Dirt and dust all over, even on his face.
-他和别人打架了吗 -看起来不太像
-Had he been in a fight? -He didn’t look like that, sir.
比较像是在地窖里翻箱倒柜
More as though he’d been digging in a cellar or something.
喝杯咖啡吧
Have some coffee.
谢谢你 我已经吃过早餐了
Thank you, sir. I’ve had my breakfast already.
其实是在9号♥的厨房♥里吃的
Had it in the kitchen at Number 9, as a matter of fact.
南西早上有告诉你什么吗
Nancy tell you anything this morning?
我觉得南西在打男主人的主意
If you ask me, Nancy’s getting ideas above her station.
男主人好像告诉她
Seems the master told her…
夫人可能会出远门好一阵子
that her mistress might be going away for quite a long time…
他希望她可以留下来服侍他
and that he wanted her to stay and look after him.
男主人说夫人可能会出远门
The master told her her mistress might be going away?
是的
That’s right, sir.
-你说会去好一阵子 -没错
-A long time, you said? -Yes, sir.
你觉得这该如何解释
What do you think that means?
从你这几个礼拜告诉我的线索
From all you’ve told me these last weeks, I should say it could mean…
我判断有几种不太好的可能性
any one of a number of quite unpleasant things.
我今晚非进去探个究竟不可
I’ve got to get into that house tonight.
他在家时你绝对进不去
Not while he’s there.
-他每晚都外出吗 -是的
-He goes out every evening? -Right, sir.
今天吃过晚饭以后
Tonight after dinner.
南西说他吩咐她别让夫人见任何人
Nancy says he’s told her not to let her mistress see anyone.
那你就要确定南西今晚不会在家了
Then you’ll have to see that Nancy isn’t home tonight.
我很乐意能为警场效劳
Any little thing I can do for the Yard, sir.
我就知道你不会介意
I thought you wouldn’t mind.
还有一件事
There’s just one thing more though.
你怎么知道夫人会接见你
How do you know the lady herself will see you?
我不知道
I don’t know.
对了
Yes.
我想到了一个办法
I think there’s a way.
每晚都外出寻欢的人
“People who go every night to places of public amusement…
不太可能懂得享受
“can hardly enter into…”
你母亲发疯了
Your mother was mad.
每晚都外出寻欢的人
“People who go every night to places of public amusement…
不太可能懂得享受
“can hardly enter into the fresh gala feeling…
歌♥剧或音乐会所带来的
“with which an opera or a concert…”
她失了心死在精神病院里
She died in an asylum with no brain at all.
每晚带来愉悦 搭乘火车的舒适感受
“The snug comfort of the close carriage…
与人结伴同行的愉悦
“…the pleasure of setting out with companions…
看到树叶间星光闪烁
“…the sight of the stars glinting fitfully through the trees…”
抱歉 先生 夫人不接见任何人
I’m sorry, sir, but the mistress won’t see anyone.
是她告诉你的吗 你就是伊丽莎白吧
Did she tell you to say that? You’re Elizabeth, aren’t you?
你怎么会知道我的名字
How’d you know my name?
这栋房♥子里的事我可知道不少
I know many things about this house.
你很喜欢她吧 你应该愿意帮她吧
You’re fond of her, aren’t you? You’d like to help her, wouldn’t you?
你有机会帮她了
This is your chance
因为我是朋友 请你让我见她
because I’m a friend, and you’re going to let me see her.
不行 我不敢 你这样会害我被解雇的
No. I don’t dare, sir. I’d lose me place.
说真的 我不敢
Really, I don’t dare…
他不在家 我丈夫不在家
-He isn’t here. My husband isn’t here.
我知道 安东夫人
-I know that, Mrs. Anton.
我是来找你的
It’s you I want to see.
你走吧 我生病了 不能接待访客
Go away. I’m ill. I can’t see anyone.
伊丽莎白 阻止他 我没有邀请他来
Elizabeth, stop him. I didn’t ask him to come.
安东夫人 我是布莱恩·卡麦隆
Mrs. Anton, my name is Brian Cameron.
你不能进来 快走吧
You mustn’t come here. Go away.
我要给你这只手套 请你先看一下
Not until I’ve given you this. Look at it, please.
这是爱丽丝·奥奎斯几年前在柯芬园送给我的
Alice Alquist gave it to me years ago at Covent Garden.
当时我年纪还小 很仰慕她
I was a little boy overcome with admiration.
现在你肯相信我了吧
Now you’ll trust me, won’t you?
是你
You.
她把手套给了你
She gave it to you.
过了这么多年
After all these years…
原来她那个神秘的仰慕者就是一个小男孩
the great admirer she used to make such a mystery of. A little boy.
告诉我一件事 安东夫人
Tell me something, Mrs. Anton.
你有计划要出远门吗
Are you planning on going away somewhere?
出远门 没有啊 我无处可去
Go away? Why, no. I have nowhere to go.
除非是我丈夫要把我送走
Unless my husband sends me away.
这就是你的来意吗 带我走
Is that why you came here? To take me away?
你就这么害怕吗
Are you as frightened as all that?
抱歉 我很久没和别人交谈了
I’m sorry. I haven’t talked to anyone for a long time.
我也不能和你交谈 我不
I can’t talk to you, either. I’m not…
恐怕我
I’m afraid I…
你害怕自己会发疯
You’re afraid you’re going out of your mind.
我是来证明你没有发疯的
I’m here to prove to you that you’re not.
帮个忙 请你回答我几个问题
To help me do that, you’ve got to answer my questions. Tell me now…
请问你的丈夫在哪里
where is your husband now?
他去了哪里
Where has he gone?
他租了工作室 在那里谱曲
He has taken a studio where he can work on his composing.
他在家里无法工作 要安静才能专心
He can’t work in this house. He has to have it quiet.
告诉我 屋里除了你
Tell me, is there anyone else in the house now
我和伊丽莎白之外还有别人吗?
except us and Elizabeth?
-没有啊 怎么了 -煤气灯光刚才变弱了
-No. Why? -The gas just went down.
-你也看到了吗 -是啊
-You saw that, too? -Why, yes.
那就是真的了 我以为是我在幻想
Then it really happens. I thought I imagined it.
这表示有别人打开了煤气
That only means that someone else has turned it on.
我原本也这么以为 但我每晚都找遍了整个屋子
I thought that, too, but every night, I’ve been all over the house…
根本没有人打开别的煤气灯
and there’s never been another light turned on.
我终于有人可以倾吐了 每晚我丈夫一外出
At last I can tell this to someone. Every night when my husband goes out…
灯光就会变弱
The light goes down?
-是啊 -然后呢
-Yes. -And then what?
然后我好像听到怪声
Then I think I hear things.
我仔细看 静静地等着
I watch and wait.
-后来煤气灯光又变亮了 -结果他就回来了
-Later on, the gas goes up again. -And he comes back.
对 变亮之后他就回来了
Yes. Quite soon after.
每次都是变亮之后就回来了
Always quite soon after.
你说有听见怪声 什么声音
You say you think you hear things. What things?
从我的房♥间上方传来的怪声
Sounds. Noises over my room.
-楼上是什么 -整层楼都堆着大皮箱和家具
-What’s up there? -A whole floor of trunks and furniture.
-你指的就是这个声音吗 -对
-Is that what you meant? -Yes!
会是谁呢
But who?
安东夫人 你心知肚明吧
Mrs. Anton, you know, don’t you?
-你知道是谁在楼上 -我不知道
-You know who’s up there. -No.
-你真的不知道 -我不知道
-Are you sure you don’t? -No.
-他怎么可能上得去 -屋后有一条巷子
-How could he be? -There’s an alley behind these houses.
他从5号♥的后门去 那是空屋
He goes in the back of Number 5, that’s the empty one…
然后再从屋顶走回来
and then across the roof.
为什么
Why?
-你说过楼上堆放着旧家具 -我姨妈的
-You said there’s old furniture up there. -My aunt’s.
还有她的衣服 戏服 大皮箱
And her clothes, stage costumes, trunks,
全部都是她的东西
all of her things.
都是她的东西
All of her things?
他们还说这已经结案了呢
And they said the case was dead.
告诉我 他在屋里有没有放什么武器
Tell me, has he any weapons in the house?
有一把左轮手♥枪♥ 有何不可
He has a revolver. Why shouldn’t he?
你知不知道他放在哪里
Do you know where he keeps it?
好像是在他书桌的抽屉里
I think he has it in his desk in there.
你不能撬开他的书桌
You can’t open his desk.
不行 你没有权力这么做
No. You have no right to. Whoever you are,
不管你是谁都没有权力
you have no right to!
他会知道的 他会以为是我
He’ll know. He’ll think that I…
我该怎么对他交代呢
What should I say to him?
你什么话也不必说
You won’t have to say anything.
或许我今晚来找你是明智之举
Perhaps it’s a good thing I came tonight.
我说对了
I was right.
真的有一封信
There was a letter.
-署名确实是瑟吉斯·鲍尔 -你说什么
-And it was from Sergis Bauer. -What was that?
-你刚才说什么名字 -瑟吉斯·鲍尔
-What was that name you said? -Sergis Bauer.
我发现了这封信
I found this,
但我丈夫说是我在幻想 结果真有其物
but my husband said I dreamed, and now it’s here.
-鲍尔 -这封信一直放在这里