to make an elegant young lady out of you.
把你塑造成高贵的小姐
To show you off to your best advantage.
让你展现最美的一面
You must admit, one doesn’t have…
你得承认 面对…
to turn oneself…
加斯顿这样的老朋友…
for an old friend like Gaston.
根本不用彻底改变自己
It’s silly.
这很愚蠢
It’s absolutely silly.
绝对愚蠢
I’ve decided your new dress may not be as bad as all that.
我想你的新裙子可能还没那么糟
I didn’t see it properly, and perhaps I was a bit cruel.
我有点眼拙 还有点唐突
To prove it, I’ll take you for a drive…
为了表示诚意 我请你坐车去…
for tea at the reservoirs in Versailles.
凡尔赛大街的水库酒店喝杯茶
Would you like that? Oh, I’d love it!
你愿意吗? 我很乐意
Grandmama! Gaston wants to take me to tea at the reservoirs.
加斯顿想带我去水库酒店喝茶
You’ve come back, Gaston. How tolerant you are.
你回来了 加斯顿 你真是宽宏大量
I hadn’t really gone.
我压根没走
We’re going to tea at the reservoirs.
我们要去水库酒店喝茶
No, you’re not.
不 你不能去
I’m sorry, Gaston.
对不起 加斯顿
What do you mean?
你说什么?
Grandmama, please.
外婆 求你了
Gigi, go to your room for a moment.
琪琪 去你的房♥间待会儿
I have to talk to Gaston about something.
我要和加斯顿聊聊
No, grandmama.
不 外婆
Gigi, do as you’re told.
琪琪 照我说的做
Mamita, what does this mean?
玛米塔 这是什么意思?
Something has changed here lately.
最近有些不对劲
I can feel it.
我感觉得到
Sit down, Gaston.
请坐 加斯顿
Please.
请
Gaston, you know my friendship for you.
加斯顿 你知道我把你当作朋友
My friendship and my gratitude.
我的朋友和恩人
But I must not forget my duty.
但我不能忘掉我的责任
Gigi’s mother has neither the time…
琪琪的母亲…
nor the mind to tuld be labeled.
没有时间和心思照顾她
And Gigi isn’t just another girl. She’s special.
琪琪不是普通的女孩 她与众不同
Of course.
当然
For years, you’ve been giving her candies and trinkets…
长久以来 你给她买♥♥糖果和小首饰…
and she adores you.
她也很喜欢你
Now you want to take her in your…
现在你让她搭你的车…
automobile to the Reservoirs for tea.
去水库酒店喝茶
“Take Gigi wherever you want.” I…
如果只有你我 我会说: 带琪琪去哪儿都行
would trust her wuld be labeled.
你和她即便走到天涯海角我都放心
But there are others, Gaston. You are known everywhere.
但还有别人 加斯顿 你是公众人物
For a woman to go out with you alone now…
现在如果有个女孩和你独处…
with the eyes of paris on you…
在巴黎人看来…
Are you trying to make me believe…
你想告诉我…
that if Gigi goes out with me, she’ll be compromised?
如果琪琪和我一起外出 她会很危险?
Let us say she would be labeled.
不如说是让人误以为名花有主
A young girl who goes out with you…
和你一起外出的女孩…
is no longer an orin the newspapers.
都会被另眼相看
Not even a respectable young girl.
甚至名誉受损
Mamita, this is absurd.
玛米塔 荒谬
As far as you are concerned, it would be just another news item.
以你现在的人气 这只会成为又一则花边新闻
But in this case, I would not have the heart to laugh…
但这次 我在报纸上读到它时
when I read it in the newspapers.
就没法开怀大笑了
This is too ridiculous to discuss any further.
继续聊下去就显得太可笑了
I don’t want to contradict you…
我不想和你反♥目♥
and I don’t want to argue about it.
也不想和你争论
If you feel you are protecting Gigi from…
如果你自以为在救琪琪于水火
some cruel fate, tave an appointment.
那是你的事
I understand responsibility to Gigi better than you, Gaston.
我比你更了解如何对琪琪负责
I’ll do all I can to entrust her only to a man who’ll be able to say:
我只会将她托付给一个会对他说:
“I’ll take care of her. I’ll answer for her future.”
“我会照顾她 照顾她一生一世” 的男人
Now, can I get you your chamomile tea, Gaston?
现在 要我给你上甘菊茶吗 加斯顿?
No, thank you. I have an appointment…
不用了 谢谢你 我还有个约会…
and I’m late already.
我已经迟到了
But forgive me if I wonder, madame…
但请原谅我的好奇 夫人…
whom you are keeping her for?
你要把她留给谁?
some underpaidiney…
某个会娶她 并在三年内…
who’ll marry her and give her…
让她生四个孩子的…
four children in three years?
收入微薄的银行职员?
You’re upset. Please…
你有些烦躁 请…
To see her married in white in a…
要看着她身披白纱
dingy little church to a plumber…
在阴暗的小教堂里嫁给一个…
who’ll only give her a worthless name…
除了能给她虚名 一无所有的…
and the squalor of good intentions?
让她安于贫穷的管道工吗?
Very well, madame. Very well!
很好 夫人 很好
If that’s your ambition…
如果这就是你的愿望…
inflict your misery in the name of respectability.
只管清清白白地安于贫穷吧
I pity you! I pity you all!
我同情你! 我同情你们!
Upset!
烦躁!
What utter rubbish!
全是废话!
Pierre…
皮埃尔…
do I look upset?
我看上去烦躁吗?
Yes, monsieur, you do.
是的 先生 确实如此
Upset!
烦躁!
Upset indeed!
确实很烦躁!
She’s a babe.
她乳臭未干
Just a babe.
天真幼稚
Still cavorting in her crib.
还睡婴儿床
Eating breakfast with a bib.
吃饭带围兜
With her baby teeth and all her baby curls.
满嘴乳牙 一头卷毛
She’s a tot.
她年幼无知
Just a tot.
不谙世事
Good for bouncing on your knee I am positive that she.
吃亏长堑获益匪浅 我敢肯定
Doesn’t even know that boys aren’t girls.
她男女都分不清
She’s a snip.
她调皮捣蛋
Just a snip.
率性而为
Making dreadful baby noise having fun with all her toys.
嬉笑哭闹 沉迷玩具
Just a chickadee who needs a mother hen.
就像一只离不开妈妈的小山雀
She’s a cub, a papoose you could never turn her loose.
她还年幼 不能放任
She’s too infantile to take her from her pen.
她没长大 不能出门
Of course, that weekend in Trouville.
当然 在特卢维尔的那个周末
In spite of all her youthful zeal.
尽管年轻气盛
She was exceedingly polite.
她仍彬彬有礼
And on the whole, a sheer delight.
总体来说 非常快乐
And if it wasn’t joy galore.
即使不算充满乐趣
At least not once was she a bore.
至少也未让人厌烦
That I recall.
我的印象里
No, not at all.
一点也不让人厌烦
She’s a child.
她是个孩子
A silly child.
一个蒙昧的孩子
Adolescent to her toes and good heaven, how it shows.
从头到脚无知幼稚 天哪 何以见得
Sticky thumbs are all the fingers she has got.
她长了十根笨拙的大拇指
She’s a child.
她是个孩子
A clumsy child.
一个笨拙的孩子
She’s as swollen as a grape and she doesn’t have a shape.
她胖得像颗葡萄 没有婀娜身材
Where her figure ought to be it is not!
平得就像飞机场
Just a child.
还是个孩子
A growing child.
一个未熟的孩子
But so backward for her years if a boy her age appears.
这是个羞涩的年龄 即使同龄的男孩
I am certain he will never call again.
也定然不会放声大叫
She’s a scamp and a brat doesn’t know where she is at.
她是个顽皮的小鬼 懵懵懂懂
Unequipped and undesirable to men.
情窦未开
Of course, I must in truth confess.
当然 坦白地说
That in her brand-new little dress.
穿着那条崭新的裙子
She looked surprisingly mature.
她成熟惊艳
And had a definite allure.
魅力无穷
It was a shock, in fact, to me.
连我都震惊不已
A most amazing shock to see.
看到一个少女