I lay it down as a general rule, Harriet,
要是女人犹豫她是否该接受男人时
that if a woman doubts whether she should accept a man or not,
她当然该拒绝
she certainly ought to refuse him.
也许…这样更安全
Perhaps… it is safer.
你觉得我还是拒绝好吗
Do you think I had better say no?
不管怎样我都不会给你建议
Not for the world would I advise you either way.
你的幸福得由你自己做主
You must be the best judge of your own happiness.
我现在
I have now…
非常坚定
quite determined…
我几乎下定决心
and really almost made up my mind…
要
to
拒绝马丁先生
refuse Mr. Martin.
拒绝了
Refused?
那她就比我想象中的更傻了
Then she is a greater simpleton than I ever believed her.
哈丽特·史密斯拒绝了罗伯特·马丁
Harriet Smith refuse Robert Martin?
我…
I…
希望是你弄错了
I hope you are mistaken.
我看到了她的回复
I saw her answer.
我再清楚不过了
Nothing could be clearer.
你看到了她的回复
You saw her answer?
回复是你写的吧 是你干的
You wrote her answer. This is your doing.
爱玛 你劝她拒绝他
Emma, you persuaded her to refuse him.
就算是我劝的 我觉得也没做错
Well, if I did, I should not feel that I had done wrong.
马丁先生是个体面的年轻人
Mr. Martin’s a respectable young man,
但我认为他配不上哈丽特
but I cannot admit him to be Harriet’s equal.
不 实际上在见识和地位方面 他都比她优越
No, indeed, he is her superior in both sense and situation.
爱玛 你对那个女孩的迷恋使你盲目
Emma, your infatuation about that girl blinds you.
不管是在出身 气质还是教养方面
What are Harriet Smith’s claims,
哈丽特·史密斯有哪一点
either of birth, nature or education,
比得上罗伯特·马丁
to any connection higher than Robert Martin?
谁也不知道她哪来的私生女
She is the natural daughter of nobody knows whom.
毫无疑问 她的父亲是一位绅士
There can scarcely be a doubt that her father is a gentleman,
可能根本就没有固定收入
Probably no settled provision at all,
一位有钱的绅士
and a gentleman of fortune!
肯定没有体面的亲戚
and certainly no respectable relations!
她有很多零用钱
Her allowance is very liberal.
她从不吝啬于提升自己
Nothing has been grudged for her improvement.
人们只知道她是一所普通学校的寄宿生
She is known only as a parlor boarder at a common school.
她很漂亮 脾气很好
She is pretty, and she is good-tempered,
-仅此而已 -仅此而已吗
– and that is all. – That is all?
这些美言并非微不足道 奈特利先生
These are not trivial recommendations, Mr. Knightley.
除非男人真的会爱上
Till men do fall in love
有见识的思想 而不是俊俏的面孔
with well-informed minds instead of handsome faces,
一个像哈丽特如此可爱的女孩
a girl with such loveliness as Harriet
无论走到哪里
has a certainty of being admired
都会受到爱慕和追求
and sought after wherever she goes.
如果你们男人不认为这就是通常来说
I am very much mistaken if your sex, in general,
女人所能具备的最高品质
would not find these qualities
那我就大错特错了
the highest claims a woman could possess.
的确 爱玛
Upon my word, Emma,
听到你如此强词夺理
to hear you abusing the reason you have
就几乎能让我也这么想了
is almost enough to make me think so, too.
与其像你这样自作聪明
Better to be without sense altogether
还不如完全没有见识
than to misapply it as you do.
有见识的男人不需要愚蠢的妻子
Men of sense do not want silly wives.
更谨慎的男人会担心
And more prudent men would be afraid of the inconvenience
一旦她的身世被揭露出来
and disgrace that they might be involved in
他们可能会被卷入麻烦和耻辱之中
when the mystery of her parentage came to be revealed.
让她嫁给罗伯特·马丁
Let her marry Robert Martin,
这样她就能永远安全 并受人尊敬
and she is safe and respectable forever.
但如果你教她要有远大的结婚目标
But if you teach her to expect to marry greatly,
在她力所能及的范围内 她会看不上任何人的
nobody within her reach will ever be good enough for her.
你为哈丽特制定的计划最好别传出去
Your plans for Harriet are best known only to yourself.
但既然你毫不掩饰你对做媒的热爱
But as you make no secret of your love of matchmaking,
那我不妨猜想一下你的计划
it is fair to suppose the plans you have.
作为你的朋友
And as a friend…
我得提醒你
I shall just hint to you
如果你的目标是埃尔顿
that if Elton is the man that I think,
你会白费力气的
it will be your labor in vain.
他知道自己是个英俊的年轻男子
He knows that he is a very handsome young man
无论在哪里都是最受欢迎的
and-and a great favorite wherever he goes,
但当只有男人在场时
but from his general way of talking
从他的谈吐中能听出
when there are only men present,
他不会浪费自己的优势
I’m convinced that he does not mean to throw himself away.
我非常感谢你让我开阔了眼界 奈特利先生
I’m very much obliged to you for opening my eyes, Mr. Knightley,
但你要知道 我现在已经不想再做媒了
but know that I am done with matchmaking for the present.
我只想让哈丽特待在我身边
I only want to keep Harriet for myself.
太好看了
It’s so beautiful!
你肯定花了不少钱
You certainly spared no expense.
♪ 听啊 听啊 天使带来了 ♪
♪ Hark, hark, what news the angels bring ♪
Hark! Hark what news
冬
♪ 好消息 ♪
♪ Glad tidings of ♪
♪ 好消息 ♪
♪ Glad tidings of… ♪
♪ 新生儿的好消息 ♪
♪ Glad tidings of a new born kid. ♪
-我一人负责调♥教♥孩子们 -你必须…
– …me to do all the disciplinary action to the children. – You must…
-这是你的责任 -这太不公平了
– You, it is your responsibility – It is utterly unfair.
你的责任就是教宝宝在喝奶时
and your responsibility to teach the baby to drink milk…
这不仅是我的责任
It is not only my responsiility.
别洒到我最爱的裤子上
…without spilling it all over my favorite trousers.
那是奶妈的责任 不是…
That is the nurse’s responsibility, not…
爱玛 他们来了
Emma, they’re here.
我受不了了
That was unendurable.
丈夫 注意你的行为
Husband, comport yourself.
-爸爸 -伊莎贝拉
– Papa. – Isabella.
爱玛
Emma.
我一直很遗憾 今年秋天你去了海边
I shall always be sorry you went to the sea
而不是回家拜访
this autumn instead of coming here.
为什么会感到遗憾 先生
But why should you be sorry, sir?
这趟旅程给我们带来了很大的好处
It did us a great deal of good.
恰恰相反 约翰·奈特利先生看起来不大好
On the contrary, Mr. John Knightley looks far from well.
我们的医生强烈推荐
Southend was strenuously recommended
-去索森德 先生 -享受海上空气和海水浴
– by our physician, sir. – Sea air and sea bathing.
大海对人没什么用
The sea is rarely of use to anybody.
有一次它差点害死我
It nearly killed me once.
好了
Come.
请你们别再说大海了
I must beg you not to speak of the sea.
这让我很难受
Makes me miserable.
也很羡慕 我可从来没见过海
And envious– I who have never seen it.
温菲尔德先生特别强调索森德
Mr. Wingfield specified that Southend
是一家人出行最好的去处
was the best place to go for the family.
也许你该换个医生了
Perhaps you should change your physician.
他是我丈夫推荐的
he was recommended by my husband.
康沃尔或许还能接受
Cornwall might have been forgivable,
但索森德
but Southend?
我们和好吧
Let us be friends.
告诉你的姨妈爱玛 她错了
Tell your aunt, little Emma, that she was very wrong
她应该给你做个更好的榜样
and she ought to set you a better example.
怎么了 发烧了吗
What is the matter? Is there fever?
奶妈在哪里 我来抱她
Where is the nurse? Give her to me.
-她发烧了吗 -我不知道
– Is she feverish? – I do not know.
我不知道 奶妈在哪里
I-I do not know. Wh-Where is the nurse?!
-请佩里过来 -别请佩里
– Send for Perry. – Do not send for Perry.
请佩里过来
Send for Perry!
人必有一死…
As death follows life…
就善意而言
As… far as good intentions went, um…
我们都是对的
we were both in the right.
我得承认 我还没有被证明是错的
I must admit, I have not yet been proved wrong.
奈特利先生
Mr. Knightley.
马丁先生很失望吗
Was Mr. Martin very disappointed?
他失望得不得了
A man cannot be more so.
伍德豪斯小姐来了