I, I shall never forget your kindness, not as long as I live.
不会的,我妈也不会的
Nor, well, nor shall Mother.
你把她眼镜上的铆钉换了后
Since you replaced the rivet in her spectacles,
那副眼镜不仅崭新如初,甚至更好了
not only have they been as good as new, they have been better.
我们真的太感谢了
We are so obliged.
看呀,这房♥子简直就是仙境,不是吗?
Oh, look! Isn’t this room just like a fairyland?
你们看Jane得发型怎么样?她自己弄的
How do you like Jane’s hair? She did it herself.
哦,那是 Hughes一家 我得去打声招呼
Oh, look! There are the Hugheses. I must go and say hello.
Harriet还没有舞伴
Harriet is all alone.
你不跳舞吗,Mr Elton?
Do you not dance, Mr. Elton?
随时奉陪,Mrs Weston 如果你愿意做我的舞伴的话
Most readily, Mrs. Weston, if you will be my partner.
放过我吧,我跳舞可不行 我来给你找一个舞伴吧
Dear me, I’m no dancer. Let me find a better partner for you.
虽然我已经是接过婚的老男人了
Though I am an old married man,
我还是愿意和Mrs Gilbert跳一曲
I should enjoy dancing with Mrs. Gilbert.
Mrs Gilbert刚刚告诉我说她今晚不跳舞了
Mrs. Gilbert told me she does not mean to dance this evening,
不过,我发噢是想看你和另一个人跳一曲 Miss Smith
but I do see a young lady whom I should like to see dancing: Miss Smith.
Miss Smith
Miss Smith.
我还没注意到她呢
I had not observed her there.
你告诉我真得谢谢你了
Well, you’re most obliging to have pointed her out to me,
要是我不是个已经接过婚的老男人 我会很乐意的
and were I not an old married man, I should gladly do the job.
我看我跳舞的日子已经不在了
But my dancing days are over.
那个时候你把她零下舞池…
I can only say that at that moment you took her to the floor…
我真的很自豪又你这样的朋友
I was proud to call you my friend.
Elton夫妇真是不可饶恕
The Eltons are unpardonable.
我必须得说,他们想伤害的不仅仅是 Harriet
I must say, they aim at wounding more than just Harriet.
他们也想揶揄你,Emma为什么会这样?
They seem to want to snub you, too, Emma. Why?
Mrs Elton应该没理由讨厌你吧
Certainly Mrs. Elton has no reason to dislike you.
对我说吧,老朋友
Confess now, old friend.
你真的想过让他娶 Harriet
You did want him to marry Harriet.
是的,就是因为这个他们不肯原谅我
I did, and they cannot forgive me.
天呀我当时的判断怎么这么差
Oh, dear. How could I have made such a misjudgment?
我都22岁了,怎么会…
What is the point in me being almost 22…
我要学的怎么还这么多?
if there is still so much for me to learn?
还有好多你没想到呢
You know more than you realize.
我知道我看错了 Mr Elton
I know I must own to you to be completely wrong about Mr. Elton.
你不我看的透彻
There is a littleness to him which you discovered that I did not.
你夸奖我这么半天
In return for your acknowledging so much,
我要说,你选择他比他选择他自己要好的多
I say that you chose for him better than he chose for himself.
Harriet Smith 有些品质
But Harriet Smith has some first-rate qualities about her…
Mrs Elton绝对没有
which Mrs. Elton is entirely without.
你的朋友让我惊讶
Your friend surprised me, most pleasantly.
Emma,最后一曲了 你想来领歌♥舞吗?
Emma, it’s the last dance. Will you come set the example for your companions?
当然
Gladly.
你和谁跳?
Whom are you going to dance with?
和你,如果你邀请我的话
With you, if you will ask me.
虽然你嘴上说不愿意跳舞 可是你还是跳得不错
You’ve shown yourself a fine dancer despite all your protests,
我们两跳也没什么不对劲的吧
and it should not be improper for us to dance.
毕竟,我们又不是兄妹
After all, we are not brother and sister.
兄妹?不
Brother and sister? No, no.
我们确实不是
Indeed we’re not.
你有什么新闻?
What of your news?
到你家壁炉边我才说
We must wait until we’re at your house in front of the fireplace.
– 只能在那说 – 好吧
– It must happen there. – Very well.
舞会不错吧?
Wasn’t the ball lovely?
不错,真像是梦一样
I had the most wonderful time. It was out of a dream.
没事的,亲爱的,快走吧
It’s all right, dear. Just let’s move a touch more quickly.
– 在说说舞会的事 – 我…
– Tell me more about the ball. – Um, I had such…
– 真是 – 快,抢她的钱包
– It was very… – Quick, get her purse!
包围他们,妈的!
Get around them, damn it!
住手!
Stop! Stop!
滚开!
Stand aside!
我该怎么谢你?你真是勇敢!
How can I ever thank you? How brave you were!
– 怎么谢你呢! – Miss Woodhouse 会处理好的
– I owe you everything! – Miss Woodhouse will make things right.
没有别的事的话,我得去见我父亲了
If I’m no longer needed, I must leave now to meet my father.
当然,谢谢你,真的谢谢
Of course. Bless you for your help. Bless you again and again.
上帝
Goodness.
今天下午真糟!
What an afternoon!
有些事我早该做了
All this trouble to do something I should have done long ago.
对于 Mr Elton,有件事我已经下了决心
I have come to a decision about Mr. Elton.
我和他完了
I am done with him.
我不会原谅他们夫妻在舞会上的所作所为
I shall never forget him or his wife at the ball.
为了表明我的决心,我要毁掉一些东西…
To prove my sincerity, I shall now destroy something…
我以前还把它们当成宝贝呢
which I had thought to treasure always.
你因该知道是什么东西吧
You know what this is, of course.
你忘了?
Can you have forgotten?
Mr Elton弄破了自己的手指 你让我给他包扎伤口
Mr. Elton cut his finger, and you urged me to bind the wound.
我用了太多的绷带,所以我就修剪了一下…
I cut too much bandage, so I trimmed it…
他就把玩着剪下的碎布
and he played with the extra little bit while I finished it up.
然后又忘在了椅子上
He left it by his chair.
我还把这块破布当成宝
And I, in my nonsense, made a treasure of it.
– 亲爱的 Harriet – 我真蠢
– Dear Harriet. – Now that was silly.
还有一件东西真的是他的
But here is something which truly was his.
他留在这里了,我就收了起来
He left it here once and I took it.
我以前保藏着这个…
I used to take it…
握在手里
and hold it.
现在不会了
But no more.
我要毁掉这些东西,你做我的见证
I want to be rid of these things with you as my witness.
我向我该少了它们
I think I should burn them.
我想这是明智之举,也让我送了口气
I think it would be a wise and relieving thing to do.
再见了,Mr Elton
Good-bye, Mr. Elton.
你好 Mr Churchill
Hello, Mr. Churchill.
嗯
Mmm.
你结婚的时候,在婚礼上一定要吃草莓
When you get married, you must eat strawberries at your wedding.
我不会结婚了
I shall never marry.
真的?
Really?
我肯定你已经对某个人有了感情了
I was certain you were developing feelings for someone.
他给你的帮助无疑使他很可爱
The service he rendered you would endear him naturally.
哦,她来救我的时候 我都不知自己怎么想的
Oh, I cannot tell you how I felt when I saw him coming to my rescue.
看见他我从悲伤变成快乐!
I went from agony to utter happiness at the sight of him!
他对你是个好的选择
He is a fine choice for you.
不过在确认他对你有感情之前 别表露出你的感情
But do not let your feelings go until you are sure of his.
我之所以提醒你 是因为我再也不会插手了
I give you this caution now because I am determined never to interfere.
我甚至都不会当着你的面提他的名字
I will not even say his name to you.
如果提到他能标是你的品位的话
Only that raising your thoughts to him is a mark of your very good taste.
我有些好消息
I have some wonderful news.
我为你找了一个工作
I have found a position for you.
是在Bath的一户有品位的人家
It is with a choice family in Bath,
– 工作内容就是… – 很感谢
– and the position is one of… – I’m most obliged,
但我还没有想过要离开Highbury
but I would not consider leaving Highbury.
座位你的保护者,我不能让你那样想
As your protector, I cannot allow you to feel that way.
我想大家都会同意我的
I’m sure everyone agrees with me.
你还有什么选择呢,Jane?
What are your options after all, Jane, hmm?
这些三明治真好,Mrs Elton
These sandwiches are delicious, Mrs. Elton.
你真是一个美食家
You really are a gourmet.
我从不夸奖自己,不过…
Well, I never compliment myself, but…
我的朋友却是说过我会做三明治
my friends tell me I certainly know how to make a sandwich.
– 那么Jane… – 我们玩个游戏好吗?
– Now, Jane… – Shall we all play a game?
我想我们每个人都告诉 Miss Woodhouse 一些有趣的事
I command that we each tell Miss Woodhouse something entertaining.
你们可以说一个特别聪明的故事
You may offer one thing very clever,
两个还算聪明的故事
two things moderately clever,
或是三个愚蠢的故事
or three things very dull indeed.
而Miss Woodhouse都会笑
In return, Miss Woodhouse will laugh heartily at them all.
我不想装成很聪明的样子
I do not pretend to be a wit,
不过我有自己的生活方式
though I have a great deal of vivacity in my own way, of course.
不过在圣诞节的火堆边 还是可以做这些活动的
These diversions are tolerable at Christmas when one is around the fire.
不过依我看来,这真是浪费时间
But in my opinion, it wastes the outdoors.
Miss Woodhouse,你得原谅我了
Miss Woodhouse, you must excuse me.
也原谅我
And me.
我是个结了婚的老男人了
I am an old married man.
我没有任何事可以让 Miss Woodhouse…
I have nothing to say that would please Miss Woodhouse…
或是别的女士开怀大笑的