也许你会说我多虑了
It was a lovely sentiment…
但他当时的原话其实是,“谢谢你 再见”
but what he was actually saying was, “Thank you and goodbye.”
我已经失去了用途
I had served my purpose.
而现在 轮到你了
And now, you have served yours.
“谢谢你 珀金斯先生 再见”
“Thank you and goodbye, Mr. Perkins.”
恕我直言 伯恩斯坦夫人
With respect, Mrs. Bernstein…
你对我和汤姆之间的关系 根本一点都不了解
you haven’t the slightest notion of my relationship with Tom.
– 考虑到这一点… – 他让你帮他做很多事
– And in view of that… – He makes you do things…
在此之前 你根本不知道自己有这样的能力 他释放你的潜能
you never thought you’d do. He liberates you.
当你已经习惯这一切改变的时候
And just when you have come to depend upon that…
他将会离开你
he will leave you.
至此以后 你将永远不会感觉到充实与活力
And you will never feel so alive again.
抱歉 伯恩斯坦夫人 我知道这段时期对你而言 非常难熬
I’m sorry, Mrs. Bernstein. I know this has been hard on you.
无论他对你造成了什么样的伤害
Whatever pain he’s caused you…
我只希望他不是有意而为
I can only hope he didn’t mean it.
你能把他在欧洲的地址告诉我吗?
Can you give me his address in Europe?
他让我别说
He asked me not to.
那你能告诉我 他什么时候回来吗?
Can you tell me when he’s coming home?
也不行
I don’t think so.
也就是说
So…
他的世界里已经没有我了
I don’t exist anymore.
我被编辑删除了
I’ve been edited.
我还没决定 这一枪应该打谁
I haven’t quite decided who I’m going to shoot yet.
汤姆
Tom…
我自己
myself…
还是你
or you.
你有什么建议吗?
Have you a suggestion?
自杀看起来极端了点
Suicide seems a bit extreme.
杀死汤姆 也不会改变任何事情
And killing Tom won’t help much.
所以只剩下我了
So I suppose that leaves me.
确实是这样
I suppose it does.
这件事真的是你多虑了 伯恩斯坦夫人
You’re overwriting the scene, Mrs. Bernstein.
等着瞧吧 珀金斯先生
We shall see, Mr. Perkins.
对于即将发生在你身上的事 我深表歉意
I am very sorry for what’s going to happen to you.
我是真心的
Truly, I am.
当你还有机会和汤姆相处的时候 牢牢把握住
Enjoy the time with Tom while you have it…
因为他离开以后…
because after him…
…生活将会变得了无生趣
there is a great hush.
嘿 很高兴见到你
Hey, good to see you.
麦克斯!
Max!
汤姆!
Tom!
见到你真高兴 汤姆
Wonderful to see you, Tom.
– 我有好多话想对你讲 – 的士在等我们呢
– But we need to talk. – I have a taxi waiting.
见鬼 不!让的士把我的行李载回去吧
Heck, no! Taxi can take my luggage.
不坐的士 不坐火车 不坐公交
No taxis or trains or buses or automation.
我只想走走
I have to ambulate.
我迫切地想要感受这片故土
I have to feel my country again.
– 你先走吧 – 谢谢你 先生
– You go ahead. – Thank you, sir.
你不知道我有多想你
You don’t know how much I missed you.
噢 我也很想你 汤姆 但有件事很重要 我必须先跟你讲
Oh, I missed you too, Tom, but this is important.
艾琳来我的办公室找我 还带了一把枪
Aline came to the office and she has a gun.
一把真枪
An actual gun.
让她见鬼去吧
Hell with her.
我离开太久了
I’ve been away so long…
我们应该为我回到美国这个最伟大的国家
we have to celebrate my return to the greatest of nations…
好好庆祝一番
with all things American.
我想吃维也纳香肠 逛逛这座城市
I have to eat some wieners and, and walk the city…
然后再喝点带劲的酒
and drink us some serious liquor.
一个人真的可以做到吗?
I mean, can one man do it?
真正客观地去记录他自己的一生?
Write his whole life story fairly?
说实话吗?比如普鲁斯特
Honestly? Like Proust…
他写的自传就很真实 不加修饰
without all the upholstery.
当然
Well, sure.
《时光与河流》所讲述的故事之后 我便遇见了艾琳
Now, Of Time and the River stopped when I met Aline.
我打算接下来描述这一段经历
I’ll have to write about that next.
– 她不会乐意的 – 她一定会喜欢的!
– She won’t like it. – She’ll love it!
这会让她留名百世
It’ll make her immortal.
噢 麦克斯 快看
Oh, Max, look at this.
我们的国家到底怎么了 麦克斯?
What’s happening to our country, Max?
– 真是太没用了 – 什么?
– It’s so frivolous. – What?
我的工作 写文章
What I do. Writing books.
这些人永远也没机会读到它们
These folks will never read.
记录我的人生轨迹 并不能帮助到他们
Telling my life story like it’s important to them.
这些人连饭都吃不饱
These people are starving.
嘿 跟我来
Hey, come with me.
来啊
Come on.
你一定是在跟我开玩笑
You have got to be kidding me.
这值得你冒这个险 我保证
It’ll be worth it, I promise.
我骗过你吗?
Have I ever lied to you?
我们这种行为应该符合
This would fall under the general category…
非法入侵的范畴了
of breaking and entering.
就当冒个险吧
Let’s have an adventure.
该死!
Damn!
真不敢相信
I don’t believe it.
真不敢相信
I don’t believe it.
我们究竟是为什么要来这里?
Why on earth are we here?
这里是我来纽约 住的第一个地方
This is where I first lived when I came to New York.
我就是在这里完成《天使,望故乡》的
This is where I wrote Look Homeward, Angel.
每当黄昏时分 我便会上来
I would come here every twilight…
俯瞰这座城市
and look at the city…
梦想我之后的生活
and dream of what my life might be…
直到天边显现星星的身影
till the stars came out.
夜空中的星星
The stars in the sky.
还有大楼里闪耀的灯光
The lights in the buildings.
所有光亮交织在一起
All those lights.
还有生命的力量
All the power of life.
你所做的并非一点用处都没有 汤姆
You’re not frivolous, Tom.
我想石器时代的时候
I think back in the caveman days…
我们的祖先每到夜晚 都会围坐在火堆旁
our ancestors would huddle around the fire at night…
狼会在黑夜里嚎叫 好像随时会从周围的草丛里蹦出来
and wolves would be howling in the dark, just beyond the light.
这时就会有一个人开始讲话
And one person would start talking.
他会讲一个故事
And he would tell a story…
这样大家就不会感到害怕了
so we wouldn’t be so scared in the dark.
我回来的时候 想看看校稿
I guess I’ll have to look at the proofs when I get back.
可以吗?
Is that all right?
要去多久?
How long?
如果我还活着 也就几个月吧
Well, if I don’t get shot, a couple of months.
告诉你 这次的目的地是西班牙
I’m telling you, Spain is where the action’s going to be.
[海明威是一名斗牛粉丝 他在小说《午后之死》中尽情描写和赞美了这项传统]
你已经写过一本关于斗牛的书了啊
You’ve already done a bullfighting book.
恐怕世界现在的格局
Nah, it’s not bullfighting this time.
已不再安定了
World has gone beyond that, I’m afraid.
到处都是战火连连
It’s war that’s coming.
那你还去?
And you need to be there?
我得找点事做啊
Well, I need to be somewhere.
我想再次感受一下为生活而奋斗的激♥情♥ 懂吗?
I need to feel the old lucha por la vida, you know?
为生存而战 不然活着还有什么意义?
The struggle for life. What else is there?
把鱼吊起来 小伙子们 我们拍张照纪念一下
Hoist her up, boys. We want to take a photograph.
好的 按他说的做
All right, you heard him.
那么
So…
从伟大的阿什维尔走出来的缪斯 最近如何?
how’s the muse from greater Asheville doing?
神啊救救我吧 他又在写新书
He’s writing a new book, God help me.
你看《时光与河流》了吗?
Did you read Of Time and the River?
废话
Crap.
这个年轻人太过傲慢 太过于追求所谓名望
The boy has serious delusions of importance.
他在文中夸夸其谈 言辞粗鲁
And he’s been mouthing off to the press too much.
叫他管好自己的嘴 好好写文章吧
Tell him to shut the hell up and stick to his pencil.
你知道汤姆 他就是有点精力过盛
Well, you know Tom. He’s exuberant.
胡说 他是开始将读者对他的评价 一一与自己对应了
Bullshit. He’s starting to believe what they say about him.
菲茨杰拉德也是同样的情况
Same thing that happened to Fitzgerald.
被人无数次地夸赞自己是文坛巨匠

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!