这也是我的工作
And this is my job.
你到底什么时候才能意识到 首演对于我来讲是有多么重要?
When will you ever learn how much an opening night means to me?
我戴对了吗?
Is this all right?
对 你看起来很漂亮
Yes, you look lovely.
你上台的时候 能把围巾放在面向观众一边的肩膀上吗?
Could you please put the scarf on your downstage shoulder when you enter?
谢谢
Thank you.
今晚对我来讲非常重要 我需要你
It’s an important night for me. I need you here.
但我今晚得工作
I have to work tonight.
这两年来 你每晚都要工作
You’ve been working every single night for the past two years.
你知道当你每次回家
Do you have any idea what it’s like…
都要面对空无一人的房♥间 是怎样的感受吗?
coming home to an empty apartment every night?
听着 我不是说你的工作不重要
Look, I’m not saying your work is not important.
你就是这个意思!
Of course you are!
我就只需要这一个晚上
I ask for one night.
就一晚 你能腾出你宝贵的时间 到现场来支持我
One night of your precious time to be at my side and support me.
你不明白 你不明白
You don’t understand. You don’t understand.
我的书现在正处于一个极度紧张的危险期!
We are at a moment of radical crisis with my book!
够了 别说了!
Stop it. Stop it!
别跟我说什么危机处理
I’ve never known you not to be at a point…
你从没体会过这种感受 你真应该上台表演试试
of radical crisis about something. You really ought to be on the stage.
麦克斯说 如果我们能…
Max says if we push through…
又开始了“麦克斯说!麦克斯建议!麦克斯指示!”
There we go. “Max says! Max suggests! Max instructs!”
不管哪一天 只要他一开口 你便随叫随到
He can have you every other day of the week…
但我只需要你陪我一晚
but I need you tonight.
所以拜托你 能不能从我的道具上起来 赶紧回家
So, please, would you get off my set, go home…
穿上你的蓝色西装 等我七点来接你
and put on your blue suit, and I will pick you up at 7:00.
我不会来的
I won’t be there.
你自己选择 汤姆
Make your choice, Tom.
现在就选
Right now.
没必要这么做吧 亲爱的
There’s no call for this, honey.
快选
Right now.
看看你都对我做了什么
Look what you have done to me.
他现在压力很大
He’s under a lot of pressure.
如果现在不继续 我不知道他会变成什么样
If we don’t keep going now, I don’t know what’ll happen to him.
需要装食物的篮子吗?
You want the big hamper?
还有热水瓶
And the thermoses.
谢谢
Thanks.
你必须站在他的立场上 想想他现在的处境
You have to think what it’s like for him.
他的第一本书出版后 人人都叫他天才
His first book comes out, everyone calls him a genius.
所有人对他第二本书的期望值都非常之高
Expectations on the second book are mighty big.
他很惶恐 所以他才不停地写 不停地写
He’s scared. That’s why he won’t stop writing.
为什么你不自己向女儿们解释清楚?
Why don’t you explain that to your daughters?
– 路易丝 – 她们很想念自己的爸爸
– Louise. – They want their father back.
但这是我的工作啊
It’s my job. It’s what I do.
每天二十四小时不间断的工作?
Every minute of every day?
如果需要花几年的时间 那我也没有办法
And if it takes years, it takes years.
你要知道 这段时间你以后永远没办法弥补回来
You’re never going to get this time back.
天啊 这不过是一次该死的度假而已!
It’s one damn vacation, for Christ’s sake!
路易丝 像汤姆这样的作家 我可能一生只能碰到一个
Louise, a writer like Tom, I get one in a lifetime.
你这一生 也只有这么几个女儿
You get your daughters for the same lifetime.
对不起
I’m sorry.
跟孩子们道个别
Wave to the girls.
出发了 小姐们!
All right, ladies!
都准备好开始大冒险了吗?
Are you ready for our great adventure?
把门关上 亲爱的
Close your door, darling.
别一直这么担心路易丝
You gotta stop worrying about Louise so much.
她们很快就会回来的
They’ll be back before you know it.
汤姆 我们这是去哪儿?
Tom, where are we going?
啊 你等着瞧吧
Ah, you’ll see.
我们应该赶紧工作
We’re supposed to be working.
这也是工作的一部分
This is work.
我觉得如果你没有亲身体会过 给予我灵感的
I decided you can never appreciate the music of my book…
黑夜中的节奏
the tonality and cadence…
你是不能与我书中所表现的音乐和韵律
without experiencing the dark rhythms…
产生共鸣的
that inspire me.
– 威士忌!大杯的 – 你呢?
– Bourbon! In a big ol’ tumbler. – You?
一杯马蒂尼 纯的
Martini, please. Very dry.
给他也来一杯威士忌
He’ll have a bourbon.
没问题
You got it.
听到了吗 麦克斯?
You hear it, Max?
我不是很喜欢音乐
I don’t care much for music.
在你冷峻寡欲的灵魂深处 一定藏有野蛮奔放的一面
There’s a savage indictment of your grim, puritan soul.
来吧!
Come on!
一定有一首歌♥ 是你喜欢的
There must be one song you like.
《轻轻地流淌 甜美的亚顿河》
Flow Gently, Sweet Afton.
我比较偏爱《轻轻地流淌 甜美的亚顿河》这首歌♥
I’m partial to Flow Gently, Sweet Afton.
没问题 先生
You got it, sir.
你们的两杯威士忌
Two bourbons, gentlemen.
爵士最大的魅力在于 这些演奏的伙计都是真正的艺术家
The whole thing about jazz is that these fellas are artists.
他们通过对于音乐的理解
They interpret the song…
自己对一首歌♥进行重新组合 即兴表现
letting the music pour on out, riff upon riff…
就像我写作那样
just like I do with words.
让标准格式见鬼去吧
To hell with standard forms.
让福楼拜 亨利·詹姆斯见鬼去吧
To hell with Flaubert and Henry James.
要特立独行 对吧?
Be original. Hmm?
创造属于自己的风格
Blaze new trails.
就好像打破陈规的大猩猩
That’s the whole ugly gorilla.
打破陈规的大猩猩 没错
Ugly gorilla. Of course.
请听
There.
为你准备的亨利·詹姆斯式的标准版
That’s Henry James for you.
很舒缓 很熟悉 对吗?
It’s comfortable and familiar, isn’t it?
额哦
Uh-oh.
这是什么?
What’s that?
听起来就好像一只大猩猩 将所有的一切都打破了 不是吗?
Sounds like an ugly gorilla coming our way, don’t it?
这就是汤姆·乌尔夫!
That’s Tom Wolfe!
感受一下 麦克斯!
Feel it, Max!
我看见你的脚动了
I see your feet moving.
我看见你的膝盖也动了
I see your knees moving.
来吧 麦克斯!感受这种音乐吧!
Come on, Max! Feel it!
很好
Nice.
你看见那边 那两位漂亮的女士了吗?
You see those two fine ladies over there?
麦克斯 别表现得这么明显
Subtle. Max, please, subtle.
– 吧台那两位? – 嗯哼
– At the bar? – Well
我们过去吧 打声招呼
Let’s go over there, say hello.
– 走吧!我们放松一下 – 不行 不行
– Come on! Let’s have some fun. – I can’t. I can’t.
她们都成年了 麦克斯 没关系
They’re working girls, Max. It doesn’t count.
汤姆 对我来说 有关系
Yes, Tom, it does.
– 好吧 你不介意我… – 当然不
– Well, you don’t mind if I… – No.
我从来都不知道见好就收 对吗?
Hell, I never know when to stop, do I?
– 来三杯威士忌! – 好的
– Three bourbons! – You got it.
一 二 三
One, two, three.
还有你
And you, too.
我知道你在盯着我看
I saw you looking at me.
别担心 我不会把你冷落在一边的
Don’t worry, I ain’t gonna leave you out.
我会好好对待你们两个的 好吗?
I’m gonna want the both of you. All right?
来喝一杯
Let’s have a drink.
我告诉你一件事 我的朋友
I’ll tell you one thing, my friend.
你不会对海明威做出这种事
You wouldn’t do this to Hemingway.
也不会对菲茨杰拉德做出这种事
You wouldn’t do this to Fitzgerald…
对这两个不可冒犯之人 你根本不敢这么做!
not to your two goddamn sacred cows!
他们写的每一句话都是金子 是神来之笔!
Every word they write is golden genius!
够了!
Stop it!
我冥思苦想出来的东西 而你一句不合适
I bring you stuff wrenched right from my guts…
就把我给打发了
and you tell me it doesn’t fit.
今天就到这里 你回家吧
That’s enough. Go home.
什么?
What?
回家吧 好好睡一觉
Go home. Go to sleep.
不 不 不
No. No, no.
对不起
I’m sorry.
求你了 别让我自己回去 让我去你家吧
Please, don’t make me go home. Let me come home with you.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!