枪声充斥着整个城市
There have been shots fired.
洛杉矶地区正发生着平民骚乱
Total civil unrest is happening throughout the Los Angeles area.
大量警♥察♥涌向街头
Dozens of police are running down the streets.
烟雾笼罩着整个城市
Smoke reigned over the entire city.
我们要提醒所有在南中心市区的人们
We’re telling anybody who’s in downtown South Central…
目前已超过38人死亡
There are 38 dead and more than…
紧急医疗救援小队艰难地进入到
The EMT are having a hard time getting in…
自♥由♥作家
卡车司机丹尼雷金纳德被拖出车外
where truck driver Reginald Denny was pulled from his vehicle…
给我正义 给我和平
加尼弗尼亚 洛杉矶 1992年
这个城市就像一个战区
The city resembles a war zone.
人群聚集到市区帕克中心
Crowds gathered at Parker Center downtown.
在好莱坞多家商店被抢
here in Hollywood, where looters have struck many businesses.
已有3600间房♥屋被烧
There have been 3,600 structural fires.
浓密的黑烟从无数的火堆中升起
Thick, black smoke rising from the countless fires
在罗德尼·金
骚乱后的一个月之内
又有120人在长岛丧生
好莱坞市中心 康普敦 瓦茨 长滩
in Hollywood, downtown, Compton, Watts and Long Beach…
帮派暴♥力♥空前猖獗
种族间的局势空前紧张
改编自伍德罗·威尔森.H.S 203班级学生的日记
作文 名字/编号♥ 嫒娃的日记
在美国
In America,
凭借美貌与幽雅
a girl can be crowned a princess
一个女孩子可以成为公主
for her beauty and her grace.
但阿兹台克的公主是由她的血统决定
But an Aztec princess is chosen for her blood…
嫒娃
Eva?
嫒娃 爸爸是怎么跟你说的
如巴比和他的父亲一样为人♥民♥而战
to fight for her people, as Papi and his father fought
与那些说我们低他们一等
against those who say we are less than they are,
说我们缺少他们的美貌和上帝眷顾的人而战斗
who say we are not equal in beauty and in blessings.
那个时候是我第一天上学
It was the first day of school,
我在等父亲把我送上公交车
and I was waiting for my father to take me to the bus.
罗伯特
Roberto!
嫒娃
Eva!
然后我第一次目睹了战争
And I saw the war for the first time.
嫒娃 嫒娃
Eva! Eva!
警♥察♥ 开门
Police! Open up!
他们以报复罪抓走了我的父亲
They took my father for retaliation.
他是清白的 但他们带走了他
He was innocent, but they took him,
因为他受我们的人尊敬
because he was respected by my people.
他们称我们的人为黑帮 是因为我们为我们的美国而战
They called my people a gang because we fight for our America.
站起来
On your feet!
当我开始我的帮派生活时
When I got my initiation into the gang life,
我成了第三代
I became third generation.
在他们的殴打下你变得坚强
They beat you so you won’t break.
他们是我的家人
They are my family.
在长滩 一切取决于你的肤色
In Long Beach, it all comes down to what you look like.
如果你是拉丁美洲人 亚洲人或黑人
If you’re Latino or Asian or black,
每次出门你都有可能被杀
you could get blasted any time you walk out your door.
我们彼此为领地而战
We fight each other for territory.
我们为种族荣誉和尊严而互相撕杀
We kill each other over race, pride and respect.
我们为本属于自己的而战
We fight for what is ours.
他们以为这一刻将我踩在脚下就赢了
They think they’re winning by jumping me now,
很快他们所有人都将灭亡
but soon they’re all going down.
战争宣告开始
War has been declared.
-喝杯咖啡 -谢谢
-Here’s your coffee. -Thank you.
一年级 1994年
我非常希望你过目一下我的教学计划
I brought my lesson plans. I’d love it if you’d look them over.
好的 这些是你开始要教的课程
Yes, and these are the classes you’ll start with.
教一年级英语 四个班 一共150名学生
Freshman English, four classes, about 150 students in all.
一些人刚从少管所出来
Some of them are just out of juvenile hall.
一两个可能还被带着脚铐以便监控他们的行踪
One or two might be wearing ankle cuffs to monitor their whereabouts.
你得明白 我们要修改一下你的教学计划
And you see here, we’ll have to revise your lesson plans.
如果你看了他们的分数 那么这些词汇列表
And if you look at their scores, these vocabulary lists
还有一些书 比如荷马的《奥德赛》
and some of these, the books, Homer’s The Odyssey,
对他们来说难度太大
they’re gonna be too difficult for them.
好吧
All right.
还有 对于大部分来到这里的学生
Also, for most of them to get here
几乎要花90分钟乘三辆公车才能到校
it takes three buses, almost 90 minutes each way.
天哪
My God.
所以如果是我就不会给他们太多作业
So I wouldn’t give them too much of a homework load.
不然你是浪费大量时间 做些吃力不讨好的工作
You’ll just be wasting a lot of time following up on overdue work.
好的 谢谢
All right. Thank you.
-你来自新港海滩 -是的
-You’re from Newport Beach? -Yes.
很可惜你两年前没来这里
It’s too bad you weren’t here even two years ago, you know.
我们曾是这个地区 教学分数最高的学校之一
We used to have one of the highest scholastic records in the district,
但自从实行自愿混合措施以来
but since voluntary integration was suggested,
我们失去了75%的最佳学生
we’ve lost over 75% of our strongest students.
其实我选择威尔逊高中 就是因为这个混合项目
Well, actually, I chose Wilson because of the integration program.
我认为这里正在发生的 一切都很刺♥激♥ 你说呢
I think what’s happening here is really exciting, don’t you?
我父亲参与了民权运
My father was involved in the civil rights movement.
我还记得当时我在电视上看到洛杉矶骚乱
And I remember when I was watching the LA riots on TV,
那时我就想去上法律学校
I was thinking of going to law school at the time.
后来我认为
And I thought, “God, by the time
“等到你在法庭上为孩子辩护的时候
“you’re defending a kid in a courtroom,
我们已经失去了战争”
the battle’s already lost.”
我认为真正的斗争应该在课堂上
I think the real fighting should happen here in the classroom.
那可真是
Well, that’s a very
充满激♥情♥的表述
well-thought-out phrase.
艾林
Erin,
我认为你是个可爱聪明的女人
I think you’re a lovely, intelligent woman.
但你是第一次当教师
But you’re a first-time teacher.
作为这个部门的头 我得十分确定
As head of this department, I have to be confident
你能胜任应付我们现在面临的一切
you’re capable of dealing with what we have to face here.
我能行
I am.
我知道作为教师还要学习很多东西
I know I have a lot to learn as a teacher,
但我是个很优秀的学生
but I’m a really good student.
我真的希望能留在这里
I am, and I really want to be here.
-珍珠很好看 -谢谢 我父亲送的
-Those are lovely pearls. -Thank you. From my father.
我不会带着这个进教室
I wouldn’t wear them to class.
宝贝
Honey?
怎么了
What?
我看起来像个老师吗
Do I look like a teacher?
“猪头”
嘿
Hey!
“杰出的学生 荣誉班级”
“格鲁威尔老师”
嘿 克里斯 怎么了
Hey, Chris, yo, what up?
-你好 -你好
-Hello. -Hello.
嘿 伙计我们坐这里
Hey, yo, let’s sit right here, man.
嗨
Hi.
嘿 女人 你想摇一下给我来些油炸
Hey, girl, you wanna give me some fries with that shake?
我的名字是艾林·格鲁威尔 欢迎来到大一英语课
My name is Erin Gruwell. Welcome to Freshman English.
我打赌这娘们熬不过一星期
I give this bitch a week.
嗨
Hi.
好了 布兰迪·罗斯
Okay. Brandy Ross?
格洛里亚·穆尼
Gloria Munez.
亚历桑德罗·圣地亚哥
Alejandro Santiago.
安德烈·布赖恩特
Andre Bryant.
嫒娃·本尼特丝
Eva Benitez.
嫒娃 不是伊娃
Eva, not Eva.
嫒娃
Eva.
我要去厕所
I have to go to the bathroom.
-记住带上 -我知道
-Okay, make sure that you take a… -Yeah, I know.
本·塞缪尔
Ben Samuels?
这白色人♥渣♥看是进错了教室
That white boy hoping he’s in the wrong room.
我要赶快离开这个教室
I gotta get out of here.
-信德·尼戈尔 -这里
-Sindy Ngor. -Right here.
是这样读吗
Is that correct?
-贾马尔·希尔 -伙计 我在这里到底干什么
-Jamal Hill? -Man, what am I doing in here?
这个垃圾班级还有人来
This whole ghetto-ass class has got people in here
就像一堆屎
looking like a bad rerun of Cops and shit.
你知道我说什么 这是事实
You know what I’m saying? It’s true.
-你是贾马尔 -是
-Are you Jamal? -Yeah.
他们把你安排在这个教室肯定有一些理由