“and the soft stone smile of an angel…
“想必是被那晦暗不清的奇妙机遇所触碰了”
“is touched by that dark miracle of chance…
“为尘世增添了新的魔力”
“Which makes new magic in a dusty world.
“每一刻都是这四万年光景所孕育的”
“Each moment is the fruit of40, 000 years.
“日复一日 人们苍蝇般地飞向死亡寻找归宿”
“The minute-winning days, like flies, buzz home to death…
“每一刻都像是 可以窥视整个历史的一扇窗口”
“and every moment is a window on all time.
“就好像一个在极夜中 逐渐失去知觉的人”
“And like a man who is perishing in the polar night…
“他脑海中 一定闪回着他年轻时 那一大♥片♥葱郁的草地”
“he thought of the rich meadows of his youth…
“玉米”
“the corn…
“李子树…”
“the plum tree…
“…还有初熟的大麦”
“and ripe grain.
“为什么我在这里?”
“Why here?
“啊 迷失!”
“O lost!”
珀金斯先生 有你的电♥话♥
Mr. Perkins, you have a call.
汤姆的母亲打来的
From Tom’s mother.
乌尔夫夫人?
Mrs. Wolfe?
有谁得过这种病吗?
Who even heard of such a thing?
脑结核
Tuberculosis of the brain.
听起来像是现编的名字
Doesn’t even seem real.
就因为这突如其来的 奇怪的病 一个人就这么倒下了?
To be brought low by such a strange and sudden thing?
医生们已经在尽力抢救了
They’re doing everything they can.
我还能怪谁呢?
Who would credit it?
我现在还能怪谁呢?
Who would credit it, now?
怎么了?
What’s that?
这么多地方 他偏偏选择了这里
That he should end up here, of all places.
当汤姆倒下之后 他们把他送来这里进行手术
When Tom collapsed out west they brought him back here for the surgery.
他们说 这里是巴尔的摩最好的医院
Best place for it, they said. Right here in Baltimore.
但是他的父亲就是在这里去世的
His father died in this very hospital…
就死在走廊上
just along the hall.
看起来 汤姆的一生
It’s like Tom’s whole life is leading him…
就好比是一条河流 将他引领到了父亲门前
like a river, back to his father.
医生说他脑中长满了肿块
The surgeon said his brain was filled with tumors.
大量的肿块
A myriad of tumors.
他就是用的这个词
That’s the word he used…
“大量的”
“Myriad.”
我觉得汤姆会喜欢这种说法的
I think Tom would like that.
他们也无能为力了
There’s nothing they can do, you see.
医生说他只有几个星期可活了
The doctor said it was a matter of weeks.
也许在此期间能恢复意识 也许就这么一直睡过去了
Might regain consciousness, most likely not.
不 你陪着南希
No, you stay with Nancy.
你应该帮她做做思想准备
You should, you know, prepare her.
毕竟她最喜欢汤姆了
She always loved Tom the most.
“大量的”这个词的复数应该是在后面加个s
The plural of “myriad” is “myriads”, by the way.
乌尔夫先生?
Mr. Wolfe?
给我笔
Pencil.
不 不 乌尔夫先生 抱歉 请你躺好
Oh, no, Mr. Wolfe, I’m sorry, you just lie still.
我去叫医生来
I’ll get the doctor.
给我笔
Pencil.
下午好 珀金斯先生
Afternoon, Mr. Perkins.
下午好 詹姆斯
Afternoon, James.
[麦克斯韦尔·珀金斯(收)]
[约翰·霍普金斯医院]
亲爱的麦克斯
Dear Max…
我预感到自己的死亡
I’ve got a hunch.
所以把这些想对你说的话 写了下来
And I wanted to write these words to you.
我旅行了很长一段时间 来到一个陌生的国度
I’ve made a long voyage and been to a strange country…
和内心那个黑暗的自己面对面
and I’ve seen the dark man very close.
我不认为自己有多惧怕他
And I don’t think I was too much afraid of him.
但我最想做的事 还是活下去
But I want most desperately to live.
我想再和你见一面
I want to see you again.
我有好多痛苦 好多抱歉 想要对你说
For there is such impossible anguish and regret…
但已经没有机会了
for all I can never say to you…
我还有好多的想法 没有付诸实践
for all the work I have to do.
这感觉就像是一扇窗口被打开 你之前的一生在你眼前回放
I feel as if a great window has been opened on life.
如果我能安然度过
And if I come through this…
我希望自己能成为一个更好的人
I hope to God I am a better man…
做到不辜负你的期望
and can live up to you.
但最重要的是
But most of all…
我想告诉你 无论发生什么
I wanted to tell you, no matter what happens…
我对你的感受都不会改变
I shall always feel about you…
都会像十一月的那天
the way I did that November day…
当你来码头接我
when you met me at the boat…
我们爬上楼顶
and we went on top of the building…
一起感受生命的冷暖 荣耀以及它所散发出来的力量那样
and all the strangeness and the glory and the power of life were below.
你永远的朋友
Yours always…
汤姆
Tom.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!