请求多宽限几天 好象她在喘着最后一口气
“asking for more time as if she were gasping for her last breath of air.
她紧紧地抱着我 眼泪不停地留
“She held me as tight as she could and cried.
她的眼泪像子弹一样击打着我的衣服
“Her tears hit my shirt like bullets
告诉我我们已经无家可归
and told me we were being evicted.
她不断地向我说着抱歉 我知道 我已经没了家
“She kept apologizing to me. I thought, ‘I have no home.
我应该在圣诞节的时候 要求一些便宜的礼物
“‘I should have asked for something less expensive at Christmas. ‘
在那天被赶出去的早上 我被一通粗鲁的敲门声惊醒
“On the morning of the eviction, a hard knock on the door woke me up.
警长在那里安排工作
“The sheriff was there to do his job.
我仰望天空等待一切的到来
“I looked up at the sky, waiting for something to happen.
我妈妈没有家里人可以依靠 没有收入
“My mother has no family to lean on, no money coming in.
为什么要来上学或我 都没家了还要好分数干什么
“Why bother coming to school or getting good grades if I’m homeless?
公车停在了学校前面 我想要呕吐
“The bus stops in front of the school. I feel like throwing up.
我穿着去年穿过的衣服 鞋子 没有再剪过头发
“I’m wearing clothes from last year, some old shoes and no new haircut.
我一直在想我会被嘲笑
“I kept thinking I’d get laughed at.
然而 这里那么多朋友与我问好
“Instead, I’m greeted by a couple of friends
去年那句谁在英语班级里
“who were in my English class last year.
触动了我 格鲁威尔女士
“And it hits me, Mrs. Gruwell,
去年以来我的疯狂的英语教师
“my crazy English teacher from last year,
是唯一让我重新拥有希望的人
“is the only person that made me think of hope.
与朋友们谈论上一年的英语和我们的旅行
“Talking with friends about last year’s English and our trips,
我开始感觉更好了
“I began to feel better.
在203室我收到我的课程表
“I receive my schedule
迎来了第一个老师格鲁威尔女士
and the first teacher is Mrs. Gruwell in Room 203.
我走进教室 感觉
“I walk into the room and feel as though
生活中的所有问题不再那么重要
“all the problems in life are not so important anymore.
我回家了
“I am home.”
是的 你回家了
Yes, you are.
你是个荣誉学生
But you’re an honors student.
如果你调入格鲁威尔女士的班级
If you transfer to Ms. Gruwell’s class,
你想想那会给你的学习记录多少难看
Think how that will reflect on your records.
我不在乎这些 我的学习还会跟以前一样好
It doesn’t matter to me. My grades will still be the same.
听着 坎贝尔夫人
Look, Ms. Campbell.
我第一次转入这个学校的时候 我的平均基点是4 0
When I first transferred to the school, I had a 4.0 average.
当我申请更高级的英语和数学课程时
But when I applied for advanced placement at English and Math,
我被告知与同样学习优秀的人 在一个班对我更好
I was told it would be better for me to be in a class with my own kind.
然而现在我确实进去了 我的老师说
Now, when I did get in, my teacher said,
“维多利亚 不是每天都能
“Victoria, it’s not every day one finds
在跳级和荣誉课程中发现非裔学生”
an African-American student
好象我没有注意到一样
“in A. P. And honors courses. ” As if I didn’t notice.
当我问另一个荣誉教师
And when I asked another honors teacher
为什么我们不读些黑人文学 她说
Why we don’t read more black literature, she said,
“我们不读黑人文学 是因为黑人文学都是性
“We don’t read black literature because of all the sex,
毒品 脏话和乱♥伦♥
“drugs, cussing and fornication!”
我想一句”不适合” 就足够表达她的思想
I thought a simple “It’s inappropriate” would have sufficed.
艾林不能那么做
Erin can’t do that!
卓越的荣誉学生是我的
Distinguished Honor Students are mine.
她没资格教他们 她才来这里一年
She’s not allowed to teach them. She’s only been here a year.
学生自己要求的
The student requested it.
而且格鲁威尔得到了柯恩的支持
And Gruwell has got Cohn in her back pocket.
对我来说 他们就是暴♥力♥
What gets me is they’re violent,
破坏法律 毁坏学校财物
they break laws, they destroy school property
到最后我们要把他们变得那么特殊 还要奖励他们…
And in the end we make them special. We reward them like…
我只是不明白她是怎么教的
I just don’t see what that teaches them.
嗨 对不起我迟到了
Hi! Sorry I’m late.
你吃过了吗 我马上去订菜 饿了吗
Did you eat? I’m ordering in. Are you hungry?
你到底想先问我哪个问题
What question do you want me to answer first?
问我吃了没还是饿了没 我吃了 我不饿
Did I eat or am I hungry? I ate. I’m not hungry.
今天发生了不可思议的事情 我得到了一个荣誉学生
Something really cool happened today. I got an honors student.
-祝贺你 -是不是很棒
-Congratulations. -Isn’t that great?
她实际上是要求来我班里
She actually requested my class.
你教得了一个荣誉学生吗
Can you teach an honors student?
你什么意思
What do you mean?
我只是说 你很适合教你现在这类孩子
Well, I mean, you’re used to teaching your kind of kids.
你教得了那些聪明的孩子吗
Can you teach somebody who’s smart?
我当然可以
Of course I can.
但你从来没教过 对吧
Yeah, but it’s not like you have, right?
我是说你不像其他教师一样行教
I mean, you don’t really teach what everybody else teaches.
我的孩子们的成绩已经升到B了
My kids’ grades are up to B’s.
是的 但那是只是对你来说
Yeah, but the point is, that’s according to you.
似乎他们没有像正常孩子学的那样进行学习
It’s not like they’re really learning what normal kids have to learn.
正常孩子 他们当然是正常孩子
Normal kids? Yes, they are.
他们正在阅读《安妮·弗兰克日记》
They’re reading The Diary of Anne Frank.
他们正在学习词汇 语法 写作和诗歌♥
They’re learning vocabulary, grammar, writing, poetry.
好了 我道歉 对不起
All right. Okay, I apologize. Sorry.
恭喜你
Congratulations.
你这是怎么了
What is wrong with you?
在黛比的晚会上 我听见你告诉别人
You know, at Deb’s party, I heard you telling people
我是建筑师 我现在的工作是临时的
That I was an architect and that my job was temporary.
我希望你不要再那么说了 行吗 我喜欢我现在的工作
I want you to stop that, all right? I like my job.
好吧
Fine.
可你说你会成为一名建筑师
You’re the one who said you were gonna be an architect.
是的 那是四年前的事 在我们结婚之前
Yeah, four years ago, before we got married.
怎么 难道让我现在回到学校去
What, I’m gonna go back to school now
学习两年然后实习三年
For two years and intern for three?
那时候我就40了
I’ll be over 40.
好吧 你还是想做的
All right. I thought you still wanted it.
我想不想做不要紧 艾林
It doesn’t matter if I want it, Erin.
也不是意味着我一定会成为建筑师
It doesn’t mean it’s going to happen.
为什么不会
Why not?
像我这样的人写日记确实是件奇怪的事
“Writing in a diary is a really strange experience for someone like me.
不仅因为我之前从来没写过
“I mean, not only because I’ve never written anything before,
而且我觉得过不了多久
“but also because it seems to me that later on,
包括我和任何人都会 对一个13岁的女学生的思想
“neither I nor anyone else will be interested
失去兴趣
“in the musings of a 13-year-old schoolgirl.”
外面正发生着可怕的事情
“Terrible things are happening outside.
每时每刻都在发生
“At any time of day,
贫穷无助的人们被拖出自己的家
“poor helpless people are being dragged out of their homes.
家庭被破坏
“Families are torn apart.”
要是我能做我自己我就满足了
“If only I can be myself, I’ll be satisfied.
我知道我是个内心坚强的女人
“I know that I’m a woman with inner strength
拥有无比的勇气
“and a great deal of courage.
如果上帝让我存活 我会比妈妈更有成就
“If God lets me live, I’ll achieve more than Mother ever did.”
反犹太的教令迅速的被传达了下去
“Anti-Jewish decrees followed in quick succession.
犹太人必须穿一件黄色带星衣服 犹太人必须上缴自行车
“Jews must wear a yellow star. Jews must hand in bicycles.
犹太人不准乘电车 不准开车
“Jews are banned from trams and forbidden to drive.”
犹太人不准去剧院
“Jews are forbidden to visit theaters,
电影院和其他娱乐场所
“cinemas and other places of entertainment.”
犹太人不准参加公共体育赛事
“Jews may not take part in public sports.
不准到室内游泳池 网球场 曲棍球场
“Swimming baths, tennis courts, hockey fields
和其他体育场地
“and other sports grounds are all prohibited.”
我无法告诉你外面是多么压♥迫♥ 以至于你根本无法出门
“I can’t tell you how oppressive it is never to be able to go outdoors.
我很害怕我们会被发现并被枪杀
“Also, I’m very afraid that we will be discovered and be shot.”
没有人能躲避冲突 整个世界都处在战争的旋涡
“No one can keep out of the conflict. The entire world is at war.
即使同盟国占据了优势
“And even though the Allies are doing better,
可离战争结束是那么的遥遥无期
“the end is nowhere in sight.”
嗨
Hi.
什么时候安妮会干掉希♥特♥勒♥
When is Anne gonna smoke Hitler?
-什么 -你知道的 枪决他
-What? -You know. Take him out?
嫒娃 这是《安妮·弗兰克日记》 不是《虎胆龙威》
Eva, this is “The Diary of Anne Frank”, not “Die Hard”.
继续读下去
Keep reading.
我们谈论最隐私的东西
“We talked about the most private things,
但我们还没有谈及那些触动心灵深处的东西
“but we haven’t yet touched upon the things closest to my heart.
我对彼得一点也不了解
“I still can’t make heads or tails of Peter.
他很肤浅吗
“Is he superficial?
或者是太害羞了不敢在我面前表达自我
“Or is it shyness that holds him back, even with me?”
-安妮和彼得会在一起吗 -我不会告诉你的
-Are Anne and Peter gonna hook up? -I’m not telling you.
对我来说在混乱 痛苦和死亡上
“It’s utterly impossible for me to build my life on a foundation
建立自己的生活是完全不可能的
“of chaos, suffering and death.
我看着这个世界慢慢地变成一片荒野
“I see the world being slowly transformed into a wilderness.
我感觉到万众的痛苦 当我仰望天空
“I feel the suffering of millions, and yet when I look up at the sky