-是卡宾森吗? -我不知道
– Is it Compeyson? – I don’t know.
但你必须相信威米克的判断
But you must rely on Wemmick’s judgment.
而我必须相信的你好意
And I must rely on your good faith.
你知道他现在很危险
You know he is in great danger.
我警告过他 一旦回国就是犯下重罪
I cautioned him that presenting himself in this country would be an act of felony.
他会被吊死吗?
And that he would be hung?
他会收到法律最严厉的制裁
It would render him liable to the extreme penalty of the law.
-对于他的逃亡你有什么建议? -我不能再听下去了
– Do you have advice on his escape? – I must hear no more of that.
可我的住处被监视 万一他被抓…
My chambers are being watched. If he is caught…
-那不是我的责任 -你对委托人的责任呢?
– I am not responsible for that. – What of your responsibility to your client?
你毕竟是他的律师
You are, after all, his agent.
麻烦你通知他 还有余款尚未付清
You will kindly inform him there is still a balance outstanding.
皮普 我们的朋友杜鲁默已经出手了
So, Pip. Our friend Drummle has played his cards.
对 艾丝黛拉已经嫁给他了
Yes. Estella has now married him.
正在巴黎度蜜月
And was on honeymoon in Paris.
茉莉 你今天动作真慢
Molly, Molly, how slow you are today.
为宾利·杜鲁默先生干杯
So. Here’s to Mrs Bentley Drummle.
很抱歉 老爷 我去…
I’m…very sorry, master. I’ll go…
待会儿再收拾 下去吧
See to it afterwards. Go.
我们再敬一次酒吧?
Well… Let’s try the toast again, shall we?
贾格斯先生 恐怕我得提早告辞
Mr Jaggers, I’m afraid I will have to take my leave of you early.
谢谢你的招待
Thank you for your hospitality.
怎么会有这种人
Oh, what a man he is.
跟他吃饭 你最好鼓足勇气
I find it best to screw yourself up when dining with him.
这下我完蛋了
Now I’m very screwed up.
威米克 你记得你说过他的管家是一头驯服的野兽吗
Wemmick, you called his housekeeper a wild beast tamed…
-记得 -贾格斯先生怎么驯服她的?
– I did. – How did Mr Jaggers tame her?
那是他的事
That’s his business.
-你是以私人身份问我吗? -当然
– You ask me in my Walworth capacity? – Of course.
20多年前 她因为谋杀罪受审 后来被无罪释放
20 or more years ago, she was tried at the Old Bailey for murder, and acquitted.
是贾格斯替她辩护的
Jaggers was for her.
-死者是谁? -一个女人 被勒死的
– Who was murdered? – Another woman. Strangled.
-你见过她拿双手腕 -贾格斯让我们看过
– But you’ve seen those wrists. – Jaggers made a spectacle of them.
这位管家草草嫁给一个流浪汉
Our housekeeper was married over the broomstick to a tramping man.
据说她因妒忌而满腔怒火
She was sent into a perfect fury in point of jealousy,
无罪释放后她把孩子送人
so jealous she gave up her child after acquittal
以报复她不忠的丈夫
to revenge herself upon her faithless husband.
-谁收养了那个孩子? -不知道
– The child adopted by whom? – I don’t know all of it.
陪审团不是贾格斯的对手
Jaggers was altogether too many for the jury,
他提出一个技术性细节 他们就投降了
raised a technicality, and they gave in.
-你知道那小孩是男是女吗? -据说是个女孩
– Do you know the sex of the child? – Said to have been a girl.
恐怕杜鲁默太太这时候不想见客
Mrs Drummle doesn’t wish to receive visitors at the moment.
-你跟她说了我的名字吧? -是的
– But you told her my name? – Yes, sir.
这是真的吗?
Is it real?
你感受到这火焰的温度了吗 哈维森小姐?那就是真的
You feel the heat of this flame, Miss Havisham? Then it is real.
艾丝黛拉是谁的孩子?
Whose child was Estella?
你不知道还是不肯说?
You don’t know or won’t say?
我认识她的母亲 我知道她母亲的遭遇
I know her mother. I know the story of her mother.
她叫茉莉 是贾格斯的管家
Her name is Molly and she is Jaggers’s housekeeper.
他把她婚姻失败生下的孩子送来给你 为什么?
He brought the child of her blighted marriage here to you. Why?
我…我…我告诉他我想要个小女孩来养育爱护
I… I… I told him I wanted a little girl to rear and love.
请他负责安排这件事
And he was charged with arranging it.
贾格斯拯救她脱离了什么样的生活?
And Jaggers is saving her from a life of what?
虐待?忽略?
Punishment? Neglect?
犯罪?
Crime?
缺乏营养 不再忍♥受穷苦和折磨
And for the want of nourishment. No longer to be deprived and bedevilled.
就把她带到一个比原来的环境更不幸的地方
So he brings her to a place more blighted than she could have grown into naturally.
我是不想让她遭受和我一样的痛苦
I meant to save her from misery like my own.
结果你把这种痛苦教给她
But instead, she was taught it.
我很抱歉
I’m sorry.
-看看我都对你做了什么 -对我来说 道歉或许就够了
– Look what I have done to you. – An apology may be enough for me.
和艾丝黛拉比起来 我的痛苦比较容易补偿
Compared to Estella, I am easily recompensed.
是的
Yes. Yes.
贾格斯先生告诉我你资助了赫柏·帕克
Mr Jaggers informs me you are something of a benefactor to Herbert Pocket.
却没能好人做到底
But…are unable to complete the services.
他随意把我的事情告诉你了?
He freely told you my business?
是我想知道
I wish to know it.
为什么?
Why?
还差多少钱才能帮他到底?
How much is required to complete the service?
900镑
£900.
这样你就可以取用这笔钱了
This is an authority for you to receive that money.
你自己需要多少…
And for yourself…
拜托 凭什么要我仁慈?
Who am I, for God’s sake, that I should be kind?
在我梦想幻灭的时候 你就是这么对我说的
Your words to me on the delusions I’ve been harbouring all these years.
现在你的话实现了
Now your own have come to pass.
你知道艾丝黛拉过得怎么样吗?
Do you know how Estella fares?
她在梅菲尔
She’s in Mayfair.
你们疏远了 但我最近见过她
You are estranged now, but I have seen her lately.
我可以告诉你 杜鲁默先生对她及极尽折磨
And I can report to you that she is used most cruelly by Mr Bentley Drummle.
她没有让男人心碎 碎的是有她的心
And she breaks no men’s hearts, only her own.
她没有报复男人
That she wreaks no revenge on men
却得忍♥受丈夫的无礼和懦弱
but is herself the subject of her own husband’s disrespect and cowardice
一如当年的你 哈维森小姐
as you were, Miss Havisham.
像你当年一样
As you were.
不 这不可能是真的
No. It can’t be true.
你对她的教育失败了 哈维森小姐
The lessons went wrong, Miss Havisham.
她像你希望的那样冷血无情
She feels nothing, as you wished.
只不过她对自己也一样冷血
Except she also feels nothing for herself.
你失去了当初希望养育成人的孩子
The creature you hoped to nurture is gone and lost to you.
也失去了如今同你如出一辙的女人
The woman who now so resembles you is also lost to you.
你一无所有
You have nothing.
你要我怎么样?
What…would you have me do?
皮普?
Pip?
皮普?
Pip?
救命!救命!
Help me! Help me!
艾丝黛拉!
Estella!
你想干嘛?
What do you want?
我只是要问候哈维森小姐
Oh, I only ask after Miss Havisham.
有个人说她全身烧伤
One of the servants gave it out that she was burnt all over.
-看样子她不行了 -听说你也脱不了干系
– She’s unlikely to survive. – I hear you played your part, anyways.
-你挡住我的路了 -可你每次都挡我的路
– You’re in my way. – You was always in my way.
从小时候就这样
Ever since you was a child.
但你今天得让路
But you goes out of my way this present day.
我不会再让你挡我的路
I’ll have no more of you.
你死定了
You’re dead.
-我和你有什么过节? -过节大了
– What have I done to you? – Everything.
你害我不能再庄园住下去
You cost me my place at the house.
-我不能让你留在那里 -你害我没法过生活
– I could let you stay there. – You cost me my living.
-光是这个就已经够了 -还有什么?
– That would have been enough without more. – What more?
你害我得不到喜欢的女人
You came between me and the woman I liked.
-比蒂? -你在她面前破坏我的名誉
– Biddy? – You gave Orlick a bad name to her.
这是你咎由自取的
You gave it to yourself. You did yourself harm.
你竟敢这样说?
No! How dare you?
在铁匠铺 我挨打受欺负 老板偏心你
At the forge, it was Orlick who was bullied and beat while you was favoured.
我稍稍抱怨就被炒鱿鱼
And when I complained of it, I was paid off there.
你却被批准去城外看哈维森小姐
And you went up town to see your Miss Havisham.
但我还是回来了
Still, I came back.
-我还是回来了 -你杀了我姐姐
– Oh, I came back all right. – You killed my sister.
是你害的 她是你害的
Your doing. You did for her.
现在你是个绅士 而我就快没饭吃了
Now you’re a gentleman and I can barely get a living?
现在最惨的人是我
I’m as wretched and thwarted as you will ever be.
胡说八道
You’re a liar.
你这是…狡辩
This is some…pleading.
-我才不听呢 -我的恩人是个罪犯
– But Orlick won’t listen to it. – My benefactor is a convict.
如果我不藏匿他 他就会被吊死
A convict I’m harbouring from the rope.
我拥有财富 却不能靠它功成名就
So I have a fortune which could never enrich me.
我爱的女人嫁给了别人 我不知道我会有什么下场
The woman I love is married to someone else and I’ve no idea what is to become of me.
我已经完蛋了 欧里克 只剩行尸走肉烂命一条
I’m already done for, Orlick. I’ve nothing left except my life.
所以我很乐意让你拿去 拿去吧
What’s more, I will gladly let you take it. Take it.
你…仇人!
You…enemy!

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!