as you are now.
这才是关键所在
That’s the point.
我想 到那时你们这些孩子…
In my mind, you remain boys…
…还是会和今晚一样
…just as you are this evening.
有时人们提到约翰.科利先生…
Sometimes when people speak
of Sir John Colley…
…我们的政♥府♥主席…
…our chairman of governors…
…我就会对自己说,
“是啊 那个头发总是往上翘的家伙…
…I think to myself, “Yes, a jolly little chap
with hair that sticks up on top…
…而且对拉丁动词一点概念也没有 ”
…and absolutely no idea of Latin verbs.”
尽管我退休了
我会始终在学校附近
Although I am resigning,
I shall still be near the school.
我会住在维基特夫人家中
在迈.阿克对面
I shall live at Mrs. Wickett’s house,
just opposite Main Arch.
好吧 有时也请记得我
Well, remember me sometimes.
我会一直记着你们的
I shall always remember you.
我想我不需要翻译给你们听
I need not translate it for you.
晚安 还有很感谢你
Well, good night. And thank you.
-很高兴您离我们并不太远
-随时奉陪
-Glad you won’t be far away.
-Anytime you need me.
我不会犹豫
I shan’t hesitate.
还有 奇普斯…
And, Chips…
…当你写你的那本书时…
…when you write that book of yours…
…记得在你教的所有孩子后面加上…
…remember that in addition
to all those boys you taught…
…你曾教导过不止一个校长
…you managed to teach something
to at least one headmaster.
再见
Goodbye.
-晚安 严克斯
-晚安 先生
-Good night, Jenks.
-Good night, sir.
我们为失去你感到很遗憾 先生
We’re all sorry at losing you, sir.
谢谢 严克斯
Thank you, Jenks.
你知道吗 先生
我总在想有一年你会当校长
Do you know, sir, I always kind of thought
that you’d be headmaster here one day.
是吗?
Did you?
是 不仅我…
Well, so did…
…还有其他人也这么想
…someone else once.
-有什么新闻吗?严克斯
-没什么大新闻 先生
-Any news, Jenks?
-Oh, nothing very much, sir.
-一个奥地利公爵被杀了
-哦 天哪
-An Austrian archduke’s been murdered.
-Oh, dear.
-那么 晚安了 严克斯
-晚安 奇普先生
-Well, good night, Jenks.
-Good night, Mr. Chipping, sir.
这是曼彻斯特军团
他们正赶赴前线
It’s the Manchester Regiment.
They’re off to the front.
这很刺♥激♥吗?先生
Isn’t it exciting, sir?
啊?我想大概是吧
Is it? Well, I suppose it is.
我赌这些士兵也希望有和我们一样的袖标
I bet those tommies wish
they had a band like ours.
每座桥上都有哨兵
还都带着刺刀
There were sentries on every bridge
at home, with bayonets fixed.
我叔叔看到俄♥国♥人通过了
My uncle saw the Russians
come through.
-他怎么知道他们是俄♥国♥人?
-很简单啊
-How did he know they were Russian?
-Easy, Wes.
他们留着大胡子
船上也都是雪
They had beards,
and snow on their boots.
我看到 华特斯也参军了
I say, Waterhouse has joined up.
华特斯?
Waterhouse?
是的 先生
Yes, sir.
但他刚上完一学期课啊
But he only left last term.
你认为这会持续多久?
How long do you think it will last?
怎么 福斯特
你也想参军?
Why, Forrester,
you thinking of joining the army?
-只要他们需要我
-他们需要你之前 一切都结束了
-I will as soon as they’ll have me.
-lt’ll all be over long before they do that.
-但我都16岁多了 先生
-我知道 福斯特
-But I’m 1 6 and a bit, sir.
-I know, Forrester.
但恐怕你不会有机会了
But I’m afraid you won’t have a chance.
这不需要多久 合乎情理的话
It can’t last. Stands to reason.
只是几个星期的问题
It’s a question of weeks.
抱歉让你失望了 福斯特
Sorry to disappoint you, Forrester.
今天把荣耀…
Tonight adds to the roll of honor…
…献给来自布鲁克菲尔德的11个孩子
和一位老师…
…the names of 1 1 boys
and one master of Brookfield School…
…他们为祖国献出了他们的生命
…who have given their lives
for their country.
北厄布兰富西里的约翰.福斯特
John Forrester
of the Northumberland Fusiliers.
在厄普雷斯反击时遇难
Killed while counterattacking the enemy
in the salient at Ypres.
他在17岁零六个月时离开这里 参了军
He left here to join the army
at the age of 1 7 years and 6 months.
在他到法国的第二天
他就被派到前线…
He was moved up into the line
on his second day in France…
…2天后在战场上牺牲
…and two days later was killed in action.
我都16岁多了 先生
But I’m 16 and a bit, sir.
我知道 福斯特
但恐怕你不会有机会了
I know, Forrester. But I’m afraid
you won ‘t have a chance.
华威克施尔军团的理查德.金斯利
Richard Kingsley
of the Warwickshire Regiment.
在战壕中引爆♥炸♥弹中倒下
Fell leading a bombing raid
upon the enemy trenches.
金斯利是学校1909年时的队长并去过桑德霍斯特
Kingsley was captain of the school
in 1 909 and entered Sandhurst.
-科利
-我想见你
-Colley.
-I wanted to see you.
我周五去法国
I’m off to France on Friday.
马丁.路特富德和约翰.帕斯莫尔是好朋友
Martin Rutherford and John Passmore
were friends.
他们在同一年一起来到这里…
They came here together
in the same term…
…他们也一起参加了空军…
…they joined the flying corps together…
…并在同一天牺牲…
…and died upon the same day…
…在轰炸德尔维利.伍德的地面部队时
…covering the infantry attack
upon Delville Wood.
你看到了 我去前线后 海伦会很孤单
So you see, Helen’s going to be
rather lonely while I’m out there.
我明白 和你说这些很难受
I say, this is an awful thing to ask you.
继续 继续 科利
Go on. Go on, Colley, please.
她会住在查伯鲁
Well, she’s going to live at Charborough.
孩子已经大约1岁了
The kid’s nearly a year old now.
我在想您是否能每隔一段时间
抽空过去看看她?这不太远
I’m just wondering whether you’d run over
and see her once in a while? It’s not far.
如果有人能去看望她 我会感到非常高兴
I’d feel terribly happy if there
were someone she could see.
当然 科利 当然
Of course, Colley. Of course.
哦 你真是太好了 先生
这是地址
Oh, it’s awfully good of you, sir.
The address is here.
您帮了我一个大忙
You’re doing me a great honor.
这是你的一位老朋友 奇普斯
Here’s an old friend of yours, Chips.
你忘记我了吗?奇普先生
You don’t remember me,
Mr. Chipping, sir?
哦 请原谅我
如果这不是城市奶酪的话
Why, bless my soul,
if it isn’t the town cheese.
佩金斯是我的传令兵 我们前往法国
Perkins is my batman. We’re off to France.
真的吗?
Really?
现在你们不再打架了吧?
You’re not fighting each other this time?
对我来说这是我的荣幸 先生
能和科利先生一起
It’s a great bit of luck for me, sir,
being with Mr. Colley.
好了 对你们二位说再见了
Well, goodbye to you both.
上天保佑你
God bless you.
别担心 你知道的
Don’t worry about, you know.
-我会看住你们两个的
-谢谢你
-I’ll keep an eye on them both for you.
-Thank you, sir.
再见
Goodbye.
我得天哪 先生 你迟到了
My goodness, sir, you are late.
有两位先生在等你
他们等得很急
There’s two gentlemen waiting for you,
and they’re in a dreadful hurry.
我们来给你个惊喜 奇普斯