There it is.
我拒绝了他们
I told them no.
你告诉他们你要考虑一下
You told them maybe.
你对所有人都是这么回答的
You tell everyone maybe.
而现在你要接受他们的开价
And now you’re going to tell them yes.
嘿 我想出去旅行一下
Hey, I’m thinking of taking a trip.
度个假
A vacation, like.
买♥♥一辆二手车 然后一直往前开
Buying an old car and just driving off.
可以去加利福尼亚看看
Maybe see California.
去看看那些阳光普照的地方
All those sun-kissed locales.
你为什么不一起去呢?
Why don’t you come?
我是认真的
I mean it.
让我们一同启程 再好好找一次乐子
Let’s hit the road and have some fun again.
就你和我
You and me.
像以前那样
Like it used to be.
就你和我
You and me…
屏蔽掉周围的所有人
No one else in the world even exists.
嗯… 就我们两个的二人世界
We’re in our own private cathedral.
这旅程听上去不是很有趣吗?
Doesn’t that sound like a momentous journey?
你需要花时间一个人静一下
You need to spend time alone.
我是个作家
I’m a writer.
我的工作就是一个人待着
All I do is spend time alone.
不 你写东西的时候 是和书里的角色待在一起的
No, you spend time with your characters.
你从没独♥立♥过
You’ve never been alone.
一开始有你的家人 然后有我
First you had your family, then you had me…
接着就是麦克斯
then you had Max.
你需要感受一下一个人的生活
You need to spend time alone.
看看到时候 你该如何度过自己的每一天
You need to look at how you move through your life.
你伤害了我
You hurt me.
接着又要伤害麦克斯 你不应该到处乱插刀子
You’re going to hurt Max. You shouldn’t hurt anyone else.
人是有感情的 感情不是虚构的
Human beings aren’t fiction.
你根本无法想像 我到底经历了什么
You have no idea what I had to go through…
才能把你放下
to get to where I am now.
而现在我能就这么看着你
So I can look at you…
但心里却
and feel…
毫无波澜
nothing.
你知道门在哪里
You know the way out.
[斯克里布纳之子公♥司♥]
[出版社&书商 创立于1846年]
我最后一次看见我父亲
The last time I saw my father…
是通过火车的车窗
I was standing at a train window…
当时我正准备北上 去上大学
when I went north to college.
列车缓缓开启 他的身影
He just got smaller and smaller…
却变得越来越小
as we pulled away…
直到最后他完全消失在我的视野之中
until I couldn’t see him anymore.
那列火车带领我走向自己的未来
That train carried me to my life.
翻过千山 趟过万水
Beyond the hills and over the rivers.
始终不变的是 河流永不停息地流淌
And always, the rivers run.
有时它会背离我的父亲 越淌越远
Sometimes they flow away from my father…
而有时 它又会流回他的门前
and sometimes they flow back to his door.
我能靠自己成功 这一点我必须证明
I have to prove I can do it by myself.
那就证明看看
Then prove it.
斯科特
Scott.
我知道事情过去一段时间了 但我还是想说声抱歉
I know it was a while ago but I’m sorry.
我是个该死的混♥蛋♥
I was a damn brute.
如果你现在把门摔在我脸上 我也不会怪你的
I wouldn’t blame you if you slammed the door in my face.
你不知道我为当时
You don’t know how sorry I am…
像那样和你 和塞尔达说话 有多自责
for talking to you and Zelda like that.
求你了 希望你原谅我
Please, say you forgive me.
信不信由你 我也喝醉过一两次
Believe it or not, I’ve been drunk myself once or twice.
谢谢
Thank you.
作为编剧来讲 我还是挺失败的
I’m still a bit of a washout as a screenwriter.
在没有灵感的时候 我确实写不出什么好东西
I just can’t make the grade as a hack.
即使是写剧本 也是需要不断练习的
Even that requires a certain practiced excellence.
我真的非常高兴能见到你 斯科特
I’m mighty glad to see you, Scott.
这几个月 我一直在到处走走看看
I’ve been rambling around for months now.
都没找到什么可以一起谈论作品的人
Haven’t had anybody to talk to about work.
啊 作品
Ah. Work.
我就想 应该找谁来谈谈呢?
I mean, who better to talk to?
一定是创造了不朽杰作的人
The man who created something immortal.
现在我一直被一个概念所困扰 并且越发的纠结
More and more, I trouble myself with that.
“传奇人物”
“The legacy.”
一百年后还有人记得托马斯·乌尔夫吗?十年后呢?
Will anyone care about Thomas Wolfe in 100 years? Ten years?
我年轻的时候 也几乎每天问自己这个问题
When I was young, I asked myself that question every day.
但现在 我常常自问“我还能写出一句好句子吗?”
Now, I ask myself, “Can I write one good sentence?”
你怎么能这么说呢?难道你不想被世人铭记?
How can you say that? Don’t you want to be remembered?
对于这种华而不实 天花乱坠的幻想
This Side of Paradise was just put out of print…
我早在十♥八♥年♥前就逐渐淡去了
for the first time in 18 years.
– 《盖茨比》会是下一部流传不息的杰作 – 不可能
– Gatsby will go next. – That’ll never happen.
你知道去年我依靠《盖茨比》的稿费 赚了所少钱吗?
You know how much I made in royalties on Gatsby last year?
两块一毛三
Two dollars and 13 cents.
但我不在乎 反正现在我有其他工作
But I don’t mind. I’m working now.
我的邻居是个配音演员
My next-door neighbor is a radio actress.
她偶尔会排练一下自己的尖叫声和笑声
She periodically rehearses her screams and laughter.
真让人不安
That’s a little disquieting.
噢 相信我 笑声还要可怕
Oh, the laughing’s worse. Trust me.
– 你最近跟麦克斯谈过吗? – 噢 别跟我提麦克斯
– You spoken to Max lately? – Oh, don’t talk about Max.
为什么 汤姆?
Why not, Tom?
我知道他是你朋友 但你无法想象
I know he’s your friend, but you have no idea.
他拖了我后腿
He crippled me.
毁了我的作品
He deformed my work.
他自己都承认了
He as much admitted it.
然后他还想把我的成功 全部归功于自己
And then he tried to take all the credit for my success.
他不是这种人 你知道自己伤他有多深吗?
He did no such thing. Do you know how much you hurt him?
我们那是互相伤害
We hurt each other.
别跟我油嘴滑舌的 汤姆
Don’t be glib with me, Tom.
你不知道他对我做了什么
You don’t know what he did to me.
– 他对你做了什么? – 啊哈
– What he did to you? – Ah!
他做了什么?他帮你实现了自己的所有梦想
What did he do? He made all your dreams come true.
他给了你一份工作 一个新的生活!
He gave you a career, a life!
你这回答也太官方了吧 我还以为你能说些与众不同的呢
There. The Scribner party line. I expected more from you.
当其他人都对你冷眼相向的时候 这个好心人选择了相信你
That decent man believed in you when nobody else would.
他将所有的希望和梦想 都倾注于你
He poured all his hopes and dreams into you.
所有他不曾做过的事 他都做了 所有他不曾触碰的文学形式 他都尝试了
All the things he would never do, all the books he would never write.
现在倒好 你却以不堪的谴责和冷漠来回报他
And now you repay him with ugly accusations and brutality.
你应该为自己感到羞耻!
You ought to be ashamed of yourself!
那个男人发掘了你 你却把这一份友谊
That man has a genius for friendship…
肆意丢弃
and you’ve squandered it.
总会有一天
There will come a day…
你不会像现在这样风光无限
when you’re not the success you are now.
你的路还长着呢 相信我
It’s a long road then, believe me.
为什么要伤害一个 愿意为你分担 愿和你同行的人的心呢?
Why hurt the one man who will walk on that road with you?
爸爸?
Daddy?
你好啊 小甜心
Hello, puppet.
为什么汤姆不来我们家了?
Why doesn’t Tom come around anymore?
噢 南希
Oh, Nancy.
汤姆需要一个人静一静
Tom needs some time for himself.
那他会回来吗?
Is he coming back?
应该不会了
I don’t think so.
知道吗 汤姆是那种
See, Tom’s the kind of fellow…
需要自己出去闯荡 喜欢自食其力的人
who needs to make his own way through life.
– 他是生我们气了吗? – 没有 亲爱的
– Is he mad at us? – No, honey.
没有 有时你身边的人 会就这么离开
No, sometimes people just go away.
他们必须成长 离家打拼
They have to grow up, leave home.
你也会经历这样的事情
It’ll happen to you, too.
可怜的爸爸 我也很想他
Poor Daddy. I miss him, too.
这样吧 你把他的书拿来
Tell you what. Get me his book.
“天意引领一个英国人与一个荷兰人相遇已足够奇怪了”
“A destiny that leads the English to the Dutch is strange enough…
“更别提从埃普索姆到宾夕法尼亚”
“but one that leads from Epsom into Pennsylvania…
“而后又走进那静矗于阿尔塔蒙特中的山谷中了”
“and thence into the hills that shut in Altamont…
“那循着日出时公鸡高亢的啼鸣”
“over the proud coral cry of the cock…
“还有天使温柔而坚毅的微笑之光”

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!