and we must not forget how shy Miss Smith is.

Oh.
要是我邀请她来呢?
Do you think it would help if I asked her to pose?
哦,Miss Woodhouse,我能看上一眼吗?
Oh, Miss Woodhouse, may I look, please?
我真的等不及了
I cannot wait another second.
难以置信
Incredible.
你把她的美完全的表达了出来
You have expressed her completely.
Mr. Elton,真的?
Mr. Elton, really!
你夸张了吧
You exaggerate.
真的,我一点也没夸张
Indeed, I do not. Nor cannot.
我这么久没画肖像的原因就是
The reason I have not done a portrait in so long…
那对夫妻总是抱怨个没完
is because the spouse always complains.
现在这里没有夫妻了,那我就有了自信
As there are no husbands or wives here, I trust I may proceed safely.
目前没有夫妻,Miss Woodhouse
No husbands or wives… at present, Miss Woodhouse.
你把她画的太高了
You’ve made her too tall.
身材上是画高了
It… may not be Miss Smith’s height in terms of measurement,
不过品格上正好
but it is surely the height of her character.
亲爱的,要是我就会在画上一条披肩
My dear, I would paint a shawl on her…
因为我禁不住在想她或许会着凉的
as one can’t help feeling that she will catch cold.
除了这一点,其他都很好
Otherwise, it is quite splendid.
只需要在装一个画框了
It only wants a suitable frame.
得把画送到伦敦
We will have to get it to London.
能让我来完成这一使命吗?
Might I be entrusted with such a commission?
如果能的话,我将不胜感激
I would be gratified more than words can express.
他想娶我了,你能帮我读读这个吗?
He wants to marry me! Would you mind reading this?
当然!我真没想到 Mr. Elton 向你求婚了!
Certainly not! I cannot believe Mr. Elton proposed!
– 他肯定会的 – 不是Mr Elton,而是Mr. Martin!
– He surely is… – Not Mr. Elton. Mr. Martin, my friend!
是好消息吗,是不是太…短了点?
Is it a good letter or too… short?
是好消息!
It is a good letter!
他的一个姐妹肯定帮了他的忙
One of his sisters must have helped him.
不过风格又不像出自女性的手
Yet, it is not in the style of a woman.
是的,是好消息,你得赶快回信才成
Well, it is a good letter, and you must answer it immediately.
他应该会失望,继续追寻目标了
He must have his disappointment and move on.
你是说我应该拒绝他?
Well, you think I should refuse him?
你不会想答应吧
You did not plan to return an answer favorable to this claim?
当然不
No, I did not.
我不是那个意思
That is, I did not mean…
我拿不定主意,所以才来找你
Um, well… I was not sure. That is why I came to you.
– 我不应该干涉的! – 你的意见我真的很需要
– It’s not my place to intrude! – I depend so on what you think.
我可不能为你决定人生大事!
I would not advise you for the world!
如果在你所认识的人当中 你只喜欢 Mr. Martin
If you prefer Mr. Martin to every other person you know, or may ever know,
如果你认为他最让你心醉
if you think him the most agreeable man you have ever been…
或者你最喜欢与之相处 那你还犹豫干什么?
or ever will be in company with, then why should you hesitate?
可是要是你的话对我不重要的话 我或许可以自己处理
But if you’ll not influence me, I must do as well as I can by myself.
因此
So…
我决定
Well, I am determined to.
我已经下定决心…
And I have really almost made up my mind to…
拒绝Mr. Martin吗?
refuse Mr. Martin?
你认为这是对还是错?错了吗?
Oh, do you think that’s right or wrong? Is it wrong?
既然你已经作了决定,那我就可以告诉你
Now that you have decided, I will share the feelings I kept you in suspense of.
你完全正确
I think you are perfectly right.
是,不过…
Yes. But…
哦,亲爱的,这也许会让他的母亲 姐妹不高兴的
Oh, dear, it will make his mother and sisters most unhappy.
可是还有别的母亲和姐妹呢
Let us think of other mothers and sisters…
想想这个时候谁正忙得不可开交
who may be more cheerfully employed at this moment.
我相信Mr Elton正在把你的那幅画 拿给他的母亲和姐妹看呢
I believe Mr. Elton is showing your picture to his mother and sisters…
他会说你本人比画上的还要漂亮
telling them how the subject is more beautiful than the portrait.
如果他真的拿给家人看的话 我想他只会夸奖你的绘画技巧
If he shows it, I am sure it is only to praise your artistry.
你这样想可就错了
If you are sure, then you are surely wrong.
他这样做其实表露了他内心深处的感情
By showing it to them, he is revealing his deeper intentions…
这样他或许可以写出一封情书来
which may produce a letter of his own.
哦!
Oh!
我不得不承认你做得不错
Very well, I admit it.
你改变了,Harriet Smith
You have improved Harriet Smith.
我希望不止你一人注意到了这一点
I hope you’re not the only man to have noticed.
当然
I’m not.
我相信你的朋友 不久就能听到严肃的话语了
I believe your friend will soon hear something serious.
一些她想听的话
Something to her advantage.
你怎么这么肯定?
Who makes you his confidant?
我有里有这么认为
I have reason to believe that Harriet Smith will soon receive…
一个深爱她的男人会向她求婚
an offer of marriage from a man desperately in love with her.
Robert Martin
Robert Martin.
他两天前到这来询问此事
He came here two evenings ago to consult about it.
他是个好房♥东,一个好朋友
He’s a tenant, you know, and a good friend.
他问我他这么早结婚是不是太仓促了
He asked whether it would be imprudent of him to settle so early.
又问女方是不是太小了,是不是他配不上
Whether she was too young or whether he was beneath her.
Mr. Martin问的问题真妙,我可想不出来
Better questions for Mr. Martin I could not have chosen myself.
我也没听别人这么问过
I never hear better sense from anyone than from Robert Martin.
他向我证明了他可以结得起婚
He proved he could afford to marry,
我说他已经够不错的了
and I said he could not do better.
是呀,够好的了
No, indeed, he could not.
我也告诉你吧
Come. I will tell you something in return.
– 昨天他写了封信给 Harriet – 真的?
– He wrote to Harriet yesterday. – Oh, yes?
是的,他被拒绝了
Yes. He was refused.
什么意思?
I’m not sure I understand.
他求了婚,可是她拒绝了
He asked and she refused.
那我想她比我想象的还傻
Then she is a greater simpleton than I believed.
男人最想不通的事就是
The most incomprehensible thing in the world to a man…
女人会拒绝他的求婚
is a woman who rejects his offer of marriage.
我也不懂,这真是乱七八糟
I do not comprehend it because it is madness.
– 希望你弄错了! – 不可能,我亲眼看到了回信
– I hope you’re wrong! – I could not be. I saw her answer.
你替她写的回信?
You saw her answer?
Emma
Emma.
是你写的,是吧?
You wrote her answer, didn’t you?
就算是我写的,这也没什么不对
If I did, I would have done no wrong.
他配不上Harriet
He is not Harriet’s equal.
– 我同意 – 对
– I agree, he is not her equal. – Good.
在理智与地位上应该是Harriet陪不上他
He is her superior in sense and situation.
Harriet Smith的出生和教育有哪一点
What are Harriet Smith’s claims of birth or education…
高过,Robert Martin?
that make her higher than Robert Martin?
她的出生没人知道
She is the natural daughter of nobody knows whom.
他们的结合对她有利
The advantage of the match was entirely on her side.
什么 ?农夫?
What? A farmer?
就算这个农夫有那么多的优点 又怎么能配得上我的朋友?
Even with all his merit, a match for my dear friend?
和那样的人结婚真是降格
It would be a degradation for her to marry a person…
这样的人我都不愿意认识
whom I could not admit as my own acquaintance.
降格?一个傻瓜
A degradation? For illegitimacy and ignorance…
嫁给一个聪明的农夫算是降格?
to marry to a respected, intelligent farmer?
他可是绅士的女儿
She is a gentleman’s daughter.
不管她的父母是谁 他们没能让她进入好的社会
Whoever her parents, they made no plans to introduce her into good society.
而是留给了Mrs. Goddard Mrs. Goddard又没能让她受到好的教育
She was left with Mrs. Goddard for an indifferent education.
她的朋友认为这对她已经很好了,确实如此
Her friends evidently thought this was good enough for her, and it was.
本来她也这么想的,是你让她飘飘然的
And she thought so too until you began to puff her up!
空虚让一个弱智不知所为了
Vanity working on a weak mind produces every kind of mischief.
你抹杀了了她的魅力与善良
Hmm. You dismiss her beauty and good nature.
如果你们男人…
Yet I would be very much mistaken if your sex in general…
都那样认为的话,那我就认输
does not think those claims the highest a woman could possess.
不管你怎么说,一个有理智的男人
Men of sense, whatever you may say,
是不会娶傻瓜老婆的
do not want silly wives.
记住我的话,Emma
Upon my word, Emma,
像你这样乱耍小聪明的话,还不如傻一点呢
better be without sense than misapply it as you do.
可别杀了我的狗
Try not to kill my dogs.
既然我们在这个问题上一件如此分歧 还是别在谈论下去了
We see so differently on this point that there can be no use canvassing it.
不然只会让彼此升起!
We shall only make each other angry!
啊,我看茶煮好了
Ah, I see the tea is ready.
我们别说了,喝点茶吧
Let’s stop and have some.
很明显,Emma 你已经为你的朋友挑好了人选
Clearly, Emma, you have someone else in mind for your friend.
不过如果这个人是Mr. Elton的话
But if the gentleman you dream of is Mr. Elton,
你的努力可就白费了
your labor is in vain.
作为一个牧师 Elton是不会接受这份不明智的婚姻的
As vicar, Elton is unlikely to make an imprudent match,
特别是新娘是这样一个身份不明的人 或许会让他羞辱呢

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!