我只是个生意人 麦克布莱先生
I’m just a businessman, Mr. McBride.
啊 在这儿
Ah, here it is.
“艾迪·休奎奇 特级花岗岩”
“Edward Shoebridge. Granite special.
“11月12日订制”
“Ordered, November 12.
“1965年11月18日支付”
“Paid for, November 18, 1965.
“395美元”
$395.”
有趣的是 他以现金支付
Now, that’s funny. It’s paid in cash.
-他们通常不会这样做 -那是谁
– They don’t usually do that. – Who was it?
我不知道 麦克布莱先生
I don’t know, Mr. McBride.
我猜他不想让人知道他的名字
I guess he didn’t want his name known.
什么意思”他”
Well, what do you mean, he?
-你刚才说”他”-我有说吗
– You just said he. – I did, didn’t I?
哦 你知道的 我依稀记得好像 是个男人
Well, you know, I seem to sort of remember… that it was a man.
对了 年轻小伙子
Yeah. A young fella.
微秃 我猜他20多岁
Slightly bald. I’d say in his late twenties.
你有没有再见到他 嗯 安置墓碑的时候
And did you see him again when you, uh… Put in the headstone?
我们并没有这样做 是他自己来把墓碑带走的
We didn’t do that. He came by and picked it up himself.
对 我想起来了 用一辆拖车
Yes, I remember now. In one of those tow trucks.
-你知道 那种拖车♥库♥的 -我知道
– You know, the kind that garages use? – Gotcha.
不 这里没有 艾迪·休奎奇的死亡证明
No, there is no death certificate here for Edward Shoebridge,
只有哈利·休奎奇和 莎蒂·休奎奇的
only Harry J. Shoebridge and Sadie L. Shoebridge.
就只有这样
That’s all you have?
哦 这里还有
Well, there is this.
似乎曾有人为艾迪·休奎奇 申请死亡证明书
It appears to be an application for a death certificate…
日期是1965年11月4日
for one Edward Shoebridge, dated November 4, 1965.
“由于申请人无提供任何死亡证据”
“Inasmuch as applicant could furnish no proof of death…
“当事人的尸体一直未被寻获”
“for party whose body had never been found,
“没有提供医疗死亡证明书”
“and who could supply no medical death certificate,
“亦没有法医检验 该申请被拒绝”
“and nothing from the coroner’s office, the application was denied.
“申请人接获通知后可到法♥院♥诉讼”
“Applicant, when informed he could file a petition for court action,
“但拒绝了这项建议”
declined the suggestion.”
有说申请人是谁吗
Does it say who the applicant was?
有”申请人乔森·马洛尼”
Yes. “Request was made by Joseph P. Maloney,
“巴洛溪426大街”
426 Main Street, Barlow Creek.”
-很好 谢谢你 -不客气
– Attagirl. Thank you. – You’re welcome.
-加满 -麻烦你
– Fill ‘er up? – Please.
-你要检查引擎吗 -如果你可以 麻烦你
– You want to check under the hood? – If you would, please.
-小心火柴 -喔 好的
– Better be careful with those matches. – Oh. Right.
抱歉
Sorry.
-这店是你开的 -是啊
– This your place? – Yeah.
那你一定就是 “J·马洛尼”
Then you must be, uh, “J. Maloney.”
告诉我 这是代表 嗯 约翰·马洛尼
Tell me, does that stand for, uh, John orJim?
-乔森 -是的
– Joe. – Right.
一切正常
Everything’s okay.
有趣 嗯 你几乎不需要任何油
Funny, uh, you didn’t hardly need any gas.
不需要加油 我猜你来这里不是为了车 先生
Didrt need no oil… Guess you didn’t come here for the car, huh, mister?
你能帮我擦一下挡风玻璃吗
Could you get my windshield, please?
没问题
Don’t worry.
你知道一个叫做 艾迪·休奎奇的人吗
You wouldn’t happen to know a guy by the name of Edward Shoebridge, would ya?
以前住在这一边
Used to live around here.
这名字我没印象
Name don’t ring no bell with me.
为什么你要问这个 嗯 他叫什么 休奎奇
What would you be wantir with this, uh, what’s his name, uh, Shoebridge?
是啊 法律问题
Yeah. Legal matter.
-你是律师 -对
– You a lawyer? – Yeah.
我叫麦克布莱 法兰克·麦克布莱
Name’s McBride. Frank McBride.
我第一次和不需要 我付钱的律师交谈
First time I ever talked to a lawyer didn’t cost me money.
实际上 马洛尼先生 和我交谈还能让你赚点钱
Actually, Mr. Maloney, by talking to me you could make yourself some money.
-是吗 -我愿意支付合理的现金
– Yeah? – I’m prepared to pay a reasonable sum of cash,
立刻付 如果你能提供给我任何 艾迪·休奎奇的资讯
right now, for any information that could lead me to Eddie Shoebridge.
我到任何地方 律师通常是带来坏消息
Where I come from, lawyers are usually bad news.
喔 不 这次不是 这次会是个好消息
Oh, no. Not this time. This time they’re good news.
事实上 我认为艾迪·休奎奇
Matter of fact, I think that Eddie Shoebridge…
会很高兴听到我带给他的消息
would be delighted when he hears from me.
你要告诉他什么
What are you gonna tell him?
嗯 我的客户要求我保密
Well, my client has asked me to keep that confidential.
谁聘请你去找这家伙
Who hired you to find this guy?
-这也得保密 -我当然希望能帮你 先生
– That’s confidential also. – Sure like to help you, Mister…
这里的生意并不太好
Business ain’t all that good around here.
-我想你能帮我 -是吗
– I think you can help me. – Is that right?
嗯 这里的人们告诉我 艾迪·休奎奇已经死了
Mm-hmm. See, people around here have been telling me that Eddie Shoebridge is dead.
如果他死了 看来他就听不到
Well, if he’s dead, looks like he ain’t gonna be hearir…
你要告诉他的好消息了 嗯
all that good news you have to tell him, huh?
我认为他还活着
I think he’s alive.
看来这辆车不需要太干净了
Sure don’t keep this car very clean.
你能告诉我 为什么要在空坟上 安置墓碑吗 马洛尼
You want to tell me why you put a headstone on an empty grave, Maloney?
什么墓碑
What headstone?
一个你付了395美元买♥♥的 就在1965年
The one you paid $395 for back in 1965.
你欠我2 47美元 先生
You owe me $2.47, mister.
两个星期前
Two weeks before that,
你到县政♥府♥申请
you went to the county courthouse…
艾迪·休奎奇的死亡证明
and asked for a certificate of death for Edward Shoebridge,
而且你被拒绝了
and you were turned down.
-你要用信♥用♥卡♥支付吗 -不
– You wanna give me your credit card? – No.
信♥用♥卡♥被停用了
Credit cards are out.
跟你一样 我喜欢付 现金
Like you, I prefer to pay… in cash.
这个是我个人最喜欢的
Now, this one happens to be my personal favorite.
是不是很高雅
Isn’t it exquisite?
对我来说太贵了
Probably too expensive for me.
我能帮你吗 先生
Can I help you, sir?
抱歉 我马上回来
Excuse me. I’ll be right back. Uh, Mrs. Clay?
克莱儿女士 你能帮我 接待一下坎妮安女士吗
Would you take care of Mrs. Cunningham for a few moments?
好的 亚当森先生
Certainly, Mr. Adamson.
我担心我太过喜欢了
I’m afraid I rather like it.
嘿 艾迪 你这狗♥娘♥养♥的
Hey, Eddie. You old son of a bitch.
如果对你来说都一样 我比较喜欢叫亚瑟·亚当森
If it’s all the same to you, I prefer Arthur Adamson.
你来这里干嘛
Now what in the hell are you doing here?
有要紧的事找你 就这样 艾迪 亚瑟
Had to see you about something kind of urgent. That’s all, Eddie… Arthur.
-你就不能打电♥话♥给我吗 -有些事不能在电♥话♥里谈
– Couldrt you have phoned me? – Some things you don’t put on no telephone.
嘿 你有酒吗
Hey, uh, you got any booze around?
好吧 乔森 这次是什么事
All right, Joseph. What is it this time?
要买♥♥新的冰箱给你老婆
New freezer for your wife?
老妈要做另一个手术 赌徒威胁要杀你 还是什么
Mother needs another operation? Bookies threatened to kill you? What?
嘿 艾迪 你把我说得好像寄生虫
Aw, come on, Eddie. You make me sound like some kind of sponger.
我不是不感激你的帮助
Not that I ain’t grateful for all your favors.
-我有得选择吗 -好了 好了 就这样
– Did I ever have a choice? – Okay, okay. Here it is.
首先 我得问你一个问题
First off, I gotta ask you a question.
-问吧 -我问你 别废话 艾迪
– Go ahead. – I’m tellir ya. No shit now, Eddie.
你能想到什么理由 这么多年后
Can you think of any reason why anyone would be sniffir around in your life…
怎么会有人对你的生活感兴趣
after all these years?
我想不出任何理由 怎么了
I can’t think of any reason at all. Why?
今天有个家伙来到车厂
Well, there’s this guy comes around the garage today…
探问艾迪·休奎奇
tryir to locate Eddie Shoebridge.
他自称是个律师 有个好消息带给你
Claims he’s a lawyer, he’s got good news for ya.
没说是什么事 为谁工作
Wort say what, or who he’s workir for.
只说他叫麦克布莱 我第一眼看到他就知道是说谎
Calls himself McBride. I know he’s a phony the minute I see him.
-警♥察♥ -不 是业余的
– Police? – No way. He’s a real amateur.
我追查他的车牌
I traced his license plates with the bureau…
也不是开他自己的车
Doesrt even drive his own car.
“布兰琪·泰勒 城♥堡♥大道17号♥”
“Blanche Tyler, 17 Castle Heights Road.”
-他长什么样子 -高瘦 大约35岁
– What did he look like? – He’s tall, thin, about 35.
他叼着一支烟斗 问许多自以为是的问题
He’s always got a pipe on. Asking a lot of smart-ass questions.
-你告诉他什么了 -什么该死的都没说
– What’d you tell him? – Nothir. Not a goddamn thing.
我不需要说 他什么都知道
I didn’t have to. He knew everything…
你叫我帮你立的假墓碑
fake headstone you had me put up,
我如何试图帮你申请死亡证明
how I tried to get you officially declared dead.
那狗♥娘♥养♥的还说了 他认为你还活着
The son of a bitch says he thinks you’re still alive.
他在找你 艾迪
He’s lookir for you, Eddie.
任何一个狗♥娘♥养♥的想找到你
And any son of a bitch who’s lookir for you…
就会找上我
is lookir for me.

Well,

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!