我意识到
I realized that
我为挽留他所做的一切
everything I’d done hoping that he’d stay…
我做的一切 一点意义都没有
everything I’d done, it didn’t mean shit.
毫无意义
Didn’t matter.
我就觉得 “那有什么用呢”
And I felt like, “What difference does it make?”
但现在
But now…
现在我在想
Now I’m thinking…
我真的可以有所作为
I could really do something, you know.
我这次终于可以为自己做点什么
I could really do something for me this time, you know…
不然我就要消失了
otherwise I’m just gonna disappear.
好了 弗吉尼娅 这个问题的讨论结束了
All right, Virginia, I guess that ends the discussion on this issue.
所以一张狗证的价格从3.5美元涨到4.5美元
And so the price of a dog license will go from $3.50 to $4.50.
有证的宠物才会幸福快乐
A licensed pet is a happy one.
这样老问题就解决了吧 伯林顿
And that takes care of old business. Burlington?
谢谢 弗吉尼娅 非常好
Thank you, Virginia. It was real good.
好了 现在大家可以商议新问题了
All right. Now we can consider any new business.
稍等一下
Wait. Excuse me.
在我们开始前 我想再提醒一下孩子们
Before we begin, I just want to remind all you kids…
我们在进行的是一场正式会议
we’re conducting an official meeting.
我们不会容忍♥任何干扰
We’re not gonna tolerate any disturbances.
尽情舞蹈
有新问题的现在可以提了
The floor is now open for any new business.
我叫伦·麦克考马科 我想代表
My name is Ren McCormack and I would like to move on behalf…
波蒙特高中大部分毕业班的同学
of most of the senior class of Bomont High School
建议废除在波蒙特镇内
that the law against public dancing
公开场合禁止跳舞的禁令
within the town limits of Bomont be abolished.
主席先生 可以让我回应这个提议吗
Mr. Chairman, could I address myself to this?
当然可以
You bet.
就算这不是条法律
Even if this was not a law…
虽然确实是
which it is…
恐怕我也很难赞同施行
I’m afraid I would have a lot difficulty endorsing an enterprise…
像这样危险的邪恶举措
which is as fraught with genuine peril as I believe this one to be.
除了酒精和毒品的危害
Besides the liquor and drugs,
众所周知 此类活动常常会涉及到酒精毒品
which always seem to accompany such an event…
伦 我更加担忧的是
the thing that distresses me even more, Ren…
随之而来的精神污染
is the spiritual corruption that can be involved.
那种舞蹈和音乐会带来毁灭性的影响
These dances and this kind of music can be destructive.
而且 伦 恐怕你会发现
And, Ren, I’m afraid you’re gonna find…
我们这个社区中绝大多数人
that most of the people in our community
在这事上都会赞同我的说法
will agree with me on this.
我同意
I do.
-我就说这么多 -这项提议可以开始投票了
– That’s all I have to say. – I believe a vote is in order on the motion.
-请反对提议的人 -抱歉 我…
– Will all those opposed… – Excuse me, I…
-我有些话想说 -请坐下
– I would like to say something. – Please sit down.
这真是太过分了
This is outrageous!
-如果你觉得我们… -埃莉诺 坐下
– If you think that we’re… – Eleanor, sit down.
我觉得麦克考马科有权发表意见
I think Mr. McCormack has a right to be heard.
对于这项提议 我只想说几句
I just wanted to say a few words about this motion…
这样你们就不会觉得我们是
so that you wouldn’t think that we were…
借此想法 鼓励搞破坏
encouraging destruction with this idea.
从远古时期起
From the oldest of times,
人们都会因为各种原因跳舞
people danced for a number of reasons.
他们通过舞蹈来祈祷
They danced in prayer…
以求庄稼能有好收成
or so that their crops would be plentiful…
或者求打猎能满载而归
or so their hunt would be good.
他们也会通过舞蹈保持健美
And they danced to stay physically fit…
彰显他们的集体精神
and show their community spirit.
他们还会用舞蹈来庆祝
And they danced to celebrate.
我们所说的正是这种舞蹈
And that is the dancing we’re talking about.
《诗篇》第149篇不是说了吗
Aren’t we told in Psalm 149?
“你们要赞美主
“Praise ye the Lord.
向主唱新歌♥
Sing unto the Lord a new song.
愿他们跳舞赞美祂的名”
“Let them praise his name in the dance.”
阿门
Amen.
正是大卫王
And it was King David…
我们在《撒母耳记》中读到的大卫王
King David, who we read about in Samuel.
大卫做了什么
And what did David do?
大卫做了什么 大卫做了什么
What did David do? What did David do?
“大卫在耶♥和♥华♥面前极力跳舞
“David danced before the Lord with all his might…
在耶♥和♥华♥面前蹦蹦跳跳 尽情欢舞”
leaping and dancing before the Lord.”
蹦蹦跳跳 尽情欢舞
Leaping and dancing.
《传道书》让我们相信
Ecclesiastes assures us…
天底下任何事皆有其时
that there is a time for every purpose under heaven.
有时间大笑
A time to laugh…
有时间哭泣
and a time to weep.
有时间哀悼
A time to mourn…
也就有时间跳舞
and there is a time to dance.
这个法律曾经确有其时 但已经结束
And there was a time for this law, but not anymore.
现在该轮到我们起舞
See, this is our time to dance.
这是我们庆祝生命的方式
It is our way of celebrating life.
人类诞生之初就是这样
It’s the way it was in the beginning.
一直以来就是这样
It’s the way it’s always been.
现在也该如此
It’s the way it should be now.
你知道你被敷衍打发了吧
You know you were railroaded, don’t you?
你打算什么时候清醒过来 认清现实
When are you gonna wake up and smell the coffee?
肖·摩尔步入那场会议
Shaw Moore walked into that meeting
票数早就是他囊中之物
with votes already in his pocket.
你毫无胜算[祈祷]You didn’t have a prayer.
这双关好烂 安迪
Bad pun, Andy.
你现在打算怎么做
What are you gonna do now?
结束了
It’s over.
要是没有呢
What if it ain’t?
你要是能在贝森开舞会呢
What if you have your dance in Bayson?
不行 重点就在于要在波蒙特改变局势
No. The whole point was to do something here in Bomont.
贝森离了有30英里吧
Bayson’s, what, thirty miles away?
有这些铁轨 就不是问题
Not where it runs up to these tracks it ain’t.
我想着 要是波蒙特消防车过不了这铁轨
I figure if the Bomont fire trucks can’t cross these tracks…
那条法律手再长也伸不过去
neither can the long arm of the law.
好吧 那摩尔牧师的长手呢
Yeah. What about the long arm of Reverend Moore?
他不是说 要是你能想办法说服他
Remember he said if you could find a way to convince him…
跳舞不是精神污染 他就会考虑
it wouldn’t be a spiritual corruption, he’d think about it.
-所以呢 -想办法让他考虑
– So? – Make him think about it.
“我又看见一个天使飞过
“And I beheld and heard an angel flying…
出自《启示录》8-13
从天堂正中穿过 高声说道
through the midst of heaven saying with a loud voice:
祸哉 祸哉 祸哉
Woe, woe, woe…
你们住在地上的民
to the inhabiters of the earth.”
我就看见一颗星从天落到地上
And I saw a star fall from heaven unto the earth…
出自《启示录》9-1和9-2
有无底坑的钥匙赐给它
and the angel was given the key to the bottomless pit.
它打开了无底坑
And he opened the bottomless pit…
便有烟从坑里往上冒
and there arose a smoke out of the pit
好像大火炉的烟
as smoke of a great furnace.
日头和天空
And the sun and air were darkened
都因这烟昏暗了”
by reason of the smoke of the pit.”
怎么了
Yes?
我以前好喜欢看你准备布道
I used to get such a kick watching you work up your sermons.
那现在呢
And now?
不一样了
It’s different.
我看见了舞台 看见了服装
I see the stage. I see costumes.
这根本是演艺行业 不是吗
It’s show business, isn’t it?
这个嘛…
Well…
我只会用这种方式触及人们的内心情感
it’s the only way I know to reach people’s emotions.
你好几天都没跟我说过话了
I haven’t heard from you for a while.
上次是什么时候 周四吗
When was it? Thursday?
我之前很生气 你也很生气
I was angry, you were angry.
-我没有 -不 你有
– I was not. – Yes, you were.
如果你没生气 你就会问我怎么了
If you weren’t, you would’ve asked me what was wrong.
你心里很清楚
You knew.
阿丽尔 我不能允许办这场舞会
Ariel, I cannot let this dance happen.
伦·麦克考马科使很多人停下来思考了
Ren McCormack made a lot of people stop and think.
我反对那种音乐 你应该知道原因
I object to that kind of music, and I think you know why.