晚上好 很高兴认识你
Good evening. Nice to meet you.
你根本无法想像州立救济所 那里面是什么样子
You don’t know what they’re like, the state asylums.
畸形怪诞
Grotesque.
我不知道该怎么形容…
I don’t have the words. There…
在我的字典里 找不到合适的词
There are no words in my lexicon.
只能想到一个词 畸形怪诞
One word, no flourishes. Grotesque.
那里面时刻充斥着此起彼伏的尖叫声…
The screaming is constant and so…
是那么凄凉
desolate.
而且里面厕所也不够
They don’t have enough toilets.
我不能让塞尔达待在那种地方
I can’t let Zelda stay in such a place.
我知道
I know.
但私人的救济所费用又很高
But private asylums are expensive.
我也知道《盖茨比》没赚几个钱
I know Gatsby didn’t make any money.
但我只能靠它了 麦克斯
But I’m up against it, Max.
斯克里布纳公♥司♥不能再付你更多的预付金了
Scribner’s can’t give you any more advances.
报社也不肯刊登我的小说
The Post won’t even take any more of my stories.
我想我只能回好莱坞 再试一次了
I guess I could go back to Hollywood and give that another try.
我建议你别这么做
I hope you don’t do that.
– 为什么? – 因为你是个作家
– Why? – You’re a novelist.
现在不是了
Not anymore.
二十四岁时 我怎么就没死呢
I should have died when I was 24.
也好过受现在这种煎熬
Right after This Side of Paradise.
我寄给你那本书 你收到了吗?
Did you get that book I sent you?
哪一本?
Which?
《格兰特将军的回忆录》
General Grant’s memoirs.
你知道这本书他是怎样写成的吗?
Do you know how he came to write them?
这是个有趣的故事
This is interesting.
他当时深受喉癌的折磨
He was dying of throat cancer…
希望在死之前 为他的家人留下点可以回忆的东西
and he wanted to leave something behind for his family…
所以他就开始写自传
so he started writing his autobiography.
他每天从早写到晚
He worked every day for hours and hours.
他虽然疼痛难忍♥ 极度不适
He was in great pain, anguish…
但他始终没有停笔
but he just kept on writing.
最后 他发表了这本惊世骇俗的巨作
And in the end, he produced the most astounding book.
非常了不起
So very beautiful.
一点小小的心意 希望能帮你渡过难关
Just a little velvet to see you through.
我会写出一本好作品的
I’ll write you a great book.
我知道
I know.
珀金斯夫人
Mrs. Perkins.
伯恩斯坦夫人
Mrs. Bernstein.
你好
Hello.
你是这部剧的作者?
You’re designing this production?
是的
Yes.
我还有其他刚毕业的孩子们
Me and all the Lost Boys.
我们并不真正了解他们 不是吗?
We know a few of them, don’t we?
他年轻的时候 你不认识他
You didn’t know him when he was young.
当时他刚刚从哈佛毕业
He was fresh out of Harvard…
却已经满怀志向 准备开辟自己的天地
and he was all ready to carve up the world.
他跟我之前认识的人完全不一样
He was unlike anyone I’d ever met.
我能懂
I understand.
我不认为你能懂
I don’t think that you do.
这么说吧 我丈夫是个非常随和的人
You see, my husband is a very kind man…
但他完全不懂情趣
but he’s a man without color.
他跟那些走在华尔街 满脑子都是数字的人一样
He’s a man of Wall Street and numbers.
但我从没跟数字打过交道
I don’t understand numbers.
你有孩子吗 伯恩斯坦夫人?
You have children, Mrs. Bernstein?

Yes.
一个女儿 一个儿子
A daughter and a son.
他们都长大了
They’re grown.
当我发现自己爱上汤姆的时候 我意识到这是个错误
I did a foolish thing when I fell in love with Tom…
但我控制不住自己的情感
but I can’t help how I feel.
我的心被触碰了
My heart was touched.
在我人生最灰暗的时刻
At the very time in my life…
当所有美好的事物都离我而去
when everything beautiful was falling away…
没人需要我的时候 我遇见了汤姆
and no one needed me, I met Tom.
他让我重拾对生活的希望
And Tom made me feel beautiful again.
但现在我意识到因为你丈夫的出现 我快要失去他了
But I know now I’ve lost him to your husband.
伯恩斯坦夫人
Mrs. Bernstein.
我丈夫一直很想要一个儿子
My husband always wanted a son…
这是他最大的愿望
more than anything in the world.
但试了很多次都以失败告终 最后我们放弃了
We reached a point when we realized that wasn’t going to happen.
而就在这时 他遇见了汤姆
And then he met Tom.
我不能失去他
I can’t let him go.
艾琳 去和你自己的家人团聚吧
Aline, go home to your family.
他们需要你 而汤姆不需要
They need you. Tom doesn’t.
家 丈夫 还有自尊
Family, husband, dignity.
为了汤姆 我都舍弃了
I gave that all up for him.
汤姆
Tom.
进来吧
Come in.
汤姆?
Tom?
我写完了
I have it.
写完什么?
You have it?
新书
The new book.
你带了吗?
With you?
带了
Yes.
那好 让我看看
Well, let’s have it.
各位 拿进来吧
Bring it in, guys.
放在那里
Put it down there.
这些都是《时光与河流》?
This is Of Time and the River?
– 都抬进来了 – 谢谢你 先生
– Here you go. – Thank you, sir.
干得好
Well done.
你现在赶快回家 好好睡一觉
Now, go home and get some sleep.
– 我需要你… – 先让我看了再说
– I need you… – Let me read it.
好好看 好吗?
Read it kindly. Please?
[《纽♥约♥时♥报♥》《时光与河流》]
[托马斯·乌尔夫]
如果我们每天晚上进行讨论 在不被打扰的情况下
If we work every day in the evening, when we won’t be disturbed…
应该可以完成
we can do it.
– 要多长时间? – 九个月
– How long? – Nine months.
当然是在你努力配合
If you work hard and if you resist…
并且抑制住继续添加内容的冲动 的前提下
the temptation to add much more.
我还想继续完善
I have to be able to add more.
汤姆 这本书已经有五千页了
Tom, the book is 5,000 pages long.
我明白了
Point taken.
现在 先从第一页开始
Now, to begin, on page one.
天啊 第一页?
Oh, lord. Page one?
看这个地方 尤金在站台上等火车
Now, look here, you’ve given 80 pages to Eugene…
这段你都写了整整八十页
on the platform before the train arrives.
是不是应该在这里提到莉莉 才不会显得这么突兀?
That is, perhaps, gilding the lily a bit as to suspense?
谁等火车等这么久啊 除非是在等人
I mean, I’ll only wait so long for a train.
– 这是我打完的三个章节… – 给你 珀金斯先生
– Those three sections to me… – Here you are, Mr. Perkins.
当他遇见那个女孩时 你是这么写的
When he meets the girl, you’ve written this.
“正当尤金已经习惯眼前”
“As Eugene’s eyes became accustomed to the haze…
“满是烟卷 雪茄产生的烟雾 迷绕而成的混沌景象”
“of the cigarettes and cigars swirling miasma-like…
“他看见一个女人 穿着哔叽”
“he saw a woman, in serge…
“一双手套 像爬藤植物一般环绕在”
“and gloves that crept like living tendrils…
“她本应该白皙如雪的手臂上”
“up her normally ivory arms…
“而现在她的手臂却呈现一种迷人的红色”
“but now sun-kissed as a blush…
“就好比对世间万物充满好奇的动物学家”
“as the incarnadine discovery inside a conch shell…
“第一次发现贝壳当中红色的躯体般兴奋”
“seen for the first time by a bewildered zoologist…
“他被这种红润中透着淡淡粉色的肤色所吸引”
“as he is undone by its rosy, promising pinkness.
“这就是她的手臂”
“Those were her arms.
“但真正让他心跳加速 无法呼吸的”
“But it was her eyes that stopped his breath…
“是她那双迷人的眼睛”
“and made his heart leap up.
“蓝色的眼睛”
“Blue they were.
“虽然他穿着略显浮夸的大衣 周围烟雾弥漫”
“Even through the swirling vapors of pompous Chesterfields…
“眉宇间透露着一股自大”
“and arrogant Lucky Strikes…
“他还是忍♥不住盯着 她那双蓝得动人 似大海般透彻的眼睛”
“he saw her eyes were a blue beyond blue, like the ocean.
“蓝得深沉”
“Blue beyond blue.
“那是一种他愿意沉溺其中的蓝”
“A blue he could swim into forever…
“他愿意久久将其凝视 细数其中掺杂的其他颜色”
“and never miss a fire-engine red or a cornstalk yellow.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!