♪ 它的所有可爱花伴 ♪
♪ All her lovely companions ♪
♪ 都已凋零远去 ♪
♪ Are faded and gone ♪
♪ 它近旁没有花朵 ♪
♪ No flower of her kindred ♪
♪ 没有别的玫瑰花蕾 ♪
♪ No rosebud is nigh ♪
♪ 映衬它的红艳 ♪
♪ To reflect back her blushes ♪
♪ 分担它的忧愁 ♪
♪ And give sigh for sigh ♪
♪ 谁会独自栖息在 ♪
♪ Oh, who would inhabit ♪
♪ 这凄凉的世界 ♪
♪ This bleak world alone? ♪
费尔法克斯小姐
Miss Fairfax.
你没带乐谱真遗憾
What a pity you did not bring your music.
希望我能记得调子
I hope I can recollect the tune.
这世上没人♥弹♥琴比得上你
Nobody in the world plays like you.
我很高兴你邀请费尔法克斯小姐来弹琴
I’m glad you invited Miss Fairfax to play.
她祖母家没钢琴
Having no instrument at her grandmother’s,
她肯定特别想弹
it must be a real indulgence.
我很高兴你赞成
I am glad you approve.
我希望我为哈特菲尔德的宾客
But I hope I am not often deficient
提供的招待不常出现欠缺
in what is due to my guests at Hartfield.
没错
No.
你不常出现欠缺
You are not often deficient.
你相当直白地表示自己不喜欢费尔法克斯小姐
You make it very plain you do not like Miss Fairfax.
人人都觉得我们应该彼此喜爱
Everybody supposes we must be so fond of each other
因为我们年纪相仿
because we are the same age.
从我记事起 我就被告知
Ever since I can remember, I have been told I can find
没有比简·费尔法克斯更好的女伴
no better companion than Jane Fairfax.
她多才多艺 高人一等
She who is so accomplished and so superior.
她确实多才多艺
She is certainly accomplished.
也许你希望大家认为
Perhaps the accomplished young woman
你才是那个多才多艺的年轻女士
you wish to be thought yourself.
三个月 比我希望的久
Three months of doing more than I wish
但比我该做的短
and less than I ought.
那个无情的 泰然自若的雕像
That indifferent, imperturbable statue.
我必须走了
I must go.
哈丽特
Harriet.
我们很想你
We have missed you.
我们的母亲最近还问起你
Our mother’s been asking for you.
你还会再来拜访我们吗
Will you come and visit us again?
当然
Of course.
日安 哈丽特小姐
Good day, Miss Martin.
凯瑟琳·马丁小姐
Miss Catherine Martin.
马丁先生
Mr. Martin.
史密斯小姐
Miss Smith!
附近的路被洪水淹了
Th… The near way is flooded.
你最好从科尔先生的马厩那边走
You would do better going by Mr. Cole’s stables.
那边地势更高
The ground is higher there.
你表现得非常出色
You behaved extremely well.
并且这就结束了
And it is over.
这是初次拜访 不能再发生了
As a first meeting, it cannot occur again.
你不能停留超过一刻钟
You must stay no longer than a quarter of an hour.
不要引起危险的联想
And allow no dangerous reminiscences.
不要激发对过去的追忆
There must be no recurrence to the past.
我要找海布里村 先生
I seek the village of Highbury, sir.
穿过桥 在王冠酒馆左边
Over the bridge, left at The Crown.
你会看到尖塔
You’ll see the steeple.
谢谢
Thank you.
不胜感激
Very much obliged.
到了
Here we are.
-亲爱的 -韦斯顿夫人
– My dear. – Mrs. Weston.
我儿子 弗兰克·丘吉尔先生
My son, Mr. Frank Churchill.
-爱玛·伍德豪斯小姐 -伍德豪斯小姐
– Miss Emma Woodhouse. – Miss Woodhouse.
他是突然来访的
He, uh… he’s caught us quite by surprise.
确实是
Indeed he has.
目前为止我看到的房♥子
There are not many houses in which I would
没有我以为的多 但
presume on so far, sir, but…
既然回到了家 我感觉我可以放肆一点
in coming home, I felt I might take the liberty.
我们计划
We, uh… we had a plan
走路到村里去 爱玛
to walk to the village, Emma.
你想和我们一起吗
Will you join us?
很高兴一起去
I would be delighted.
太好了
Splendid.

Right.
我相信我们有个共同的熟人 简·费尔法克斯
I believe we have a mutual acquaintance in Jane Fairfax.
你们经常在韦茅斯见面吗
Did you meet often at Weymouth?
拜托 让我们进去吧
Pray, let us go in here.
我要证明自己是海布里真正的居民
That I may prove myself to be a true citizen of Highbury,
必须去福德店里买♥♥点东西
I must buy something at Ford’s.
另外你能再说一遍吗 伍德豪斯小姐
And I beg your pardon, Miss Woodhouse,
你之前问了我话
you were speaking to me.
我只是问你是否
I merely asked whether you had known
熟悉韦茅斯的费尔法克斯小姐和她的朋友
much of Miss Fairfax and her party at Weymouth.
现在我明白问题了
And now that I understand the question,
我得说这是个很不公平的问题
I must pronounce it to be a very unfair one.
熟悉程度的决定权
Well, it is always the lady’s right
一向是属于女士的
to decide on the degree of acquaintance.
你的答案和她一样谨慎
You answer as discreetly as she would herself.
不过她的说法引人浮想翩翩
Though her account leaves so much to be guessed
你完全可以
that I really think you may say what you like
尽情说说你们的交情
of your acquaintance with her.
我只知道众所周知的事情
I only know what is generally known.
她很贫穷 地位不高
That she is poor and of no consequence.
我猜这里就是你们举♥行♥舞会的地方了
Here’s where you have your balls, I suppose.
冬天每两周一次
Every fortnight through the winter.
恐怕海布里会让你失望 丘吉尔先生
I am afraid Highbury may yet disappoint you, Mr. Churchill.
我们这里没多少人可以跳舞
We have not society enough for dancing.
但这种规模的酒馆肯定有舞厅
Ah, but an inn of this size must have a ballroom,
只要有舞厅就可以举♥行♥舞会
and where there is a ballroom, there can be a ball.
不跳舞可没法度日
We cannot do without dancing.
这样的事例屡见不鲜
Instances have been known of young people
年轻人常年累月
passing many, many months successfully
不参加任何形式的舞会
without any ball of any description
也没对大脑和身体造成什么损害
and no injury either to body or to mind, but when…
但一旦感受过舞蹈的欢乐
when the felicities of rapid motion have been felt…
恐怕只有心情很沉重的人
it must be a very heavy heart
才会不想享受更多
that does not ask for more.
王冠酒馆
那里面很脏
It is very dirty inside.
亲爱的 亲爱的 你太挑剔了
Oh, my dear, my dear, you are too particular.
烛光之下 它会变得像兰多尔斯一样干净
By candlelight, it’ll be as clean as Randalls.
我们必须举办舞会
We must have a ball.
对 举办舞会时 我能否获得
Yes, and when we do, may I hope for the honor
同您跳开场两支舞的荣幸
of your hand for the first two dances?
科尔一家要在弗兰克的房♥子里开个大派对
The Coles are to hold a supper party in Frank’s honor,
也许也会跳舞
and perhaps there’ll be dancing there.
爱玛·伍德豪斯屈尊接受了
So, Emma Woodhouse deigned to accept
商人科尔先生发出的邀请
an invitation from the merchant Mr. Cole.
丘吉尔先生很快就会回约克郡
Mr. Churchill will soon return to Yorkshire.
我们一定要抓紧他离开前的所有机会
We must make the most of every opportunity until he does.
“一定”
“We must.”
他只会在海布里待两周
He’s in Highbury only two weeks.
但他还花了一整天去伦敦
And yet he spent a whole day going to London
就为了理个发
just to get his hair cut.
25公里 往返加倍
16 miles, twice over.
他是个吹毛求疵的纨绔子弟
He’s a trifling, silly fop.
确实
Indeed.
科尔先生
Mr. Cole.
你们都有非常豪华的宅邸 先生们
Such grand estates you have in common, gentlemen.
唐维尔庄园
Donwell Abbey.
当然很快也会继承恩斯库博
Enscombe, soon to inherit, of course.
很快会继承恩斯库博
Soon to inherit Enscombe.
不太快
Not too soon.
我相信你的舅舅丘吉尔身体康健

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!