Sir, you wouldn’t have to speak in court. Mr. Barron here will do all the speaking.
不过坦白说,先生,他需要你的协助
But frankly, sir, he needs your help.
我的民法都快忘光了
My family law is so rusty.
就算是当名顾问也行
Even if you could just come on board as a consultant.
很抱歉这么跟你说,多伊先生
I’m sorry to say this to you, Mr. Doyle.
但他们派出一流人选替州政♥府♥辩护
But they’ll put forward the best people to put the case for the State.
有钱就能找到最好的
The best that money can buy.
所以他们讨厌我
That’s why they hated me.
我可不会被收买♥♥
I wouldn’t be bought.
我相信真有上帝的话 祂会挺身而出帮忙我们
I believe that if there is a God, he’ll step in to help us.
你的信仰真教我感动
I’m touched by your faith.
这是仅存的圣灵 我决定给予实质上的协助
This is the only Holy Spirit I’ve found to be of any practical assistance.
干杯吧
Cheers
从小你就是我所崇拜的英雄,康诺利先生
You were a big hero to me as a boy, Mr. Connolly,
我爸也是
to my dad, too.
他带我参观你所有比赛 看到那边那张照片吗?
He took me to all your games. You see that photo there?
那场球赛我也有去看 你在那场球赛受了伤
I was at that game, the one where you got injured.
那是结束的开始
That was the beginning of the end.
那个粗野的后卫害我软骨受伤
When that big brute of a fullback did my cartilage in.
当然是名英国人,混♥蛋♥
He was English, of course. The bastard.
还有,在我离开球场之前…
Still, before I left the field,
我打算踢烂他的鸟蛋,要是他有的话
I managed to boot him where his balls would have been, if he’d any.
很公平
Fair play to you.
无论如何,各位…
Anyway, lads,
你们的案子很感兴趣
your case is interesting.
希望渺茫而有趣
Hopeless, but interesting.
你真觉得没希望了?
You really think it’s hopeless?
此案就是我以前称呼的 “真正的圣犹达”
This case is what I used to call a real St. Jude.
为何称作圣犹达?
Why St. Jude?
因为圣犹达是无可救药的主保圣人
Because St. Jude is the patron saint of hopeless cases.
我没记错的话,先生 你当初赢了不少次圣犹达
As I recall, sir, you’ve won quite a few St. Judes in your time.
我想没错
I suppose I have.
像你这样的男人退休后一定无聊透顶
Retirement must be excruciatingly boring for a man like yourself.
绅士们…
Gentlemen,
我先敬一杯
I propose a toast.
正义和圣犹达
Justice and St. Jude.
我是戴斯蒙多伊 艾芙琳多伊的父亲
I am Desmond Doyle, father of Evelyn Doyle,
未经我同意就操控在你照料之下
who’s been held in your care without my consent.
我要求立即归还我的女儿
I request the return of my daughter, forthwith.
多伊先生,你不能要回你的女儿
Mr. Doyle, you cannot have your daughter.
那件案子,我的事务律师迈可比提先生
In that case, my solicitor, Mr. Michael Beattie,
会给你一份出庭传票…
will present you with a writ of habeas corpus
由我的律师尼可拉斯拜伦先生所草拟
drafted by my counselor, Mr. Nicholas Barron.
适时出席
Duly presented.
适时作证
Duly witnessed.
谢谢,修女,那正是我们需要的
Thank you, Sister. That’s all we need.
所以会好转是吧? 仿佛一场梦
So, it went well, then? – It went like a dream.
戴斯蒙背住所有台词 并讲得非常流利漂亮
Desmond remembered all his lines and spoke them beautifully.
劳伦斯奥立佛最好当心了
Laurence Olivier had better watch out.
你没攻击修女吧? 没有
You didn’t attack a nun, then? – I did not.
我在学习游戏规则
I’m learning the rules of the game.
现在怎么办? 等待
What do we do now? – We wait.
不行,他们就想要我们这样
No. That’s just what they want us to do.
他们会数月一点进展也没 希望我们自动放弃
They’ll do nothing for months and hope that we’ll go away.
除非我们催促,不然毫无进展
Nothing will happen unless we force their hand.
我会打通电♥话♥给我老友休坎尼
I’ll give my old friend Hugh Canning a ring.
休坎尼?
Hugh Canning?
但他是个体育播报员 差不多是
But he’s a sports commentator. – Mostly, yes.
但他会做的事可多了
But he does a bit of everything.
愿上帝赐你正义
May God grant you justice.
收下这个去玩吧,孩子 谢谢,修女
Take this and run along, girl. – Thank you, Sister.
是什么?
What is it?
艾琳,过来 怎么回事?
Eileen, come here. – What’s going on?
戴斯蒙多伊,一位住在都柏林费帝玛公♥寓♥ 的油漆装♥修♥工人…
“Desmond Doyle, a painter and decorator from Fatima Mansions, Dublin,
是位只想和他的孩子一起生活的慈祥父亲
“is a loving father who just wants to spend time with his children,
但法律却不允许他如此
“but the powers that be won’t let him.
戴斯蒙娇嫩的小女儿,艾芙琳…
“Desmond’s rosy-cheeked little daughter, Evelyn…”
至少他们已安排一次听证会 那是第一步
At least they’ve set a date for the hearing. That’s the first step.
一点小小温和性的施压
A little bit of gentle pressure did the trick.
我们必须给部长临门一脚
We had to give the Minister a kick up his fat ass.
现在怎么办?
What do we do now?
你应该好好整理仪容一下 媒体可能会帮你拍照
You should smarten yourself up. The press might want photos of you.
偶尔也该梳梳头发 胡子刮一刮
Try combing your hair occasionally. Shave.
才不会看起来那么邋遢 可以的话,拿我当典范
Look as if you haven’t just fallen out of bed. Use me as a role model if you want to.
出庭前买♥♥双新鞋
And buy a new pair of shoes before we get to court.
新鞋? 是的
New shoes? – Yes.
据说法官会藉由他的鞋子状况 判定一个人的人格
I’ve known judges who judge a man’s character by the state of his shoes.
他们来了,拍一张照 特别是小女孩
Here they come. Let’s get a shot. – Especially of the little girl.
快点 拍张三个人的合照
Come on. – Get the three of them together, now.
爹地,我在盖尔达阵得分! 爹地
Daddy, I scored a goal in Gaelic! – Daddy.
亲爱的! 你看来很好
My loves! You look wonderful.
爹地,我喜欢你的新鞋 谢谢,艾芙琳
Daddy, I like your new shoes. – Thanks, Evelyn.
自我认识他起,菲立斯已经变了很多
Ferris hasn’t changed much since I knew him,
破烂不堪的旧布
the torn-faced old poultice.
他一直看来像是杜林寿衣
He’s always looked like the Turin Shroud.
我们曾经称他”臭鼬鼠菲立斯”
We used to call him Ferris the Ferret,
那对鼠辈是种侮辱
which is an insult to the rodent.
拜伦先生,你代表原告戴斯蒙多伊?
Mr. Barron, you’re representing the petitioner, Desmond Doyle?
是的,大人
Yes, My Lord.
我们认为地方法♥院♥今年一月十日 举♥行♥的听证会…
We contend the judge at the District Court hearing of January 10 of this year
对原告戴斯蒙多伊先生判决错误
misdirected the petitioner, Mr. Desmond Doyle.
请求法官对此案引起关注 作出判决以明白表示他的希望
I refer you to the notes of that case wherein the judge expressed his hope
多伊先生才不必让他的孩子托养太久
that Mr. Doyle would not have to leave his children in care for too long.
很可惜,目前尚未有此先例
Sadly, that has not been the case here.
1941年订立的儿福法清楚阐述…
The Children’s Act of 1941 clearly states
除非配偶死亡,但此案并非如此…
that unless the spouse is deceased, which is not the case here,
同时需要双亲同意书
then the consent of both parents is required.
这是我们案子基本要有的,大人
This is the basis of our case, Your Lordship.
而儿童福利条款…
Provision of the Children’s Act
从字面上或文法上意义可以得知
must be understood in its literal, grammatical meaning.
“双亲”绝对是那个意思
“Both parents” means exactly that.
因此驳回原告戴斯蒙多伊的诉讼
I therefore find against the petitioner, Desmond Doyle.
谢谢你,霍尔法官 麦克拉福林法官?
Thank you, Judge Hall. Judge McLaughlin?
纵然不情愿,我也决定驳回…
With some reluctance, I conclude that I, too, must find against
原告的上诉,维持原判
the petitioner’s application and uphold the Minister’s decision.
我们输了 那真是太可笑了!
We’ve lost. – That’s absolutely ridiculous!
法庭内请肃静! 你们这群吸血虫,让他孩子回家
Order in court! – You rotten louses. Let his babies go home.
安静,否则全部赶出去
Silence, or I shall have the court cleared.
法庭内请肃静! 他喜欢这样,这个鼠辈
Silence in court! – He’s loving this. The rodent.
无庸置疑的…
It is incontrovertible
根据1941年儿福法案第十节第一小段…
that Section 10, Subsection 1 of the Children’s Act, 1941
需要双亲的同意书
requires the consent of both parents.
少了这份同意书 艾芙琳多伊和她的弟弟…
In the absence of such consent, Evelyn Doyle and her brothers
将继续被照顾至年满16岁
will remain in custody until they are 16 years of age.
爹地!
Daddy!
而且,法庭已决定…
Furthermore, this court has decided
因为儿福法案里无其它解释
that since the Children’s Act is capable of no other interpretation,
任何上诉都是浪费法庭的时间
any appeal would be a waste of the court’s time.
因此不得再上诉
Right of appeal is therefore denied.
不,你这只跳蚤脸老鼠! 谁说的?
No, you flea-faced rat! – Who said that?
是你吗,康诺利?
Was that you, Connolly?
我是休坎尼,在此报导多伊一案…
This is Hugh Canning, the man who broke the Doyle story
报导此轰动新闻的最新发展
covering this sensational new development.
别烦他们
Leave them alone.
手别碰我的孩子!
Get your hands off my kids!
别碰我! 爹地!
Leave me alone! – Daddy!
高等法♥院♥这里场面混乱
Unbelievable scenes here at the High Court.
我从没看过这种事
I’ve never seen anything like it.
戴斯蒙多伊和警♥察♥抵抗想夺回他的孩子
Desmond Doyle struggles with the Gardai for possession of his children.
场面令人为之动容
A pitiful scene to watch.
谁不同情处于这种情形的父亲呢?