I stayed to help you put these things back.
我不知道我们会弄得这样凌乱
I’m sorry. I didn’t realize we made such a mess.
唯物主义放在哪个书架
Which shelf for materialism?
交给我好了
Just hand them to me.

Oh, no.
你们该感到羞耻
You should be ashamed of yourself.
我们通常不会那样擅闯进来的
Oh, I’m sorry. We don’t usually barge in that way.
你很能干 却把时间浪费在
I don’t mean that. I mean, a man of your ability
拍摄穿着难看裙子的
wasting his time photographing silly dresses
笨女人身上
on silly women.
人们认为
I don’t know. Most people think
美女身上美丽的裙子
they’re beautiful dresses on beautiful women.
顶多是人工化的美
At most, a synthetic beauty.
树林才是美丽
Trees are beautiful.
为何你不拍摄树林
Why don’t you photograph trees?
我以此维生 这跟供需有关
I do what I do for a living. It has to do with supply and demand.
你会惊讶树木照片的需求很少
You’d be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees.
我的工作舒适 待遇优厚
My work is very pleasant, the pay is excellent,
每年还可到巴黎一次
and I get a trip to Paris every year.
我很羡慕你
I certainly envy you that.
若我有钱 现在我也身处巴黎了
I’d be in Paris now if I could afford it.
你会出席舞会 每晚参加派对
You’d have a ball. You’d go to a party every night,
喝香槟 沐浴在香水中
drink nothing but champagne, swim in perfume,
每小时都有新恋情
and a new love affair every hour on the hour.
若我去巴黎
If I went to Paris,
就会去霍奕谋的讲座
it would be to go to Emile Flostre’s lectures.
谁会去巴黎听讲座
Who goes to Paris for lectures?
霍教授是在世的最伟大的哲学家
Professor Flostre is the greatest
也是感情移入论之父
living philosopher and father of empathicalism.
什么是感情移入论
What’s empathicalism?
是达致理解和平静的
The most sensible approach to true understanding
最佳方法
and peace of mind.
-听来不错 但它是什么 -以共鸣为依据
-Sounds great, but what is it? -It’s based on empathy.
你明白共鸣的意思吧
Do you know what the word empathy means?
不 我要上初学者课程才行了
No. I’ll have to have the beginner’s course on that one.
共鸣是否与同情相似
Empathy? Is it something like sympathy?
它比同情更深入
Oh, it goes beyond sympathy.
同情是了解别人的感受
Sympathy is to understand what someone feels.
共鸣是突出你的想像力 让你实际感受到
Empathy is to project your imagination so you actually feel
别人的感觉
what the other person is feeling.
把自己置身于别人的位置
You put yourself in the other person’s place.
我说得清楚吗
Do I make myself clear?
为何你那样做
Why did you do that?
共鸣 我设身处地 感到你想被吻
Empathy. I put myself in your place, and I felt that you wanted to be kissed.
你置身于错误的位置了
I’m afraid you put yourself in the wrong place.
我没有渴望被你或任何人亲吻
I have no desire to be kissed, by you or anyone else.
别傻了 每人都想被吻
Don’t be silly. Everybody wants to be kissed,
即使是哲学家
even philosophers.
抱歉 我们没有你找的东西
I’m sorry, Mr. Avery. We don’t stock what you’re looking for.
-我送你出去 -不用了
-I’ll let you out. -Don’t bother.
我自己走吧
I’ll throw myself out.
再见
Goodbye.
我被教育不该表达自己内心
I was taught that I ought not expose my inner senses
还没准备接受男人
Had no plan for a man
我充满自卫
I was full of self-defenses
现在我该面对哲学研究的
Now I feel that I really should face the consequences
后果
My philosophic search
它让我陷入困境
has left me in the lurch
我肯定知道 为何我的思想像舞者般跳动
I must find why my mind is behaving like a dancer
要追寻什么线索呢
What’s the clue to pursue?
因为我得有答案
For I have to have the answer
我可以流下咸咸的泪水
I could cry salty tears
我这些年都在做什么
Where have I been all these years?
有乐趣吗 还是我该逃掉
Is it fun? Or should I run?
这样已经多久了
How long has this been going on?
我脊背发凉
There were chills up my spine
有些颤栗我无法说清
And some thrills I can’t define
表现出来了吗 谁会知道
Does it show? And who would know?
这样已经多久了
How long has this been going on?
我感觉自己要融化
Oh, I feel that I could melt
在天堂中
Into heaven I’m hurled
我知道哥伦布
I know how Columbus felt
发现新世界
finding another world
的感受
Can I trust how I feel?
这是我的致命弱点吗
Is this my Achilles heel?
看着我
Look at me
我完全迷失了
I’m all at sea
这样已经多久了
How long has this been going on?
太好了
This is grand!
太棒了
This is great!
我感觉
I’m in such
如此快乐
a lovely state!
一个吻
Can one kiss
就能这样吗
do all of this?
-你认为怎样 -都是出色的模特儿
-Well, Dovitch, what do you think? -They’re all good models.
-你脑子里在想什么 -狂想
-What have you got in mind? -A fantastic idea.
以前没有人想过真是出奇
It staggers me that nobody’s ever thought of it before.
我要选一个女孩做优秀女郎
I’m going to select a girl to be the QUALITY woman.
她会成为杂♥志♥的代表
This one girl will represent everything the magazine stands for.
好噱头
It’s a great gimmick.
任何模特儿也能胜任
Well, any one of these models would be all right.
她不单要胜任 还要有气派
She’s got to be more than all right. She’s got to have bozazz.
巴黎最伟大的设计师会
An entire collection is going to be designed for her
为她设计时装
by the greatest couturier in Paris.
-杜保罗 -对 杜保罗
-Paul Duval? -Yes, Paul Duval.
他会在发表会前让我们
And get this, he’s going to let us photograph the collection
进行拍摄
before the opening.
我们会压倒所有其他杂♥志♥
We’ll scoop every other magazine.
-你吃惊吧 -我难以置信
-It staggers you, doesn’t it? -I can’t believe it.
他会被《时尚芭莎》 《时尚》
Why, he would be barred from Harper’s Bazaar
和所有其它杂♥志♥杯葛的
and Vogue and all the other fashion magazines!
胡说 计划若成功我们便是英雄
Nonsense. If the project comes off, we’ll all be heroes.
先看看我有什么
Wait till you see what I’ve got!
是优秀女郎
The girl. The QUALITY woman.
-玛莲 -忘记她
-Oh, Marion. -Oh, forget about Marion.
这是我提过的那个女孩
This is the other girl I’m talking about.
书店那个东西
That thing from the bookshop?
美琪 她是新人 有新鲜感
Maggie, she’s new. She’s fresh.
你疯了
You’ve gone out of your mind.
不能否认她很独特 她是谁
But one can’t deny that she is unusual. Who is she?
别问 想起也会打颤的
Don’t even ask. The thought of her makes me shudder.
可怕女孩 若这是个玩笑…
Dreadful, dreadful girl. Dick, if this is some sort of joke…
不是玩笑 我们替她改头换面
This is no joke. If we do her over and fix her up,
她会很美的
she’d be great for us.
-她只会折磨我们 -别这样 美琪
-She’d devour us all. -Come on, Maggie.
看她
Well, look at her.
我觉得她的面孔很滑稽
I think her face is perfectly funny.
优秀女郎要大方高贵和有气派
The QUALITY woman must have grace, elegance and bozazz.
我第一次看到你缺乏想像力
This is the first time I’ve ever seen you lack imagination.
《优秀》的女孩全都高贵 有气派
Every girl on every page of QUALITY has grace, elegance and bozazz.
找个秀外慧中的女孩
Now, what’s wrong with bringing out a girl
又如何
who has character, spirit and intelligence?
那会是时装杂♥志♥的创新
That certainly would be novel in a fashion magazine.
我会请你喝酒
Sir, I owe you a drink.
可否给我放大一点
Can you make me some black-and-white enlargements?
-好的 -用我们的黑房♥吧
-Yes. -Use our darkroom.
-让我考虑一下 -你认真起来了
-Let me study the possibilities. -Now you are talking.
-我没有答应什么 -你不用的
-I’m not promising anything! -You don’t have to.
他像老板般指指点点
Runs around here like he owns the magazine.
丽缇 记得书店那个怪物吗
Lettie, remember that creature in the bookshop?
叫她来 订购一些书籍

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!