3700条蠕动的蠕虫。
3,700 wriggling worms.
晚上好,各位。
Evening, everyone.
一切都好吗,乔治?-哦,太好了。
Everything all right, George? – Oh, perfect.
弗雷德在哪?-我不知道。
Where’s Fred? – I don’t know.
他没跟你说吗?
Well, didn’t he talk to you?
唐,你为什么不坐下?
Don, why don’t you sit down?
先生们,我们开始吧?-我们不能开始。
Well, gentlemen, shall we begin? – We can’t begin.
也许我的表快了,我有6点03分。
Perhaps my watch is fast, I have 6:03.
我们这里只有四个人。-五个。
There are only four of us here. – Five.
特雷德韦小姐的代理人。
Miss Tredway’s proxy.
马丁小姐,我认为五个人构成法定人数,对吗?
Miss Martin, am I correct in assuming that five constitutes a quorum?
对。
Yes.
我的假设也对吗
Am I also correct in assuming
七位董事中的四位,
that four votes out of the total of seven directors,
是否足以通过通常的动议,以及选举?
are sufficient to pass the usual motions, as well as to elect?
对。
Yes.
我看我们没有理由不继续。
Then I see no reason why we shouldn’t proceed.
好吧,你不觉得这件事很重要,可以等弗雷德和杰西吗?
Well, don’t you think this is important enough to wait for Fred and Jesse?
奥尔德森先生和格林先生已经得到正式通知
Mr. Alderson and Mr. Grimm have been officially notified
他们不是在开会吗?
of this meeting, have they not?
你已经核实他们收到通知了吗?
And you’ve had verification of their receipt of notification?
对。
Yes.
乔治,你反对继续吗?
George, any objections to proceeding?
不。
No.
沃尔特?
Walt?
没有。-好了,我们开始吧。
No. – All right, let’s get started.
现在,那么。
Now, then.
先生们,我很高兴。。。
Gentlemen, I take pleasure in…
特雷德韦小姐?
Miss Tredway.
你认识所有人。
You know everybody.
卡斯韦尔先生,达德利先生,沃林先生。坐这儿。
Mr. Caswell, Mr. Dudley, Mr. Walling. Sit here.
这没必要,肖先生。
This won’t be necessary, Mr. Shaw.
我自己来做。
I’ll do it myself.
沃尔特?
Walt?
特雷德韦小姐,先生们,
Miss Tredway, gentlemen,
我很高兴被提名为我们公♥司♥的下一任总裁,
I take pleasure in nominating as the next president of our company,
我认为他最有资格填补这可怕的空白
the man whom I believe best qualified to fill the terrible void
我们敬爱的总统去世后留下的。
left by the death of our beloved president.
我提名洛伦·P·肖。
I nominate Loren P. Shaw.
谢谢你,沃尔特。
Thank you, Walt.
乔治?
George?
我支持提名。
I second the nomination.
马丁小姐。
Miss Martin.
“洛伦·P·肖先生已被提名
“Mr. Loren P. Shaw has been placed in nomination
“特威公♥司♥总裁”
“for the presidency of Tredway Corporation
“在第116次董事会会议之前”
“before this 116th meeting of the board of directors
1953年6月20日
“on the 20th day of June, 1953.”
截至该日,出席会议的董事达到法定人数,
There being present a quorum of the total number of directors as of this date,
四次投赞成票即构成当选多数票。
an affirmative vote delivered four times shall constitute an elective majority.
还有其他提名吗?
Are there any other nominations?
第一轮投票的提名现已结束。
Nominations on this first ballot are now closed.
请把选票放在这些信封里。
If you’ll please place your ballots in these envelopes.
你的选票,沃林先生。
Your ballot, Mr. Walling.
给肖先生一个“不”。
One “no” for Mr. Shaw.
一个“是”给肖先生。
One “yes” for Mr. Shaw.
两个“是”给肖先生。
Two “yes” for Mr. Shaw.
三个“是”给肖先生。
Three “yes” for Mr. Shaw.
一个“弃权”
One “abstain.”
第一轮投票没有决定。
No decision on the first ballot.
特雷德韦小姐,我能和你说几句话吗?
Miss Tredway, could I speak with you for a moment?
也许我今天下午没把我的立场说清楚。
Perhaps I failed to make my position clear this afternoon.
在我们继续之前休息一下怎么样?
How about a break before we go on with this?
有人吃阿司匹林吗?-在那里。
Anybody got an aspirin? – In there.
特雷德韦小姐,我不知道你刚才是怎么投票的,
Miss Tredway, I don’t know how you just voted,
但我想告诉你我对我所说的话感到非常抱歉。
but I wanted to tell you how sorry I am for what I said.
不管我对公♥司♥有什么看法,我都无权这么做。
No matter how I feel about the company, I had no right to do that.
洛伦,感觉怎么样?
Well, Loren, how does it feel?
什么?-不明白。
What? – Not getting it.
我有她。我知道我有她。-哦,你还是这样。
I had her. I know I had her. – Oh, you still do.
是你。为什么?为什么?
It was you. Why? Why?
3700个理由。
3,700 reasons.
我告诉过你我。。。
I told you I was…
我告诉过你我会为你尽力而为的,不是吗?
I told you I was gonna do my best for you, didn’t I?
今天下午我没意识到我真的有多大的讨价还价能力。
I didn’t realize this afternoon how much bargaining power I really had.
不仅仅是我的“不”把你挡在门外,我的“是”把你挡在里面。
It’s not just that my “no” keeps you out and my “yes” puts you in.
洛伦,我要保证交货。
Loren, I want the delivery of that stock guaranteed.
你这个白♥痴♥。我就在这儿给你。
You blasted idiot. I have it for you right here.
茱莉亚·特雷德韦要退出公♥司♥,我负责她的股票出♥售♥。
Julia Tredway’s pulling out of the company, and I’m handling the sale of her stock.
这是你的3700股,就在这里。
Here’s your 3,700 shares, right here.
一封由我作为总统签署的调职信。
A letter of transfer signed by me, as president.
你介意吗?
Do you mind?
现在,我们走。
Now, let’s go.
好了,马丁小姐。
All right, now, Miss Martin.
玛丽,有什么不对劲吗?
Mary, is there anything wrong?
一切都结束了吗?-不,还没有。
Is it all over? – No, not yet.
哦,唐,请不要恨我。我对你做了一件可怕的事。我真的做到了。
Oh, Don, please don’t hate me. I did a terrible thing to you. I really did.
亲爱的,怎么了?-你一走弗雷德就给你打电♥话♥。
Honey, what is it? – Fred called you right after you left.
他在哪?
Where is he?
他说在他来之前推迟投票对你很重要。
He said it was important for you to hold up the voting until he got here.
我没打电♥话♥给你,唐。
I didn’t call you, Don.
当我试着通过的时候,我找不到你,而且。。。
And then when I did try to get through, I couldn’t find you, and…
没事的,亲爱的。没事的。
It’s okay, honey. It’s all right.
亲爱的,我错了。
Darling, I was so wrong.
如果这是你真正想要的,
If it’s what you want, really want,
这对我们俩都很重要。
that’s all that should matter to either of us.
唐,还有机会吗?
Don, is there still a chance in there?
没有什么是不可能的。记得?
Nothing’s impossible. Remember?
你真有趣。
You’re funny.
是吗?
Am I?
准备第二轮投票,唐。-已经开始了?
Getting ready for the second ballot, Don. – Already?
马丁小姐。
Miss Martin.
6时19分,在短暂休会后,会议重新开始
“At 6:19, after a brief recess, the meeting was resumed,
“达德利先生又一次叫了洛伦·P·肖”
“and Mr. Dudley once again placed the name of Loren P. Shaw
“提名为特雷德韦公♥司♥总裁。”
“in nomination for the presidency of Tredway Corporation.”
特雷德韦小姐,先生们。。。
Miss Tredway, gentlemen…
我们似乎都很匆忙,不是吗?
We all seem to be in a big hurry around here, don’t we?
我想再次提名。。。
I’d like to second the nomination…
也许我们太习惯在这个房♥间里做快速的决定了,
Maybe we’re a little too accustomed to quick decisions in this room,
董事会的会议从来没有真正意义。
to directors’ meetings that never really meant anything.
如果你是说布拉德经营这家公♥司♥的方式就是这样,
If you mean that’s pretty much the way Bullard ran this company,
我们可能都同意你的意见。
we might all be inclined to agree with you.
毕竟,这不是我们来这里的原因吗,
After all, isn’t that why we’re here,
取代那种独♥裁♥的领导?
to replace that kind of dictatorial leadership?
用什么,洛伦?
With what, Loren?
我正要告诉你。。。-换成什么?
Well, I was about to tell you… – Replace it with what?
等一下,乔治。我想回答这个问题。
Just a second, George. I want to answer that question.
毕竟,特雷德韦小姐是这家公♥司♥的主要股东,
After all, Miss Tredway is a major stockholder in this company,
如果她或其他人想知道我的立场。。。
and if she, or anyone else, wants to know where I stand…
我相信一家公♥司♥首先和最后都要对股东负责。
I believe that a company is answerable first and last to its stockholders.
为了履行这个义务,
To fulfill that obligation,
必须把重点放在投资回报上。
primary emphasis must be placed upon return on investment.
杰西。-唐。
Jesse. – Don.
有什么事吗?-还没有。
Anything happened? – Not yet.
我以为我能甩了他。他是头骡子。
Thought I could swing him. He’s a mule.
杰西,弗雷德,欢迎。
Jesse, Fred, welcome.
我们进入了提名名单,
We’re into the nominations,
我只是想让这里的每个人都明白
and I was just trying to make clear to everyone here
我所相信的
what I believe to be the only
今天公♥司♥管理的良好基础。
sound basis for corporation management today.
当普通股东购买♥♥Tredway股票时,
When the average stockholder buys Tredway stock,

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!