especially to a girl of obscurity who may bring him disgrace.
我记得一次,只有我们男人时
In unreserved moments, when only men are present,
我曾听他说过他有一个大家庭 年轻的女士,住在Bath…
I have heard him speak of a large family of young ladies from Bath…
他们每个人都有 20,000 英镑
who all have 20,000 pounds apiece.
相信我,Elton可以说的很激♥情♥
Believe me when I tell you that he may talk sentimentally,
但他做事却很理智
but he will act rationally.
如果我挑了Mr. Elton的话
If I had my heart set on Mr. Elton,
那你的眼睛可就有戏看了
then your opening my eyes would have been a kind service.
– 我可不想照看她 – 别在说了,别说了
– But I care only to watch her grow. – No more, please! No more.
太棒了
Bravo.
谢谢你,Charles
Thank you, Charles.
– Mr. Elton – 什么事?
– Mr. Elton. – Hmm?
Harriet 正在写一本谜语集
Harriet is collecting riddles for a little book,
我想你应该有些有趣的吧
and we knew you would come up with something cunning.
没有呀,我可没那么聪明
No, no, no. I’m not nearly clever enough.
Emma,你不问问我有没有谜语?
Emma, you didn’t ask me to contribute a riddle.
你的性格就是一个谜,我想你太够格了
Your entire personality is a riddle. I thought you overqualified.
– 喔,停 – 早上好,Miss Woodhouse
– Whoa. Stand. – Good morning, Miss Woodhouse.
早上好,Peter
Morning, Peter.
这个是 Mr. Elton给的
This just came from Mr. Elton.
他说这是个谜语
He claims it is a riddle for your collection,
可我看不仅如此!
but I think it is much better!
– 是关于鲨鱼的吗? – 上帝,他为什么要写个有关鲨鱼的谜语?
– Is it about sharks? – For heaven’s sake, why would he write a riddle about sharks?
哦,别让我♥干♥着急了,到底是什么?
Oh, please, I’m in a tremor. Tell me what it means.
我们一起读出来,看看能不能解开
We shall read it aloud so that we may decipher it.
写给…
“For Miss…”
我写这里可以填入Smith小姐
I think we can safely put in Smith.
第一行,国王的富有和华丽展示在何处?
Line one. “My first displays the wealth and pomp of kings,
拥有疆土的国王
lords of the earth their luxury and ease.”
– 国王的华丽展示在皇宫,这个字是Court – 是Court
– A king displays his pomp in court. – Court.
第二行第二句是
Next line. “Another view of man, my second brings;
一个能看到海的帝国的地方!”
behold him there, the monarch of the seas!”
– 这是什么? – 美人鱼?还是三叉戟?
– That is? – A mermaid? A trident?
– 我们猜得对吗? – 亲爱的是轮船,这个字是Ship
– Oh, do you think we shall ever know? – Ship, dear.
对,是轮船
The thing which brings the “king of the sea” is a ship.
谜面是两者的结合
Now for the cream. “But are united.”
– 这两个字应该连接起来! – 那是
– The two terms should be united! – Um…
Court 和ship
The ship and court…
Court
Court…
是求爱,他写信说求爱?
Courtship. He writes to me about courtship?
Harriet 我想Elton的意思我们都很明了了
Harriet, I think we can have no doubt as to Mr. Elton’s intentions.
他想要你
You are his desire.
他需要的只是可以表白的机会
The only thing remaining is for him to find the perfect opportunity to offer proof.
必须找个时候让你们单独相处
We must find a way for the two of you to be alone.
再读读吧!
Let’s read it again and again!
我只希望 Mr. Knightley 可以路过这读读这个
I only wish Mr. Knightley would walk by so that he could read it.
– 下午好! – 下午好 Miss Woodhouse
– Good afternoon! – Good day, Miss Woodhouse.
Mrs. Clark,怎么样了?
Mrs. Clark, how are we?
– 不太好 – 没见好?
– Mustn’t grumble. – No better?
你们给我们带什么来了?
What have you brought us?
真抱歉没帮什么忙
I am sorry I was not more help.
我总是害怕使病人的情况更糟
I’m always afraid I will somehow make a sick person worse.
不会的!
Not at all!
你看,Harriet,那是Mr. Elton的房♥子
Look, Harriet. Mr. Elton’s house.
真是抱歉没有借口进去
Oh, pity I cannot contrive a reason for us to go in.
Miss Woodhouse 我真的想知道你为什么没有结婚
I do so wonder, Miss Woodhouse, that you’re not married.
我不愿意结婚
I have no inducements to marry.
我没钱没地位
I lack neither fortune nor position,
除了我父亲,没有哪个男人重视我
and never could I be so important in a man’s eyes as I am in my father’s.
你会像 Miss Bates那样成为老姑娘吗?
But to be an old maid like Miss Bates.
她真的很可怜
She is a poor old maid,
只有贫穷才使独身可耻
and it is only poverty which makes celibacy contemptible.
有钱的女子可受人尊敬了
A single woman of good fortune is always respectable.
– Mr. Elton! – Mr. Elton
– Mr. Elton! – Mr. Elton.
Miss Woodhouse !Miss Smith!
Miss Woodhouse! Miss Smith!
真巧!
How fortunate!
我正要去拜访 Clarks
I was just on my way to visit the Clarks.
– 我们刚去过那 – 哦
– We were just there. – Oh.
Harriet 真是太好了,让我一块来
Harriet was kind enough to let me join her.
阿,Miss Woodhouse–
Ah, Miss Woodhouse…
能光临寒舍吗?
Um, may I escort you home?
太好了!
Indeed!
Harriet
Harriet,
告诉 Mr. Elton你在Clark家 做了什么
tell Mr. Elton what you did at the Clarks.

Oh.

Um…
她好像怕冷,所以,Miss Woodhouse就…
Well, she seemed to have the chills, so Miss Woodhouse…
在那里看着
Watched…
Harriet 帮她盖了被子
as Harriet tucked that poor lady in,
又用一条毯子和良好的教养温暖了她
warming her with a blanket and her kind nature.
– 亲爱的说说你做的汤 – 汤?
– Tell him about the soup, dear. – The soup?
哦,对不起
Oh! Sorry.
我真不好意思说
Oh, well, I couldn’t really say.
– 别这么谦虚 – 好吧
– Don’t be so modest. – Um, well,
– 我热了… – 汤?
– I heated some… – Soup?
– 是的,是汤 – 哎呀!
– Yes, soup. – Oh, dear! Oh!
我的鞋带
My lace. Oh.
你们先走吧,我能追得上
Please have the goodness to go on and I will rejoin you as soon as I can.
给她喂了汤以后,我把她扶了起来
Well, after having fed her the soup, I lifted her up,
– 把她扶到… – 椅子上?
– and carried her to the, uh… – Chair?
– 火炉边 – 火炉
– Fire. – The fire.
下午好,你去哪?
Good afternoon. Where are you off to?
小姐,是去镇上,买♥♥点肉汤
To town, ma’am, to get some broth.
我能和你一起吗?
Would you let me walk with you?
亲爱的,干吗走这么快?
Dear, must we walk so quickly?
– 妈妈说我得快点 – 你想玩个有戏吗?
– Mum said I should hurry. – Would you like to play a game?
– 你真的这么看? – 是的,真的
– Do you mean it? – I do. I swear I do.
– 真的太好了! – 我喜爱…
– Oh, it’s too wonderful! – I love…
这难道是表白吗?
Can this be? The declaration?
我就是喜爱芹菜根
I simply love… celery root!
他们上的菜就是
And what should they be serving but…
芹菜根
Celery root!
Emma,当心婴儿!
Emma, be careful! The baby!
她很喜欢孩子
It might have an infection.
– 这可能是我们 Knightley家最美的人了 – 谢谢
– This may be the finest Knightley yet. – Thank you.
你和 lsabella 应该早点带她过来
You and Isabella should have brought her sooner.
她看上去很喜欢她姨
And she looks so fetching in the arms of her aunt.
是呀,她们相处真是好?
Yes, don’t they make a splendid pair?
你们从伦敦来,旅途怎么样?
The journey from London, how was it?
如果你能像对孩子一样对待大人
If you accepted adults with as little whim as you do these children,
我们也就不会有意见分歧了
we might always agree.
我们之间的分歧
How fascinating that any discordancy between us…
都是因为我的错,想到这真好笑
must always arise from my being wrong.
不好笑,事实就是如此
Not fascinating, but true.
也许是因为我们年龄上有差距
Perhaps it has something to do with the gap in our ages.
我16岁的时候你才刚出生
I was 16 years old when you were born.
这么说你就能管着我了?
Undoubtedly you’re my superior then.
但是这21年难道还没有弥补这一差距吗?
But hasn’t the lapse of 21 years closed the gap?
只是缩小了一点
Narrowed it.
哎呀,Emma,我们还是别吵了 咱们做朋友吧
Come, dear Emma, let us be friends and quarrel no more.
好呀
Very well.
能否说就意图而言我们俩说的都对呢?
And might I say that we were both right as far as good intentions went.
我只是希望 Mr. Martin不要太失望
I only hope Mr. Martin was not too disappointed.
恐怕任何一个男人都会的
Hmm. No man could be more so.
我真的很抱歉
I’m very sorry.
来,咱们握个手吧
Come… shake hands with me.
– 吃晚饭了 – 好的
– Dinner is served. – Good.
John
John.
亲爱的妹妹 我们几时才能见到你朋友Miss Smith?
Sister, dear, when shall we meet your new friend, Miss Smith?
星期五在Weston家举♥行♥的圣诞宴会上她回来
She will be with us on Friday at the Weston’s Christmas Eve party.
好像她这个假期受益匪浅呀

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!