你能让他打电♥话♥给我吗?我会回家的。
would you ask him to call me? I’ll be home.
是的,奥尔德森先生。晚安。-谢谢你。晚安。
Yes, Mr. Alderson. Good night. – Thank you. Good night.
是的,特雷德韦小姐?对。
Yes, Miss Tredway? Yes.
卡斯韦尔先生?
Mr. Caswell?
三号♥广场,1940年。
Plaza Three, 1940.
先生,您现在可以点菜了吗?
Perhaps you’d like to order now, sir?
我会的。-没有。
I would. – No.
叫恩里克过来。-是的,先生。
Tell Enrique to come here. – Yes, sir.
但是我饿死了。
But I’m starving.
她说她会在6点前回电♥话♥。-谁说的?
She said she’d call back by 6:00. – Who said?
你不能和我谈谈吗?我来这里干什么?
Can’t you talk to me? What am I here for?
那么,米尔堡的电♥话♥呢?-对不起,卡斯韦尔先生,还没有。
So, what about that Millburgh call? – Sorry, Mr. Caswell, not yet.
你想现在开始吃饭吗?
Would you like to start your dinner now?
也许是樱桃核?-两打吧。
Cherry stones, perhaps? – Make it two dozen.
回去再和接线员确认一下。
Go back and check with the operator again.
是的,先生。
Yes, sir.
总有一天。。。-你别再说了。
One of these days… – You’re gonna stop talking.
哦,你好,法雷尔。-哦,嗨。
Oh, hello, Farrell. – Oh, hi.
你有什么?-明天早上的法雷尔,还有什么?
What have you got there? – Tomorrow morning’s Farrell, what else?
你介意我看看吗?-不,说吧。
Do you mind if I look? – No, go ahead.
你得原谅我的朋友。他不吃饭时喜欢看书。
You’ll have to excuse my friend. He likes to read while he doesn’t eat.
谁是AB?
Who’s AB?
非常感谢。
Thank you.
你的米尔堡电♥话♥,卡斯韦尔先生。-哦,恩里克,
Your Millburgh call, Mr. Caswell. – Oh, Enrique,
告诉接线员我不在,你也不知道我去哪儿了。
tell the operator I’m not here and you don’t know where I’ve gone.
但是,卡斯韦尔先生。。。-带我去警♥察♥局。
But, Mr. Caswell… – And get me the police department.
警♥察♥局?-警♥察♥局?
The police department? – The police department?
一大瓶香槟。
And a magnum of champagne.
是的,卡斯韦尔先生。
Yes, Mr. Caswell.
乔治,我们现在能吃饭了吗?-你饿了吗?
Can we eat now, George? – Are you hungry?
我饿了吗?
Am I hungry?
你为什么不说呢?
Well, why didn’t you say so?
飞往匹兹堡和芝加哥的79次航♥班♥,
Flight 79 to Pittsburgh and Chicago,
现在在三号♥门装货。
now loading at gate three.
你听到了吗?当达力和他们约会时,他们会等待。
Did you hear that? When Dudley dates them, they wait.
我来停车。
I’ll park the car.
没关系,洛伦,我马上就走。
Never mind, Loren, I’ll be taking off in a minute.
祝你好运。
Good luck.
别担心。在我的腰带下,我真的会保持K-F线移♥动♥。
Don’t worry. With this under my belt, I’ll really keep the K-F line moving.
请注意。
Your attention, please.
最后呼叫,飞往匹兹堡和芝加哥的79次航♥班♥,
Final call, Flight 79 to Pittsburgh and Chicago,
现在在三号♥门装货。
now loading at gate three.
请大家上车。
All aboard, please.
请注意。
Your attention, please.
最后呼叫,飞往匹兹堡和芝加哥的79次航♥班♥,
Final call, Flight 79 to Pittsburgh and Chicago,
现在在三号♥门装货。
now loading at gate three.
请大家上车。
All aboard, please.
晚安,沃林先生。-晚安,比尔。
Good night, Mr. Walling. – Good night, Bill.
晚安。
Good night.
算了吧。
Forget it.
如果我们没有走得这么近就好了。
If only we hadn’t come so close.
我为什么不把我们所有的都给你?可能已经做到了。
Why didn’t I give it all we had? That might have done it.
别把自己搞晕了,比尔。
Stop knocking yourself out, Bill.
我不敢冒险,一枪就把所有的混合物都吹掉。
I was afraid to take the gamble, blow all the mixture on one shot.
这不是你的赌博。我应该去的。
It wasn’t your gamble to take. I should’ve been there.
嗨,亲爱的。-你好。
Hi, dear. – Hi.
你好,比尔。-晚上好,沃林太太。
Hello, Bill. – Good evening, Mrs. Walling.
还有地方再放一个。
There’s room for one more.
我有车了,谢谢。明天见?
I’ve got my car, thanks. See you tomorrow?
除非你在球场上。-我差点忘了。
Not unless you’re out at the ballpark. – I almost forgot.
晚安,比尔,别自责了,好吗?
Good night, Bill, and stop blaming yourself, will you?
我试试看。
I’ll try.
亲爱的,我会哭的。-别这样。
Darling, I could cry. – Don’t.
这次你太确定了。出什么事了?
You were so sure this time. What went wrong?
我不知道,我不在那里。布拉德召集了一个会议。
I don’t know, I wasn’t there. Bullard called a meeting.
迈克怎么样?
How’s Mike?
哦,他在比赛中紧张得像只小狗。我不得不把他赶出去在隔壁玩。
Oh, he’s nervous as a pup over the game. I had to chase him out to play next door.
这么晚了?
This late?
好吧,当然,我得做点什么让他别想了,不然他就睡不着了。
Well, sure, I had to do something to get his mind off it or he’d never sleep.
他走到土堆上就会没事的。-是的。
He’ll be okay when he steps to the mound. – Yes.
为什么,唐?-为什么?
What was it for, Don? – What was what for?
布拉德的会议。
Bullard’s meeting.
他从未出现过。
He never showed up.
如果我有我要的新设备,
If I’d had the new equipment I asked for,
不管我去不去,今晚都不会出错。
nothing would’ve gone wrong tonight, whether I’d been there or not.
哦,唐。
Oh, Don.
我需要设备,但我没拿到。肖不同意。
I needed equipment, I didn’t get it. Shaw didn’t approve.
但谁听了肖的?谁取消了订单?
But who listened to Shaw? Who canceled the order?
他不明白。
He doesn’t understand.
没人说新的成型工艺
Nobody’s claiming that a new molding process
将会彻底改变这个行业,
is going to revolutionize the industry,
百里挑一,百里挑一。
it’s just one attempt in a hundred to make one improvement in a hundred.
“提高利润而不是产品”,这是肖的哲学。
“Lmprove the profits but never the product,” that’s Shaw’s philosophy.
对他来说,整个公♥司♥只是图表上的一条曲线。
To him, the whole company is just a curve on a chart.
对你来说永远是别人,而不是艾弗里·布拉德。
And to you it’s always somebody else, never Avery Bullard.
哦,亲爱的,你为什么不能面对它?
Oh, darling, why can’t you face it?
梦想破灭了。布拉德答应过你。
The dream is dead. Bullard made you a promise.
他说,“计划你想要的,设计你想要的。开♥发♥新想法。”
He said, “Plan what you want, design what you want. Develop new ideas.
“我们需要你,孩子。”
“We need you, boy.”
当然,他需要你,这是个好梦,
Sure, he needed you, and it was good, a fine dream,
但一切都结束了,结束了,结束了。
but it’s over with, done, finished.
我告诉你,我是肖。-是布拉德听他的。
I tell you, it’s Shaw. – And it’s Bullard who listens to him.
哦,他变了,唐,你在这里慢慢死去
Oh, he’s changed, Don, and you’re dying a slow death here
因为你拒绝承认真♥相♥,
because you refuse to admit the truth,
关于布拉德的真♥相♥。
the truth about Bullard.
我只是不知道你还能走多久。
I just don’t know how long you can go on this way.
我要走了。
I’ll walk.
他很早就出去了。工厂的测试肯定失败了。
He’s out early. The test at the plant must have failed.
你听起来并不失望。
You don’t sound disappointed.
我应该吗?-你的植物。
Should I? – Your plant.
每一块砖,每一台机器,每一条生产线的每一寸。
Every brick, every machine, every inch of every production line.
我不需要男孩的奇迹和幻灯尺专家来教我怎么做。
And I didn’t need the boy wonders and slide-rule experts to show me how.
你真的认为你能跟它说再见吗,杰西?
You really think you’ll be able to say goodbye to it, Jesse?
我今晚会告诉布拉德的,但他没有从纽约回来。
I would’ve told Bullard tonight, but he didn’t get back from New York.
星期一。
Monday.
还记得你以前带他回家吃饭吗?
Remember when you used to bring him home to dinner?
你们俩会聊上半天。
The two of you would sit up half the night talking.
很久以前。
A long time ago.
你确定那不是困扰你的事吗?
Sure that isn’t what’s bothering you?
官方刚刚澄清了这个长达5个小时的谜团
Officials have just cleared up the five-hour-old mystery
不明身份的人的身份。。。-莎拉,你能听听音乐吗?
of the identity of the unknown man… – Will you get some music, Sara?
他在金融区的中心坠楼身亡。
…who dropped dead in the center of the city’s financial district.
大学教师。
Don.
我们为什么要这样对彼此?
Why do we do this to each other?
是我的错。-不,是我的。
It’s my fault. – No, it’s mine.
小男孩的东西。
Small boy stuff.
我很自私。我只对爱你感兴趣。
I’m selfish. I’m only interested in loving you.
永不停歇。
Never stop.
我会和任何人战斗,任何人,甚至你,
I’ll fight anything, anyone, even you,
如果我认为这会让你变成一个我无法继续爱下去的人。
if I think it’ll make you into someone I can’t go on loving.
你知道吗?-什么?
You know something? – What?
沃林先生,有个人在打电♥话♥,是报社的记者。
Mr. Walling, there’s a man on the phone, a reporter from the paper.
不,不是现在,没有声明。
No. Not now, no statement.
我是布拉德。他死了。
It’s Bullard. He’s dead.
哦,不。
Oh, no.
死了。
Dead.
我们恨他,他一直躺在那里死了。
We were hating him, and all the time he was lying there dead.
亲爱的,不要。
Darling, don’t.
他是个伟人。
He was a great man.
我认识的最伟大的人。
The greatest man I’ve ever known.