I… know she loathes me because I adored Arlena, but this is ridiculous.
我要找她算帐
You just wait till I catch her…
你 琳达
You! Linda!
琳达 你 等等 等等
Linda. You… You just wait! Stay right…
琳达 你跟波洛先生说吧
Linda! You tell Monsieur Poirot
中午我见到过你的 你在海鸥湾游泳
that I was with you this morning when you were swimming in Gull Cove.
干嘛说 你没在
Why should I? You weren’t.
什么 你真会撒谎
What? You lying little brat!
当时你明明看见我在划划艇
You just tell him that you saw me on the pedalo.
你还不肯帮我把船划回去 你跟他说
You tell him that you refused to help me pedal back! You tell him!
-你快跟他说 -别拉着我女儿
-You tell him! -Take your hands off my daughter!
那您叫她说实话
Then you tell her to tell him the truth!
琳达 中午你在海鸥湾
Well, Linda, did you see Mr Brewster
见到布鲁斯特先生了
when you were bathing in Gull Cove this morning?
-那好吧见到的 -琳达不应该说谎
-Oh, alright then, yes, I did. -Linda, you mustn’t tell lies.
你这样是会害人家的
You can get people into serious trouble.
岂止害人家 会定死罪的
Serious trouble? Hell, darling! You can get them hanged!
本来就想这样 对吗 小姐
That was rather the idea, was it not, mademoiselle?
对不起
I’m sorry.
我向您赔礼道歉 先生
Kindly accept my apologies, monsieur.
我也承认您不在现场
Incidentally, I accept your alibi.
您真光明磊落 先生
That’s real white of you, Mr P!
波洛先生 我不像我妻子
No, Monsieur Poirot, I am not as lucky as my dear wife.
我完全不能证明我不在现场
I have absolutely no alibi.
在11点到12点一刻之间我就在坐在
I was sitting over there on a stone bench reading my book
那个石凳上看书 一动也没动
and between the hours of 11:00 and 12:15 I didn’t move.
我也很清楚 波洛先生
Now, I’m well aware, Monsieur Poirot,
碰到干♥你♥们这一行的 出了凶杀案
that in your world, when a murder takes place
谁都得赶紧证明自己不在现场
everyone automatically comes up with a watertight alibi.
不过我是属于那种成千上万的无辜老百姓
However, I belong to that great world of millions of innocent men and women
说来也奇怪 总没想到给自己
who, curiously enough, don’t have the foresight
准备好一份证明
to provide themselves with an alibi
他们对凶杀案一无所知
when a murder is taking place of which they know absolutely nothing.
所以结果就是 在我正大光明地看书的时候
Consequently, as I was guilelessly reading my book,
没有什么花匠在我身边走过 摸一摸自己的头发
there was no gardener to come trotting by respectfully touching his forelock
看一看手上的祖父留下来的手表是什么时间
and registering the time on his grandfather’s turnip watch.
简单地说 没有任何人能够替我作证
In short, Monsieur Poirot, I don’t have the ghost of an alibi.
当然 我也可以蹦到那个山顶上去
Of course, I could have scampered over the top of that peak,
像山羊一样 再嘛
like a mountain goat, and…
一下子从山坡上冲下来
swarmed down the famous steps we’ve all heard about,
再爬到阿琳娜的身边
and then crept up on Arlena
用我这双有力的手掐死她
and strangled her with these powerful hands of mine.
您会感到失望 我没有这样做
But, unfortunately for you, I did no such thing.
我有动机 可我没有不在现场的证明
You see, I have a big fat motive but no alibi.
还有问题吗
Next question?
还有个问题
Next question is what did you do
您说您坐在花♥园♥里 没有被人发现 以后呢
when you had finished being unobserved in the garden?
我回到屋子里 还是没被人发现 就去换衣服了
I went up to my room, again unobserved, to change for tennis.
我当时口渴 就按铃叫人 可服务员没来
I was rather thirsty and so I rang the bell. Naturally, no one answered.
这些服务员可真难找 恐怕只有
Where the goddamn staff had disappeared to was a mystery,
您这个大侦探才找得着 波洛先生
and worthy even of your talents, Monsieur Poirot.
我去放水 水龙头里一滴水都没有
I turned on the tap, but there was no water, not a drop.
可楼下有人洗澡 放了满满的一大盆
Someone was running a bath down the hall fit to float Noah’s Ark.
怎么有人挑这个时候洗澡
“Damned odd time for a bath,” I’d have said.
结果我换了衣服
Anyway, I changed
穿了一身挺漂亮的弗莱德·派瑞网球服
and appeared suitably attired in my Fred Perry outfit
12点半准时赶到网球场 见到戴芬妮和马歇尔
on the tennis court at precisely 12:30 to join Daphne and Marshall.
雷德芬太太几分钟后就来了
Mrs Redfern came a few minutes later.
波洛先生 这就是
And that, Monsieur Poirot…
被告的全部辩护
concludes the case for the defence.
您很风趣 先生 不过说了半天还是
You make pleasantries, monsieur, but no alibi is still…
没人证明
…no alibi.
您别找了 我搬进去了
If you’re looking for that, I’ve got it in here.
我已经替您理出个头绪来了
I’ve been using it to sort everything out for you.
原先我让您去找那女的 我说错了
Look! I was wrong about cherchez la femme. Sorry about that.
应该去找那小的
But it’s quite obviously cherchez le fruit.
只有雷克斯下落不明 瞧 您来看
Rexy is the only one unaccounted for. Look, I’ll show you.
11点半阿琳娜还活着 霍勒斯爵士和她见面以后
At 11:30 Arlena Marshall was left here alive by Horace Blatt,
就坐船走了 就在这同时 麦拉和帕特里克在这儿
who then sailed on down here. At the same time, Myra and Patrick were here,
琳达和克里斯蒂娜在这儿 肯尼斯在这儿
Linda and Christine were here, Kenneth was here
我在给员工们开会
and I was in my staff meeting.
所以凶手准是我们那位作家
It has just got to be our genial columnist.
我还知道是怎么杀的
And, what’s more, I know how he did it.
哦 这您都知道
Oh, you do, madame?
没错 最近我在杂♥志♥上读到有个马来亚的女人
Absolutely! Recently I was reading a magazine story about a woman in Malaya
死在一条大鳗鱼的手里 那鱼蹦出海面
who was drowned by a huge moray eel which darted out of a hole,
把她拖到海底 用它的牙咬住她喉咙
dragged her to the floor of the ocean, its teeth buried in her throat.
这就给了我很大的启发
Now that’s what gave me the clue I needed.
就是说雷克斯可以在梯子湾附近躲在水底下
Rex… Rex Brewster could’ve been lurking in the water here off Ladder Bay,
等阿琳娜坐划艇过来的时候 他就蹦出来
and when Arlena appeared on her pedalo, he could have leapt up,
一下子把她拉下了水
pulled her off it…
对 这很有意思 夫人
Very interesting, madame.
唯一的漏洞是阿琳娜不是在水里淹死的
The only snag is that Madame Marshall was not drowned.
更不是给咬死的
Far less was she gnawed to death…
而且您的分♥析♥根本不能成立
And perhaps even more damaging to your theory is the fact
因为已经证实了布鲁斯特先生在这儿 在海鸥湾
that it has been established that Monsieur Brewster was here in Gull Cove
他见到琳达的时间是12点
with Mademoiselle Linda at 12 o’clock.
他不可能从海鸥湾把船划到梯子湾
He could not possible have pedalled all the way from Gull Cove
只花半小时
to Ladder Bay in half an hour.
他真是瞎捣乱
That’s very inconvenient of him.
他要不是凶手 那是谁啊
I mean, if he didn’t do it, who did?
我看谁也不是了 大家都不在现场
I just don’t see who could have. Everyone has an alibi.
不见得 夫人
Oh, no, they do not, madame.
加德纳先生就不能证明他不在场 他自己还挺得意呢
Monsieur Gardener does not have an alibi, seems rather proud of the fact.
不过我可以证明他不在现场
Oh, but he does, dear, most definitely.
您在说什么 夫人
What are you telling me, madame?
就在11点半我开员工大会
At half past 11 I was having my staff meeting,
给所有的雇员不带脏字训话的时候
giving the hired help a pleasing stream of the old rancid,
我特别示下安德烈
and in particular pointing out to Andreas
指出他完全没有必要把那咖喱鸡烧得那么辣
that there was absolutely no point in making your curry de poulet vindaloo
叫人家一尝舌头上都起了泡
so hot that it raised welts on the surface of your tongue,
那时候我正好抬头看到奥德尔在花♥园♥里边看书
when I looked out of the window and there was Odell reading a book.
我们开会他一直在外头 我敢肯定
He stayed there throughout the entire meeting. I’m positive of it.
怎么了 我说错了
What’s the matter? Have I said something?
给您说着了 夫人
You’ve said a great deal, madame.
哦 我明白了
Oh, I… I see what you mean.
您的意思是 谁也不是凶手
You… You mean nobody did it.
可是有人被杀了 夫人
And yet we still have a body, madame.
此曲为咏叹调《女人善变》 出自威尔第的著名三幕歌♥剧《弄臣》[1851]
-歌♥剧《弄臣》 -对了威尔第多好听啊
-Ah, Rigoletto -Correct. Ah, Verdi. Quelle élégance!
意大利人名朱塞佩Giuseppe在英语里是约瑟夫Joseph 昵称乔Joe
意大利语verdi和英语green意思均为”绿色”
您想想 朱塞佩·威尔第要是个英国人
It’s funny to think, if Giuseppe Verdi had been an Englishman,
他的名字就会是叫乔·格林
his name would have been Joe Green.
是会这样的 是的
Yes, I suppose it would, yes.
我当教师的时候
Well, it used to make the boys laugh
给学生们朗读拉丁语 他们都笑了
when I was trying to din some Latin into them when I was a school teacher.
孩子最怕上拉丁语课
Little boys laugh easily if it keeps them away,
小幽默有助于活跃课堂气氛
even for a moment, from their study of Latin.
女士们 先生们 请原谅我打断大家的鸡尾酒会
Messieurs-Dames, please forgive me for interrupting the cocktail hour,
我有两个重要的问题要问
but there are two questions of great importance which I must put to you.
第一个是 今天中午有人往海里扔过瓶子吗
First of all, did anybody here throw a bottle into the sea this morning?
没有
No?
第二个 12点一刻有人洗过澡吗
Secondly, did any of you take a bath at 12:15 today?
真怪 挑这个时间洗
An odd time for ablutions.
真有意思
How remarkable!
明明有人洗过澡 可没人承认
A bath which nobody admits having taken
有个瓶子自己飞进了海里
and a bottle which flies by itself.
乔·格林
Joe Green…
这案子叫人越想越有意思
It’s rather more amusing than at first I thought.
-早霍勒斯爵士 -早游泳好玩吗
-Morning, Sir Horace! -Hello, enjoy your swim?
嗯 请原谅我喘着粗气
Yes. Sorry I’m so puffed,