
But I am ignorant.
这本书也念不下来
I can barely read this book.
上了几天学,我姐姐
My sister wouldn’t let me
go to school
就不让我念了
more than I oughta.
她说…书念多了
跟我们这号♥人不相称
I mean, she said it was wrong for me
to learn above me station.
是吗?我没上过学也识字
Well, I hardly went to school,
and I can read.
你哪儿学的?
How did you learn?
我看大概是…传染的…
I suppose I just… caught it.
就像感冒
Like a cough.
匹普,要读书不分早晚
Pip, it’s never too late to learn.
来,我给你上第一课
Come, you shall have
your first lesson.
哦,带上青豆
Oh, and bring the peas.
就挑一首诗做第一课
We’ll start by reading
one of those poems.
你呀…一个字母一个字母念
Just, uh, pass me the letters
one at a time, Pip.
L-O-N…
L-O-N…
D-O-N
D-O-N.
T-O-W-N
T-O-W-N.
“伦敦城”?
“London town”?
对了,匹普
Indeed, Pip.
伦敦城
London town.
你做了上等人就能去那儿了
You may go there
when you’re a gentleman.
哦,比蒂,我以后什么都不瞒你
Oh, Biddy, I shall always tell
you everything.
你做了上等人呢?
Till you’re a gentleman.
我做不了
That will be never.
所以我不瞒你
So let’s just say always.
匹普,回来了
Pip, You’re home?
刚见到庞布丘克大叔
I just saw Uncle Pumblechook.
他说哈维沙姆小姐有话跟我说
He says your Miss Havisham
wishes to speak with me.
要我下次跟你一起去
I’m to go along with you
on your next visit.
比蒂,大概她要送我进学校
Biddy, do you think she wants me
to go to school?
– 让我做上等人 – 别瞎想
– To become a gentleman?
– Don’t, Pip!
噢,乔,你见了她别怕
Joe, you mustn’t
be afraid of her.
她是有点怪
She make look strange…
可她是个少有的好心人
but she’s the kindest lady
in the world.
听说你是这小孩的…保护人?
You are the boy’s guardian,
I understand?
啊,您哪
Well, ma’am.
我娶了他姐姐,她死了
As I up and married
his late sister.
在我还没有…娶他姐姐…
When I was single.
Before I were married.
我就保护你了,对吗,匹普?
Well, I guess I’m your guardian,
ain’t I, Pip?
把你的冷嘲热讽留给…
You will save your scorn
for those who’ve earned it, Miss.
你的崇拜者
Your admirers.
呃…你把…这孩子抚养大
Ah, well, you reared the boy
是想收他做学徒
with the intention of taking him
as your apprentice.
是吗,加齐里先生?
Is that so, Mr. Gargery?
是这样的
Well, you know, ma’am…
我一直指望你
I always looked forward
to having you
在我身边干活,匹普
at the forge with me, Pip.
有你在我身边干起来就欢了
I mean, you being there
calculated to lead to larks.

Good.
匹普在这儿伺候过
也不能亏待他
Pip has earned some reward
for serving us here.
这儿三十个金币
Here are 25 guineas.
交给你的新东家
Give them to your master.
算你学手艺的钱
It will pay
for your apprenticeship.
匹普,我教你做铁匠
But, Pip, I never meant to take
no money to make you
不是为了钱
a blacksmith.
哦,给呀,匹普
Oh, do it, Pip.
他是个当铁匠的料
You’ll make a perfect blacksmith.
收下,乔,收下吧
Take it, Joe.
Please take it.
再会,匹普
Good-bye, Pip!
你领他们出去
Let them out, Estella.
我是不是不能再来这儿了?
Am I never to come here again,
Miss Havisham?

No.
加齐里是你的东家了
Gargery is your master now.
那埃斯特拉跟谁玩?
But who will Estella play with?
埃斯特拉下星期去法国
去那儿受上等教育
Estella goes to France next week.
She is to be educated there.
我们这儿该教她的都教完了
We have done all
that we can do for her here.
我们也用不着你了
We have done with you, as well.
再会,匹普
Good-bye, Pip.
出去
Leave me!
出去
Leave me!
过去我以为只要有一天
Once, it had seemed to me
that when I should at last
能卷起袖子在打铁炉边
roll up my shirt-sleeves
and go into the forge,
做乔的学徒
as Joe’s ‘prentice,
我一定会好好干,很快活
I should be distinguished
and happy.
可是现实是
Now that reality was here,
一片暗淡平庸的生活
life had lost all interest
and romance.
呈现在我面前的只是
What stretched out before me
was nothing…
索然无味的忍♥受
save dull endurance.

Ah.
吃饭啦
Dinnertime.
洗洗手明天再干吧

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!