所以你最好坐稳点
We’re going to give you a shock, Chips,
so you’d better hang on to your chair.
下学期我们会缺人手
We’re going to be
in a bad hole next term.
你知道一班老师参了军…
And you know half the masters
have joined up…
…还有很多人在等着呢
…and the substitutes are a dreadful lot.
我知道 我知道这很难 是的 很难
I know. I know it’s difficult, yes.
现在轮到校长了
如果你觉得还可以的话 能否回到学校?
And now the head wants to go himself.
If you feel equal to it, will you come back?
-我?
-是的
-Me?
-Yes.
再没有其他活着的人比你更了解这学校了
No man living knows the school
as you do.
政♥府♥希望你担任校长…
Our governors want you
to be headmaster…
…直到战争结束
…and to hold the fort
until the war is over.
校长?
The headmastership?
可以吗?奇普斯
Will you, Chips?
当然 当然 我会去的
Yes. Yes, I’ll come.
你是对的 亲爱的
You were right, my dear.
最终我当上了校长
I am headmaster after all.
祝贺你
聪慧的队伍脸上洋溢着笑容
I congratulate you. Smart parade
and a fine-looking lot of boys.
谢谢 将军
Thank you, general.
很重要的 这个自主的工作
他们是明天的军官
Very important, this OTC work.
These lads are the officers of tomorrow.
我希望 将军
明天永远不会来到
I prefer to hope, general,
that tomorrow never comes.
波顿 我听说你对史密斯先生相当粗鲁
Burton, I understand you’ve been
impertinent and disobedient to Mr. Smith.
我写了检讨书
我已经收到惩罚了
I’ve written the lines.
I’ve done the punishment.
如果你受了惩罚…
Providing you do the punishment…
…你就该想到自己开了多么愚蠢的玩笑 难道不是吗?
…you think yourself entitled
to play stupid practical jokes, is that it?
坐下
Sit down.
我想知道你为什么做了这些
I want to know why you do
this kind of thing.
因为这里的所有老师都是弱不禁风的女人
I do it because the whole crowd
of masters here are weak-kneed women.
他们不参军因为他们不适合去或者太老了
They’re not in the army because
they’re not fit to be, or too old.
然后他们就反过来在我们面前施威
They get it back on us by being tyrants.
在进行你的有趣演讲前 趴在椅子上
Before you go on with your interesting
speech, get over that chair.
趴下
Get over that chair.
起来
Get up.
坐下
Sit down.
现在你会明白摇椅是最舒服的
You’ll find the armchair
the most convenient now.
对于我来说 这么做并不是为了好玩 波顿
It didn’t amuse me to do that, Burton.
很快 在法国你就将成为军士
Very soon now, you’ll be
an officer in France.
你需要纪律约束手下
You’ll need discipline from your men.
要做到这点 你必须知道什么是纪律
And to get that, you must know
what discipline means.
现在 你看不起这里的老师…
Now, you despise the masters here…
…因为他们不够年轻 不够强壮…
…because they’re not young enough
or strong enough to fight…
…但你应该知道每个人都是尽自己的全力去参军
…you might like to know that every one
has done his best to join.
除非是这样 否则我们不会派他们去前线
We take no man unless he has done that.
现在我是校长 因为适合当校长的都在法国参加战争
I’m headmaster now because every man fit
to be headmaster’s fighting in France.
我是战争时代的幸存者
暂时的管♥理♥员♥
I’m a wartime fluke.
A temporary officer risen from the ranks.
但直到战争结束 我会誓死和布鲁克菲尔德在一起
But I’m going to keep Brookfield together
until the war is over.
-你明白了吗?
-我一开始不知道关于老师的这些 先生
-You understand?
-I didn’t know that, sir, about the masters.
对不起
I’m sorry.
如果我觉得你没有可塑性
我就不会对你说这些了
If I thought you hadn’t any good in you,
I shouldn’t have told you.
现在 你是否准备站起来做你该做的?
Now, are you gonna stand in
and do your share?
-当然 先生
-好的
-Of course I am, sir.
-That’s right.
看 在那里 那里
Look, there it is. There.
-看 那上面
-这是一片云
-Look, over there.
-It’s a cloud.
-探照灯照到了
-枪声 他们肯定发现了
-Searchlight’s got it.
-The guns, they must have spied it.
快 离开那里 你们这些孩子
快到下面去
Here, out of this, you kids.
Down to lower school.
把窗帘放下
Put those blinds down.
回到座位上 放下窗帘
Get to your places. Put them down.
在现在这个特殊的时刻…
At this particular moment…
…在世界历史上…
…in the world’s history…
…对于你们来说…
…it may seem to you that…
…恺撒的事迹…
…the affairs of Julius Caesar…
…2000年前在高尔…
…in Gaul 2999 years ago…
…是一些…
…are of somewhat–
一些不那么重要的
Somewhat secondary importance.
但请相信我 你们不能仅仅用他们的噪音来 …
But believe me, you can’t judge
the importance of things…
…判断这些事情的重要性
…by the noise they make.
有人主动举手来朗诵吗?
Is there anyone who would like
to volunteer to construe?
-马纳德?
-是 先生
-Maynard?
-Yes, sir.
翻到49页
从最后一行读起
Turn to page 49
and begin at the bottom line, will you?
这是一类战争…
This was the kind of fighting…
…德国人逼迫着自己
…in which the Germans
busied themselves.
你们看到了吗?
You see?
这些死去的语言在现实中也有用
These dead languages do come
to life sometimes, don’t they?
他们就像互相跟着对方
好比榔头和钳子
They were going at it,
hammer and tongs.
就像斗鸡一样
Game as a pair of fighting cocks.
小科利的眼睛闭起来了
“警卫”我说
One of young Colley’s eyes was closing.
“Keep your guard up,” I said.
-是的 我能听到你
-哦 亲爱的
-Yes, I can hear you.
-Oh, dear.
不了 谢谢你 你知道的 每次来这里我总是吃得太多
No, thank you. I always eat too much
when I come here, you know.
好了 小科利
这是你制♥造♥的混乱
Well, young Colley,
that’s a fine mess you’ve made.
海伦 这孩子得来布鲁克菲尔德
This fellow must come
to Brookfield, Helen.
当然 自从安妮女王逝世
科利家族的人就去布鲁克菲尔德上学
Of course. The Colleys have gone
to Brookfield since Queen Anne died.
小猪 可爱的小猪
Here, little pig. You precious little pig.
-彼得总是在心中提到你
-我这边也是
-Peter always asks after you in his letter.
-We’re even then.
他的信中总是提到你
His letters to me are full of you.
我得走了 去赶汽车
Well, I must be off if I’m
to catch that bus.
-我想也是 我替你拿外套
-谢谢
-Oh, I’m afraid so. I’ll get your coat.
-Thank you.
再见 年轻人 再见
Well, goodbye, young fellow. Goodbye.
别噎着了啊 再见
And don’t choke yourself. Bye-bye.
秋天色彩真艳丽啊?!
Aren’t the colors marvelous this autumn?
我总是想他在树叶落光前能回家
I like to think he’ll be back
before the leaves fall.
海伦 都是这样的想法
希望和平
There’s every hope, Helen.
Hope of peace.
科利参加的战争怎么能延续这么长时间
Beats me how any fight could last
so long with a Colley in it.
想着不再生活在恐惧中
Think of living without fear again.
不用担心看到信或是电报
Without trembling at the sight
of a letter or telegram.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!